Difference in dress between Caribbean and European cruises

mgmigs

I've mostly done Caribbean type cruises in the past but soon will be taking my first European cruise to hit Spain, France, Italy and Croatia. It will be August so it will be very hot. How differently do the passengers on the European routes dress for day and evening.

Thanks in advance

Maria

I've mostly done Caribbean type cruises in the past but soon will be taking my first European cruise to hit Spain, France, Italy and Croatia. It will be August so it will be very hot. How differently do the passengers on the European routes dress for day and evening.

Thanks in advance

Maria

Maria, the temp will be about the same, perhaps a bit hotter in the Med.

There is not a lot of difference in the dress that people wear, except if you are going into a Cathedral in Europe, you must not wear shorts or expose shoulders. Some Cathedrals provide shawls for women to cover up.

There will be more Europeans on a Med cruise, but that doesn't really change the cruise that much. You may see more children on a Med cruise as well.

The biggest difference is that the ports will provide you will much history and culture to absorb. The Caribbean is good, but you cannot compare Barbados to Rome, FLorence, Venice or Athens.

If you have time, stay on land for a few days before or after your cruise, after all you are paying the airfare to get there.

There is not a lot of difference in the dress that people wear, except if you are going into a Cathedral in Europe, you must not wear shorts or expose shoulders. Some Cathedrals provide shawls for women to cover up.

Which I have never understood - I am not sure God would worry as to how you look & I do not recall Jesus wearing long trousers etc.

Crazy...

I found there is a difference in dress between the Caribbean cruise and European Cruise.

People in Europe tend to dress a little nicer. You don't see t-shirts much. A nice button down or a cute blouse during the day. They can actually be cooler (in temp) than a t-shirt.

Here is a thread I had in my notes from when I was planning my Med. cruisetour: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=751094

Hope this helps.

I think the advice above is right, there is a smarter feel. Formal nights are an opportunity to dress up.

Fewer people wear jeans etc.

Informal nights are still casual but some take the opportunity make it 'smart casual' but not all. The atmosphere is just as relaxed as in the Caribbean so we just wear what we feel comfortable with, taking note of the day's dress code.

Which I have never understood - I am not sure God would worry as to how you look & I do not recall Jesus wearing long trousers etc.

Crazy...

It is a cultural aspect of other countries when certain dress is required. I always find these things very interesting and don't want to disrespect someone's culture unnecessarily. I want to embrace it!:):)

I was interested to read the replies to this thread but as for me, there will be no sparkly gown and no tux on DH. Since most Med. sails are 11 nights or longer our limited luggage space is needed for more of the daytime wear. I will have a nice skirt and black pants that I will pair with a dressy top - DH will have the sports jacket that he wears on the plane, plus a dress shirt and tie; we are traveling with good friends so no random tablemates will have to be shamed or disgusted by sitting with us. Our past 3 Med. cruises have been on ships that have "smart casual wear" and no formal nights in the MDR - this dress code makes more sense to me in this day and age - I don't want to see men in "wife beaters' and shorts at dinner but I'm just not really a formal kind of gal either.

The Caribbean is beach and beach clothing is appropriate. Europe is sophisticated, cultural, beautiful old cities, cathedrals (lots), museums, history, and classy dress. It doesn't matter what God thinks, it is the people around you that have to look at you and wonder where your respect for others is. My pet peeve is seeing fellow American in shorts, halters, t-shirts, with breasts and bellies hanging out like they were on some beach. Not pretty and "ugly American" fits unfortunately. It doesn't take much to dress comfortably and nicely and modestly - neither would I wear beach clothes in an American city. Just my opinion.

I really saw little difference for day time tours. I did see more women wearing sundresses-but men were dressed pretty much the same. More people dress to code for dinner (unlike the Caribbean) which pleased me very much.

And contrary to what I had been told on the fashion board, Europeans do wear athletic shoes when touring the sites. I should know, as plenty of French and Spaniards were on our tours. As far as the locals, some would be dressed casual also wearing their athletic shoes, although others dressed up more-as they were not on holiday but it was a work day for them. I saw one poor young man in white long sleeved dress shirt and tie and briefcase in hand on the water bus in Venice. It was hot and he looked miserable. At least he was not wearing a suit jacket.

