price drop after final payment

spkinva

We have noticed a price drop in our AQ cabin but we have already paid in full. Do you know if we are still able to get OBC or otherwise?

Won't hurt to ask... you don't ask, you don't get! In this case, even if you ask, you may not get! According to the fine print, the cruise line is not obligated to give you anything after final payment. Sometimes they will.:)

It is common for the price to drop after final payment as they want to get rid of as many rooms as possible. Don't count on getting anything. They would have to give something to every guest that booked early. They fine print is there for a reason. Sorry, enjoy your cruise

I wouldn't describe it as 'fine print', but as business. It isnt some bait and switch, or some trick done on you and Yes, you can ask if you can get the price being offered to new bookings. and you can also ask if you could get a free upgrade from an inside to a Celebrity Suite too. can't expect to get it if you don't try.......or you could just relax, get ready for your cruise and enjoy what you have, and what you thought was acceptable since you agreed to it.

Not trying to be a smarty, just Suggesting how not to get wrapped up in the 'someone is getting a better deal than I am and that ruins my cruise' syndrome.

A few have got what they describe as good deals after final payment, but the great majority don't snd more than a few get angry over the perceived rippoff when they start down that road of asking for prices they aren't privy to.

Enjoy your cruise.

Den

Just an FYI. There was a price drop on our AQ cabins after I made final payment. I got in touch with our online travel agent and he explained that we could get the price drop if we cancelled the booking and rebooked. I called Celebrity to confirm that this would work. They said it would.

And it did. We got the same cabins (because he rebooked immediately) and saved $800 for the four of us. The savings would have been greater but you do pay a cancellation fee.

One caveat: I did lose all of our reservations including one for a bev package that I hadn't gotten 10% off. So, in the end, I only saved about $400. And it took a couple of hours to rebook everything. A bit frustrating.

I just sent my Celebrity rep an email asking about the recent price drop (which would save me another $2000). Would definitely switch and go through the hours of rebooking work to save that kind of money as long as I get the same cabins.

Just an FYI. There was a price drop on our AQ cabins after I made final payment. I got in touch with our online travel agent and he explained that we could get the price drop if we cancelled the booking and rebooked. I called Celebrity to confirm that this would work. They said it would.

And it did. We got the same cabins (because he rebooked immediately) and saved $800 for the four of us. The savings would have been greater but you do pay a cancellation fee.

One caveat: I did lose all of our reservations including one for a bev package that I hadn't gotten 10% off. So, in the end, I only saved about $400. And it took a couple of hours to rebook everything. A bit frustrating.

I just sent my Celebrity rep an email asking about the recent price drop (which would save me another $2000). Would definitely switch and go through the hours of rebooking work to save that kind of money as long as I get the same cabins.

That was a good deal...

We have noticed a price drop in our AQ cabin but we have already paid in full. Do you know if we are still able to get OBC or otherwise?

The answer would be Otherwise. Specifically, you can upgrade to a cabin that's now going for the same price or less that you paid, or to one that's a higher price by paying the difference. The exception would be if the price drop was the result of a NBO (new bookings only) special. And, of course, the higher class cabin must be available to book.

If you've paid in full, but final payment date hasn't passed yet, you can certainly get a refund, OBC, or perhaps an upgrade (if applicable). Many people go ahead and pay before the actual final payment date. Check and see if that's the case with your sailing.

If it is past final payment, you can't cancel and rebook (another poster said they did that, but that's not possible....the only way that could have occurred is if their TA made their final payment earlier than it was actually due...many TA's do that in case there are last minute snafu's with final payment). I'm not saying that poster is lying, I'm just saying once you are past final payment, you will be penalized if you cancel and rebook. Perhaps the penalty they paid was less than what they were saving by rebooking, but I wouldn't take what occurred in their case as the norm.

Jo-Ann

The current rule is that after final payment the only option is to upgrade to a higher category by paying the difference between the current price for that cabin and what you paid for the one you have.

However, as other people have commented, Celebrity is inconsistent in their enforcement of this policy, so you might be able to get a price reduction anyway.

If you've paid in full, but final payment date hasn't passed yet, you can certainly get a refund, OBC, or perhaps an upgrade (if applicable). Many people go ahead and pay before the actual final payment date. Check and see if that's the case with your sailing.

A NBO special can occur prior to final payment, so not in all cases.

• 1 month later...

