Tiniest Detail - Your Cruise?

sail7seas

When we took our first cruise (Royal Princess - the older one), there was no internet and we knew almost no one who had cruised so we had nowhere to ask all sorts of questions and hardly knew what to expect. We certainly managed just fine and I get a kick out of how detailed cruisers questions have become on these forums. Everything was new and eye opening for us on our first cruise. Is some of that 'first reaction' lost by those who have hours of research? Or is it better to know exactly what to expect in every detail? Is it a good idea to leave a few surprises of things you don't know to expect?

We traveled with our usual travel companions at the time with whom we had shared a great many trips to Europe, domestic resorts, Caribbean etc.

DH and I went on this cruise only under protest as we fully expected to hate cruising. DH is type AAA and we thought he'd be antsy immediately and want off the ship. We made a 'deal' with our friends the only way we would agree to cruise with them is they would promise to not be offended if we absolutely hated it and would leave the ship in the first port. They agreed and we went

We all got to the ship together, we followed the flow of the guests all embarking and somehow got ourselves checked in. :) I didn't even realize what that covered gangway was and that when we passed over it, we were on the ship. :eek: :D

We were satisfied with our cabins, we went to the buffet for lunch and stood and watched for a few minutes as we couldn't figure out why people weren't paying for their meal. We didn't even know all the food was 'included'. We quickly got in line and enjoyed a nice lunch.

By the time we had before dinner drinks and went to dinner, we could not imagine why we had resisted crusing for so long.

We loved it immediately.

But we didn't love Princess and knew there had to be a cruise line that was more to our liking. We liked Princess enough to sail them again about 5 more times but when we first sailed HAL, we knew we had found our cruise line of choice.

What's your story?

How did you happen to take your first cruise?

Did you research it to the tiniest details and have no surprises?

Did you like it right away?

Was the cruise line you picked for your first cruise, the one you still like best?

I think it could be fun to share how we happened to take first cruise and what our initial reaction to cruising was.

I have to confess - my first cruise was won - and my second and my third, etc., etc. Our work sent the top performers on a cruise and I happened to be one of the fortunate ones;) Of those the second was on HAL and I never forgot the experience:D

Not quite a charter - but a different experience - I went (back in the 80's) with visions of the Love Boat in my head - spacious cabins, etc. Really enjoyed the cruises but obviously the things I'd seen on TV weren't what our cruises were about:eek:

We enjoyed all our cruises but the one that stood out for me was always our HAL cruise. So, when the time came that I was buying my own - I did do a few others, NCL, Celebrity and Princess along with the HAL cruises but HAL was the winner for us.

I think people are wise to research now - especially as things have changed somewhat so that they are not 'let down'. When you dream about your first cruise I think your expectations can be quite high.

Researching is always a good idea. It's wise to remember you are going on a ship - not a floating hotel and that 'ship' happens. Things aren't always perfect - no matter what cruise line you go on. And other times they are perfection:)

Cruising is a great way to experience different places. Especially in Europe where food and hotels are very pricey.

I am so grateful that I am able to do this and sometimes we need to remember those who can't and wish they could:)

Happy Mother's Day all

Our first cruise was on the Oosterdam out of Seattle to Alaska in 2006. My parents had cruised several times and raved about it but we felt it was out of price range. Then my parents sold our childhood home (after 50 years of living there) and gave us 3 daughters and 3 grandchildren some of "our inheritance" to enjoy now.

My husband and I decided that a cruise was the best way to use this "found money". Since he has breathing issues and some mobility issues the idea of sailing out of Seattle was very appealing (it's about 90 minutes from home).

We had a great time and after that we were hooked. We didn't cruise in 2007 and then, in 2008, tried Princess. We liked it but it wasn't HAL, so back we went in 2009 and every year since. HAL "fits" us and we're not adverse to trying other lines but the right time and itinerary haven't yet presented themselves. We're off again, on the Amsterdam, July 27th and can hardly wait.

