RCCL-If you are reading please stop giving me a gift of a silly basket of nothing

You may not be ungrateful but you are wasteful!

You know back when they did hand out the hats, etc., people were ungrateful

for them and wanted something else. RC can't win.

Instead of throwing the gift away, just give it to your cabin steward and explain you do not want the gift.

Which goes to show that RCI cannot win in this situation. The best thing to do is just cut out ALL gifts and then we can have a new thread about how RCI is being cheap.:rolleyes:

Maybe RCI should have the option to sign up for this gift rather than have someone like the OP waste it.

I happen to like it. We fly to and from many of our ports of embarkation and those snacks come in handy on some flights that don't offer anything substantial to eat. The fruit and nuts come in handy to throw into a backpack for the hikes we like to do in some ports.

I bet OP is in the minority on this. The food basket comes in handier than another hat or fanny pack - although I liked those type of gifts, too, if they would change them more often and be a bit more creative. We sort of had that at the D+ level until they started removing options in favor of more wine.

To throw it in the bin is RUDE and thoughtless IMO. There are plenty of people around the ship who would appreciate it. Give it away.

Gina

I happen to like it too. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!"

Although I agree that the basket isn’t the best gift. At the same time I believe I have 3 of the same baseball cap that I got as my gift before they baskets started. At least with the basket I “use” them each time.

I would hope that as our economy continues to turn around some of the older RCI SOP might return, i.e. the chocolates on the pillows at turn down. Maybe if that was to happen there would be possibility for “improved” C&A gifts, or at least the return of the hats, frames and bags.

And to be completely honest, is the most important part of your C&A membership the welcome gift…..NO

OHHHH NOOO!!! Not the mints! Don't you recall all the posts from people who hated the mints? Until they quit putting them on pillows. :eek:

I'm with the other posters who find the little snacks useful when flying or on the drive home.

Edited by temple1

I think this just proves we all have different preferences! The snack basket & drinks are just a nice little gesture. I do think the drinks are the best part, though. The D basket has exactly what was shown in the picture - little bags of nuts and dried fruit, and a small package of cookies plus bottled water or a soft drink. It is a bit ridiculous for such little items to be packaged in that great big basket/box with about a pound of shredded paper under them.

I think it would be nice if they gave us a choice and we could set it online for each cruise. (I realize that would end up being a lot harder on them, though, so it's probably not likely to happen.) I didn't particularly like the hat, but the tote bag......I found that really useful...I would be happy to get that again!;)

Judy

I was taught that in polite society if one receives a gift that isn't liked he/she is to be gracious, without letting the giver know it wasn't liked. RC has people who read these

boards, so they know what the OP has said!

We, for our part say thank you, RC for welcoming us aboard.

Cruzin Lady

I not only enjoy the snacks & drink that I got...I used the baskets to store small stuff in my bath closet...and my sister snagged the ribbon to use as a pony tail bow on our next cruise...More baskets please....:D

I think it's a good thing that Royal changed the gifts up a bit.

We already have the tote bags, caps, frames, visors, etc., which are all very nice ... we do use them ... but we don't need more of them now.

We not only enjoy the little snacks, which are great to take on excursions, but we also take home the box they were packaged in.

Yes, really! They are actually very well-made, sturdy little boxes, and we have found many uses for them at home. Call me crazy, but I do appreciate good design.

It's a pleasure to enter the cabin for the first time and see little bottles of wine, an attractive, beribboned gift box, and coupon books all neatly arranged on the counter; I for one hope they continue this program.

Regards,

Jan

To quote Dr. Suess:

I do not like the hats,

I do not like the frames,

I do not like the nuts or fruit or some of their silly games

But I do like the sun,

I do like the sea,

And I do like the way RCI answers it royally

The ships are luscious,

The food delicious,

So don’t be a hater,

Let RCI cater

The sea is calling,

So quit your balling

Enjoy your cruise,

Each and every one of you!

:p:D

Gift basket -- In May, I was traveling with my Dad, age 88. He'd already eaten most of what was in the basket long before I had a chance to even see what was there. He also mentioned how much he'd enjoyed his 'treat'.