Do you know if Celebrity will allow you to switch to a cheaper category after final payment? A guarantee veranda is $700 less than what I paid for my veranda but we are after final payment. Can I switch without penalty and if so, will the refund be in OBC or credit card?

Thanks!

Do you know if Celebrity will allow you to switch to a cheaper category after final payment? A guarantee veranda is $700 less than what I paid for my veranda but we are after final payment. Can I switch without penalty and if so, will the refund be in OBC or credit card?

Thanks!

Sorry, but you can't go to a lower category after fianl payment.. As others have mentioned you can go to a higher category after final payment. I've done this many times.

I'm thinking that you paid on the Travel Agents "final pay't" date which is sometimes 2 weeks before Celebrity's due date. Then the would make sense as you were still prior to "real" due date so you could cxl and rebook.

Thanks!

Your best bet (your ONLY bet, really) is to see what is now priced equivalent to what you have paid or just a tad higher--that will be your option. So maybe you could move up to CC or AQ or even a Sky Suite. But it has to be equal to or more than what you have paid. Even if AQ if $200 LESS than you paid, you won't be able to switch, at least in my experience and all the reports I have seen posted here. Good luck! Come back and let us know how you fare!

You won't be able to switch unless you pay celebrity $1 more for the new cabin. We tried to change/upgrade cabins because the higher priced cabin was now exactly what we had paid and we were refused....because it was not $1 more.

Dan Hanrahan never responded to my letter pointing out how stupid the policy was....

You won't be able to switch unless you pay celebrity $1 more for the new cabin. We tried to change/upgrade cabins because the higher priced cabin was now exactly what we had paid and we were refused....because it was not $1 more.

Dan Hanrahan never responded to my letter pointing out how stupid the policy was....

Hanrahan probally never saw your letter. There are about 10 people in the Miami office who read all the letters and decide which, if any, will be forwarded to Hanrahan.

That is sad. I recall a RCI cruise I booked in 2009 where I "downgraded" from a balcony to a balcony guarantee and they gave me the difference in OBC after final payment. I understand changing the policy, I guess, since the low fares are for last minute cruisers but it still sucks. LOL!

In the past, the people who booked early seemed to get the better deal. Now since the policy changed, the people that book last minute get the deal. It's totally unfair in my opinion. I guess they have to favor either the early booker or late booker, not both. Our last cruise dropped a good amount after final payment too. :(

This thread cracks me up. A few weeks ago someone asked when was the BEST time to book a cruise. I replied, "after final payment". I took so much grief for that, endured all manner of insulting comments impugning my character, etc. and now this thread that seems to indicate that I wasn't so far off after all!!!

I know that philosophy doesn't work for everyone, but if you can work it out, booking after final payment can be a fantastic deal.

This thread cracks me up. A few weeks ago someone asked when was the BEST time to book a cruise. I replied, "after final payment". I took so much grief for that, endured all manner of insulting comments impugning my character, etc. and now this thread that seems to indicate that I wasn't so far off after all!!!

I know that philosophy doesn't work for everyone, but if you can work it out, booking after final payment can be a fantastic deal.

Cathy - a few years ago I wouldn't have agreed with you, but that was before Celebrity built its mega ships and had trouble filling them. I still don't feel that way about every cruise line. However, I do agree with you that, at this point in time, booking after final payment is the best way to book a Celebrity cruise.

If I see a great deal before final booking I jump on it. I consider $100 per day per person or less a great deal. If it is anything more than that I wait it out. Right now I'm just after final payment and waiting for AQ price to drop. If it does, I'll upgrade....if it doesn't, I still have a veranda I'm more than happy with. Of course, I've also upgraded inboard ship as well with good results. Sometimes u get a great deal, other times somebody else does....guess it all balances out at the end??

I've booked 25 cruises in the past two years. I currently have 7 future cruises booked. I've booked as much as a year out and as close as 2 weeks prior to the cruise. My conclusion is that you never really know what might happen with prices. I did a Holy Land cruise last year and the price of my cabin category almost doubled from the time of booking to the time of sailing. This year my Holy Land cruise on Silhouette has had major price reductions and we're still months away from final payment. I've usually seen price reductions on TA's, but SIL TA is almost sold out. Might be a good idea to wait on Caribbean cruises, but even then you don't know. IMHO: If you like it, book it! If you really want to wait, wait!

Archived