Karen

One cold February night the DH & had quite a disagreement about something(I forget now). I did not speak to him for 24 hours.

Our friend's called and they were talking to him about the cruise that they were going on. (I was listening from another room).

I went out to the grocery store and when I returned he was apologizing to me and announced that he had booked us a cruise on HA out of Norfolk, VA and we would be in a balcony stateroom. I said, WHAT??? And it was only 3 weeks till we cruised... WHAT?? I have no clothes for a cruise!!

Well we had fun making up and off to shopping I went. Now again this is February and there's not much in the stores for warm weather dressing.

I went to special shops and bought all that I needed to look like a "fashionesta?". VERY costly!:rolleyes:

On the 3 hour drive to Norfolk I was really having lots of second thoughts to say the least.

There she was, the MS Maasdam. It was love at first sight no doubt. We did everything we could the first few days and then got really tired. We slowed down and were in our 2nd home.

I packed 12 pairs of shoes:eek:, got seasick coming back up the coast (first and last time), took way too much stuff and in the middle of a storm I opened the balcony door and thought that I was going to be pulled out into the ocean. I've learned alot since then...

I still tend to over pack but only slightly. Would never go without getting the thermal suite. Only attend events on the ship that really interest me and I never feel the pressure to go to the main dining room if I am tired. Have met some great folks and some not so great... Realized that tanzanite is going to be around for a long time.... On the islands I go mainly to my favorite shops not every one of them. Anymore, if I want to not go into port that's fine too.

Did try out RCCL 3 times and have vowed to never return. If its a HAL cruise, I'm going!

One last thing, if you are a dark chocolate lover like myself~ order room service a few times late at night and have that wonderful chocolate cake with raspberry sauce! Sooo good!:D

Thank you, Sail; what a fun thread! I'm looking forward to reading everyone's story.

Back in 1984 my DH had piled up a lot of airline frequent flyer miles and one of the "special offers" made to us to use up some of them was a week's cruise on HAL's ss Rotterdam. We knew nothing about cruising but it looked like fun and we could use the airline miles to get us to FLL and back to the west coast so we opted for it.

And were hooked on cruising from the beginning. We loved everything about the Rotterdam! Such a luxurious vacation, and I first experienced the still-continuing sadness in disembarking at the end of each cruise. I'm never ready to leave!

After that we used the same airlines miles programs to try a couple of other cruises with other lines, none as enjoyable as our first one with HAL. So when we both retired and could travel more, we came back to HAL and have enjoyed many, many cruises since. And yes, we got Mariner credit for that long-ago Rotterdam cruise.

We still have all of the programs, the menus, printed cards of all sorts—all of the paper items (and the door keys!) from that magical first cruise. And when we left the Ryndam last month in Rotterdam, we had the cab driver take us by "our first ship" since it's there now, a museum. The cab waited while we explored a bit; when we explained why we'd dropped by everyone was most gracious in giving us access. The beautiful wood was still there in many places; I'd forgotten that the walk-around deck was enclosed on that ship (and no lovely wood either! More like a big metal tube!). until I stepped back onto it. We didn't go down to the "basement swimming pool" but I certainly remember swimming there.

And when remembering our 1984 week aboard ship, we'll never forget the approaching hurricane that came up while we were ashore at St. Marteen, a tender port then, and how the waves were too high to use the tenders so all of us still ashore were holed up in a bar; the ship's dentist was there as well and a few other staff who had gone ashore. Once it was safe to venture out in the tender it was evening; they took us out in the tender and after it pulled in next to the ship, seamen lifted each of us in turn (literally; held by the elbows on each side!) into the tender's doorway; then the ship's captain himself was one of the two who pulled us at the right point onto the ship's platform and assured us that our dinners had been saved for us. (Back then, there weren't the warning systems that ships have now; the storm was completely unexpected. But even as newbies to cruising we understood that if the captain was supervising the movement of passengers from the tender onto the ship that it was a dangerous situation.)

