Your Opinions on Mediterranean cruises

ApriKot

Hi Gang,

Long time lurker, haven't posted a lot, but I have a question or two!

My family and I are looking at doing a Mediterranean or Greece/Turkey cruise next year. I'm sure some of you have great advice!

1.) When is the best time to sail? My family is not really very partial to super hot or humid weather. We're thinking Late April/May or September/October. Does anyone know what the weather is like?

2.) Where are some of the best places to go, specifically in the Greek isles? I've heard Ephesus is absolutely amazing.

You're opinions and shared experiences are welcomed - I look forward to hearing from everyone. =]

Hi Gang,

My family and I are looking at doing a Mediterranean or Greece/Turkey cruise next year. I'm sure some of you have great advice!

1.) When is the best time to sail? My family is not really very partial to super hot or humid weather. We're thinking Late April/May or September/October. Does anyone know what the weather is like?

2.) Where are some of the best places to go, specifically in the Greek isles? I've heard Ephesus is absolutely amazing.

You're opinions and shared experiences are welcomed - I look forward to hearing from everyone. =]

Just back from the Equinox 11 night cruise, going to Greece and to Turkey. May is a perfect time to go. It was warm to hot in all of our ports. July and August would be uncomfortable, and that is why we didn't book then. Ephesus was crowded and hot in May - would hate to see what it's like in the full summer!

If you go to Kusadasi or Izmir, you must go to Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary.

Santorini is great, and so was Mykonos.

I don't even want to go to the Caribbean anymore - to me, boring now - the history and culture of Europe is fascinating! :)

Our first cruise was a 7 night from Venice [Dubrovnik, Kusadasi, Santorini, Corfu] in Nov. 2007. The weather was fine for the type of things we did [seeing sights, museums, etc.] We picked November for some technical reasons related to using ff points to fly. If I had it to do over, I would probably try to get there in October at the latest because some of the attractions were starting to close for the season. We liked it so much we kept cruising. We are not beach people, so this was our ideal type of cruise. Sail away from Venice at twilight is hard to beat.

By the way, we sailed on Splendour and loved it. Highly recommend the ship.

We cruised the Mediterranean in May this year and last and loved the weather! The prices are lower in May, too, because most Europeans don't take their vacations until later in the summer.

We prefer cruises that sail out of Civitavecchia (Rome) so you can take a few days before or after the cruise to explore the city. Rome is 2 hours from the port, so you don't have enough time to enjoy the city if you just stop there for one day during a cruise.

We did a Med cruise this past year that departed on the 10th of September. It was unbelievably hot ( in the 90's) and humid all 10 days no matter where we went. Everyone kept saying it was unusual for it to be that hot but it was for our cruise. If I had to do it again I think I would try for the beginning of October.

Ddid an 11 day cruise in early Sept. It was hot, never saw a cloud in the sky and the Med was like glass.

Kusadasi was the most amazing port. Ephesus was everthing they say it is. Be sure to also tour the Terrace houses, there are under roofs and in the shade. Did a private tour in morning. Then had the rest of the day to explore Kusadasi. I so loved it I want to do a cruise with more Turkish ports out of Istanbul in 2013.

Athens is all about the Acropolis. Again we were almost to the top by 10am and down by 1:00 when it was really hot.

My favorite island was Mykonos. Did it on our own, lovely sidestreets, shops, outdoor cafes, lots of small chapels, and the windmills.

Rhodes was also a great place to explore. But read up about the crusaders before you go. Santorini caldera was amazing, but the town was overun by cruisers. Can't really spread out there in the town.

Loved Sicily, went to Tandori on a tour. Fascinating history, roman ruins, and a wonderous views at the cliff edge.

If you can go in May or early Ocober the weather will be cooler and maybe less tourists overall.

Before I left I read "the Middle Sea: a History of the Mediterranean" by John Julius Norwich to get a overview of all the areas and the centuries of different civilizations that have left their mark in all the countries of today.

You will have a great cruise to a really historic and beautiful part of the world.

Two years ago we did a Med cruise at the end of Apr. I thought it was perfect. It was cool in the mornings, high 50s, then around 65-70 during the day. The coldest port was Istanbul, about 45 in the morning, but by noon 65. Athens was the warmest day at 78.

I hate the heat! It makes me very grumpy so I do everything I can to keep away.

Why I still live in Florida is a mystery to me....

Hi Gang,

It's a great cruise.

If you can find one with Istanbul and Kusadasi (ephesus) that is a plus.

Favorite times for us are April and late September/early October. We find that the weather is much milder, far less humid and many of the ports are far less crowded than in the summer time.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The temperature will vary. You may want to check one of the online weather sites for average daily highs and lows as you plan.

We will be on three 12 night cruises on the Crown Princess in the Eastern Med in October and early November. Just scanning the average daily highs, in October, it will be about 70 in most of our ports, with low 80's i Alexandria. In November, highs are in the 60's.

Loved Sicily, went to Tandori on a tour. Fascinating history, roman ruins, and a wonderous views at the cliff edge.

If you can go in May or early Ocober the weather will be cooler and maybe less tourists overall.

Before I left I read "the Middle Sea: a History of the Mediterranean" by John Julius Norwich to get a overview of all the areas and the centuries of different civilizations that have left their mark in all the countries of today.

The Middle Sea is a great book as an introduction to the history of the entire Med.

