Evening/Dinner clothes on Infinity/Alaska

Robin122

First time on Celebrity.

Ok, to start off, if I understand correctly, there are 2 formal, 2 informal and 3 casual nights on the 7 night AK, right?

Now, what constitues those 3 categories on this ship?

I am guessing we will not participate in formal nights because we don't have formal wear. Hubby and I are both ummm... fluffy and tux rentals are near impossible for him and I don't have full length formals. I do have nice dresses (nicer than 'church dress') but not full length. (for example, I have this one in fuchsia) Hubby does have a lovely pair of black dress pants, burgandy shirt and a med/dark grey jacket but HATES to wear a tie. Assuming they still fit him :rolleyes: and if I got him in a tie, would that work for formal night (and my dress linked above) or would that be too casual?

Can hubby and son (7) wear Dockers type slacks and a Polo shirt on the other nights? Or would that be considered casual nights only?

I would rather miss some nights than to be embarrased because we were under dressed. (at least there's no 'short pants' questions for my son since we'll be in a cooler climate... tee hee)

Thanks!

Robin

No, the three-category system was abolished some years ago. You are looking at some out-of-date website (which should make you suspicious of any other information they have for you). There are two categories: Formal (tux or suit or jacket/tie for men, fancy dresses but not necessarily floor length, or silky slacks and glittery tops for women) and the other nights are all now"Smart Casual and above".

For this, men wear nice slacks, neat jeans, collared shirts (polos are fine), pullover sweaters, sport coats, and the like, women wear nice clothes, skirts, capris, slacks, dresses, not shorts or beachwear.

With a jacket and no tie, he would be ok in the MDR on a formal night, but you have to ask yourself, would it feel out of place to be among men in tuxes and suits? If not then it would work, but I think a lot of men would consider themselves to be underdressed on those nights. He wouldn't be alone, but he would definitely be in the minority.

First time on Celebrity.

Ok, to start off, if I understand correctly, there are 2 formal, 2 informal and 3 casual nights on the 7 night AK, right?

I am guessing we will not participate in formal nights because we don't have formal wear. Hubby and I are both ummm... fluffy and tux rentals are near impossible for him and I don't have full length formals. I do have nice dresses (nicer than 'church dress') but not full length. (for example, I have this one in fuchsia) Hubby does have a lovely pair of black dress pants, burgandy shirt and a med/dark grey jacket but HATES to wear a tie. Assuming they still fit him :rolleyes: and if I got him in a tie, would that work for formal night (and my dress linked above) or would that be too casual?

Can hubby and son (7) wear Dockers type slacks and a Polo shirt on the other nights? Or would that be considered casual nights only?

I would rather miss some nights than to be embarrased because we were under dressed. (at least there's no 'short pants' questions for my son since we'll be in a cooler climate... tee hee)

Thanks!

Robin

Hi,

First don't stress yourself over being too casual.

From what I have led to believe Alaska cruises are less formal. I have sailed with Celebrity twice. I don't even pack a dress of any type or fancy shoes. I wear black slacks & a fancyish top & never felt out of place. Depending on space in our suitcase my DH has taken & worn a suit, on our last Royal cruise he wore slacks & a sports jacket, shirt & tie, & on a recent Carnival cruise it was more casual so no jacket of any type.

We are sailing on the Infinity to Alaska in mid Sept. He was planning on wearing a white knit shirt, slacks & his sports jacket. We have never felt out of place. Long gowns are a thing of the past, you might see a few but not that many.

The main rule on any of the cruise lines is no jeans in the MDR in the evenings although some still do wear them. Shorts, T-Shirts & sleeveless shirts are not usually welcomed in the evening as well. So dockers & polos would be fine. They like shirts with a collar.

So enjoy yourself. I don't think that a missing jacket or tie would get you kicked out of the dining room. Heck many men take off their jackets while sitting at a table eating their dinner.

Enjoy your cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

No, the three-category system was abolished some years ago. You are looking at some out-of-date website (which should make you suspicious of any other information they have for you). There are two categories: Formal (tux or suit or jacket/tie for men, fancy dresses but not necessarily floor length, or silky slacks and glittery tops for women) and the other nights are all now"Smart Casual and above".

For this, men wear nice slacks, neat jeans, collared shirts (polos are fine), pullover sweaters, sport coats, and the like, women wear nice clothes, skirts, capris, slacks, dresses, not shorts or beachwear.

With a jacket and no tie, he would be ok in the MDR on a formal night, but you have to ask yourself, would it feel out of place to be among men in tuxes and suits? If not then it would work, but I think a lot of men would consider themselves to be underdressed on those nights. He wouldn't be alone, but he would definitely be in the minority.