We didn't have Sail's total lack of what we were getting into; we paid a travel agent something to set up the cruise for us and tell us what to expect. We couldn't imagine how else it could be done, back in those days!

Our frst (and only, so far) cruise was just last year, and this forum was a HUGE help in planning it. A friend & I had talked about visiting their property in Alaska someday, and the topic wound around to a cruise. I went home & started looking at itineraries. Went to band the next night & showed the printout to my BFF - who immediately wanted to go. Wound up with 4 of us in all.

I knew it was going to be HAL, since Sitka was one of my must-do ports, and I can't afford the other lines that go there. Mom & Dad had sailed HAL to Alaska, and later the Panama Canal, and had raved about it.

We loved everything about our cruise, and woul be doing the Caribbean next winter, except BFF decided to buy a condo instead. Now hoping for fall 2013 or winter 2014 for at least a 10-day cruise. Now just trying to decide on Noordam or one of HAL's smaller ships.

It took me several years before I clould convince DH that I was sick of traveling for 3 weeks living out of 1 suitcase each -- packing and unpacking nearly every night. Granted we saw a lot. But all those planes, trains, buses and cars -- I got sick of it.

I finally got him to try a cruise -- actually a back-to-back -- 14 days - port intensive -- Cunard Princess.

He loved it -- 4 suitcases -- unpacked -- everything into closets and drawers. I just smiled quietly to myslef. I knew he would love it once he tried.

PS -- we sailed twice on the original Royal Princess -- she was a lovely ship.

Our first cruise was a sort of "spur of the moment" 2 night cruise just to see if we'd like it. I was going to book it myself but the Princess website kept crashing so I called them up - what a great happenstance.

I was going to book a really big cabin, thinking it was only 2 nights and pretty cheap, why not. The agent suggested I not do that because while she could almost guarantee I would become addicted to cruising (she was right) for longer cruises the huge cabin price would be prohibitive for us. So she suggested we try what we'd eventually want to do. Which turned out to be great advice.

Not knowing certain things did make for some other disappointments. We looked forward to "formal night" but the cruise was on the tail end of its repositioning from the Caribbean to Alaska. Many cruisers disembarked in LA, many more in SF where we embarked. And a lot of families got on in SF for a cheap 2 night cruise.

Formal night was more casual than casual night on other cruises we've been on. It was really disappointing.

I didn't know about Cruise Critic then.

Before our second cruise I devoured Cruise Critic. I read, read, read and asked questions. But I still didn't know everything. I think FEELING the cruise experience is so different from reading about it, that you can't know it all. As much as I had learned by my second cruise it was still new, exciting and different.

I first started looking into cruises in 2007. My husband and I adore the Caribean, and have spent extended vacations on various islands. But there are too many islands and so little vacation time. So I thought going on a Caribean cruise would be a good way to get a sample of a number of islands, enough so I could decide which ones I really wanted to come back to later.

Also I always had the idea of a cruise being totally sophisticated and glamerous, with images of the Love Boat filling my head.:D I put this whole thing on hold, because for what I wanted at the time, this was too expensive for us.

Then, my dad expressed a desire to see Alaska. We have gone on a number of vacations together, being very close. (my parents have been separated since I was very young and we moved to the Netherlands, him remaining in the USA. I did not get to see him much, once a year if I was lucky).

He did not want to go alone and I thought it would be a great idea. An Alaska cruise seemed like the best way to see Alaska in such a way that it would be easy on him. So, our very first cruise, both my dad's and my husbands and mine, was supposed to be the 14 day Alaska cruise on HAL's Amsterdam in May of 2011.

It was not meant to be, the cards life deals at you are not always easy.....In March 2010 my dad was diagnosed with ALS and he passed away 9 months later on January 1 2011 at the age of 67.

So the whole cruise thing was put away on hold, something that just hurt too much to even think about doing.

