Roll Calls

Bridge Maven

We make good use of the roll calls for organizing private tours, sharing transfers and exchanging information. We have made some good friends through the roll calls but just as many good friends simply from cruising.

We participate in many of the gatherings just to put faces to names but I've made a couple of observations:

If there are 100 people on a roll call, maybe 20 will show up at a meet and greet.

Whoever posts the most often, shows up the least often.

I must be lucky as all of the roll calls I have been on have resulted in positive experiences; in fact we met our best cursing buddies at one of the meet and greets. But would I make a decision whether to book or not based on a roll call - no. Nor would I ever cancel a cruise because of one.

I must be lucky as all of the roll calls I have been on have resulted in positive experiences; in fact we met our best cursing buddies at one of the meet and greets. But would I make a decision whether to book or not based on a roll call - no. Nor would I ever cancel a cruise because of one.

I've got a few cursing buddies, but I didn't meet them on a cruise. ;)

I've got a few cursing buddies, but I didn't meet them on a cruise. ;)

Too hilarious! I met my cursing buddies at Catholic School...we were very inventive......:cool:

Seriously, I just joined CC a couple of weeks ago, and my Roll Call seems to be a pleasant bunch of folks. No hassle to add my room number, with the luxury to participate as much or as little as I want. It'll be interesting to be able to board the ship and "know" some passengers(other than traveling companions) in advance, this is a new experience for me.

Hi,:) there is nothing showing up under your post so your signature

is clear;)

Hi Lois

You are a great example of the type of person we enjoy meeting in person on a roll call... having said that, do you remember that roll call thread itself? :rolleyes::eek:

Hi Lois

You are a great example of the type of person we enjoy meeting in person on a roll call... having said that, do you remeber that roll call thread itself? :rolleyes::eek:

What roll call?:confused: I was just answering the poster about what was showing

up in their signature.......

Oh, thanks though for the compliment:) we sailed on SUMMIT........

What roll call?:confused: I was just answering the poster about what was showing

up in their signature.......

Oh, thanks though for the compliment:) we sailed on SUMMIT........

Sorry, I was laughing at the bizarre roll call for the Summit cruise we met you on.... :D

Sorry, I was laughing at the bizarre roll call for the Summit cruise we met you on.... :D

I have sailed Summit 4 times...which one? My most recent one was

for the Feb 2011 Superbowl.....you asked if I remember....I guess

not:eek: That was a fun roll call:)...prior to that I sailed her in

May 2010 and Jan 2010.

I have sailed Summit 4 times...which one? My most recent one was

for the Feb 2011 Superbowl.....you asked if I remember....I guess

not:eek: That was a fun roll call:)...prior to that I sailed her in

May 2010 and Jan 2010.

AAA Bermuda May 2010 :p

AAA Bermuda May 2010 :p

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh my....I forgot about that:eek:....omg..now I

really remember...........:rolleyes:

The cruise was fantastic though:D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh my....I forgot about that:eek:....omg..now I

really remember...........:rolleyes:

The cruise was fantastic though:D

The cruise was fantastic... the roll call the weirdest one I have ever even heard about.

Fast fact, Jersey is another for New Jersey a state in the United States. They are located just south of New York City and to the Northeast of Delaware :eek::D

21exgsg.jpg

Too funny! I have a few cursing buddies as well, several show up when we're playing Sequence on a ship. I wish I could think of a clever riff on this like the poat riff.

Funny you should ask about this... I went looking for my roll call for an upcoming cruise. Last time I joined one, it ended up being very helpful for sharing excursion and transportation expenses. After I found the roll call, I decided to stay as far away from it as I can. Prior to posting this reply, I tried to go in and delete my upcoming cruise from my signature. I don't want to offend the people on the roll call from my cruise by posting this reply, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it is gone or I may have some people very angry with me.

My roll call is extremely long. It started with a bunch of people who met each other on a prior cruise (maybe more than one?). They gave their group a little name... I couldn't believe the silly banter back and forth. Most of the posts are irrelevant to the cruise and much of it is personal in nature and as a result it is very, very long. It's so long that it turns me off reading it to find if how many others outside their group have joined. I did see a couple of outsiders joining in the first few pages, but I honestly couldn't bear to read any more of the nonsense. There is no way I want to join and have to read through all of it just to find a few tidbits of information that may be useful. I wish that those on the roll call would keep the roll call to cruise-related content and leave the silly stuff to personal emails.

