No more tour in Sitka...Now what?

JulesBee

Sitka is a great town to walk around. To piggyback on Joanie's mention of the Sitka Pioneers Home - inside it is a cute little gift shop ( I know you said you weren't a shopper) but it is tiny and the items are made by the residents. Castle Hill is fun to walk up with a nice view. There are performances by a Russian dance group at Centennial Bldg but we have always missed that so check the times. The Sitka History Museum is also there. The Russian Bishop's History House/Museum is interesting and of course the Sheldon Jackson Museum is the big one. We always visit the Sitka Rose Gallery - although a shopping place - just looking at the lAlaskan artist's work is also an experience. You don't have to buy although I seem to always buy something there. Barbara

Wow! Thank you everyone for all the great information! I'm writing everything down to research when I get off work.

BUT...I'm starting to think I need a week to spend in Sitka! I have a sabbatical next year and we are thinking to pick our favorite port in Alaska and go back during my sabbatical for a land vacation. It sounds like this might be a good candidate from what I'm seeing.

Thanks again to all of you. I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and advice. :D

Oh, and I mentioned I'm at work right now? Yeah, it's getting harder and harder to actually work. I think my brain has already switched to vacation mode and 'what do I still need to get done' mode. :eek:

For anyone who is a wildlife enthusiast, Sitka is a wonderful port for varied wildlife viewing, whales and puffins and otters, and amazing birds at St. Lazaria Island.

Some local Sitka operators who receive great reviews for their wildlife tours are

Davey of Esther G

http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/rates.php

alaskadavey@gci.net

cell 907-738-6481 home 907-747-6481 (night)

Jim Seeland of Sitka Sound Tours

http://www.sitkasoundtours.com/

(907)738-1190

Paul Davis of Gallant Adventures

www.gallantadventures.com

(907)-738-2855

When we were in Sitka we walked everywhere. Walk towards the right .there is a par along the marina. Keep walking go to other trail park full of totems. .on the way stop at the hands on little aquarium .check out the salmon farm

Keep walking

We loved Sitka

Lots to do

You can catch a boat tour from the local operators they. Reduced their. Price forms the islands around are very pretty the otters. Adorable

Enjoy

As soon as you arrive at the tender pier, Baranhof Hill (where the first US flag was raised after the purchase from Russia) is right in front of you.

The location of the hill is right in front of you if your tender point is McConnell Bridge. If your tenders drop you at the Centennial Center, the Hill is a short walk to the left. Worth the visit either way... with great views and good photo opportunities. Learn from my mistake... lots of steps to reach the Hill from Lincoln Street, but a handy ramp available from the side closest to the water. (Look for the sign stating "Baranof Castle Hill -- State Historic Site..." to find the ramp. Lots easier on the legs!)

We were in Sitka just last week. We got off the tender and right next to the pier is a bus-stop. Look for a red trolley/bus called "Tribal Tours". They run every 30 minutes all over town. They are $10 per person and you can go on and off as often as you wish. They will narrate and take you to the totem pole park, the cannery, the Raptor Center (which is way into the woods, so don't walk - it's too far!), the church, etc. It is so convenient and you just hop on and off at your leisure. Cheap and friendly. The Raptor Center cost us $12 per person and was very much worth it. Many birds and a nice trail to walk in the rainforest, too. Enjoy Sitka. We loved it. :)

This is the best bet if you don't want to do a regular tour. What I liked the best about this - you could spend all the time you wanted to and not worrying about holding up a tour - Three must see places - the Raptor Center, the Sheldon Jackson Museum AND St. Michael's Cathedral. All three will give you a taste of the journey that Sitka has progressed through from the early native residents up to the present. Sitka is my all time favorite port on the Alaskan cruise routes.

What ever you decide to do - Have a wonderful cruise.

SMILE - :D - it will always confuse an oncoming frown.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September - 2014 Panama Canal - - 28 day (changed from 2013 son set wedding date so we had to forgo 2013 cruise)

August – 2015 – Eastern Med – 28 days or one that will be cruising Black Sea

As others have said, Sitka is a lovely port - one of our favorites! You can walk or take the shuttle to the Raptor Center (great experience! Be sure to go to the show when they bring the eagle out and you're up close and personal with him - amazing!), then walk down thru the Totem Park (almost spiritual, hushed forest, the water views, the amazing totem poles - loved it!), then as you're walking back to town, be sure to stop at the little, volunteer aquairum that is right along the waterfront. Go inside, give a small donation (no admittance fee), and have a ball. The volunteer guides are young and enthusiastic, there is a great touch tank where you can pick up these lovely pastel colored starfish (really! baby blue, mint green, pale yellow and lavender - just stunning!), and go out back to see the tubs of salmon fry. We spent about an hour just wandering around in the aquarium, and it isn't all that big!

