Elite Frustration

CathyCruises

I think the coupon idea is worth exploring. Celebrity might actually save some money by eliminating snacks, limiting drinks. and saving staff time. We might however lose to opportunity to meet some new people since people may more likely gather with friends in smaller venues. Of course people might debate how many coupons and how and when might they be used, but these are all details. Perhaps they could have a variety of options depending on the number of Elites on the cruise. A tradition Elite hour when the number permits, coupons when too high.

I have seen this mentioned before and have thought about it and my conclusion is as you say it does away with the social aspect the event brings, not just with fellow passengers, but officers too. There is a sense of recognition a coupon cannot give.

Included in the coupon booklet at the moment are savings on bottles of wine purchased and as far as drink coupons go that is as far as I would like to see it go. That Celebrity have an issue with the cost is undenied, but it would be a shame to go down the coupon route.

Phil

I have seen this mentioned before and have thought about it and my conclusion is as you say it does away with the social aspect the event brings, not just with fellow passengers, but officers too. There is a sense of recognition a coupon cannot give.

Included in the coupon booklet at the moment are savings on bottles of wine purchased and as far as drink coupons go that is as far as I would like to see it go. That Celebrity have an issue with the cost is undenied, but it would be a shame to go down the coupon route.

Phil

As I've said in prior posts: I enjoy meeting new people at the Elite Hour. That's why I go. I agree that we'd lose the social advantages if they issued coupons. I can also imaging all the comments on this board and others complaining that the coupons are "too limited", not sufficient in numbers", etc.. I can see them being utilized in cases where the number of Elites is just too great to be handled, but certainly prefer the status quo.

I haven't read all of the posts and it may have been mentioned but the solution would be to use the anytime dining option. Have your drinks and then go to dinner.

The Elite cocktail hour will never accomodate everyone's desires and they make it when they feel it is best. Like all of the other activites there will be conflicts and the passenger has to make a choice. If it doesn't interfere with dinner it would interfere with a show or something else. It is not a must attend it is just another choice available to the Elite.

As I've said in prior posts: I enjoy meeting new people at the Elite Hour. That's why I go. I agree that we'd lose the social advantages if they issued coupons. I can also imaging all the comments on this board and others complaining that the coupons are "too limited", not sufficient in numbers", etc.. I can see them being utilized in cases where the number of Elites is just too great to be handled, but certainly prefer the status quo.

Yep, you are right about the uproar there would be if changed to coupons. I can't think of a way to solve the problem. Once you give something it is much harder to take it away. Going back to why the thread was started a more flexible approach in the current climate isn't going to happen.

Phil

I think the coupon idea is worth exploring. Celebrity might actually save some money by eliminating snacks, limiting drinks. and saving staff time. We might however lose to opportunity to meet some new people since people may more likely gather with friends in smaller venues. Of course people might debate how many coupons and how and when might they be used, but these are all details. Perhaps they could have a variety of options depending on the number of Elites on the cruise. A tradition Elite hour when the number permits, coupons when too high.

I'm not saying COUPONS eliminate the gathering in Sky Lounge.

It's a possible solution to the overcrowding in Sky Lounge during the complimentary cocktail hours and it gives the Elite guest a choice whether to participate at the given time or not.

COUPONS also give waiters a tally to show management how many drinks they've served.

The Sky Lounge Bar should be open for any passengers wishing to relax and/or have a drink whether using a coupon or not. There's no alternate top-forward indoor area for passengers to enjoy sailaway (meaning, any time the ship leaves a port).

Regarding the social aspect of the Elite cocktail party: I find most passengers are interesting whether they are Elite or not. With coupons and a bar open in Sky Lounge the same social aspect is still possible.

Just say "Hello", "did you go ashore?", "are you from Timbuktu?"...... start the conversation, rather than depending on the complimentary drink :)

Maris

I LOVE Celebrity and being an Elite with all the wonderful perks. We enjoy the social time and free drinks with other similar cruisers and appreciate the laundry - computer time - dry cleaning - all the other nice things they do for us (and do not have to). I am always kind of surprised by people who complain about these nice additions to our cruise.

