never EVER leave valuables in your bag!

jks336

To me the one thing that really rings untrue about this is the fact that they walked up to the CCL checkin desk with no id, no credit card, no passport? They always ask for that. Was he just carrying a wad of cash in his pocket with no id? Makes no sense. Just sayin...:rolleyes:

Dont set a box of booze out when you set out your suitcase the last night. (someone said they didnt check, and when they got home the bottles were half empty, or changed, other reports).

This is why I hate that Carnival confiscates the liquor you buy in port. On my first Carnival cruise I bought a bottle of tequila and a bottle of rum in Cozumel, both stuff I couldn't find at home. They confiscated it, but I never received it. They couldn't tell me if they'd left it outside of the wrong room and the person had just taken it, or if they'd left it outside of my room and someone had stolen it. In return they "let" me take two bottles of booze from the cruise ship store...but all they had left at this point was Absolut vodka and Crown Royal. So...not the same. I didn't even bother buying liquor in port on my last Carnival cruise because of this.

Let's say the OP had a travel folder with passport and other documents in their hand, ready to board. In all the confusion, put the wallet in the carry-on, thinking they would be taking it on with them anyway. Fast forward...carrying the bag, gets to that first check point, and was told to check it. All excited, with that travel folder in hand, completely forgot about that wallet in the carry on. It's possible this is what happened. I hate to think they would have intentionally left that wallet in there.

Forgive me, but I always try to find another reason why/how something can happen, without jumping to conclusions. People do things in a moment of excitement they would not ordinarily do. I would love to hear his/her answer for how this came about.

No, I have not had it happen to me. :)

This is why I hate that Carnival confiscates the liquor you buy in port. On my first Carnival cruise I bought a bottle of tequila and a bottle of rum in Cozumel, both stuff I couldn't find at home. They confiscated it, but I never received it. They couldn't tell me if they'd left it outside of the wrong room and the person had just taken it, or if they'd left it outside of my room and someone had stolen it. In return they "let" me take two bottles of booze from the cruise ship store...but all they had left at this point was Absolut vodka and Crown Royal. So...not the same. I didn't even bother buying liquor in port on my last Carnival cruise because of this.

Some times you can get around this. If you reboard when its crowded and there are a couple of people at the check in booze desk .. I've been known to just pause and look and if they are not hearing the xray guys, keep on walking.

I had 7 little airline bottles of booze they never told me to check.

Some buy a cheap bottle and a expensive bottle. If they absolutely have to check it .. pull out the cheap bottle and not the expensive bottle and check it .. and walk to your cabin with the more expensive bottle.

I dont even drink that much .. just dont trust them.

btw they put the bottles in your cabin .. not out in the hall .. but maybe you caught them at a change when they were leaving them in the hallway .. doesnt make sense they would tell you they left it out in the hall at a different door.

It's not fair to blame the poster for someone else stealing their belongings. I hate this mentality.

But a little common sense could have prevented this. For instance I dont leave my car parked on the street with the windows down and keys in the ignition. Nobody SHOULD steal it, but......:rolleyes:

Wow. Nobody could be that (trusting/stupid?). Leaving aside the theft issue, and assuming everyone is honest, you leave all your cash and wallet in a carry-on that you know you wont get back for at least 2 and a half hours and maybe until nine that night? Even if you did not think about the possibility of theft that is still just plain weird.

But a little common sense could have prevented this. For instance I dont leave my car parked on the street with the windows down and keys in the ignition. Nobody SHOULD steal it, but......:rolleyes:

I stand by my words. It's not Carnival's fault, it's not the cruiser's fault, it's not the porter's fault, it's not the receptionist's fault.

The only person at fault is the person who stole the property. I agree, you should protect your assets if they are important to you, but you are not at fault if you don't. It's the suggestive clothing/rape argument and it just doesn't hold water in my book or in the eyes of the law.

Well...I'm "an experienced" cruiser :), and experienced world traveler :)....

and my husband and I split the cash. Some in my pocketbook, some in his pocket...and some in the carry-ons.

The OP didn't know that he could carry on his carry-on when he was told that he had to check it. On his honeymoon...in the rush of things...with all the excitement.....

And he never said his passport was in there.........

Maybe the wife was carrying the passports (as most wives do)....and the credit cards (again, as most wives do).

I don't know why people keep repeating and repeating that it's his fault...blah blah blah....

The only thing he did wrong was hand the carry ons over to someone...which he thought was what he was supposed to do.

No...I don't hand my carry ons to someone. But I'm probably 3 times the OPs age....and have a lot more life experience.

I'm glad he didn't post on CC...imagine being flamed for sharing your bad experience!

Parents leave their most precious possession with strangers everyday...."the babysitter". IMHO a far more dangerous thing than leaving cash in a carry on.

