Do you enjoy "making conversation" with assigned tablemates on cruises?

librarygal

Absolutely. And very rude and judgmental to boot. Fortunately, there are very few people who don't know better than to behave like that.

Ann Landers had a great response for prying invasive, questions: "Why do you ask?"

Oh, don't you just miss Annie -- and her down-to-earth, no-nonsense answers! ;)

For the most part we quite enjoy dining with others. We have met some really interesting people and had some great conversations. There were only 2 times when we didn't enjoy our dinners. Once was at our very first dinner on our very first cruise, seated at a table for 6. One woman monopolized the conversation the entire meal. No one could get a word in. She just never shut up. We honestly wondered what we had let ourselves in for! Another night on a different cruise we were at a table for 8. There was a man who quite obviously felt he was better than everyone else. He was also an expert on everything. That night everyone at the table excused themselves right after the meal so that they could make the show - but I am pretty sure we all felt the same way about this man and just wanted to get away from him. We have always opted for anytime dining which is especially great because even if you have a "dud" tablemate, you can tolerate it because you know it's only for one night. :p

One question I find difficult to answer is along the lines of "Have you cruised before.....how many times.....etc" as I don't want to appear to be bragging (30+) Any suggestions as to an answer? At times I've felt awkward and I'm sure I came across as evasive. BTW I love talking cruises - my own or anybody else's!:D

we travel w/ another couple who have been friends for 40 yrs. He and I go back 50 years. We also travel w/ 2 rubber chickens who are always dressed appropriately for the dining room. We will generally introduce them (Sal Monella and Kaye F. Sea) and then return them to the tote they travel in.

If that doesn't get folks scratching their head, when we get to the inevitable "what do you do for a living?" question, I tell them I'm on a short respite from my 35 years in prison (which is true, as an employee, not an inmate). Ed then tells them that they can accept that at face value if they want, but the sad truth is that it's a mental hospital (and point of fact, for many years we did house the State's mentally ill prisoners at our facility).

Then when they find out that DW is a mental health nurse.... they're not certain whether their leg is being pulled or not. While we have chased off a few that just weren't sure about us, those that stay always tell us in the end that they had a memorable (we choose to believe that is a code word for wonderful) week. *L*

Anyone want to take chance in the dining room on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam, sailing 12/9? (we'll share our birthday cakes as Ed and I both turn 65 that week)

Growing older, but not up.... that's us!

Wow, I would just love you as table mates. The tales you could tell, true or not would certainly make for an interesting evening with lots of laughs.

My idea of a cruise is to have fun, relax and just enjoy myself without harming others in any way.

My biggest 'beef' is people with no manners.

In previous cruises (before my last one) my wife and I ate in the main dining room for most dinners with our "assigned tablemates" in tables that fit 6-10 people. The whole thing was quite an experience.

They say man's greatest fear is public speaking with making small talk with strangers coming in second. So with that in mind many of my assigned table mates in cruises over the years struggled just as hard as I did trying to come up with small talk to keep the conversation going.

In some cases we were quite successful and had some great conversations but in most cases the conversations made everyone nervous and ill at ease. There is only so much you can say to people you don't have any connection with day after day after day.

so...Do you enjoy "making conversation" with assigned tablemates on cruises? Tell us about your successes and disasters!

When we first started to cruise we would request a table for 6 or 8. Back then there weren't any speciality restaurants for people to go to. We didn't have trouble with talking to people. Then the ships were smaller and the cruise lines did a better job of matching tablemates -- usually by age. But as the years passed -- we were seated at tables where the conversation became more difficult as we were not "matched" very well. Some people would talk about the same thing night after night. And then speciality restaurants came along and people would go there from our tables. They never said they were going there and we would sit there and wait and wait before the waiter would take our dinner order.

We solved all those problems -- now we request a table for 2.

One question I find difficult to answer is along the lines of "Have you cruised before.....how many times.....etc" as I don't want to appear to be bragging (30+) Any suggestions as to an answer? At times I've felt awkward and I'm sure I came across as evasive. BTW I love talking cruises - my own or anybody else's!:D

Please don't feel awkward.