Karen

Hi Karen! Hope all is well and hope to cruise with you again. And we also think the perks are generous and enjoy them. JILL and Joe

I noticed that there were other events like 50s night parties, etc. held during the late seating. I think we just have to allow for stuff to be scheduled then. Some things just will not have two "seatings".

I also think that a cruise lines and all businesses are more likely to offer free drinks early because people are more likely to purchase them later.

Good discussion.

I'm not saying COUPONS eliminate the gathering in Sky Lounge.

It's a possible solution to the overcrowding in Sky Lounge during the complimentary cocktail hours and it gives the Elite guest a choice whether to participate at the given time or not.

COUPONS also give waiters a tally to show management how many drinks they've served.

The Sky Lounge Bar should be open for any passengers wishing to relax and/or have a drink whether using a coupon or not. There's no alternate top-forward indoor area for passengers to enjoy sailaway (meaning, any time the ship leaves a port).

Regarding the social aspect of the Elite cocktail party: I find most passengers are interesting whether they are Elite or not. With coupons and a bar open in Sky Lounge the same social aspect is still possible.

Just say "Hello", "did you go ashore?", "are you from Timbuktu?"...... start the conversation, rather than depending on the complimentary drink :)

Maris

When Celebrity first introduced the Elite cocktail session I believe they had it in mind that it would be a great way to recognise loyalty by inviting the guest to an event rather than just giving them another voucher and this in turn would, for want of a better word, make them feel more loved. I think they also wanted to promote interaction between guests to maybe develop mutually beneficial ideas that might not happen otherwise eg "I'm going to Alaska next Summer". "Hey Herb, we should do that!". Add to this the very easy way officers can mingle with the guests and there is just no way a coupon can compete. Then there's the flip side where the event on some popular Elite cruises has become so well attended that some forego the event as it is so busy, but the numbers because of the offer of a free drink in a convivial atmosphere still has benefits.

Phil

When Celebrity first introduced the Elite cocktail session I believe they had it in mind that it would be a great way to recognise loyalty by inviting the guest to an event rather than just giving them another voucher and this in turn would, for want of a better word, make them feel more loved. I think they also wanted to promote interaction between guests to maybe develop mutually beneficial ideas that might not happen otherwise eg "I'm going to Alaska next Summer". "Hey Herb, we should do that!". Add to this the very easy way officers can mingle with the guests and there is just no way a coupon can compete. Then there's the flip side where the event on some popular Elite cruises has become so well attended that some forego the event as it is so busy, but the numbers because of the offer of a free drink in a convivial atmosphere still has benefits.

Phil

It is good to understand what Celebrity had (has) in mind to recognize loyalty. I have not been privy to any of those details.

Surely most of the Elite group on CC appreciates Celebrity's promotions.

I try to learn about the present and offer options for the better in order to plan my future in cruising.

That's why I'm on the message board. I appreciate your opinions.

Maris

Cathy Cruises,

Did you have any second thought after posting this thread?

Like wishing you'd skipped the party, or wishing you had just stayed at the pool and purchased your own drinks later, or wishing you hadn't posted your frustration?

Just wondering.

thank you,

Maris

Wow, the inter web. :rolleyes:

I LOVED the Elite happy hour. Met people we befriended on the cruise, relaxed, thought that getting "free" drinks was better than good, it was great.

Thanks Celebrity.:D

Don't change a thing. :cool:

There will always be a complainer looking the perverbial gift horse in the mouth.

For us, it works 100% the way it is.

Wow, the inter web. :rolleyes:

There will always be a complainer looking the perverbial gift horse in the mouth.

We're very happy as well, but this is exactly what was said when many of the late seating people expressed frustration with the 4 to 6 in the afternoon hours. If there hadn't been so many people asking for the change it would still be 4 to 6.

The debate got as nasty as anything I have ever seen on Cruise Critic. (smoking threads included :rolleyes:)

We're very happy as well, but this is exactly what was said when many of the late seating people expressed frustration with the 4 to 6 in the afternoon hours. If there hadn't been so many people asking for the change it would still be 4 to 6.