I really hope that the upcoming cruise deleted successfully from my signature so as not to offend those on my roll call. I really don't mean to embarrass them. I just wish it had been left so as to be more welcoming and useful for others. I won't cancel my cruise because of it, but I'll certainly steer clear of the roll call.

Hi, I joined a roll call that was very active, people had sailed together, and there was pages of info. I believe most of them are part of a few groups that have sailed together before. I just said hello and treated the previous pages as the past. I have to say everyone was very welcoming and I participate as much as I want. If I have a question I just ask and they have provided helpful advice. They have organized group tours and I am participating in some of them. Yeah, they talk about other things besides the cruise, but it doesn't bother me.

I would say to others...as it is unlikely you will join that roll call now. If the roll call you are joining is long just jump in from the last post. If you have questions just ask, maybe comment on not wanting to read through so many pages.

This a very timely thread for me we are booked on a''wine'' cruise in Oct. we like to drink a little wine but we booked for the ports. When I first went to the roll call all the people were all about wine trips, talk, tasteings and so forth. I thought maybe we made a mistake booking this cruise , we are pretty good at doing our own thing but it did make second guess myself. Lately more people have come onboard who are also just about the ports so it made me think that there will be more'' not just wine people.''

On another I was arranging a pre-cruise dinner and not only was one guy enthusiastic about the dinner, he even suggested the restaurant as he knew it very well and was very keen to dine there again. I heeded his advice, booked for the group. Not only did he not turn up for the dinner, he was NOT ON THE CRUISE.

He probably owned the restaurant. :D

Funny you should ask about this... I went looking for my roll call for an upcoming cruise. Last time I joined one, it ended up being very helpful for sharing excursion and transportation expenses. After I found the roll call, I decided to stay as far away from it as I can. Prior to posting this reply, I tried to go in and delete my upcoming cruise from my signature. I don't want to offend the people on the roll call from my cruise by posting this reply, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it is gone or I may have some people very angry with me.

My roll call is extremely long. It started with a bunch of people who met each other on a prior cruise (maybe more than one?). They gave their group a little name... I couldn't believe the silly banter back and forth. Most of the posts are irrelevant to the cruise and much of it is personal in nature and as a result it is very, very long. It's so long that it turns me off reading it to find if how many others outside their group have joined. I did see a couple of outsiders joining in the first few pages, but I honestly couldn't bear to read any more of the nonsense. There is no way I want to join and have to read through all of it just to find a few tidbits of information that may be useful. I wish that those on the roll call would keep the roll call to cruise-related content and leave the silly stuff to personal emails.

I really hope that the upcoming cruise deleted successfully from my signature so as not to offend those on my roll call. I really don't mean to embarrass them. I just wish it had been left so as to be more welcoming and useful for others. I won't cancel my cruise because of it, but I'll certainly steer clear of the roll call.

I have to wonder if we are on the same cruise? I went to find the RC and decided to not join in for the exact reasons you stated.

Never thought about it to be honest. I didn't even know there was Roll Call until this time around (second cruise ever).

I will say that my guy and I usually go with the Do-what-we-want mentality... if we meet some awesome folks, great, if we don't, too bad. We choose to cruise for the ease of travel and the ports.

So far, my roll call seems pretty laid back... with a few people in my age range (late 20's), so am eager to see how that changes things (my first cruise was all 55+).

We participated in a roll call for the first time on a recent Panama Canal cruise. I thought it was great! We had over 100 people at the meet and greet and did a very successful cabin crawl and slot pull with 50-60 people at each. Also did a special lunch at the end of the cruise with great attendance. Met some very nice people. We had everyone's cabin number but the information wasn't abused in any way.

I wouldn't change a cruise because of a roll call. We are on an Alaska cruise in August with a virtually non-existent roll call. That's okay with us, we'll meet people in other ways.

Archived