Low-key Cruise Lines?

Hello there,

I am looking for some low-key, refined cruise lines similar to Celebrity. Does anyone have any recommendations? As you can see from my user name, I want a cruise I can relax on. No screaming adults or kids, overcrowding, or party-hearty types. I also love the formal evenings.

Thank you

You might want to look at a premium or luxury cruise line.

I would look at Azamara, Oceania (both premium) and also Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea (luxury).

Azamara is also owned by Celebrity and RCI owns them.

Keith

The mainstream line will not have many kids on their more exotic and longer cruises. For instance, we were on the Ocean Princess for 30 days sailing from Singapore to Cape Town. There was one child onbard - the 2 year old son of the captain

The mainstream line will not have many kids on their more exotic and longer cruises. For instance, we were on the Ocean Princess for 30 days sailing from Singapore to Cape Town. There was one child onbard - the 2 year old son of the captain

Yes but add to that the time of year.

Keith

All of the above are good suggestions but pricey. HAL still has formal nights (we love them too) and has a slightly older crowd which to me means they know how to leave you alone and also means not much partying. As far as kids, it depends more on time of year and length of cruise.

For an elegant, but casual line (no formal nights) think Regent.

Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone.

Does anyone know what the Norwegian cruise line demographic/ambience is?

PARTEEE ;)

Depends on the time of year & cruise itinerary

If you want very informal dress code & open dining it may work for you

It does not fit in your criteria mentioned above

It will have an overall younger passenger profile than Celebrity and depending on where and when you go it will have a lot of kids.

Based on all that you have said that one doesn't make sense.

Better Princess if you want a mass market line but again factor is when and where you go.

Keith

Hello there,

I am looking for some low-key, refined cruise lines similar to Celebrity. Does anyone have any recommendations? As you can see from my user name, I want a cruise I can relax on. No screaming adults or kids, overcrowding, or party-hearty types. I also love the formal evenings.

Azamara and Oceania do not have formal evenings.

Regent and Seabourn only have formal optional.

You may want to try Cunard, which is well known for its formal evenings.

Another vote for Oceania.

Relaxing, elegant, superb service and food. No kids, no photogs in your face, no cheesy announcements all day long, no over priced 'fru-fru' DOD being pushed at you, no corny Newlywed game etc. All restaurant outlets included. May bring on your own wine for consumption in your cabin.

I agree that Princess is a very good cruise line, but I would look at their newer ships such as the Emerald Princess.

Azamara is an excellent cruise line but does not have formal nights per se. Everyone does look great though on Azamara, even though they may not be in tuxedoes and cocktail dresses.

An Azamara cruise on sale is about as good a buy that you can find.

If you can fly to meet her, P&O's Adonia (formally Royal Princess) is child free, and has formal nights, strictly adhered to. More of a middle of the road ship, price wise, but is trying to be a cut above some of the other P&O family friendly ships. She did a long cruise this winter, and called in the USA, so there's a possibility you could meet her there. P&O also has 2 other ships which are adult only- again, middle of the road , and with formal nights.

Saga cruises has 2 ships for the over 50s, with partner over 40....they go to interesting ports, have formal evenings, and do a world cruise in sections.

Hebridean Princess is the top notch one- very formal, and the Queen has just awarded her the Royal Warrant....very expensive, but someday I'll be there....:)

Jo.

Definitely Oceania would be the best....... but comparing Oceania to the other cruise lines is comparing apples to oranges since Oceania is a premium/luxury cruise line. Cunard is basically a mass market cruiseline with one area that is luxury (and you pay quite a bit for that luxury). IMO, Oceania is the best value for the money.

NCL is considered by many as a bargain basement cruise line that is VERY casual with no real formal nights. They also attract lots of kids. Consequently, when you consider your stated priorities, NCL would be at the bottom of your list.

You also stated you love formal evenings. That would eliminate Azamara, Oceania and Regent which really have no formal evenings, just what they call country club casual.

So, that leaves Cunard, especially their trans ocean sailings, Crystal, a line that's probably the most formal, and Silversea.

Thank goodness I asked this question. I almost booked an NCL cruise simply because it went to both Belize and Honduras. But it sounds too casual and young for my husband and myself. We are quiet types and old souls at 36 (me) and 51 (him).

You guys are a wealth of information. I at least now know that Cunard, Crystal, Silversea, and Princess will be our best bets in addition to Celebrity.

I did not see Holland America listed. Does anyone know what they are like? Do they offer formal nights and an older crowd? (preferred)

I did not see Holland America listed. Does anyone know what they are like? Do they offer formal nights and an older crowd? (preferred)

I'm surprised nobody has suggested HAL, because they seem to be exactly what you're looking for. We thoroughly enjoyed HAL for their low-key, sophisticated approach - even the children on board were calmer and well-behaved. I would definitely look at them.

We also enjoyed NCL, but definitely a more casual experience.

Regent, although a luxury cruise line, is comparable with HAL, Princess and Celebrity pricing for people who stay in their larger cabins. They do not even have "formal optional" unless your cruise is over 15 nights. It is a country club type atmosphere (without snobbiness).

Unlike Oceania (it's sister cruise line) and Azamara, it is completely all-inclusive. The suites are large, service and food wonderful -- ships barely larger than Oceania or Azamara and two of their ships are all suites. When you take the price of a Regent cruise and deduct the included airfare, tips, alcohol and other beverages and most excursions, you are looking at quite a deal.

Just something else to consider.

I'm glad you asked your question before booking too! Another good example of why research is SO important BEFORE one books.

I think HAL would be a good fit for you too, from what I've read here on CC.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I'm surprised nobody has suggested HAL, because they seem to be exactly what you're looking for. We thoroughly enjoyed HAL for their low-key, sophisticated approach - even the children on board were calmer and well-behaved. I would definitely look at them.

We also enjoyed NCL, but definitely a more casual experience.

That is great to hear about HAL. Thank you!

Archived