The debate got as nasty as anything I have ever seen on Cruise Critic. (smoking threads included :rolleyes:)

LOL!!! :o A fist fight over getting free drinks.

Maybe the solution is a HH from 3pm to 10 pm. :eek::cool:

I'd go for that in a squeeze of lemon. :D

Cathy Cruises,

Did you have any second thought after posting this thread?

Like wishing you'd skipped the party, or wishing you had just stayed at the pool and purchased your own drinks later, or wishing you hadn't posted your frustration?

Just wondering.

thank you,

Maris

Well, I should have known better than to mess with tradition! It's hard for me to believe that so few people agreed that it IS an awkward situation for late diners. I would have expected 2/3 of the people to disagree with me and 1/4 to agree. But I guess now I am just labeled a complainer and an ingrate!

No matter, my next cruise is booked on Princess!! If in the future I find myself on a Celebrity cruise, and the ingrates haven't banded together and ruined it for everyone else :rolleyes:, I will attend the cocktail party if it fits with my schedule. And I will continue to buy my own pre-dinner martinis and bottles of wine at dinner and pina coladas by the pool as I always have!

I'm not sorry I posted, however. I wasn't trying to change the world, OR the Elite cocktail hour for that matter. I was just 'thinking out loud' if there might be a better way to handle both the crowds and the timing issue. But apparently it's perfect for 99.99% of my fellow cruisers and I accept that.

And if I hadn't had to fight for three long months with Celebrity to be properly credited as Elite, I wouldn't have been as disappointed to find out that the thing I was looking forward to most just wasn't working out like I imagined it would. Of course I still had a GREAT cruise!

Cathy thanks for posting.

I am currently fighting to get my Elite status straightened out. I sent an email that listed a Celebrity cruise that is not in my history and my RCI Crown and Anchor number. Response said they need proof of the Celebrity cruise and nothing about the RCI ones. So I am still working on it with them.

And because you posted I know what to expect as regards the cocktail party.

Just look at this thread as general discussion. Most people only care about a thing that bothers them and will tell you so. Note how many say they eat early and it doesn't bother them so it should not bother you ??? That's just human nature. Just go with it as general discussion and not personal.

Thanks again.

I didn't read all 5 pages of postings but wanted to say most times I dine late (8:30pm). Elite HH has never been a problem. Depending on the evening, I'll either dress for the evening and go to a show or hang out with friends after the HH; or will go back to the room to relax, read, journal, hang out with friends, or whatever, before dinner. In the second case, I usually hit the martini bar before dinner. And as one poster stated, it's a great way to socialize with other cruisers and to make new friends.

1.5 hours goes by pretty quickly.

The last cruise (Summit) and next two cruises are in aqua class, so we'll be dining in Blu. It was very nice going straight from HH to dinner.

Monica

Yes! ;)

Well, I should have known better than to mess with tradition! It's hard for me to believe that so few people agreed that it IS an awkward situation for late diners. I would have expected 2/3 of the people to disagree with me and 1/4 to agree. But I guess now I am just labeled a complainer and an ingrate!

But to be honest, I have never attended any of the Elite functions. Usually too crowded and just not my "cup of tea."

Howdy!

Let's all lighten up a bit and enjoy remembering our lovely mornings in the Observation Lounge at the (cold) buffet breakfast. Recall those free flowing espressos, cappuccinos, bloody mary's, mimosas, screwdrivers, freshly squeezed juices, smoothies, pleasant conversation and great view.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Yes! ;)

But to be honest, I have never attended any of the Elite functions. Usually too crowded and just not my "cup of tea."

Do they serve your "cup of tea" at the Elite Elegant Tea? That event is never too crowded.

Do they serve your "cup of tea" at the Elite Elegant Tea? That event is never too crowded.

Oh, I forgot about the Elegant Tea. The last time I went there were under 20 passengers.

I will be there, although the teas aren't very interesting and pretty standard.

Archived