Have a little sympathy.......

incharge, true excitement always can make ppl forget things, but still overall, why would anyone put it in a carryon bag. i have traveled with a carryone and STILL important stuff is in my bag that I carry myself. not to get checked without me being there

and bryanhoop, they are blaming everyone else. in todays world, it is unfortuneate that we can not be trusting and in that light, a person needs to take some precaution! Heck, where i've lived now for 20 odd years we could leave our keys in the car, doors unlocked. can't anymore.

mstabbycats, i did post to that poster on carnival in which i did sympathize that it happened. Even on my very first trip, and was excited as well as i am on any trip when i get to go away i NEVER put my money anywhere other than on my person.

The TSA would have checked the luggage at the airport, and not at the ship. Its too often that people check bags that have valuables in them. If you wouldnt leave the bag unattended fearing someone may steal it, chances are you shouldn't check the bag(on a plane/or ship). You never know who it will come into contact with.

Besides the obvious employees who could get at your bag. At the airport people will sometimes hang around baggage claim and just grab a bag and try to leave with it. On the ship it may sit outside your cabin for hours before you come to claim it.

Its very easy to decifer the difference between a carry on(usually smaller, and fits under the seat in the aircraft or clearly be a laptop carry on) So if someone saw it outside the cabin it could be an easy snag.

Generally I try to take a carry on, and carry it on whenever possible.(flying or cruising.) I just got on the Elation this morning. I carried everything on, and was in the room, and unpacked by 1:30. The other thing people always put in there bags and shouldnt is medication.

As I understand it TSA does have jurisdiction at cruise terminals but for the foreseeable future are channeling their efforts to airports.

Nope. They have no jurisdiction. They can provide suggestions, but by definition they are the Transportation Security Administration and cruise ships don't fall under the transportation category.

TSA is free to screw up airplanes, trains, buses, things like that.

I stand by my words. It's not Carnival's fault, it's not the cruiser's fault, it's not the porter's fault, it's not the receptionist's fault.

The only person at fault is the person who stole the property. I agree, you should protect your assets if they are important to you, but you are not at fault if you don't. It's the suggestive clothing/rape argument and it just doesn't hold water in my book or in the eyes of the law.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything and I do not believe its any kind of stretch to make out a negligence or gross negligence claim against Carnival or the Baggage Handling company. They are entrusted the property of their passengers and have a duty to safeguard it. Making out a negligence case requires a showing of the existence of a duty, a breach of that duty, causation and damages. I think all the elements are met in this case.

I totally disagree that the cruiser is not partially to blame. They are the only ones responsible for the safe keeping of their own valuables but they willingly handed over these items without a single thought. A duh moment for sure but they did it all the same

As Indiana posted, leaving a care unattended with the windows down and the key in the ignition - do you really think that's a good idea??

I agree completely with your statement. In THIS instance, I have a hard time feeling any pity for this cruiser based on their own lack of common sense.

I feel bad for what happened to them, But don't understand one part of the story:

"TSA notice of baggage inspection inside clearly showing that they did open luggage and performed a manual inspection."

When did TSA start working at cruise terminals?

I think he said it was a TSA "like" document or something like that...........But that sounds fishy b/c doesn't Carnival call you to the naughty room if they need to search your stuff?

Another thing, that was pointed out by someone over there, is HOW did they board with out ID, which seems to have been in the luggage.

Let me sum it all up in a few short words.

HE IS A DUMB AZZ

ONLY A REALLY DUMB PERSON WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT. Its time for him to put on his big boy pants on and take a long look in the mirror.

I know some one else took the stuff, but what he did was just plain stupid...

It is too bad... But how did they check in without credit card or id if in the carry on? Too bad this happened but everyone has one bad experience and learns. My sisters at LAX checked their bags at the outside terminal several years ago. The bags never turned up. They lost a bunch of stuff - I've never done curbside checking since.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything and I do not believe its any kind of stretch to make out a negligence or gross negligence claim against Carnival or the Baggage Handling company. They are entrusted the property of their passengers and have a duty to safeguard it. Making out a negligence case requires a showing of the existence of a duty, a breach of that duty, causation and damages. I think all the elements are met in this case.

Good luck. Where they have the OP's around the proverbial balls is the fact that he will not be able to (imho) be able to show damages. Unless he can have an verifiable way to prove that he did in fact have the items and cash immediately before he boarded then he is SOL.

OTOH, if he is successfull, I recall losing about $10,000,000 in the same fashion.

I have had some major brain farts in my time but wallets, passports, documents, cell phone, camera NEVER leave my body until final screening where I watch it go in and come out and no one touches it unless I am present. It is a hard lesson learned and maybe can be put down to NEVER having travelled before and not knowing or like I say a MAJOR BRAIN FART

Archived