VEENDAM Lenai Staterooms

CRUISINGATORS

My husband and I are talking about taking a cruise on Holland America for the first time. The ship will be the Veendam and I noticed that the Lenai staterooms walk out directly onto the Promenade. When I saw this I wasn't sure that I was seeing right. ALL the other cruiselines that we have been on had a veranda that was our own. The thought of opening your slider as your husband or wife just walked out of the shower and someone happened to be walking by and was looking into your room doesn't sound too appealing to me. I know that the sliders are mirrored so no one can look in, but when you first open it anyone can see straight into the stateroom. I know when we are pulling into a port early in the morning we just throw something on and sit and watch us dock. So if I could get some feedback as to anyone who has been on this ship and in a Lenai stateroom please let me know how it was. Margot

My husband and I are talking about taking a cruise on Holland America for the first time. The ship will be the Veendam and I noticed that the Lenai staterooms walk out directly onto the Promenade. When I saw this I wasn't sure that I was seeing right. ALL the other cruiselines that we have been on had a veranda that was our own. The thought of opening your slider as your husband or wife just walked out of the shower and someone happened to be walking by and was looking into your room doesn't sound too appealing to me. I know that the sliders are mirrored so no one can look in, but when you first open it anyone can see straight into the stateroom. I know when we are pulling into a port early in the morning we just throw something on and sit and watch us dock. So if I could get some feedback as to anyone who has been on this ship and in a Lenai stateroom please let me know how it was. Margot

The lanai's do open onto the Lower Promenade Deck...a very busy deck with walkers, readers, etc. It's also what DH and I call a "working deck". The lifeboats are repaired there; lowered into the water from that location, etc. If you want privacy, you'd be better off booking a verandah stateroom or suite.

The Lanai cabins also have a door to the hallway. So if you are not yet dressed (or whatever) your cabin mate can leave the cabin by this door. Although there are of course no guarantees that someone won't be strolling down the hallway at that particular moment.

But private veranda cabins are also available so if this is a concern I would go with one of them.

I have been on Veendam, but that was before they did the remodel that created the Lanai cabins. From what I've read here on Cruise Critic, those cabins get mixed reviews. Some people are willing to sacrifice a little privacy for the privilege of reserved chairs on, and easy access to, an outdoor deck that wraps all the way around the ship. Others have much the same reaction you do.

There ARE private verandas on Veendam, as on all HAL ships. The newer, larger HAL ships have more of the smaller, more affordable veranda cabins; Veendam and the other "R" and "S" class ships don't have as many, so they tend to be pricier. That may be why HAL decided to experiment with the Lanai concept, so as to retrofit the older ships with something in between an ocean view cabin and a veranda cabin.

I do highly recommend HAL. I would encourage you to try it - in a balcony cabin if it fits within your budget, or in an ocean view if you are really put off by the Lanai class. But whatever you do, enjoy your cruise!

Check the location and clothing status of your spouse before opening the door. Most people walking by are intent on walking or speaking with someone, or looking at the ocean.

The Lanai cabins were converted from ocean view cabins. They provide a way for passengers to book a room with a door to the outside for less than the price of a verandah cabin.

There is a curtain that pulls across at the end of the little hallway, where the main part of the room opens up.

If you want to go out the lanai door while someone could possibly come out of the bath, pull the curtain first. Instant privacy.

We also had a lanai cabin last year and much preferred it over a balcony cabin. There was actually very minimal "pedestrian traffic" and I sat out there most of an afternoon and maybe 6-8 people came by. The deck is large, and it felt way more spacious than a balcony and the view much, much better. The view wasn't blocked off by the balcony partitions. What was nice, too, was that if you wished, you could leave your cabin for other parts of the ship via the lanai door, rather than the door to the hallway. I would book a lanai again over a balcony.

I recently had a lanai on the Veendam, and aside from the fact that they were painting the lower promenade deck, I really liked it. No one can really see in during the day. It was a good way to have easy access to the walk around deck.

We also had a lanai cabin last year and much preferred it over a balcony cabin. There was actually very minimal "pedestrian traffic" and I sat out there most of an afternoon and maybe 6-8 people came by. The deck is large, and it felt way more spacious than a balcony and the view much, much better. The view wasn't blocked off by the balcony partitions. What was nice, too, was that if you wished, you could leave your cabin for other parts of the ship via the lanai door, rather than the door to the hallway. I would book a lanai again over a balcony.

We feel the same way..We had a lanai on the Veendam to Bermuda several years ago & would book another Lanai in a minute..Wish more of the HAL ships could have Lanai's..

Cheers...Betty

Archived