Pinnacle Grill with a 5 year old

elsie60

We are experienced HAL Cruisers and will be cruising to Alaska for the first time this summer. We always enjoy the Pinnacle Grill but I don't remember ever seeing any children. My son, his wife and 5 year old daughter are joining us this cruise for the first time. We have taken her to many nice restaurants and she eats a wide variety of food and has excellent table manners. Does anyone have any experience with this? We are so happy to have them with us and want them to enjoy the PG with us for at least one dinner.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Lori

I haven't seen many children, however, on one Westerdam cruise there was a darling little girl in the Pinnacle. She was well behaved and a most welcomed patron.

The servers loved her. Her parents and near-by diners loved her. It was her night.

Need I repeat? This was one quiet, well mannered little girl.

Hope your dinner goes as well.

I'll be the first to go down in flames: I'm sure you truly believe your granddaughter has impeccable manners and never would cause a scene in a restaurant. But if you're asking, you already have an inkling that the PG is inappropriate for a 5 year old.

I would suggest you look into the HAL program for kids in the evening where she could go and be entertained, and all the adults in your party can enjoy a pleasant dinner. Not to mention all the other diners in the PG.

My only question would be is there a kid's menu for the pinnacle? I can't remember the adult's menu. In my memory it's heavy on steaks, which doesn't seem like kid food. But there is the lobster mac and cheese.

I have no problem with little kids in a restaurant, as long as they're well behaved. We used to eat out with friends when their kids were little, as young as 3 and 6. I remember seeing the frowns and eye rolls from other diners as we walked in. But those kids knew how to behave themselves in a restaurant, and we always had a lovely time and nobody was disturbed. I think it's a good experience for kids to be exposed to "proper" dining.

You might talk to the maitre d' at Pinnacle in advance and ask for a table away from other diners, just in case she gets fidgety during a long meal.

While I wouldn't do it myself, I would have no problems with a well behaved child at someone else's table.

Just please try to remember most people don't think our children and grandchildren are as adorable as we do. A non stop chatter box (my grandson) while well behaved would drive me up the wall if he were not mine. ;)

It is definitely a longer dinner, many times running 2-2.5 hours, but some children are self entertained and enjoy it.

My boys were well into their teens before they really appreciated the Pinnacle. Prior to that they got itchy to go to Club HAL well before the main course was served.

I am sure there are foods that she would enjoy, the lobster mac and cheese or hamburger comes to mind, and wavy creme brulees' are made for the kid in all of us.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you all for your input. I think we will plan on taking her unless she would prefer a Club HAL program for the evening if they have one. I will definitely have a "Plan B" if she isn't behaving (Room Service). We took her to a 4 star restaurant in Seattle last year and to a very nice Japanese/Korean restaurant here a few weeks ago and she did just fine. BTW we are the first to be offended by ill-behaved children so we will know when to make the call. Her father is a chef so she has quite the pallet. Lobster Mac and Cheese would be good but she would love the shrimp scampi as well. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this or would be totally offended by a well behaved child.

elsie60, since you're an experienced cruiser, you've probably already thought of this. Take advantage of the opportunity to get a family portrait done. When your granddaughter is older, she'll appreciate having a keepsake like that.

Thank you! I am planning on it though my son will be the one to protest this:p

We had several families with young children on our last cruse to Alaska eating in the Pinnacle. They all did great and were well behaved. I'm not sure if there is a children's menu or not. They do have hamburgers and french fries, but the hamburgers are huge (but delicious).

Passengers of any age can be welcomed company, just as they can be obtrusive and annoying. For example a 50 year old with a loud voice lacks the charm of a 5 year old with a modulated voice, and vice versa. Enjoy your dinner in the Pinnacle Grill with your grandaughter, and good for you and her parents for encouraging the joys of fine dining. Best wishes, -S.

Thank you all for your input. I think we will plan on taking her unless she would prefer a Club HAL program for the evening if they have one. I will definitely have a "Plan B" if she isn't behaving (Room Service). We took her to a 4 star restaurant in Seattle last year and to a very nice Japanese/Korean restaurant here a few weeks ago and she did just fine. BTW we are the first to be offended by ill-behaved children so we will know when to make the call. Her father is a chef so she has quite the pallet. Lobster Mac and Cheese would be good but she would love the shrimp scampi as well. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this or would be totally offended by a well behaved child.

If someone is offended by a well behaved child in the Pinnacle, they should order room service! :rolleyes: :D

Have a fabulous cruise, so wonderful to be able to do it as a family! :D

I was recently eating lunch in a tavern in Williamsburg, VA. The dining rooms are small, with maybe 10 tables in each one. There was an adorable little girl sitting with her mother and grandmother behind us. She was quiet and polite, and you wouldn't have known she was there if you didn't look. Next to us was a loudmouthed, obnoxious woman in her 30's, who basically ruined everyone else's lunch with her loud voice and behavior. I later went to the little girl's mother, and complimented her on her daughter, and told her I wished the adults in the room could be as well-behaved. It sounds like your granddaughter is much like that well-mannered little girl...I hope you all have a wonderful time at the PG and on the cruise!!!