I'm looking forward to 'my' basket on my next sailing! I enjoy the nuts and the brownie and the vino.

Like many others, I received too many identical hats but managed to use most of them over time.

I honestly believe that a 'go green' tote bag - similar to what many grocery stores now offer for $3.99 - would be a great gift. We could carry our 'green RCCL bag' around with us - either as we bag groceries or head off to the beach. Great advertising for RCCL and reuseable over and over if the correct product to create a reusable bag is used.

Judy

It was a basket with a small packet of biscuits and a small packet of dried fruit with an enormous amount of hay/straw in the basket.

Seriously i do not wish to be ungrateful but i do not need biscuits or dried fruit, the ships always have lovely fruit and cookies on board.

The hats, bags etc i have made so much use of.

Please do not call me ungrateful but i hate to see the waste of money, all of us on the last cruise placed them in the bin.

That's where the waste comes in. There are others who would have appreciated your largesse had you chosen to pass them on rather than simply discard them as though they were trash. As others have mentioned, not everyone is so disturbed about the contents of the basket and some even admit to enjoying them.

I remember fondly many of the gifts that RCI used to provide its guests and I also remember the large number of complaints from guests who had accumulated far more ball caps and other duplicative gifts than they could ever use. Given the evident lack of sufficient appreciation for those gifts from so many cruisers, it is easy to understand why the company decided to stop providing them.

We appreciate the gesture (although yes, it is a small one). What I do find wasteful is the packaging. The box and confetti paper inside are tossed and not reused (recycled maybe but not reused). Perhaps they can come up with packaging that is less wasteful.

My favorite all time C&A gift was the tote bag. We bring it on every cruise as our beach bag. Love it!

I'm sitting here, writing, and looking at the little bag of nuts, that was in the gift basket, that we brought home.

For D+ and above, Royal Caribbean adds a bit more to the gift box. It includes cheese and crackers, and I have to say........Thank you Royal Caribbean, for this little gift, as usually the cheese (very decent) and crackers are gone by day 2! What a great snack, especially with the little Alice White chard!!

To me, it's a very nice selection. We are not great nut eaters, but they are there, and we sometimes bring them out for guests in our cabin, while we are all enjoying a bit of wine.

There are two sides to every story!!:D;)

Rick

I'm with the OP on this. I brought up how stupid it was last year to give this and was chastised for it here. Not ungrateful, but good grief. Give me a free frozen drink or something, not this stupid thing

first picture is what it looks like wrapped up pretty.

Second is the contents

crown_and_anchor_gift_3.JPG

crown_and_anchor_gift_4.JPG

I'LL take that!

I like the little Gift basket as well ;) it does come in handy when you are coming back from a tour of some kind and starving to death!

Believe it or not, I like the Diamond basket best ( see picture posted by Arzeena) instead of the D+ one, that I get and it is because of the dried fruit

I also wish they would bring back some of the other items ( towels, totes, different type of hat )

Edited by seacat65

Hats?? Totes?? Pleather frames...............keep em!! How many can one have?

I enjoy the basket much more..gives you something to bring to the Diamond event on ships without a CL..:p

being born in the south, I was taught to accept any gift graciously and thank the giver, no matter what. A gift is just that, a gift. If I receive any gift I cannot use, I give it away, donate to silent auctions, etc. I would never complain about it nor do anything to hurt the feelings of the giver.

In RCCL's case, they just cannot win in a case like this. Can't please everyone. I'm sure there are those making decisions that would like to do away it all together for this very reason! :eek:

Dear RCCL

(I hope you are reading this, i have informed your customer relations department as well).

On my recent cruise, Navigator of the Sea, the diamond members had a good laugh about the silly gift that is delivered to our state room as a gift.

The concensus was please do not give it to us we simply all placed it in the bin!!!

Bring back the hats, bags, etc or please do not waste your money on that basket.

RCCL your intentions are honourable by offering a gift, please do not be offended but i simply cannot use it.

Regards

Sorry to read this op.

I know what you mean.

So that means we are not missing anything right??