Its one of my favorite questions 'Are you seasoned cruisers'.

It opens up so much when you have someone like yourself with a wealth of knowledge. Even better when you are happy to impart that knowledge.

We have only cruised twice but have 3 booked to go. We are chasing your tail. LOL.

Tina:)

If they ask, they want to know. It's, therefore, not bragging at all, just imparting information. It opens the door for conversation about the places you've been, favorite cruises, etc. And maybe they've cruised even more than you have and want to do their own "bragging".

Anyway, you can just say, "quite a few cruises. And you?"

I haven't done nearly 30, yet, but I don't really keep track well - I have to count through the list to figure out the number. (Please don't ask which ships - I'm lucky if I remember which cruise line!)

If they ask, they want to know. It's, therefore, not bragging at all, just imparting information. It opens the door for conversation about the places you've been, favorite cruises, etc. And maybe they've cruised even more than you have and want to do their own "bragging".

Anyway, you can just say, "quite a few cruises. And you?"

I haven't done nearly 30, yet, but I don't really keep track well - I have to count through the list to figure out the number. (Please don't ask which ships - I'm lucky if I remember which cruise line!)

I agree 100%.

An uncomfortable tablemate story... On our last cruise there were a lot of wealthy people on board, but none of them bragged about it except one couple. We asked where they lived and got a list of where they own houses--and how much each was worth! had they mentioned that they spend most of their time in LA but also own some other homes that they vacation in, fine. But the listing of each one, how large it was, how many people staffed it, and what it was worth was just crass.

I agree 100%.

An uncomfortable tablemate story... On our last cruise there were a lot of wealthy people on board, but none of them bragged about it except one couple. We asked where they lived and got a list of where they own houses--and how much each was worth! had they mentioned that they spend most of their time in LA but also own some other homes that they vacation in, fine. But the listing of each one, how large it was, how many people staffed it, and what it was worth was just crass.

Crass, but a memorable tablemate tale for telling. I would have lapped that right up and probably tried to get an invite to borrow one of those homes for a future vacation...:D

I'm shy too but I do enjoy sitting at a big table and listening to everyone. My one problem is that I am an older widow traveling alone. On my 19 TA to Europe it was open dining and they always asked me if I wanted to be seated with others and I said yes. The problem is that so many people told me that I was "so brave" to travel alone. I don't consider myself "brave". I travel alone or don't travel and actually kind of like the freedom. I need a good come back I can use on my trip to Alaska in a few weeks.

I'm shy too but I do enjoy sitting at a big table and listening to everyone. My one problem is that I am an older widow traveling alone. On my 19 TA to Europe it was open dining and they always asked me if I wanted to be seated with others and I said yes. The problem is that so many people told me that I was "so brave" to travel alone. I don't consider myself "brave". I travel alone or don't travel and actually kind of like the freedom. I need a good come back I can use on my trip to Alaska in a few weeks.

Just say "Thank-you".

While you might not consider it brave, too many people wouldn't ever consider traveling alone beyond their own neighborhoods. My mom used to drive to/from Florida and Massachusetts alone every year and many of her friends thought she was SO brave to do so because they felt they would get lost (pretty tough to do, only about 3 turns the whole way) or would be helpless if something would happen (like a flat tire).

Seriously, I know a woman who got lost between her own home and a mall she frequented on a regular basis.

Me? I'm never lost, I'm exploring.

In previous cruises (before my last one) my wife and I ate in the main dining room for most dinners with our "assigned tablemates" in tables that fit 6-10 people. The whole thing was quite an experience.

.........in most cases the conversations made everyone nervous and ill at ease. There is only so much you can say to people you don't have any connection with day after day after day.

so...Do you enjoy "making conversation" with assigned tablemates on cruises? Tell us about your successes and disasters!

I am VERY gregarious and love talking and listening to new people whether at dinner or anywhere else. People love these reality shows on TV when indeed the best reality show is the human sitting across that table from you or walking down the street next to you!

The problem is that so many people told me that I was "so brave" to travel alone. I don't consider myself "brave".

