Need advice: Difficult decision

ohhbother

Hi everyone.

We just returned from the Celebrity Eclipse. While on board, I booked next year's British Isles cruise on the Infinity. I got all the benefits of on-board booking -- including a terrific OBC.

Here's the dilemma. This cruise is a Christmas present for my husband. We've never been to Europe, and it's his dream to go to Scotland. Specifically, he wants to go to the Orkney Islands. The Celebrity itinerary includes several stops in Scotland -- but not the Orkney Islands.

Alternatively, Princess is also offering a British Isles itinerary next year. And, of course, it includes the Orkney Islands. But the trip costs significantly more. And it's on the Caribbean Princess. Our first and only Princess cruise was on the Caribbean Princess, and we weren't impressed. We didn't like the stateroom, the food was average, and the pools were too deep (husband can't swim).

So now I don't know what to do. We love Celebrity, and we got a great deal with the booking. But I'm pretty sure in my heart of hearts my husband will be disappointed if we miss the Orkney Islands.

So what would you do -- keep the great Celebrity booking or cancel it and go with Princess?

I would keep the Celebrity cruise and after he recieves it as a present you can than discuss whether he wants to switch to Princess for the Orkney Islands.

I have booked the British Isles on Princess twice before and both times cancelled to go on some other cruise.Prices did not increase from my original booking so I think you would be okay. If you are afraid of a price increase than just deposit both. It would be refundable up to final payment.

How about taking a trip to the Orkneys either before or after the cruise.

Good suggestion made above. Since this is your first trip to Europe, you will have lots of opportunities to go back . . . again . . . and again!! Lots of great options for Europe trips in the Baltic, the Med, Norway Coast, Croatian Coast, Greece, etc., etc.

If you don't make the Orkneys on this trip, then there is always the next one. Lots of great potentials for Europe visits.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,680 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Our first cruise (ever) is coming up this year. We've always traveled before by land/air. I vote for a pre or post cruise to the Islands because you may as well take advantage of the air fare since you already over there:)

Our first cruise (ever) is coming up this year. We've always traveled before by land/air. I vote for a pre or post cruise to the Islands because you may as well take advantage of the air fare since you already over there:)

This is great advice. I've been to Scotland twice for business. It's a lovely country with lovely people. You should do it justice by spending more than a day or two. Visit the Orkney Islands pre or post cruise and enjoy it. Make sure to pack some warm clothes. That North Sea wind can be brutal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney

Have a safe and fun cruise!

I know it looks on the map like we only live on a dot of an island but the Orkneys are a lonnnnnnggggg way from Southampton, Dover or wherever the cruise terminates. Long as in a sensible 2 day drive with at least a ferry in the journey or else a 6 hour sailing from Aberdeen.

Air travel from London will get you 2/3 of the way there, but it is the easy 2/3 and the sightseeing starts after you land. Mind you, the scenery will be magnificent and the whole of the north of Scotland is worth a look so long as the weather is half decent.

If you want to go air all the way then there are smaller planes from Glasgow and Edinburgh but the journey cost isn't cheap.

A friend of mine used to take a 3 week holiday there every year. He loves the scenery, the tranquility and all that comes with it. When he fell and broke his ankle badly he had to be flown to Manchster then home by ambulance. His wife arrived in the car late the following day.

The Orkneys are spectacular. But I suggest you check how much he really wants to see them on this journey or else add plenty of extra days to your holiday.

I know it looks on the map like we only live on a dot of an island but the Orkneys are a lonnnnnnggggg way from Southampton, Dover or wherever the cruise terminates. Long as in a sensible 2 day drive with at least a ferry in the journey or else a 6 hour sailing from Aberdeen.

Air travel from London will get you 2/3 of the way there, but it is the easy 2/3 and the sightseeing starts after you land. Mind you, the scenery will be magnificent and the whole of the north of Scotland is worth a look so long as the weather is half decent.

If you want to go air all the way then there are smaller planes from Glasgow and Edinburgh but the journey cost isn't cheap.

A friend of mine used to take a 3 week holiday there every year. He loves the scenery, the tranquility and all that comes with it. When he fell and broke his ankle badly he had to be flown to Manchster then home by ambulance. His wife arrived in the car late the following day.

The Orkneys are spectacular. But I suggest you check how much he really wants to see them on this journey or else add plenty of extra days to your holiday.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Sue

My suggestion would be to do them pre or post cruise. Fly up to Inverness from Gatwick (cheaply with Easyjet or Flybe) and then hire a car at the airport and drive up the beautiful East coast and get the quick ferry across to the Islands! It will be about a three or four hour drive depending on how much you stop and whether you detour to John O Groats. The new Pentland ferry takes about an hour and you'll be in the Orkneys :)

If the timings work you can be there in the same day, you can also fly up from Inverness but you would miss the beautiful scenery :)

My suggestion would be to do them pre or post cruise. Fly up to Inverness from Gatwick (cheaply with Easyjet or Flybe) and then hire a car at the airport and drive up the beautiful East coast and get the quick ferry across to the Islands! It will be about a three or four hour drive depending on how much you stop and whether you detour to John O Groats. The new Pentland ferry takes about an hour and you'll be in the Orkneys :)

If the timings work you can be there in the same day, you can also fly up from Inverness but you would miss the beautiful scenery :)

Do a pre cruise trip, the scenery is worth the journey.:D

ohhbother

As our Scottish friends will tell you, it can get quite breezy around Orkney and the Pentland Firth. The cruise itinerary can be changed at the last minute and Kirkwall could be missed if the weather is not good enough. It would be a pity if you changed the cruise of your choice and then still missed Orkney.

