your favorite cabin location

We recently booked our first ever cruise. I have walking difficulties and our TA gave us a JS mid-ship starboard which on the face of it sounds a good location on the ship to minimize all the walking I will obviously need to do.

This got me thinking - what is everyone's preference for cabin location on their cruise ship and why?

PS - I just love watching that countdown meter go down :)

I'm happy with most any cabin but my priority is to be on the best ship I can afford that is suitable for my plans. I spend most of my waking time out around the ship so the ship is the big thing.

Roy

We recently booked our first ever cruise. I have walking difficulties and our TA gave us a JS mid-ship starboard which on the face of it sounds a good location on the ship to minimize all the walking I will obviously need to do.

This got me thinking - what is everyone's preference for cabin location on their cruise ship and why?

PS - I just love watching that countdown meter go down :)

I would recommend a cabin very close to the rear elevators. Should eliminate alot of walking to restaurants, pool deck etc.

Hi Garyb(UK)

First of all congratulations on booking your first cruise - prepare yourself for the addiction that follows though :eek:

Sounds like your TA has looked after you well as you should be near the elevators so that should minimise the walking for you and wow a JS too....Brilliant!

Our favourite cabin so far is an aft cabin looking out over the wake. It does mean a lot more walking getting too and from the cabin but helps us justify all those extra calories we eat/drink while onboard :o

Angie X

We always book a cabin as close to the elevator/stair lobby as possible.

Depending on the ship, we usually like the forward elevators because it is closer to the nightly entertainment venues. (The rear elevators are closer to the dining venues).

We try to walk as much as possible and book a cabin midway between the elevators.

One way to kill those calories.

Also, will have the same cabin number for the third time on this cruise............easy to remember.

Safe travels

Sue and crew

I don't think that mid-ship is a good location. The elevators are in the front or back. In order to get to them, it's a long walk back and forth. If there were mid-ship elevators that would be ideal. I prefer being right outside of the rear stairs and elevators. Seems to be the most convenient except for the show venues that are in the front of the ship.

The only location I do not like is aft on the lowest deck. It will often be directly above the ship's propellers and the vibration and noise can be a negative!

You are never on the lowest deck. There are 3 to 4 decks below the lowest passenger deck for crew and storage, and a deck, or two below that for machinery.

i prefer my cabins to be in the Caribbean

on the Royal carib ships we always try to get balcony cabins on the "bump" on the side of the ship. gets you a bigger balcony and is a fairly central location. as far as decks go, the only one i didnt care for was close to the pool deck and it was muggier on that deck/cabins than it was outside.

i prefer my cabins to be in the Caribbean

on the Royal carib ships we always try to get balcony cabins on the "bump" on the side of the ship. gets you a bigger balcony and is a fairly central location. as far as decks go, the only one i didnt care for was close to the pool deck and it was muggier on that deck/cabins than it was outside.

Bump cabins do NOT usually have a larger balcony, except on Oasis/Allure, and some on Radiance class.

Full AFT!!! if available, on Allure or other ship that doesn't have full aft...near aft elevators, less walking.

We do not care for full aft cabins on Voyager or Freedom class ships because of the obstructed view due to the structure of the ship....it was like overlooking a construction zone.

For your needs, the location is perfect, but my favorite cabin so far is the wrap cabin aft. We had 7388. Since I am extensively on the balcony at sea, this was fabulous and of course, we hung our hammock:p We have not had a hump cabin yet, but I hear they are second to the afts. We booked the primo hump cabin for Alaska Radiance, but were persuaded by others on here to switch to 9256 aft so we did. But someday, we'll make it to the hump:D

You are never on the lowest deck. There are 3 to 4 decks below the lowest passenger deck for crew and storage, and a deck, or two below that for machinery.

Yogi obviously meant the lowest balcony deck and he is correct. We have had deck 7 aft and the cavitation is considerable. I would not book lower than 7. We had cabinet doors open during the night during a big blow also. From now on deck 8 or above for us aft.

We like being near the central stairs and elevators (usually the "hump" area on ships that have "humps"!), and on a deck closest to where we spend our daytimes....for us, that's the pool deck!

If you can't manage stairs at all, then deck level won't matter much, as you'll need the elevators. But..being NEAR the elevators will make life soooooo much easier! Once you see the long hallways, you'll agree!

We have had several balcony cabins on the "hump" and we feel this is the ideal location. Central to everything.

We agree. This works well for as. The cabins on the ends of the hump have unique shaped balconies and are larger.

We agree. This works well for as. The cabins on the ends of the hump have unique shaped balconies and are larger.

On the Mariner (Voyager class) the hump balcony was not larger but there was a tad more room in the cabin between the bed and balcony door which made it easier to navigate from the far side of the bed.

I go for a cabin close to the forward elevators for reasons listed above. I like deck 6 or 7 because it is a straight shot down the steps to the Promenade Cafe and activities on the Promenade. It is a straight shot up from the theater which comes in handy if you need Ladies because the one outside the theater is a one holer for handicapped. Bonus: after the muster drill I don't have to wait for an elevator (lol). Note: on the Voyager, the balconies on Deck 6 are solid steel to almost chest high. Not so on the Mariner or the Navigator. Deck 7 and up have the glass ones.

People are afraid of the cabins near the elevator because of noise. This is a non-issue. I've never been disturbed by noise in a lot of cruises right next to the elevator any more than I would be in a cabin further away. If you do get noise, it is from passengers, not the elevator.

Tucker in Texas

I have yet to be on a Royal Caribbean ship that has passenger stairs at the back (aft) of the ship, so I don't know what Riverwinds 13 is referring to. We like midship, especially on the hump if we can get the larger balcony, and when we go down the nearby stairs we end up at the entrance to the dining room, guest services and all that.

I always book us mid ship and a few rooms forward of the lifts. It has always been an easy walk down the hall out into the corridore and to the elevators. We enjoy the evenings looking out from the side of the ship and seeing where we are heading. We also have had quick access to the dining room, then a ride up to the Windjammer and pool area.

We do not care for full aft cabins on Voyager or Freedom class ships because of the obstructed view due to the structure of the ship....it was like overlooking a construction zone.

Good then I can have your full aft balcony;)...just kidding. Glad everyone doesn't have the same opinion as I'd never get another aft again, they'd all be booked. We had the 10th floor which was very little obstructed view...the lower you go the more junk [superstructure of the ship] you had to look through.

We always book as far fwd as possible, on a Deck as high as possible....That would be deck #10 forward elevators our last 10 cruises or so.

Reason: It is one deck up the stairs to the solarium, fitness center area, and a quick jog down the stairs to the promenade cafe for early morning coffee, or the theater.

Our only interest in the rear of the ship is the MDR.

As far as ships movement?? Not happy on a cruise unless I can feel it rock'in.

It is a ship at sea after all.

Archived