As cruisestitch said there are now only two dress codes for dinner, the three codes were removed several years ago. Also, the Specialty restaurants are "smart casual" every night regardless of what the dress code is in the MDR. Finally, the formal dress code applies only to the MDR, no where else on the ship...

Here is a link to the dress codes...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&faqSubjectId=55

Thank you all for the responses! That makes me SO happy to hear!

I'd gotten the impression that it was a much more formal atmosphere and if you didn't have a tux you'd be out of place on formal night! (now to see if the suit still fits hubby...)

I'll have to get something nice for our son. ohhhhh... I wonder if his Christmas outfit would still fit! Matching vest and tie with slacks and white shirt. The burgandy might even match dad's shirt. He loves to match dad.

think I'll have to dig up that website and let them know their info is outdated, if I can find it again.

I just came back from Alaska on the Infinity. Very few men were wearing a Tux, so don't worry. They were giving jackets at the entrance of the MDR to the men that weren't using one, but a lot of them declined and nothing happened. Most of the japanese men doesn't wear a jacket and the women were very casual on formal nights. I would say that probably a 10% wore a tux and a formal dress. Enjoy your cruise. We love the ship, the attention was unbelievable and the trip amazing!!!!! Have fun! Do not miss the naturalist Brent Nixon.

An earlier post said:

"The main rule on any of the cruise lines is no jeans in the MDR in the evenings although some still do wear them. Shorts, T-Shirts & sleeveless shirts are not usually welcomed in the evening as well. So dockers & polos would be fine. They like shirts with a collar.

So enjoy yourself. I don't think that a missing jacket or tie would get you kicked out of the dining room. Heck many men take off their jackets while sitting at a table eating their dinner."

This is not quite accurate as far as Celebrity goes. Jeans are not banned in the MDR and many will wear them on the "smart casual and above night". Shorts and T-shirts and sleeveless shirts are not allowed and you would probably be turned away from the MDR or any specialty restaurant if you tried to enter in shorts. Missing a jacket may be a problem or may not be -- men are often given jackets on formal nights if they arrive without one. On the cruise Van-lop was on he noted that if someone declined the jacket there was no problem but on numerous other threads there have been mentions of men being denied access to the MDR without a jacket of their own or one provided by the MaitreD. Yes, some take it off and put it over the back of the chair, but Celebrity does try to maintain the spirit of the formal nights in the MDR.

The main rule on any of the cruise lines is no jeans in the MDR in the evenings although some still do wear them.

This is such old information. Celebrity removed jeans being forbidden in the dining room quite a while back.

This is such old information. Celebrity removed jeans being forbidden in the dining room quite a while back.

Hi,

We don't sail on Celebrity that often, & although my DH usually doesn't wear jeans on a cruise. Going to Alaska & then doing a 17nt Panama Canal cruise following he will he now be able to make better use of his jeans in the evening & save his slacks for formal night & on our cruise that follows. That will make it a little easier to pack. I on the other hand don't own or wear jeans even at home. Again Thanks for the updated info.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

I just came back from Alaska on the Infinity. Very few men were wearing a Tux, so don't worry. They were giving jackets at the entrance of the MDR to the men that weren't using one, but a lot of them declined and nothing happened.

:( Oh my, I'm sad to hear this, it's quite a contradiction to what has been posted on this board numerous times.

I was under the impression that Celebrity was a more formal line and just bought a new ball gown type dress. Also I've insisted to my reluctant husband that he bring his wedding tux as well as purchased a tux for my son.

Should we not pack all this? We're going to look quite silly in our formal wear next to people in slacks and Polo shirts.

:( Oh my, I'm sad to hear this, it's quite a contradiction to what has been posted on this board numerous times.

I was under the impression that Celebrity was a more formal line and just bought a new ball gown type dress. Also I've insisted to my reluctant husband that he bring his wedding tux as well as purchased a tux for my son.

Should we not pack all this? We're going to look quite silly in our formal wear next to people in slacks and Polo shirts.

Pack it....You won't look silly at all....Hard to look silly if you are following the dress code set by the Cruise Line !! I wear my tux or suit; my wife and our friends wear their long dresses and/or gowns, on formal night regardless of the itinerary...and regardless of what others are wearing !!

And just imagine the fantastic family photos you will have as a lasting memory of the special evenings !!

Enjoy !

Woody

First time on Celebrity.

Thanks!

Robin

Hello,

Based on my experience, on celebrity ( including Alaska) and many other cruise lines, formal night as one person said you don't need a tux, but many men still wear them, but a dark suit and white shirt and tie will do for men including teenage boys. Ladies of course typically dress to the 9's! Other nights dockers and polo shirts are fine. Ye, alaska is cooler, but the inside of the ship is typically very comfortable. For the day, of course you might need a windbreaker and when you are near the glaciers, winter gear.