On the cruises we've taken in Europe, (on HAL), we found that Europeans dressed a bit more conservatively than us and did not dress as "formal" on those nights. We didn't see many tux or fancy long dresses, but folks looked very nice. We used to love getting greased up for formal nights! But it seems that people dress more casually these days in general. Cheers!

The Caribbean is beach and beach clothing is appropriate. Europe is sophisticated, cultural, beautiful old cities, cathedrals (lots), museums, history, and classy dress. It doesn't matter what God thinks, it is the people around you that have to look at you and wonder where your respect for others is. My pet peeve is seeing fellow American in shorts, halters, t-shirts, with breasts and bellies hanging out like they were on some beach. Not pretty and "ugly American" fits unfortunately. It doesn't take much to dress comfortably and nicely and modestly - neither would I wear beach clothes in an American city. Just my opinion.

Ditto. Totally agree!

I heartily agree - but must add that many Brits look just as bad. If we are visiting a European city, we wear 'town' clothes. Nice jeans and smart t-shirts are OK nowadays - although in the summer we tend towards white slacks and cool tops etc. But not 'beachy'!!

Amazing how many people think its clever to bring old, washed-out t-shirts to wear on the cruise and then dump!!

We enjoy dressing nicely on cruises - part of the holiday.:D:D Surely, if you are spending thousands on a cruise, a few quid on a couple of nice, clean t-shirts shouldn't be a problem!!

I can feel the flames already...........................hehehehe!!!

I heartily agree - but must add that many Brits look just as bad. If we are visiting a European city, we wear 'town' clothes. Nice jeans and smart t-shirts are OK nowadays - although in the summer we tend towards white slacks and cool tops etc. But not 'beachy'!!

Amazing how many people think its clever to bring old, washed-out t-shirts to wear on the cruise and then dump!!

We enjoy dressing nicely on cruises - part of the holiday.:D:D Surely, if you are spending thousands on a cruise, a few quid on a couple of nice, clean t-shirts shouldn't be a problem!!

I can feel the flames already...........................hehehehe!!!

I did not see any of that on my cruise from anyone. A few were in shorts, but they were at least what we called when I was a kid "Jamaica" length which is just above the knees. Most in shorts wore Bermuda length.

The only time I saw a girl in an halter top or midriff top and Daisy Dukes on the European continent(as others mentioned Brits can dress as sloppy as Americans) was in Bordeaux three years ago-it was a young french teen girl maybe 16? Her boyfriend had the baggy pants falling off "homeboy" style-LOL! I had to laugh-french teens dressed like sloppy american teens-LOL! I could have been at home at my local mall! and France is the fashion capitol of the world! That just told me teens are the same no matter what country they are from.

So what should we wear to a European city?...that we are TOURING!!!

Chanel suit and Louboutin shoes? So we can fit in with the locals?

From my various visits to European cities they dress pretty much the same as we do when they're not at work. Jeans, tee shirts, sandals. The older ladies wear those lovely shapeless cotton frocks and possibly even headscarves...

Strangely enough I don't feel the need to pretend to be a local when I'm on vacation - I dress for comfort, weather and activity involved. If that's shorts and a light shirt - I'll wear it. We toured Florence in a boiling hot August 3 years ago, and my then 14 year old daughter wore shorts and a halter top. When we went into the cathedrals she happily donned the paper robe they offered her. God was not offended. The locals didn't seem to be offended either.

I guess I don't pay too much attention to what other people are wearing. Others should try it.

i have been to Europe 9 times- leaving in a few days.. if warm westher sandels, skirts over shorts. more daytime make up on women.. men still in shorts. iagree not as casual as s america or carribean. you can tell if you pas workers by the way you dress.

churches in Europe always had a dress code as no bare shoulders. i always had a very light weight shawl to wear.. go to asia and you have the no short rule, no shoulders showing etc and it much hotter than europe. you just deal.

enjoy cruising

Have to agree with you DavidYYC. We travel to Europe and do land trips quite frequently. We are always amused by what some people say are the styles in Europe or give advice on what to wear.

Forget trying to look like a local. It is a complete waste of time. You will be spotted in seconds-notwithstanding your efforts to dress as the locals do.

Dress for comfort-especially footwear. And don't overpack to the extent that you cannot handle your own luggage. Time and time again we are amazed at the amount of luggage that people travel with-especially when we see them trying to get on and off trains or dragging their huge suitcases on cobbled streets.

We do not really care what others wear. We are too busy minding our own business and having a good time.

Archived