I'll be the first to go down in flames: I'm sure you truly believe your granddaughter has impeccable manners and never would cause a scene in a restaurant. But if you're asking, you already have an inkling that the PG is inappropriate for a 5 year old.

I would suggest you look into the HAL program for kids in the evening where she could go and be entertained, and all the adults in your party can enjoy a pleasant dinner. Not to mention all the other diners in the PG.

I looked it up on HAL's website and children are welcome in Pinnacle and under age 12 dine for free.

"View a selection of samples from the Pinnacle Grill menu

For this exquisite sophisticated dining experience, guests pay a modest surcharge. Adults may dine for US$25.00 per person or lunch for US$10.00. Children under 12 dine free of charge. A rate of 50% applies for children between 13 years and under 18 years of age.The Pinnacle Grill is available by reservation only for both lunch and dinner. Dinner reservations may be pre-booked and we recommend making your pre-confirmation reservations online or with Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 as soon as possible after booking. Upon embarkation you will be asked to reconfirm the exact time and date directly with The Pinnacle Grill. Lunch reservations may only be made on board."

My friends' daugher started cruising when she was 5 and she ate in the Pinnacle Grill. She absolutely loved it and she was a dream to take:D:D

By all means take her to the PG and enjoy your dinner:D Sounds like you are all set with plan B - enjoy:):)

I think the answer to your question depends on the individual child. It sounds like your granddaughter will be fine. I have two 6 year old grandsons. One would be very well behaved and the other would have a really hard time sitting quietly for so long. Have fun.

We took our 4YO granddaughter (along with her mother, father and 12 YO sister) to the PG twice during an Alaskan cruise. The secret is the iPhone she had to "entertain" her while waiting. But, as my DIL is Indonesian, there were lots of crew around to ooh and ah over her (and cater to her every whim).

And a loud AMEN to that.

I would welcome sitting next to a well-behaved child in a fine restaurant, far more than an ill-mannered adult. I have to wonder, with those who object so fiercely, how they learned to behave when out to dinner? Or did they?

<snip>quote]

I disagree with this..Many Grandparents truly know when their Grandchildren misbehave, do not have good manners, & should not be taken to a fine restaurant.. There are quite a few well behaved young children as there are young children who don't behave during a long dinner..

I would be the first to know if my Great Grand Children would be able to go with us to the Pinnacle..

We had them all here last weekend & I would take our 4 year old Great Grand daughter with us in a minute..She is exactly like her Mom (our oldest Granddaughter) was at that age.. Calm with wonderful manners & a delight to be with:):)..

However, we never would take our 3 year old Great Grandson with us, as he's a terror, only because his Mom (our younger Granddaughter) lets him get away with it! :eek: We love him to bits, as he's cute, but had to ask our Granddaughter more than once to keep him out of the kitchen while I was cooking & taking hot things out of the oven & off the stove..:eek::eek:

To the OP, If your Granddaughter is as well behaved as you say & has wonderful manners, we would not be in the least bit offended by having her with us in the Pinnacle..

However, I think that since the meal service is quite long, perhaps you might want to think about having an early reservation for your family only because a child of that age may become fidgety before the end of the meal.. And a good backup plan might be either lunch in the Pinnacle with her or even the HAL Children's program..

Hope you enjoy your cruise with them..They grow up fast enough!

Cheers...:)Betty

Thank you all for your input. I think we will plan on taking her unless she would prefer a Club HAL program for the evening if they have one.

I think you have the right idea. Assuming she will be well acquainted with Club HAL prior to that night, she should make the choice. I wouldn't just get to that night without being familiar with Club HAL and then give her the option because obviously she might not be comfy having not been before. But if she is used to the counselors and has made some little buddies, they have such fun evening events with snacks, crafts, and games, I know mine has a blast. My son is a gem, easy going, polite, eats anything but he would sooner in his words "take an arrow in the knee than eat dinner for 3 hours" regardless of the setting. And it is his vacation too. He has a lido dinner of whatever he wants and he is off to Club Hal to have pillow fights, make ice cream sundaes, play video games, and watch Shrek. Hubby and I get dressed up, have an evening cocktail, maybe dance, and have a delightful dinner just us two. Win Win. :D

And I do agree, a loud, obnoxious adult in the PG or anywhere for that matter is far more annoying to me than almost any child, irritable, sleepy, fidgety, talkative, or otherwise. As a parent I can make allowances for children especially away from home. Adults, not so much.

Archived