Ginger after dinner - recipe?

footlooseFF

I love those ginger candies. Let,s say I'm addicted as Yum Yum guy has caught me several times coming back for more!

Not sure if they make their own ginger candies or purchase them?

If it is a question of prevention? You can purchase Ginger Capsules from most Health Stores and they are probably more effective, less calories but no way as delicious.

Candied or crystallized ginger is widely available and given it takes time (but not much effort) to make it, I would imagine HAL buys commercially made candied ginger.

But if you want to make it, here ya go:

1. Peel and slice about a pound of fresh ginger. Slice it fairly thinly but not so it breaks up.
  2. Place sliced ginger, and water to cover in a heavy saucepan.
  3. Cook at a simmer or low boil until tender, about 30 minutes.
  4. Drain the water
  5. Weigh the cooked ginger and measure an equal amount of sugar.
  6. Return ginger to saucepan with the sugar and a little water, about 1/4 cup. you can use some of the water you drained earlier.
  7. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the syrup is almost all evaporated and it begins to crystallize, ( 20-30 min).
  8. Set out to cool and dry on parchment sprayed with a little oil spray.
  9. Optional - toss cooled ginger in sugar to coat.

It will keep about 2 months if you store it in an airtight container.

Just a quick note about ginger, ginger capsules etc....

Ginger can thin the blood. Do not use ginger if you are taking blood thinners without running it by your doctor first. It can cause some major issues.

I remember as a kid, my grandmother loved ginger candies. She always had them in her home. Ginger ale was her remedy too if we were sick.

Candied or crystallized ginger is widely available and given it takes time (but not much effort) to make it, I would imagine HAL buys commercially made candied ginger.

1. Peel and slice about a pound of fresh ginger. Slice it fairly thinly but not so it breaks up.
  4. Drain the water
  6. Return ginger to saucepan with the sugar and a little water, about 1/4 cup. you can use some of the water you drained earlier.
  7. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the syrup is almost all evaporated and it begins to crystallize, ( 20-30 min).

Thanks for posting this recipe.

Ginger can thin the blood. Do not use ginger if you are taking blood thinners without running it by your doctor first. It can cause some major issues.

I remember as a kid, my grandmother loved ginger candies. She always had them in her home. Ginger ale was her remedy too if we were sick.

Hi MilliesMom. Thanks for the alert about ginger for those taking anti-coagulants !* BTW, I also was given ginger ale as a remedy as a kid, and I found it still works:)

* supporting source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm -

Hi MilliesMom. Thanks for the alert about ginger for those taking anti-coagulants !* BTW, I also was given ginger ale as a remedy as a kid, and I found it still works:)

* supporting source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm -

Thank you for the link ... I wasn't aware of the issues for those who are diabetic or on high blood pressure meds:

Possible Interactions:

Ginger may alter the effects of some prescription and nonprescription medications. If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use ginger without first talking to your health care provider.

Blood-thinning medications -- Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding. Talk to your doctor before taking ginger if you take blood-thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin) or aspirin.

Diabetes medications -- Ginger may lower blood sugar, raising the risk of hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.

High blood pressure medications -- Ginger may lower blood pressure, raising the risk of low blood pressure or irregular heartbeat.

Thank you for the link ... I wasn't aware of the issues for those who are diabetic or on high blood pressure meds:

Possible Interactions:

Ginger may alter the effects of some prescription and nonprescription medications. If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use ginger without first talking to your health care provider.

Blood-thinning medications -- Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding. Talk to your doctor before taking ginger if you take blood-thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin) or aspirin.

Diabetes medications -- Ginger may lower blood sugar, raising the risk of hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.

High blood pressure medications -- Ginger may lower blood pressure, raising the risk of low blood pressure or irregular heartbeat.

Mary, I'll still sip ginger ale on board- it works for me, and it's a heck of alot cheaper than champagne :) But maybe I'll mix it up with some sugar free ginger ale next voyage ;) Thanks again, S.

4. Drain the water

Thank you for the recipe!

Love ginger ale.

4. Drain the water

Thank you for posting this recipe. Holland America's ginger is in a syrup rather dried and sugared, I've not been able to located a recipe for ginger in that form.

The Ginger People make ginger chews that I always carry with me when cruising. The are often just enough to settle a queasy stomach.

Pickled Ginger

Pickled ginger is usually served with sushi and is called gari. It's best to use fresh young ginger (shin shoga) to make gari.

Ingredients:

• 2 lb fresh young ginger (shin shoga)
  • 2 tsps salt
  • 3 cups rice vinegar
  • 2 cups sugar

Preparation:

Wash young ginger root and rub off skin. Slice the ginger thinly and salt them. Leave salted ginger slices in a bowl for about one hour. Dry the ginger slices with paper towels and put them in a sterilized, heat-resistant container/jar. Mix rice vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil. Pour the hot mixture of vinegar and sugar over the ginger slices. Cool them. Pickled ginger changes its color to light pink. (If you are using old ginger, it might not turn pink naturally.) Cover the jar and store it in the refrigerator.

