why does media always promote suites?

Cruise Arizona

I watched the Reflection video that our host linked up the other day and I noticed right away that the marketing people at Celebrity were really playing up the new features of the suites.

On tv when ever a travel show talks about a new ship they show the suites.

In promotional material, they often show suites.

So I asked outloud to my husband "why do they play up the suites so much when there is such a limited number of them available on a ship?"

His answer was that suites are big money makers and almost always sell out, usually early.

Any other insights? It seems kind of like sort of, and I don't mean this in a negative way, a bait and switch tactic, get a cruiser all excited about a ship because of the features of the suite and then when they see the price, sell them a std. cabin?

I'd much rather see the features of the actual cabins that most people would be able to afford and book.

I watched the Reflection video that our host linked up the other day and I noticed right away that the marketing people at Celebrity were really playing up the new features of the suites.

On tv when ever a travel show talks about a new ship they show the suites.

In promotional material, they often show suites.

So I asked outloud to my husband "why do they play up the suites so much when there is such a limited number of them available on a ship?"

His answer was that suites are big money makers and almost always sell out, usually early.

Any other insights? It seems kind of like sort of, and I don't mean this in a negative way, a bait and switch tactic, get a cruiser all excited about a ship because of the features of the suite and then when they see the price, sell them a std. cabin?

I'd much rather see the features of the actual cabins that most people would be able to afford and book.

I think they simply want to show the best parts of the ship....

It's the same reason that the people they show in cruise (and other) ads are uber slim, attractive models, not 'real' people. They are trying to sell the cruise line or ship and want everything to look perfect.

Showing a huge, roomy suite is a much better selling feature than a cramped inside room.

It's like ads for plus-sized clothing with the models topping out at a size 8. It's all about image.

There has been a lot of curiosity about the new "Reflection Suites" and as they are a brand new category (along with the new Aqua Spa Suites) I was really glad to get a glimpse of what was to come. They look beautiful!! Probably the only time we would be able to set foot in one would be on a CC cabin crawl though:D

It's the first rule of marketing. Show something better than the average, which either helps to sell the part of the product range a little more downmarket or else gives you the chance to sell up to something a little better than the punter would otherwise had bought.

Don't want to spend the money on a suite, sir? Why not swap that pokey inside cabin in the bowels of the ship for a nice balcony instead? You won't have the piano in your cabin, but look how much better it is with windows and some outdoor furniture.

Just like estate agent brochures, the suites are never quite as good or big as they look; but they are nevertheless very impressive spaces if you've been accustomed to something smaller and darker. The show home is always bigger and very expensively appointed but they sell a lot more run of the mill homes once you are suckered in.

All of the above plus it is the only chance most of us will ever have of seeing the inside of one.

Very few TV shows are about some dirt poor family. The parents are always professionals and their monetary issues are only there when needed for comedy.

There were only few shows that I know of where the families were not in the upper middle class: The Honeymooners, Andy Griffin Show, Life of Riley, Real McCoys, Little House to name a few but they were very popular shows and still attract viewers.

It is the same with AI's. They show you their best suite and show the restaurants and a perfect beach with only two or three or four people on it. Have you been to some AIs, their beaches can be crowed. Atlantis comes to mind. They advertise that you have access to the water slides but when cruise ships are in during the day the line ups are long.

When was the last time you have seen an advertisement for an airline that shows Economy Class?

Some of the Middle East carriers springvto mind....

"Over the Himalayas. The coolness of crisp cotton sheets. The aroma of freshly brewed single estate coffee. Golden, flaky croissants. Eggs from happy chicken, cooked to your prefference..."

Well, at least for a dozen or so lucky ones at the pointy end of the plane.

Stale fa...ts, BO, static, synthetic blankets, luke warm coffee and a cold, dry bread roll for the masses.

:o

When was the last time you have seen an advertisement for an airline that shows Economy Class?

Some of the Middle East carriers springvto mind....

"Over the Himalayas. The coolness of crisp cotton sheets. The aroma of freshly brewed single estate coffee. Golden, flaky croissants. Eggs from happy chicken, cooked to your prefference..."

Well, at least for a dozen or so lucky ones at the pointy end of the plane.

Stale fa...ts, BO, static, synthetic blankets, luke warm coffee and a cold, dry bread roll for the masses.

:o

Hmmm...I never thought that a chicken could be unhappy...

It's the same reason that the people they show in cruise (and other) ads are uber slim, attractive models, not 'real' people. They are trying to sell the cruise line or ship and want everything to look perfect.

Showing a huge, roomy suite is a much better selling feature than a cramped inside room.

It's like ads for plus-sized clothing with the models topping out at a size 8. It's all about image.

LOL - exactly. I often look at the X ads and think "where were these people on my cruise." Not at the buffet that's for sure.

I've noticed that the brochure ads (for all cruise lines) show young attractive people out on an oversized balcony with upgraded furniture. I've always thought it was a bit misleading for first time cruisers who probably wonder why their balcony is so much smaller than the one in the picture and wonder where the nice teak furniture is.

This is a little off the subject but since the new Celeberity Suites were brought up.....We booked the newly added Signature Suite on Reflection and I after studying the floor plan I realized that it didn't match the description given by Celeberity. It doesn't have a cantelevor (sp?) shower and a seaview bathroom as it states. After calling Celeberity I was told that they had made a mistake and copied the same description of the Reflection suite to the Signature suite. I hope no one else books this suite thinking they will receive these perks and then when they arrive they are not there.:(

I've noticed that the brochure ads (for all cruise lines) show young attractive people out on an oversized balcony with upgraded furniture. I've always thought it was a bit misleading for first time cruisers who probably wonder why their balcony is so much smaller than the one in the picture and wonder where the nice teak furniture is.

Back in the day when my Dad used to go to a travel agent and book a cruise for the family, circa 1979, he would bring home the brochure for the ship and it would always have a picture of atleast the largest regular cabin if not suite. Dad had always booked a low level inside because that was all we could afford. He'd show us the brochure and the lovely pictures of the ship and then caution us before we got too excited: "Now remember that our cabin is going to look nothing like the one in the picture." An he was right, there was one ship, maybe the Boheme, where our room was like a pullman train compartment. Great cruise, even if our cabin was nearly steerage.

The ads that Carmival would show has a mother talking about how her husband was snorkeling, the kids were hang gliding, she was at a spa getting a massage and then showing them enjoying some exotic drink and dining in a alternative restuarant not sure if it was exactly what I wrote but you can get the idea. They never mentioned that all of that stuff was at a extra cost, to those that didn't know any better it was implied and made to deceive that it was included.

Archived