Flash forward a year later. After a demanding and horrible time, flying back and forth from the Netherlands to Boston, taking care of my dad at home, really busy work schedules, health problems and such, my husband and I were really really in need of a vacation. I saw a great deal on a Caribean cruise on Maasdam for March 2012 and without thinking about it, booked it.

So that turned out to be our first cruise. I always do alot of preparations, reading trip reports, forums and whatever I can find on the internet.

I am one of those persons who find the pre-trip research almost as fun as the trip itself.:) So yeah, I try to find out every detail. And that does not ruin the experience for me. It's more like hearing about all these landmarks and then seeing them in reality for myself.

It was great, we loved it, we loved Maasdam, and our time on her. Though the whole time, especially as we sailed away from Fort Lauderdale, my feelings were also tinged with regret, wishing my dad was there to experience this very first cruise with me. As he was supposed to be.

Our first cruise was on the lovely Sun Viking (RCCL) in 1991. ( My recollection was poor when I made my CC name) . I grew up in a house where ships and liners were a great interest. My parents had both immigrated in the 50's on the Queen Elizabeth and the Empress of Britain. Living in Vancouver we had the opportunity to tour many of the ships visiting. Things were simpler then:)

As a young couple with a new mortgage my hope of going on a cruise seemed a long way off, but I religiously poured over cruise brochures anyway. Finally, I noticed a 6 day coastal repositioning on the Sun Viking for a very reasonable price including airfare home! I went into the travel agent and asked her to book us. She didn't believe the price included the airfare, but I knew it did as I had read that brochure completely. Sure enough, I was right;). I booked it and started the anticipation. I had researched the ship as much as possible in the days before the Internet, so I knew she had just been refurbished and was the only one of the original trio that had not been stretched. DH just heard the word "vacation" and happily came along as he continues to do.

Our Cabin was a tiny inside, and as I stood in the bathroom of our SY on the Westerdam last week I realized it was about the same size as that cabin! I loved it though. We marveled at the efficient use of space. We were the youngest on the ship being still in our 20's. I remember that the food was wonderful!

We went on RCCL one more time about 12 years ago and we enjoyed that one also. I haven't really been tempted to cruise on them as their ships have gotten so large. HAL suits our appreciation for the classic look of a ship, the service is still good and you don't feel you are being nickel and dimed at every turn.

My first cruise was in 1984 on the Rotterdam to Alaska. I was only 22 and I'd seen an ad in the newspaper and it just looked like lots of fun. I talked my mom into going along. I think she only went because it was something she and my dad had planned on doing 'someday' but then he got cancer and passed away.

While we couldn't research the trip like I do now - I spend lots of time online looking for information about the various ports - we did spend lots of time looking at the brochure from the travel agent. Then when we got that big leather folder with our ticket and travel suggestions from HAL... we were amazed! We worried that we wouldn't have the right clothes, dressing up for dinner seemed pretty intimidating at first and sitting with people we didn't know was so different. But, that was also part of the mystique of cruising and that hasn't changed during all the years since the first time.

We were hooked when we first stepped aboard and were met by a long line of red-coated men (stewards?) who grabbed our bags and led us to our inside room. The old Rotterdam was so different than the modern cruise ships and our room was huge and had beautiful wood trim. There isn't one bad memory I have of that first cruise and we came home sold on the idea of cruising as the perfect vacation for us.

While I have been on other cruise lines - Princess and NCL - HAL is my favorite by far and I'll always come home to them! :)

Our first cruise was out of Seattle on the Celebrity Infinity, 16 days through the Panama Canal to Ft. Lauderdale. I was getting a haircut when my hairdresser mentioned that he was going on a great cruise, and that it was cheap. I went right home, Googled it, and found the CC roll call. The fact that it sailed right from home, went through the Canal, and was priced for a repositioning cruise, made it irresistible. The fact that I had a ton of inside tips from CC before we sailed made it really an excellent adventure, and we were pretty much hooked on cruising from then on.

