Best place for lunch on embarkation day

nancycoop1

whatever the menu consists of I'm hoping they won't revert to making it more difficult like they have done on some ships in the past. :eek:

The new folding maps that they give you at check-in say "you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's dining rooms."

So show up before the dining room closes at 1:30 PM and you can show them your invitation if there is any problem.

The new folding maps that they give you at check-in say "you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's dining rooms."

So show up before the dining room closes at 1:30 PM and you can show them your invitation if there is any problem.

Thanks...I did see it on the new maps which is easier than bringing a copy from their website or the Cruise Answer Book.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but on our most recent cruises having the smaller menu it's been no problem eating in the MDR for embarkation lunch...even on the Sapphire where it was a problem the previous time.

Thanks...I did see it on the new maps which is easier than bringing a copy from their website or the Cruise Answer Book.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but on our most recent cruises having the smaller menu it's been no problem eating in the MDR for embarkation lunch...even on the Sapphire where it was a problem the previous time.

I attributed it to a different Matridé (as I had issues in the past on the Sapphire also). It could be more of a fleet wide directive (including the new maps).

It is usually the dining room on deck 5 aft, but not always.

Have a great time in Copenhagen! One of my favorite cities!

If the ship is the Emerald, lunch is served in the DaVinci dining room,deck six,midships.

Well if we 'new to Princess' are turned away, I'll simply state that my 'friends' on cruise critic assured us we'd be allowed in to dine.

I'm pretty sure that on HAL they allowed only Mariners in.

Ruth

No Mariners on Princess. :p

Everyones welcome.

Well if we 'new to Princess' are turned away, I'll simply state that my 'friends' on cruise critic assured us we'd be allowed in to dine.

I'm pretty sure that on HAL they allowed only Mariners in.

Ruth

On my first and only HAL cruise, I did go to the dining room on the first day.

Everyone is allowed in the dining room on Princess on the first day.

We like to have a light lunch in the International Cafe on the ships that have one. Love the Chicken Salad!

I will second that! I love the dining room, but don't want to wait for service in the DR on the first day when the IC is quiet, quick and has great options.

I actually like going to the Horizon Buffet on embarkation day. I get my food and then head out the back doors of the buffet to the aft area. For some reason, being in this location on my first day just makes me feel I'm starting my cruise. I do tend to get on the ship as early as possible though so I haven't experienced problems with crowds in the buffet. I always fly into the port I'm sailing out of a day early as well. If I wasn't boarding earlier I would probably avoid the buffet because the lines do get very long.

It's the MDR for us at lunch as long as they have the orange souffle and Nutella ice cream for dessert. You can't get those at the HC or IC! I once went to the MDR on another day when they had Nutella ice cream for dessert and asked if I could get some to go but was told no. They did ask for our cabin number and less than 15 minutes later two bowls with two scoops each were delivered to our cabin!!

On my first and only HAL cruise, I did go to the dining room on the first day.

We had the same experience as recently as this past Christmas Eve day but I have learned subsequently that this should not have been.....yet another reason why it will be a long time before we sail HAL again:rolleyes:.....but then again if we ever do it again it won't be an issue:rolleyes:.

[quote name='nancycoop1']Hi - just wonder what thoughts people have on the best place to have lunch on the day fo embarkation.[/quote]

Most people will eat in the Horizon court . If your a Platinum or higher I think you can eat in the MDR. The MDR might also be open for the general public but for a very short time period.

[quote name='Kamloops50']Most people will eat in the Horizon court . If your a Platinum or higher I think you can eat in the MDR. The MDR might also be open for the general public but for a very short time period.[/QUOTE]
As has been mentioned throughout this thread the MDR is generally open from noon until 1:30 and is open to all passengers.

I'll post another vote for going to the Main Dining Room.

On some cruises I've had to ask a couple of different staff members before I found out which dining room was open, but it was worth the effort and was very nice way to start the cruise!!

[quote name='Astro Flyer']As has been mentioned throughout this thread the MDR is generally open from noon until 1:30 and is open to all passengers.[/quote]

I've heard that on another forum that some cruises have only let Platinum & above into the MDR for lunch.

My vote is for the International Cafe. BF and I ate there for lunch onthe Emerald. Very light and yummy lunch(plus great desserts!). It was also in the middle of when we were exploring the ship-a very nice distraction and didn't take long at all to be served.

I know I'm in the minority about this, but my wife and I like going to the Horizon Court Buffet on embarkation day. We like to arrive at the pier early, and are one of the first onboard. We head right up to the buffet, and it's not crowded at all. We get our pick of tables. After a quick lunch, the rest of the afternoon is ours to explore the ship. But, if you don't get there early, I do agree that the Horizon Court becomes a madhouse.

[quote name='Kamloops50']I've heard that on another forum that some cruises have only let Platinum & above into the MDR for lunch.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='highheel girl']Not true, it is open to anyone. :)[/QUOTE]

They have sometimes ignored the Princess invitation to a MDR lunch saying it's for in-transit only which isn't accurate. I don't know what forum had the info about being at least Platinum but they weren't following the Princess procedure because as everyone has said it's open to everyone.

Here is another vote for the International Cafe. The chicken and shrimp salads are terrific. Am I the only one who feels that the service for lunch in the MDR is painfully slow?

Another reason I would vote for the MDR is that the MDR is closed on most port days and on port intensive cruises there are not many opportunities to eat lunch there. On any other day you can have lunch at the HC, get a piece of pizza or something from the grill or get something from the IC (if the ship has one).

Archived