My Son in Law comes from Orkney and visists once or twice a year. The complete flight is quite expensive and I agree with the others that it would be better to take a "no frills" flight up to Scotland and then hire a car to drive the rest of the way to Orkney via the ferry.

This is great advice. You need to decide how important a visit to the Orkenys is, and if it is a priority, you would be better making a separate trip before or after your cruise. Ships' itineraries can be changed at the last minute and to plan your whole cruise around one port of call is risking huge disappointment.

I would also agree that you need to add plenty of extra time for a trip to the Orkneys. We live on a small island and know only too well how unexpected bad weather or problems with boats and planes can play havoc with the best-laid plans.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and if you don't get to the Orkneys this trip, you have a reason to come back another time!:)

I agree with the others about the pre or post cruise trip. We have cruises twice on Princess, (Caribbean Princess & the Grand), and just not impressed. We are trying to decide on a trip to Australia, and if we should cruise a transpacific and around Australia, or a land trip. We won't even consider Princess.

I would surprise DH with the cruise, then ask him about the extra days to the islands, and be sure to have it all planned out with pricing, places to see and weather conditions. Be sure to remind him how ships itinetaries can change along with the weather.

We are Celebrity-preferred cruisers, but enjoyed our Princess Around the UK cruise, but understand if you didnt enjoy the Caribbean Princess. It would get pretty expensive adding the Orkenys on your own, and if that is a major destination, I would consider Princess. And if at all possible, do it in August. The Tatoo is in August at the Edinburgh Castle and it is fantastic. You have a very late stay in Glasgow (both Princess and Celebrity) to bus over and see it. It was our highlight. It is only in August.

We agree with the poor cabins on Princess and we bit the bullet and got mini-suites when we wanted a better cabin that allowed us to socialize, but realize this is a very port-intensive cruise and the Princess cruise only has one At Sea day. The Celebrity is longer (and cheaper!), and has more so the Ship type is more important.

Good luck on your decision. Either way, I bet you'll love it!

Den

Isn't taking a budget flight going to give the OP a problem with their luggage? They will presumable have a lot more luggage for their cruise than they will want to pay for on the budget flights.

Sue

For Easyjet you would get a piece of hand luggage free each and then they would need to pay for each piece of checked luggage 20kg per case, this usually costs about £9 per case.

You could leave larger cases at the left luggage lockers at Gatwick airport maybe? :)

Well what can I add that has not been said? When I am stuck and need advice in what to do, I often reference one of the wisest philosophers known to man... Yoda

Hmmmm great choice you have.

I sense your uncertainty and you let emotions cloud your judgment.

You must unlearn what you have learned.

Stretch out with your feelings and let the force guide you.

Do or do not, there is not try.

I think I would take Princess which goes to exactly where your husband wants to go. You can always go on another X cruise. I'm saying this because we're older and have learned that you strike while the iron is hot and do what you want while you're able -- you don't know what the future holds. In your case, you know there is a ship going to the Orkneys, but you can't guarantee another will at a later date. That wouldn't involve several small flights, little luggage being allowed or the expense of pre or post cruising. This is just an opinion from someone who is in their early 70's and weighs every consideration.

Good luck and happy cruising, no matter which decision you make.:) And Merry Christmas to your husband!!!

And now for something different.

Do the Celebrity cruise. See all you can on your port days. Make notes of where you have missed/ would like to spend more time. Then plan for a land trip in the next couple of years taking in all you wish to see more of and finish in the Orkneys. As has already been said ....on a map it is just a dot in the ocean ....in real life it is chock a block full of beauty and history.

Cheers, h.

It is what I would like to do with Europe; I have cruised the Med now I need a land tour to see more of my favorite places.

Cruises are like taster plates, they give you a sampling so you can decide what you want more of.

I think I would take Princess which goes to exactly where your husband wants to go. You can always go on another X cruise. I'm saying this because we're older and have learned that you strike while the iron is hot and do what you want while you're able -- you don't know what the future holds. In your case, you know there is a ship going to the Orkneys, but you can't guarantee another will at a later date. That wouldn't involve several small flights, little luggage being allowed or the expense of pre or post cruising. This is just an opinion from someone who is in their early 70's and weighs every consideration.

Good luck and happy cruising, no matter which decision you make.:) And Merry Christmas to your husband!!!

This is good advice too. If she hasn't made final payment then she can just get a refund on the deposit and reschedule with Princess.

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments and advice. While I'd love to do a post-trip visit to the Orkneys, we both still work (He's 43, and I'm 39), so we're already pushing it taking a two-week vacation. We're both in senior management roles, and it's hard to be away that long.

Because this is his gift, I want it to be perfect for him. And I think that means we take the Princess cruise that gives him a shot of getting to his dream destination. Even if we miss the port, we'll have tried.

Again, thanks. And, funny story -- here's WHY he wants to go to the Orkney Islands so much. He's a huge Eurythmics fan, and the video for his favorite song -- Here Comes the Rain Again -- was filmed there. Giving him a trip there will help him realize a dream he's had since that music video was released in the 1980s.

Again, thanks. And, funny story -- here's WHY he wants to go to the Orkney Islands so much. He's a huge Eurythmics fan, and the video for his favorite song -- Here Comes the Rain Again -- was filmed there. Giving him a trip there will help him realize a dream he's had since that music video was released in the 1980s.

I think that this is fantastic. It reminds us all that our dreams are very individual and others cannot necessarily understand what is important to us, and why.

Sue

Archived