1st cruise was 1975 cruise to nowhere a 2 or 3 night party with lots of singles, do not even remember the ships name. Then in 1977 I took the Rotterdam and fell in love with that ship so elegant, can not think of anything I disliked about it. Have cruised every year since.

I first started looking into cruises in 2007. My husband and I adore the Caribean, and have spent extended vacations on various islands. But there are too many islands and so little vacation time. So I thought going on a Caribean cruise would be a good way to get a sample of a number of islands, enough so I could decide which ones I really wanted to come back to later.

Also I always had the idea of a cruise being totally sophisticated and glamerous, with images of the Love Boat filling my head.:D I put this whole thing on hold, because for what I wanted at the time, this was too expensive for us.

Then, my dad expressed a desire to see Alaska. We have gone on a number of vacations together, being very close. (my parents have been separated since I was very young and we moved to the Netherlands, him remaining in the USA. I did not get to see him much, once a year if I was lucky).

He did not want to go alone and I thought it would be a great idea. An Alaska cruise seemed like the best way to see Alaska in such a way that it would be easy on him. So, our very first cruise, both my dad's and my husbands and mine, was supposed to be the 14 day Alaska cruise on HAL's Amsterdam in May of 2011.

It was not meant to be, the cards life deals at you are not always easy.....In March 2010 my dad was diagnosed with ALS and he passed away 9 months later on January 1 2011 at the age of 67.

So the whole cruise thing was put away on hold, something that just hurt too much to even think about doing.

Flash forward a year later. After a demanding and horrible time, flying back and forth from the Netherlands to Boston, taking care of my dad at home, really busy work schedules, health problems and such, my husband and I were really really in need of a vacation. I saw a great deal on a Caribean cruise on Maasdam for March 2012 and without thinking about it, booked it.

So that turned out to be our first cruise. I always do alot of preparations, reading trip reports, forums and whatever I can find on the internet.

I am one of those persons who find the pre-trip research almost as fun as the trip itself.:) So yeah, I try to find out every detail. And that does not ruin the experience for me. It's more like hearing about all these landmarks and then seeing them in reality for myself.

It was great, we loved it, we loved Maasdam, and our time on her. Though the whole time, especially as we sailed away from Fort Lauderdale, my feelings were also tinged with regret, wishing my dad was there to experience this very first cruise with me. As he was supposed to be.

My condolences on the loss of your Dad. I hope your cruise helped you get over that difficult time. Your Dad was with you in spirit I'm sure.

Our first cruise was on the original Pacific Princess (The Love Boat) in 1986. My friend (Rosie) and myself had booked this cruise 9 months in advance. It was the very first that a cruise ship left from Seattle roundtrip for Alaska. It was during the Canadian World's Fair and two days we were docked at the Canadian Pavilion (now called Canada Place I believe). Our only Alaska stop was Ketchikan and we also cruised Misty Fjord. The cruise was a week long.

My husband (Hal) and his friend (Pat) booked the cruise 3 days before sailing. They got a killer deal on an ocean view cabin and jumped on the opportunity.

We lived locally ... they lived in CA.

We all met each other for the very first time, the first morning at breakfast. We kept running into them no matter where we were on the ship. The cruise was one week long ... Hal and I spent every spare minute together and spent a lot of time with new cruise buddies too. What a fantastic cruise.

We both were in our 30s and never married before. After the cruise we started talking daily on the phone (years before unlimited long distance) and writing letters. Hal proposed over the phone 3 weeks after the cruise. He knew on the cruise, he wanted to marry me ... I told him he was nuts ... LOL. We got married 3 months after that and I moved to CA. That was 25+ years ago, and I love him more than the day I married him. We are truly soul mates. YES, love can be found on the Love Boat ... we are proof.

We never try of sharing our story. It always makes me smile to tell it. Thanks for listening. I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts too.