I'm curious about Sicily -- did you mean Taormina? I'm really into Roman ruins and have been researching various areas of Sicily (went last year and going again this year) but Tandori is not ringing a bell.

We did a Med cruise this spring that started April 29 and ended May 11. We had perfect weather every day. The hottest day was Ephesus, probably around 85; it was bearable.

Athens was also warm, but not too bad. The other days were in the 70's. The sea was almost like glass the whole trip--top waves were 2-3 feet one day.

Of course, weather varies, so you could hit much hotter or much cooler days. Every day was sunny for us. Crowds were not too bad, but still lots of people in most ports.

We have been in Rome at the end of April when it was horribly hot; I can't imagine what it must be like in summer. I don't think I'd do a Mediterranean cruise during the hottest, most crowded months.

To us, Venice is a must. We did a cruise in early May that started in Venice and ended in Barcelona. My criteria was that it had to overnite in Venice and Istanbul, and the only ship doing that was HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. We had wonderful, mild weather except for one day of rain. Going back next year because we didn't do all we wanted to in Venice. EM

We've been to the Mediterranean 3 times, the first in June, then again in September and early October. All 3 trips were great because we were not in the throes of summer heat.

To echo some of the posts, Ephesus is a must - read up on it first, so you will have an idea what is there and it will be more meaningful to you. The Library of Celsus, and the Terrace Houses are memories that will remain with us forever.

Our favourite island is Santorini; it is a beautiful small island that has great food, nice little open air bars and friendly people.

Wherever you go, whenever you go, do enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Spring or fall are wonderful times weather wise in the Mediterranean. We usually go in April/May or October.

Any where in the Mediterranean is fantastic. You can't go wrong on any itinerary.

We were in the Med. this year from April 23rd - May 13th. The weather in mid-May was already heating up. We have also been to this area in early October and enjoyed great weather.

I don't think there is a bad port in that part of the world. Istanbul is a personal favorite -- very clean, safe and tons of things to do. Ships usually dock near a tram -- very modern and inexpensive -- that takes you up the hill to the Blue Mosque and many of the spots that you read about that are "must sees". I believe it also goes by the Grand Bazaar -- a really fun place to walk around -- eat and shop.

We visited the Terrace Houses in Ephesus this time and enjoyed them very much -- just as good as people say they are. Also some good Turkish Baths in Kusadasi -- less touristy and less pricey than in Istanbul.

Santorini is gorgeous but can be impossibly crowded. The farther away you are from summer, the better the chances that they will be fewer ships tendered there. When you are there, you must visit the town of Oia -- best in the morning before it gets crowded. Most of the photographs you see on travel magazines of Greece were taken in Oia. Stunning views!

Cruisemom42,

"The Middle Sea is a great book as an introduction to the history of the entire Med.

I'm curious about Sicily -- did you mean Taormina? I'm really into Roman ruins and have been researching various areas of Sicily (went last year and going again this year) but Tandori is not ringing a bell."

Sorry about the spelling.:eek: No wonder you never heard of it.:)

It is Tindari . We did wonderful ship tour, with a great guide. We had

16 people on the tour. Not all ship tours are large.

Visited the church of the Black Madonna, great story how that statue got there.

Then to the greek/roman archaeological site nearby within walking distance. It is high on the hill facing the sea . It has baths,floor mosaics, theatre .It has a small museum too. We were the only group there along with about four other people.

Finally ,we could see the sandbar at the edge of the Tyrrhenian Sea. Called the "linguetta di sabbia" it is creats a series of lagoons depending on the tides, storms etc. Very cool.

Enjoy your trip back to Sicily. I learned so much about ancient Sicilian history. I love the icon of Sicily: Medussa head with the three legs.I bought one in clay and it hangs on my wall at home.

Thank you everyone for your great responses. I'm really looking forward to our cruise... especially Athens and Ephesus and Santorini and Mykonos. Everyone's suggestions have been great. Seems like April/early May and late September/October might be the best time to go...

Where would I be without you guys?

Your time choices are good for both avoiding crowds and getting better deals. Of course selection will be more limited as well as that isn't peak time, but beignning/end.

IMHO pick your cruise/line/ship based on the ports you want. You might want to start here and see what ports/attractions are your fancy and then carefully research the tours as they can be pricey once you figure all that in.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/

You are correct Ephesus out of Kusadasi was a surprise hit for all of us on our trip years ago.

Hi Gang,

The majority of our holidays have always been in the Med, and we've learnt through long experience not to go between June and mid Sept- unless you're having a beach holiday, and need a warm sea. Now, we go on more cruises than land based holidays, and still choose those times.

Mid October is a little tricky, as the autumn equinox has passed, and the weather can be changeable- but we always took a land based holiday in the 3rd week of October (school half term), and had more pleasant days than not.

Things do start to close down after that week, and many staff return to their mainland homes.

Many of the Greek Isles are far enough south to remain pleasant for longer than the north of Italy or Spain, obviously.

Ships will begin travelling to the Caribbean in Oct for the winter season- you might even be able to find a Med cruise with a transatlantic crossing back across the pond!;)

Jo.

Do not discount November (except for possible discount prices!) Our November cruise in the eastern and southern Mediterranean had not a day of rain, and lovely warm, but not hot, temperatures -- well Egypt was hot.

It was fantastic to wander around Ephesus and walk up to the Acropolis with no crowds or heat.

Archived