(Note: I believe this is the type of ginger served with sushi.)

Thank you for that warning about ginger. I just recommended ginger tablets to a friend who is cruising for the first time. I now see in's counter indicated for her and will tell her. Thanks again.

The acupuncture therapist onboard the Zuiderdam told me that if you suffer from seasickness you should start eating ginger 6 weeks before your cruise (he said as much as you can) and it will prevent motion sickness. I'm not certain I would chance it without a Bonine backup, but ginger in all forms, including gingerale, definitely helps me keep the nausea at bay. Also green apples and crackers and keeping food on my stomach.

Thanks for the recipes - it seems like the Yum Yum ginger we had in March definitely had syrup on it. It wasn't as sweet as candied ginger you get in the store and wasn't dry. For those who like ginger - here's a refreshing drink with fresh ginger that was served at the Naples Grande hotel in Florida in their lobby ... excellent in the summertime!

One half gallon of orange juice

2 cups pineapple juice

3 ozs of fresh ginger (peeled & chopped)

Blend ginger with2 cups of lemonade in a blender

Mix, strain & serve

I purchased some Ginger Candy before going on our last cruise. I got the size that fits nicely in my purse.

It is made by Reed's and it is similar to HAL's.

Link to website:

http://www.reedsinc.com/candy/

Crystallized Ginger Candy

Our tender Crystallized Ginger is custom-made for us in the South Pacific Islands. It contains diced baby ginger root, raw cane sugar & nothing else!

The process is an ancient one that hasn’t changed much through time. After harvesting baby ginger (the most tender kind), the root is diced and then steeped in large vats filled with simmering raw cane syrup. Steeping for several days, the ginger is then removed and allowed to crystallize into soft, delicious nuggets.

Reed’s Crystallized Ginger is the only one we’ve found that is sweetened with raw cane instead of white sugar. We are happy to offer these treats that islanders have long enjoyed for their health and pleasure.

7248936684_33b2611cb1.jpg

ginger_candy2 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

This recipe shows photos of the ginger without the sugar coating at the end. That's what they were serving on the Zuiderdam in March when we went to the Panama Canal. You store the candied ginger in the syrup in the fridge for up to a year. I'm going to try making some. I also like the idea of making my own gingergale from the ginger syrup!

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/12/candied-ginger/

Can anyone tell me how HAL prepares the ginger that they have available after dinner? It really helped me with the seasickness and I'd like to make it at home for when we're on our sailboat.

I've purchased the candied ginger at Whole Foods and have seen it at gourmet food shops. On a cruise, I bring ginger capsules that I've bought at a variety of places - from the health food store to WalMart!

Thank you for that warning about ginger. I just recommended ginger tablets to a friend who is cruising for the first time. I now see in's counter indicated for her and will tell her. Thanks again.

You are very welcome. So many are not aware of the possible problems.

My mom had great success with bio-bands (accupressure). She bought two ... one to wear and one for a backup (to change to after she showered). She had horrible motion sickness when she cruised until she found the bands. She put them on as she was leaving home (airplanes can cause problems too) and wore the band 100% of the time until she was back home for 24 hours. Once she started using the bands, all the motion sickness issues disappeared. A true blessing.

http://www.biobands.com/

We've never been sea-sick, but I do always carry these for my hubby and I. For most people, from what I have read, you can put them on as soon as symptoms occur for quick relief.

Pickled Ginger

Pickled ginger is usually served with sushi and is called gari. It's best to use fresh young ginger (shin shoga) to make gari.

Ingredients:

Holland America's ginger is definitely not pickled. My thoughts are that it is stewed in a simpie syrup and cooked down until very tender with a thick syrup. It is definitely not the candied ginger that most purchase. I've tried to find the finished product but suspect it might be a Dutch product, just a guess.

She should simply check with her doctor if it is okay for her. All cases are different.

Prior to my three cruises I was never able to locate crystallized ginger. However, recently, when I was looking at the spice collection at my local supermarket, I did find it there.

I used the ginger root capsules and they worked like a charm.

If you area able to find local shops that sell Dutch products, you should be able to find jars of ginger in syrup. It is a very common form in Holland.

I love a small piece of candied ginger on a piece of gouda cheese/ all on a cracker. It's a great combination. Also excellent chopped up in ginger cookies.

You might also find this form of ginger at bulk stores that sell baking stuff, candies etc. In Canada we have Bulk Barn and I think they carry this kind of ginger where they have the bulk pie fillings, peanut butter and honey.

Good luck and hope you find some.

I purchased some Ginger Candy before going on our last cruise. I got the size that fits nicely in my purse.

It is made by Reed's and it is similar to HAL's.

Link to website:

http://www.reedsinc.com/candy/

Thank you for the link. I've bookmarked it in my travel folder.

Even though we've used ginger capsules on previous cruises, I think I'd prefer ginger candy :)

Archived