No real research done before our first cruise. My grandmother years before had taken a freighter around the world with 3 of her friends. They had a tiny stateroom with 2 sets of bunkbeds and a shared bathroom down the hall. The ladies were all in their 70s and the younger ones got the top bunks. This was their very first cruise and they were gone for 90 days. We always joked that Grandma got cruising in our blood because of this cruise.

Now I research up a storm before we cruise. It helps pass the time while we wait. Research or not, we always have a great time.

What great stories. Really wonderful tales you're all sharing.

Thanks so much. :)

When we went on that first cruise, we used our usual (at the time) Am Ex Platinum Travel Advisor. She was one of the best TA's I've ever encountered and she chose the ship, made the booking, sent us our tickets and never actually thought we'd really go. :) She knew we were far more into European travel, off the plane, into the taxi, check into the hotel, tour all over the place, back to the airport for the next city and see four cities in 15 days or so.

I never thought to ask a bunch of questions as I was so unenthusiastic and only going to please our friend.

As it turned out, shortly after that cruise that she absolutely loved, she became ill and we lost her. That was her only cruise and today I'm so happy we made the choice to go with her for 'her' cruise.

Our first cruise was in 1993 on the "old" MS Rotterdam. My husband had been wanting to go to Alaska and at the last minute he booked a 7 day cruise in an inside cabin. We had no idea what to expect. We were in our mid 40's and fit right in with the "HAL" crowd. We tend to like calmer atmospheres and loved every minute. Overpacked, overate, and still have all our little momentos from the ship. Now that we are retired we get to cruise more often. I have packing down to a science now. Last year we took our first cruise in Europe. While I loved the different cultures and sights it was so nice to come back "home" every evening to the ship knowing what to expect. The one thing I quess I have learned since 1993 was to pace ourselves in both food and activity. You don't have to eat everything and do everything......

We wanted to see Alaska, DH was most reluctant but went along being the good sport. We loved the trip, the ship, the ports, seeing and learning about parts of the world we had never even heard of. What hooked me was seeing the multi generational families on board. I decided right away my parents and children would accompany us on future trips. Sadly my parents died shortly after our first trip but we've taken a few trips with our young adult children. It was very special. .

First cruise was on the Bolero. (Festival had the Bolero and the Flamenco)

I was sick every morning, noon and night. (Motion sickness, not Noro.)

My inlaws love, love, love to cruise and kept telling us how amazing cruises were. They continued to praise HAL and Princess for 10 years before I ever got on another cruise ship.

They finally decided that the only way dh and I would ever cruise would be to take us on a cruise. Zaandam and Alaska made for a wonderful re-introduction to being on a cruise ship.

Man oh man, what a difference a good cruise line with classy ships makes to cruising.

I remembered going to the pier in San Francisco for elaborate Bon Voyage parties for my Grandmother on her voyages in the 60's and 70's but never considered it as a travel option myself. Then I had a huge health scare, and I realized that I was nearly 40 and had never traveled anywhere, didn't even possess a passport. I convinced my then BF to get a tux and join me for a 14 day rt Barcelona cruise on RCCL Splendour of the Sea as my Grandfather had died in Barcelona and I wanted to see the city. Prior to the cruise I did little to no research, except obtaining a passport. We booked all ship sponsored excursions on big buses, and still fell instantly in love with cruising and the Med. as soon as our cruise began.

We had so much fun and I was totally hooked on travel and cruising from then on out. That BF has been replaced long ago with my DH, who thankfully was easily converted to my favorite method of vacationing-cruising! He will be a 4 star Mariner next cruise ;)

Thank you to all of you who have posted for telling your stories; they're fascinating to read. Sail, I think your friend has been having fun watching you and your DH enjoy your cruising vacations!

When I was a teen, I saw a brochure for a world cruise and thought I would love to go on one. However, I am very much prone to motion sickness and I didn't think I would ever be able to cruise because of it. My mother went on her first with my aunt, and enjoyed it thoroughly. She came home (we share a house) and still wanted to be waited on. We talked about it but I thought I couldn't cruise.