Have a reindeer sausage from the food court in the center of town at the traffic light, check out the dancers in the visitor center, climb to the top of the hill where the US took possession of Alaska, go into the little true Alaskan shops - bought some gorgeous handcrafted Alaskan Amber jewelery there for a reasonable price, watch the eagles everywhere (always look up to the cross on top of the church - we've never once been there that there hasn't been an eagle sitting there!), enjoy the views of Mt. Edgecomb, the volcano that towers over this port, and check out the sealions right along the waterfront in the harbor, usually quite active!

Sitka is a gem - sailing in and out of this island studded harbor port is always an adventure, we've seen whales numerous times (saw my first gray whale in Sitka harbor!:D), eagles everywhere, friendly faces in town - just a real Alaskan town that has not yet been spoiled by tourism...and I hope it never is. Enjoy, enjoy!

I wrote the Raptor center a about a month or so ago ... here's the information they sent me:

We are located about a mile from the docks. If you are not up for walking, we do have a shuttle bus that departs the dock on the hour and the half hour. It is very well marked, so finding it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you do decide to walk I suggest you follow Lincoln Street down to the Sitka National Historic Park and take the upper level, follow the trail all the way through, you will come out of the park on Sawmill Creek Road, there is a crosswalk to your right, use that to cross the street and take a left, we are the first road, called Raptor Way. Hope this helps you, and please let me know if you have more questions.

Ange Grant

Member Services Manager

Alaska Raptor Center

1000 Raptor Way

Sitka, AK 99835

(907) 747-8662

www.alaskaraptor.org

2nd e-mail ... I asked about the shuttle bus (was it theirs or a city shuttle):

Mary, this is the Raptor Centers shuttle bus, we started this last year. There is a charge that will include admission to the Center as well as round-trip transportation. We currently don't have a price set, but last year it was under $20.00. It's a nice deal as you don't have to worry about a taxi being late, or never showing up. If you would like to contact me closer to your arrival I'm sure we'll have a set price in a month or so.

Ange Grant

Member Services Manager

Alaska Raptor Center

1000 Raptor Way

Sitka, AK 99835

(907) 747-8662

www.alaskaraptor.org

.........Sitka is a gem - sailing in and out of this island studded harbor port is always an adventure, we've seen whales numerous times (saw my first gray whale in Sitka harbor!:D)..........
It was a special treat finding ourselves surrounded by gray whales when we went out with Captain Davey in his little boat.

We had seen humpbacks and orcas at other Alaska locations, but Sitka was also our first for the gray whales.

Love Sitka!

For anyone who is a wildlife enthusiast, Sitka is a wonderful port for varied wildlife viewing, whales and puffins and otters, and amazing birds at St. Lazaria Island.

Some local Sitka operators who receive great reviews for their wildlife tours are

Davey of Esther G

http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/rates.php

alaskadavey@gci.net

cell 907-738-6481 home 907-747-6481 (night)

Jim Seeland of Sitka Sound Tours

http://www.sitkasoundtours.com/

(907)738-1190

Paul Davis of Gallant Adventures

www.gallantadventures.com

(907)-738-2855

I have to agree, we went out with Davey in 2010 and had a wonderful time. We tried to book with him for our stop next month but he is booked up, but he gave us some other wonderful suggestions of things to do in town.

I have to agree, we went out with Davey in 2010 and had a wonderful time. We tried to book with him for our stop next month but he is booked up, but he gave us some other wonderful suggestions of things to do in town.

I think I am the only one on this forum who did not enjoy this tour. From what I was told, we just had a bad day. There was so little wildlife it was a big disappointment. Mostly we saw eagles. I was so disappointed I gave up touring the town of Sitka for this bust of a tour. I know others had much better luck, but not us.

We enjoyed the Russian folk dancing by the New Archangel Dancers. It's a half-hour show and it costs $10. It's in Harrigan Centennial Hall, right next to the tender dock.

We also enjoyed the Sea Otter Wildlife Quest which we signed up for through Holland America. It lasted three hours and we saw a mother humpback whale and her calf, as well as dozens of sea otters, and some eagles.

Thanks everyone! Now there are so many things we want to see it will be hard choosing! What a great problem to have :D

It sounds like we are going to have an absolutely awesome time no matter what we decide on.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us these great ideas.

Cheers!

Sitka's our favorite spot on Alaska cruises actually. We walk the entire town, first going rigt to Totem Pole Park or whatever it's called, then up to the museum then on to the not-to-be-missed Rapture Center. From there we walk back toward the town center and the church, dtc. It's a great! walking town if you are capable.

Archived