No problem, just smile and say "thank you", then change the subject Many people have a fear of traveling alone and so from their perspective, what you are doing is brave - but there's no need to point it out. Bravery is doing something in spite of a fear of doing it, so different activities will seem brave to different people. I have a fear of ice skating, so lacing up skates and even entering an ice rink is being brave from my perspective, but I know a lot of others don't consider going skating as being brave. Same kind of thing.

I guess we have been lucky too. We enjoy talking to other people and getting to know them. On our last cruise we chose Select dining and DH missed the camaraderie of dining with other couples and sharing experiences. We did opt to share our table two nights with another couple and both times we were glad we were not paired with them night after night. The 6, 8, 10 person tables have worked out quite well.

I sail with NCL, so no table mates. We can eat whenever we feel like it and alone.

However, I will talk to anyone or strike up either a conversation or small talk anywhere on the ship. I find it interesting to talk to people and see all their experiences, backgrounds, cruises they've been on and so on. It's neat to meet new people. :)

I did start cruising back in the 80's when every ship had assigned seating and times. I do remember it being very awkward at times (depending on who you were "stuck" with). I remember my first cruise was our 1st anniversary (we were both 20 years old) and we were at the table with a couple that was probably around 60+ and they didn't have much to say to us at all. The next night we came to dinner, they had been "replaced" with another couple our age that was on their honeymoon. We got along great of course. :D

When asked, I usually just reply "many' or "lots" and leave it at that, unless asked a specific follow-up question.

A member of our family answers by saying: I lost count after I ran out of fingers and toes.

We really don't know exactly how many times we have cruised as we lost track years ago. We do a lot of B2Bs, so staying on the same ship for a B2B could be counted as cruising one time or two.

To complicate matters even more, there are some B2Bs that can actually be booked as one cruise (with one reservation number) or as two or three or more separate cruises. You can book the entire itinerary or individual segments.

On a Caribbean cruise, we learned that there are some Europeans who take a westbound repositioning cruise across the Atlantic each fall, remain on the ship cruising the Caribbean all winter, and return home on the eastbound repositioning in the spring.

I have no idea what the correct answer for them would be to the "how many times" question. :)

One way to answer that, if you don't feel comfortable stating the actual number, might be something along the lines of "We've sailed quite a bit, and one of our favorites was......" You might follow that up with a question about their favorite memory, which should nicely deflect the conversation away from numbers.

As the previous poster noted, how exactly you count the number of cruises can get a bit tricky with B2Bs, etc!

I love to talk and can talk to most anyone, anywhere at any time, so yes I enjoy meeting new tablemates. Sometimes it works, others not so much.

As stated, conversation is a skill that one can learn if interested. On the other hand there is nothing wrong at all with not being interested.

To me, the real trick to clever conversing has nothing at all to do with the actual conversation. It's more about attitude. Go with the flow, be relaxed, be yourself and know when to shut up. Look people in the eye, show genuine interest, don't forget to laugh at yourself and for goodness sake don't take anything too personal. And, if you're not interested, or things aren't progressing naturally and comfortably, just go on your way. No harm, no foul. Almost always you can go away having learned something new, or at least with an interesting tale of "I met these crazy people on the cruise and this one guy said...................!" Who knows, maybe I'll be the crazy lady in some other person's story.

As far as gay people, or straight people, people with rubber chickens, and yes, even people who wear socks with their sandals, like the saying goes: "All are welcome."

I love to converse with anyone! For the most part my tablemates have been great. The most interesting time was Jan. '09 in San Juan for a S. Carib cruise which didn't leave till 10 PM. The first night was open seating. My SIL and I found ourselves at a table with 4 very nice German ladies who spoke no English. In an effort to find a common language, one of the Germans started asking in French and Spanish if we spoke any other language. I used to teach Spanish, but have not been fluent for a LONG time. However, speaking a language you used to know is kind of like riding a bike--you never really forget. She and I began speaking 1st year Spanish and translating to our companions. It was a fun experience and we did fine! There we were-- total strangers from totally different cultures having a great time getting to know each other in a secondary language. Only on a cruiseship. D)

Archived