Then came the HAL brochures and mailings! She found the Alaska itinerary for a cruise tour. She also knew that I wanted to see my own country on vacation and the cruise tour went into the Yukon. Best of all, it was a three day cruise with an eight day land tour so if I was to get sick, it would only be for three days! I knew that I would be either happy that the cruise was only three days or really p*****d that it was only three days.

Off we went! I didn't know about Cruise Critic (this was in 2006). I didn't do any research of ports. I didn't know we were getting off the ship before Glacier Bay; heck, I didn't even know what Glacier Bay was!!!

Oh, my, what a fabulous cruise. I had gone to the pharmacist beforehand and she sold me seabands and some bonine. Never took the bonine but put on the sea bands right at lunch in Vancouver. The ship was vibrating a little but I wasn't taking any chances! I ate that first lunch like it was going to be my only meal in three days!!!

The first full day, we hadn't cleared Vancouver Island, and the ship was rocking! But I didn't get sick. I put all my faith in those seabands and had the best time of my life!

That evening was formal night. Our table mates didn't show up for various reasons so we were the only two at a table of eight. We had late seating which we don't care for but hadn't bother to change for only three days. So, there we were, surrounded by full tables, at our table. Our steward served us Alaskan King Crab. When we were finished, he asked if we wanted some more. Can we? Sure, he said, after all, you're eating for eight! He brought us seconds of the crab. And then he brought us thirds! Needless to say, there was no room for dessert. Having that much crab was very unusual for us who live in the prairies. It was amazing and I've never forgotten our steward who took such care of us.

The rest of the cruise, and the cruise tour, was fabulous. But I had to go back to Alaska two more times to see Glacier Bay and am hoping to go back again. I'm just putting my plans on hold while we whittle down my mother's bucket list.

I have come to the conclusion that, for many of us, our first cruise will always be the best one ever. One's eyes are filled with wonder, like a child's eyes at Christmas. When I introduced a friend to cruising, I saw it again through her eyes and enjoyed it as much as my first cruise. How lucky we are to be able to travel like this.

In a way, my mother did my research for me. She had always wanted to take a cruise, and I think I was in college when they went on their first cruise on the old Statendam, probably in the early 70s. (yes, I'm OLD!) They went with friends, used a local TA that the friends knew, and had a fabulous time. This was back in the days when you could have bon voyage guests, so I went to see them off. Mom and I explored the ship, and I said, "Someday I want to do this!"

Their next cruise was the summer after I got married. DH and I went to see them off. We wandered around the ship, and as we tossed streamers (jeez, how many people here are old enough to remember the streamers?!?!?), DH and I said, "Someday we have to do this!"

Since Mom and Dad had two great cruises on Statendam, a few years later, we did "their" cruise--Statendam to Bermuda. We had a cheap inside upper and lower teeny tiny cabin. But we had a fabulous time. The friends who came to bon voyage us later became our cruising buddies--she still says we "taught" them how to cruise.

A few years after that, we saw an ad "Bermuda on impulse!" cheap last-minute cruise to Bermuda on the old Volendam. That time we got to dock in St Georges as well as Hamilton, and loved it. We had rough weather sailing home and I was delighted to discover that I don't get seasick.

Then we bought a house, and felt we had no money, so cruising was put off for a bit. I was working in NYC in the 80s when I saw an ad for standby on the QE2--fly one way, sail the other. OMG, the QE2!!!! And we could actually afford it!!!! Every year when she'd begin her world cruise out of NYC, the news would do a story about it and show a penthouse, complete with butler, etc etc. And the huge price tag. So you have an idea of what we were expecting. Yeah, as if. We went steerage, lowest deck, forward, tiny upper and lower cabin. Very rough weather, and in our little cabin, I felt it. the only time I've been seasick. But I recovered and was OK for the rest of the cruise. It's hard to believe that I HATED QE2 that first time. Mind you, I had seen the photos of the penthouse, had experienced the good service on HAL, and was very disappointed in Cunard. We had terrible waiters, and the bar service in the Lido was really snotty. (I sound like one of those one-post complainers here, don't I?!?) Everything about HAL seemed to have been better, except for our reserved chairs on Sun Deck, where life was good. A number of passengers felt that other lines were better. I think Cunard was going through a rough patch back then.

