Do you like to repeat the same cruise over and over?

librarygal

I want to cruise a different itinerary every time. So far I've been to Labadee twice and in October we'll see St. Thomas for the second time.

That I don't mind since we get other ports as well.

But in general the thing I love about cruising is the possibility to see new, different and MANY things while staying put (in the same cabin) :)

I prefer to go to different places on different ships but unfortunately with both of us working and having limitations on our vacation times (I get 4 weeks but can't take more than 1 at a time) repeats are becoming a necessity. Given the choice I'd rather repeat ships than ports.

That said we're essentially limited to 8 day Caribbean cruises so there's only do many places to go! And since we cruise in September it also essentially limits that cruise to Carnival ships. (I'm biting my nose to spite my here face here - I loathe RCCL's website and refuse to sail them until it's not as nauseating)

I'd love to take some longer more exotic cruises but for now this is what we've got. I think repeating a cruise still offers a lot more potential variety than repeating the same land based vacation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the minority here. We've cruised 26 times mostly in just the past 10 years, so we have cruised the same ship and same itinerary many times. Our focus is the ship itself.......sometimes we get off the ship and sometimes we don't.....and when we do we almost always lately go to the same beaches or nothing more than wander around the shops at the pier...

We are exactly the same way........:D

I am about to do my fourth Europe cruise, but each time has been on a different ship. If it is a port we have been to before I just make sure that we see something different from the last time. For example, in Rome the first time, we only saw the Forum and outside of the colosseum due to time constraints so the next time we went back we didnt do Forum and made the effort to go "in" the colosseum. I have only ever seen the outside of St Peters, hopefully will go in one day!! In Livorno the first year we went to Pisa, the second year Florence.

My next trip is with my parents who havent been to any of these places, so no doubt I will be taking them to all the places I have already been! But thats ok! I want this trip to be about them.

oh - been thinking!

For people who do repeat exactly. If you went back to the same room and the same hotel etc on a land based vacation what happens if it isnt as good as you remember it being? Does that not spoil the memory of the first one?

I don't purposely try and duplicate previous trips, but sometimes proximity to port/days off/money dictate where and when I'll go. But even if I've done the same itinerary before, there's always new stuff to see/do

Many of our friends and relatives like to take the same land vacation over and over and over. They go to the same hotels, resorts around the same time of year and ask to stay in the same room and pretty much do the same things while on vacation year after year.

How about cruising? How many of you like to do the same cruise many times? Maybe even stay in the same cabin and go the same week each year? Stick with the tried and true! How about it?

* Many oi the people I talk to on cruises have been on cruises dozens of times. But I never asked them if it was the same one.

cruising by its nature is repetitive, especially when some people are so fanatical about being "loyal" to a particular cruiseline:rolleyes:

I mean cruises go to different ports, but the ships are cookie cutter design, you may go on a different itinery, but the rooms/dining areas/common areas are pretty much interchangeable on the same cruiseline and comparable between cruiselines.

Many of our friends and relatives like to take the same land vacation over and over and over. They go to the same hotels, resorts around the same time of year and ask to stay in the same room and pretty much do the same things while on vacation year after year.

How about cruising? How many of you like to do the same cruise many times? Maybe even stay in the same cabin and go the same week each year? Stick with the tried and true! How about it?

* Many oi the people I talk to on cruises have been on cruises dozens of times. But I never asked them if it was the same one.

We have repeated a couple of cruises a couple of times. But we are always on the lookout for at least one new port each time.

The cruises that we have repeated -- we do different tours.

We've repeated a cruise which has an overnight stay in Venice, as we really hadn't touched the surface....

There's usually some repeat ports round the Med, such as Livorno, but we know different places or beaches to visit from there.

I have been for a fortnight's cruise to the Caribbean, but doubt I'll repeat that....I should imagine it's OK for a land visit, but wasn't impressed by it as a cruise itinerary.

Some places are just a taster for a land visit- we went straight back to Santorini after a cruise there, and are considering Croatia in the same way.

We've had a good holiday in Hawaii, but I would love to go round the islands, and spend a day on each from a cruise ship.

Jo.

In 1959, I was 7 and we stayed someplace that just grabbed my imagination. Once I was old enough to travel on my own (first with friends, then hubby, then hubby and kids, and now only hubby), we started doing that same old place every other year. It's like going home and just makes my soul sing. And, yes it has changed, and not always for the better. But it's still my heart's home, and where my ashes will be dumped when I'm gone. (I've already made my grown children aware of my wishes.)

But the alternate years, we get adventurous and try something new. That's where cruises come in..... and the trips to Europe.....

So we mix it up....

Barb in so cal

We enjoy going on cruises to the same ports we've been to before. However we usually try to go some where different while in port. I mean you are not in port very long and there is so much to see and do that it would take several cruises back to the ports to visit everything. (Hey that just means more cruises for us :D <---not complaining at all).

Every once in awhile we will find a place that we just ABSOLUTELY love and have to go back the next time (like we've been to Cozumel Mexico on our last 2 cruises and went back to Chankanaab). We will be back in Cozumel again in 6 months, but this time around will try something new.

I do have to say that I like to try a different ship each time though. I want to experience different ships in the fleet...as many as I can. :D :p

We are usually NOT repeaters. We even try to camp somewhere different in the state every Memorial Day. However, this year we'll be taking our first "repeat" cruise. It was an itinerary we really enjoyed, and it's on a ship we really liked. Our favorite entertainer will be on board in the pub, and a handfull of really fun friends are joining us this time. The price was right.

I'm excited to do something different at each port than we did last time and to enjoy it all with friends.

Too many places to see.... we had to cruise the same ship once but it was a new itinerary. I do however want to repeat the Baltic trip but not the exact same intinerary or ship or embarkation port.

Sort of......We've been taking an "Annual Friends and Family Winter Caribbean Cruise" now for over 30 years. Most of the ports we've been to many, many, times. (After all, after more than 30 years, there are just so many Caribbean islands you can go to.) We've always been between 15 and 42 people and a cruise is the best way to do a vacation as a group. Everyone comes and goes and does their own thing and we round robin at a few tables for dinner and sub-groups form daily depending on everyone's interests. We find it way more fun, and interesting than all of us going to "a place" and at this point, much more economical as those who choose can get an inside minimum cabin and those who choose the deluxe penthouse suite, can yet we can all share in activities and mealtime together. Being from the northeast we just want to go somewhere in the winter where the sun is out and it's 80 degrees. A number of folks don't even get off of the ship anymore. Some of us think the BEST days on a ship are the days when the ship is in port, but we're not!.....(in port, that is)

:) We have taken 3 cruises and they have all been to Mexico. Since money was the determining factor and the destination was not as important as just being on the ship, we had a fantastic time on all of them. Some people cruise for the destination and some people cruise just to be on the ship.

When it comes to cruising yes we have done repeats. We live in Florida and can do 3-4 days cruises pretty much last minute when we want to. So it's a nice get away and right now it works in our lives. But we want to plan a 7 day cruise at the end of the year. Those I always like to sail on a different ship or go to a place that we haven't been to. When we do land vacations we do different places. But for weekend trips we stay close to home, so those can be repeats also.

I don't know if that fits in the original question, but I have been three times (and the 4th time is booked for Feb 2013) on Hurtigruten's Coastal Express voyage in Norway. We have done 2 different ships and 3 different seasons, so the weather, length of day, natural lights, amount of snow on the mountains, life on board, etc, were different from one trip to the other and it felt like a different voyage each time.

Archived