Coffee question

Mare10

For experienced HAL cruisers please help!!!! It's probably been answered before but I leave tomorrow and so far can't find my answer on the boards.

So excited to be on the Volendam leaving the 30th for Alaska. My first cruise was on the Princess and it was a known fact that the coffee served in the MDR was not very good. Most people that really enjoyed their morning coffee got coffee cards and got their coffee from the coffee bar.

How about Holland... is the "free" coffee ok or do they offer coffee cards?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!

Marilyn :)

The coffee on Princess is indeed absolutely terrible.

On HAL, in the MDR, you can order expresso, cappacino, or any combination thereof for breakfast....at NO charge. We usually have at least one cappucino with a double shots each and every morning.

They do a good job on this coffee. The regular coffee is very so so. Better than Princess but not great.

There isn't a coffee card anymore.

HAL has Beverage Cards:

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings -- can be used in the Explorations Cafe to buy speciality coffee as well as regular coffee)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $95.00 ($5 savings)

$250 Beverage Card cost $225 ($25 savings)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can.

We think the MDR coffee is fine though we really like the coffee machine in Neptune. If you happen to have Neptune access (Deluxe Veranda Suite and PS), that coffee is great.

We think the MDR coffee is fine though we really like the coffee machine in Neptune. If you happen to have Neptune access (Deluxe Veranda Suite and PS), that coffee is great.

........and most the time they serve that same coffee in the Pinnacle Grill.

I wasn't crazy about the regular coffee at all when we sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam last year. I wasn't aware you could ask for other types of coffee though, which is good to know.

The regular coffee wasn't that great but I still drank it. It was coffee. :p

Have fun on your cruise!!!

........and most the time they serve that same coffee in the Pinnacle Grill.

Not always and depends upon ship.

Maasdam ("S" ship) does not have its own galley but shares with MDR.

On ships where Pinnacle has own galley, then No.

I wasn't crazy about the regular coffee at all when we sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam last year. I wasn't aware you could ask for other types of coffee though, which is good to know.

The regular coffee wasn't that great but I still drank it. It was coffee. :p

Have fun on your cruise!!!

All HAL ships, all meals......

We can order espresso, cappucino at all meals for no additional charge.

Not always and depends upon ship.

Maasdam ("S" ship) does not have its own galley but shares with MDR.

On ships where Pinnacle has own galley, then No.

No question about galleys but I do think they all have their own coffee machines:confused::confused: I saw them on the Maasdam and they confirmed they had their own.

On the Prinsendam the PG manager told me that they had the same machine as the neptune lounge - when I complimented them on the coffee he told me it was reliant on the calibration - he was very fussy (and it was fabulous coffee).

He also said all the PG's have their own coffee machines - just going by what he said - and you know I haven't been the slightest tool in the shed since my loss - but that's what he said.

Anyways, we have been happy with the coffee in the PG in the mornings:)

The coffee in the MDR and the Lido is very strong. If I remembered I ordered a pot of hot water with my coffee in the MDR or just added hot water in the Lido. Even diluted, it isn't anything special but it is coffee. I have never ordered fresh brewed coffee on HAL but I did once on Princess and it was strong enough to support a spoon - absolutely undrinkable!

For experienced HAL cruisers please help!!!! It's probably been answered before but I leave tomorrow and so far can't find my answer on the boards.

So excited to be on the Volendam leaving the 30th for Alaska. My first cruise was on the Princess and it was a known fact that the coffee served in the MDR was not very good. Most people that really enjoyed their morning coffee got coffee cards and got their coffee from the coffee bar.

How about Holland... is the "free" coffee ok or do they offer coffee cards?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!

Marilyn :)

We have ordered coffee for the morning through room service and it was very good to us. Don't care for the MDR coffee so order cappuccino after dinner. We will be coming to Alaska right behind you on the Westerdam.

No question about galleys but I do think they all have their own coffee machines:confused::confused: I saw them on the Maasdam and they confirmed they had their own.

On the Prinsendam the PG manager told me that they had the same machine as the neptune lounge - when I complimented them on the coffee he told me it was reliant on the calibration - he was very fussy (and it was fabulous coffee).

He also said all the PG's have their own coffee machines - just going by what he said - and you know I haven't been the slightest tool in the shed since my loss - but that's what he said.

Anyways, we have been happy with the coffee in the PG in the mornings:)

Yes, Pinnacles have coffee machines but I'm not sure all the coffee they serve there, all the time, is always from the Neptune Style Coffee Machine. We've had a great many Maasdam cruises and have certainly seen galley on Maasdam. :) Out of the probably thousands of cups of coffee we've had in Pinnacle on Maasdam, they have not always been the same. ;)

DH likes strong coffee so is fine the stronger the better. Me, a little less so, but usually it's very good to my taste.

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can.

Also of note is the fact that any unused monies on the soda card will be credited back to your account at the end of the cruise. It's automatic.

There isn't a coffee card anymore.

HAL has Beverage Cards:

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Savings -- can be used in the Explorations Cafe to buy speciality coffee as well as regular coffee)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $95.00 ($5 savings)

$250 Beverage Card cost $225 ($25 savings)

Is it correct that with the soda card you get cans, not fountain drinks? What products does HAL have?

I was on the Volendam Inside Passage cruise 5/16/12. I had MDR, Lido, Crow's Nest, room service coffee about 5 times per day. I thought that for restaurant coffee it was above average. However one of the most consistant complaints that I heard from fellow diners was how bad the coffee was. We had open seating and ate mostly in the MDR for lunch and dinner. My point is we had lots of different folks at our tables. Most of the passengers were Aussies or Brits. They went out of their way to impress on others how much they would give for a good cup brand xxx (theirs of course) coffee. :) I never said a word about it the whole cruise. Just an internal smile. I am a coffee snob, buy and roast my own beans. Taste is all about the taster. Yes of course there is bad coffee. But mostly it is relative. Princess does though, truly have the WORST coffee anywhere. Made from syrup.

Is it correct that with the soda card you get cans, not fountain drinks? What products does HAL have?

Yes, with the card you do get the whole can. Cocacola products are sold on board. Includ. Coke Zero. What were you looking for?

Yes, cans. The price is $1.95 + 15% service charge, for a total of $2.24 per can.

They are Coke products.

Using the soda card is an upfront load, in that you pay full price for the first $25 worth of soda, then the next $25 worth is free.

Thanks for all the comments... sounds like Holland beats Princess in the coffee department.

I'm all packed and ready to leave tomorrow. Can't wait!

Thanks again...

Marilyn

Well how much does a cup of coffee set you back in the Explorers lounge?? We are going to Alaska in Sept.. It may be quite cool there so coffee is a nice warm up. I am on an Air Base in Afghanistan so I have had some bad coffee. The coffee in Iraq had to be the absolute worse I have ever tasted. Some of the best was in Adana Turkey, very different but it was good.

Thanks for all the comments... sounds like Holland beats Princess in the coffee department.

I'm all packed and ready to leave tomorrow. Can't wait!

Thanks again...

Marilyn

Have a fabulous cruise on the Volendam.

We just got back from the Westerdam's May 26-June 2 Alaska cruise. Their Exploration Café has great lattes, but their mochas are too sweet because they use too much chocolate for my taste. They use Torrefazione coffee.

While it wasn't horrible, we didn't care for the MDR coffee, the Lido coffee, or room service coffee.

Archived