Another few years passed, and I got a past passenger offer for a great price on a transcanal on QE2. The itinerary, timing, and price were so good that we booked it. I remember grudgingly saying "Even if it IS the QE2." I think that was the first time we had an outside cabin. (Wow, a porthole!!!) Well, like Elizabeth Bennet, I got over my bad first impression and fell in love. Everything was right, we had good waiters, good food, good table companions, and the canal was fascinating. QE2 became the love of my traveling life. Boarding was like coming home. I cried the last time I debarked in NYC. Cried standing in Battery Park watching her sail down the Hudson the last time, too.

P.S. to Milliesmom--wonderful story about the Love Boat! That's the one ship I am so sorry I missed.

What a great thread this is..Have really enjoyed reading all of your posts..

First Cruise, before I was married, was on Hellenic Cruises (AKA Kavounides Shipping Co.) "Orion" 1970 in the Greek Islands..Worked for a European Airline & was able to get a 7 day cruise at a good interline rate..It hooked me for life..Wish I could find a picture, but only have a few slides...But have the mimeographed daily programs & the Capt's dinner Menu..LOL

Our first cruise, after we were married was in 1983 on Norwegian Caribbean's "Southward".. Still worked for an airline & had to convince DH & Dear Friends (who also were airline employees) that a cruise is something they would enjoy & never forget..Took me a long time to convince them all, as they could not understand why I would be willing to pay to go to all the ports when we could fly for free... I believe they only did it just to get me get off their backs..We all still talk about that first cruise & our fantastic Waiter & Assistant Waiter.. Of course, we're all hooked now! None of us have ever had a bad cruise! ..

Cheers.. Betty

P.S. These same Friends joined us on the Noordam in 2010..:) DH & I had a ROV ceremony with them & our other good Friends in attendance..

Thank you to all of you who have posted for telling your stories; they're fascinating to read. Sail, I think your friend has been having fun watching you and your DH enjoy your cruising vacations!

What a lovely thing to say. :)

I sometimes like to think that maybe she is watching. How many times I think of her when we are aboard and wish she was with us.

These stories are outstanding. What fun!!!

Somehow I got on Princess Cruises mailing list. I thumbed through the brochure and thought it would make a nice vacation. When I got to the prices, I was somewhat taken aback that they were as low as they were. (Not cheap, by any means ... but I always thought only the super-rich could take cruises.)

Alaska looked like the logical place to start. A 7-day would be a great trial. We wouldn't leave our time zone, and wouldn't have to schlep luggage from place to place and spend hours in the car.

As I did research about cruising, I found Cruise Critic. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I found lots of great information. I felt I was prepared for the unknown. Shoot, I even found myself passing out information to other new cruisers! But there was still so much new to discover. Each day was different, and I ran into new people and discovered new places.

This was the life! Cruising was for me!

Our second cruise was on Rotterdam VI during her inaugural season in Canada/New England. It was a wonderful experience that created an instant "bond" with Holland America Lines. Loved the ship. Loved the crew. Loved the food. Our cabin was larger than the comparable category we had on Princess. Back in those days, the Yum-Yum man walked through the public rooms/bars with his chimes announcing, "Dinner time!" What's not to love???

We just returned from 10 days independently touring on land in Europe. Wonderful trip. But it surely wasn't as convenient as cruising. It was cheaper than some cruises we've taken ... more expensive than others. Much more stressful, overall, for 60-somethings.

I must go down to the sea again,

To the lonely sea and sky.

And all I ask is a tall ship

And a star to steer her by.

Archived