You aren't supposed to ever wear shorts for dinner nor jeans- but I have seen people do their own thing. As another person said- you might feel uncomfortable. Why stress- bring some dressy clothes and enjoy. Tell hubby for two nights wearing a nice tie will make for nice pictures and memories.

You will all be fine in the outfits you described and the spwciality resteraunts and the buffet don't require "formal" attire. Enjoy your cruise. Celebrity is a great line and the food is some of the best at sea.

~Doris~

You will like perfect on formal night as will your other family members. It is a festive occassion and you should be part of the action. Why would you want to feel uncomfortabe at any ship venue? Pack your formal attire!

You aren't supposed to ever wear shorts for dinner nor jeans- but I have seen people do their own thing.

Please post up to date info if you're going to post on a dress code thread. Celebrity allows Jeans in the MDR on Smart Casual Nights.

I am wearing formal long gowns and hubby is wearing a suit and tie. You won't be alone!:)

Please post up to date info if you're going to post on a dress code thread. Celebrity allows Jeans in the MDR on Smart Casual Nights.

Correct, jeans were removed from the forbidden list last year....They are perfectly acceptable on "smart casual' nights in all restaurants...

• 3 weeks later...

Just reporting back on what I saw on my cruise last week on the Infinity. :)

Formal nights:

Men:I'd say 95% of the men wore jackets of some sort. Either a full-on suit and tie, or blazer/nice shirt/tie with coordinating pants. Some men had a blazer/pants/dressy shirt (or turtleneck) with no tie. My husband wore a blazer, nice shirt, tie, and dressy pants. Even the few gentlemen that I saw without jackets were nicely dressed, obviously trying to "dress up." I saw just one or two tuxedos.

Women: I saw mostly cocktail dresses, a few dressy pantsuits, lots of black pants/dressy tops. I saw maybe one or two long ball-type gowns. I wore little black dresses and fit right in.

Kids: My kids have lots of dresses (they are girly girls!). They got a chance to re-wear some Christmas dresses before they outgrow them, so I was happy! Looked like most of the other kids were doing the same thing.

Non-formal nights: Saw a mix of everything, khakis, jeans, skirts. No t-shirts at dinner in MDR, saw a few at lunch and breakfast. The MDR seemed to be dressier at the beginning of the cruise than at the end. I did not see ANY shorts at any time in the MDR, however, that may have been a function of the cold weather.

I am feeling the same way, hubby is wearing a suit not a tux, but nice. I am wearing a different floor length gown on both formal nights and am wondering if I am going to feel weird as it looks like a lot of people don't really observe the formal dress code.

I am feeling the same way, hubby is wearing a suit not a tux, but nice. I am wearing a different floor length gown on both formal nights and am wondering if I am going to feel weird as it looks like a lot of people don't really observe the formal dress code.

Hi:) I agree with the previous poster (hi Joanie:)).....there

are many people who do dress up:D and I also think you have

no reason to feel weird. Of course nobody can really tell you

how to feel or not feel, but I think you will be just fine and so will

your hubby:)

I agree, enjoy your formal wear - take great photos and dont worry about anyone else. You look great, you feel great and you will photograph great. No full length gown is not a problem A fancy short dress will do fine.

Pack it....You won't look silly at all....Hard to look silly if you are following the dress code set by the Cruise Line !! I wear my tux or suit; my wife and our friends wear their long dresses and/or gowns, on formal night regardless of the itinerary...and regardless of what others are wearing !!

And just imagine the fantastic family photos you will have as a lasting memory of the special evenings !!

Enjoy !

Woody

I agree, enjoy your formal wear - take great photos and dont worry about anyone else. You look great, you feel great and you will photograph great. No full length gown is not a problem A fancy short dress will do fine.

I also agree- For those who are worried about carrying dress clothes with them, A man can easily rent a tux with two shirts for the length of the cruise. When my husband and I look back at the photos we have great memories about sharing the special time together. For ladies, a long skirt, fancy slacks and tops, or even a light weight gown packs easily. For me, it is nice to treat myself to having my hair washed and blown by a professional. People deserve to be pampered from time to time.

I don't understand why people only think this applies to the dining room? Nice to be dressed up all evening at any venue. My son in law had a problem with his clothes, as he gained weight and didn't have dress clothes that fit him properly, so prior to the cruise he went shopping and purchased clothes that fit. He felt comfortable and well dressed on the cruise.

However, to each his own and those who do not want to dress up- they can do what makes them happy.

Archived