Shipping luggage to the departure port?

ahecht

I am going to be sailing on Indy in February out of Fort Lauderdale. Since I will be flying in, it looks like it would be easier and cheaper to have certain large items shipped to the port instead of trying to check them on the flight down. I have done this before when staying in a hotel, even ordering cases of water shipped from Costco.com and having them waiting for me when I arrived at Disney World. The question is: it possible on a cruise? Can stuff be shipped to the port or even directly to the ship?

I am going to be sailing on Indy in February out of Fort Lauderdale. Since I will be flying in, it looks like it would be easier and cheaper to have certain large items shipped to the port instead of trying to check them on the flight down. I have done this before when staying in a hotel, even ordering cases of water shipped from Costco.com and having them waiting for me when I arrived at Disney World. The question is: it possible on a cruise? Can stuff be shipped to the port or even directly to the ship?

Not usually. Security is too high to allow personal luggage to be delivered direct to the port. Only the few luggage services (Luggage Free, Luggage Forward, Luggage Express) MAY be able to ship to the port. Otherwise, it will be either YOU pickup someplace in Ft. Lauderdale (and a good percentage of shipping services are closed on the weekend) OR ship to your hotel.

I am in the international logistics business. I can't imagine how shipping would be CHEAPER unless you ship via USPS ground. A 50 pound suitcase UPS GROUND from one side of the country to the other is about $60.00. USPS is about $50. And those are both GROUND services with 7-10 days transit time. A 50 pound suitcase shipped UPS/FEDEX two day air or Express Mail from Coast to Coast will be about $150-200.

Take your luggage with you unless you have an inordinate amount of "stuff". Most airlines will charge about $60 each way for 2 checked bags-again, VERY specifically depending on the airline and your itinerary. You can't even ship ONE suitcase one way for that price. You can pay for a lot of skycaps to schlepp your "stuff" through airports for the kind of money shipping will cost you.

There are services that do this, but I'm not sure if a cruise ship will accept a shipment like this. More than likely it would be easier to ship it to the hotel if you have an overnight stay.

Where did you find a shipper that will deliver cheaper than airline baggage? Every time I check, a 50 lb. box is $300 or more, each way. Luggage fees range from $25 - $100 each, each way depending on size and weight.

I'd only pay $300 or more if I were not able to manage my own luggage.

Not sure if you have cruised before, but you will find that it works best when you travel light. Cruise ships, and ports for that matter handle many tens of thousands of pieces of luggage every day. but are generally not equipped to store luggage shipped in.

The general rule of thumb is to take half of what you think you need with you and twice the cash. Most cruise lines allow only one case of water or soda per passenger and it must be carried onto the ship by you. I don't do it, the water on ships is as good or better that bottled water. I am sure you will get other responses like this. A carry on and one other piece of luggage per person is all you will need. Also remember that all your luggage and items you bring on board will be stored in your cabin with you, and space in cabins is at a premium.

Good Luck and have fun on your Indy cruise.

I checked USPS and the cheapest rate they had was $87.75 for a box and weight the typical size of a suitcase. Not bad if you have problems dealing with luggage, you just need to mail it a few days in advance.

Still not cheaper than airline fees, though.

I was referring more to ordering stuff from places like Amazon or Costco that have free shipping to be shipped to the port. For the above Costco water example, they will ship a case of water anywhere in the US for $8.50 plus tax, but checking it on the plane as a second piece of luggage would cost $35-$40, depending on the airline.

Yes, you can ship items to many ports and to many cruise ships.

You need to check with the cruise line.

There are services that delivery luggage.

And often for those cruise lines who allow packages to be shipped (not all do) they will put you into contact with the port agent.

Again, check with your cruise line to see if this is doable.

Keith

I was referring more to ordering stuff from places like Amazon or Costco that have free shipping to be shipped to the port. For the above Costco water example, they will ship a case of water anywhere in the US for $8.50 plus tax, but checking it on the plane as a second piece of luggage would cost $35-$40, depending on the airline.

NO WAY is shipping of personal items going to be allowed at the port due to security issues. Again, to a hotel-you will have to call in advance. There are hotels worldwide that are NOT accepting shipments again due to security issues.

Think about it this way-water/juice/other drinks from Costco/Amazaon will surely be the real thing.

But those same bottles could contain the base of 2 part explosives sold world wide. http://www.mrel.com/defence_security_products/components/pdf/FIXOR_Brochure.pdf

Please note this part in the brochure: "FIXOR™ Binary Explosive can be

transported around the world by any method, including as cargo formally booked on commercial passenger aircraft."

If it was possible to ship directly to the ship, the shipment is accepted by the cruise line/port agent through one of their licensed vendors and will be delivered directly to the ship just like food, napkins, paper towels, etc. are.

The delivered package is NOT walked through security as it would be when passengers personally take water/drinks onboard.

Someone else carries on the powder in a baby powder container and you have a bunch of bombs on a cruise ship.

I have seen the stuff used in Afghanistan. It is lethal for IED's and smaller personnel carriers.

These binary explosives are one big reason TSA won't let liquids through security. And cruise lines ONLY accept packages from vetted sources. Your PRIVATE shipment is NOT vetted even though the shipping method used by Costco or Amazon may be. And yes, the cruise line would know it is a PRIVATE shipment because it would have YOUR name on it.

Buy your water, etc. before you board the ship. Take a taxi to a store if you must. We will all be SAFER.

Absolutely no reason to carry on a case of water. The water on board ship is about the best, in purity and taste, that you can find.

If you still feel you need to have a case of water, do what many do- mostly for other things- and buy it after you arrive at your port.

The subject in the original post said luggage so my answer was based on that.

Is your plan to really ship water?

Again, check with the cruise line.

I know people who used to ship a case of wine and then the port agent held it till the ship is in port. However, on the last cruise the rules changed and they no longer could do this so they shipped the wine to a pre cruise hotel and then brought the case with them in the vehicle that they were taken to the port in.

We all can speculate on this, but that is a waste of time. Call the cruise line or if you have a TA have them do that for you.

Keith

Absolutely no reason to carry on a case of water. The water on board ship is about the best, in purity and taste, that you can find.

Is your plan to really ship water?

We all know some passengers bring their own bottled water despite the fact that the water onboard is perfectly fine and fresh. *shrug* There is just no telling some people differently. :)

Or, just take aboard a few bottles and purchase the water bottles onboard to supplement that. We're not the type to overload ourselves with water bottles to board a ship...maybe 2-3 each.

I don't know the current price, around $3.50 ++ per bottle, but they are 1 litre bottles.

And....the drinking water onboard the ship in restaurants is fine. We only use bottled water in our cabin or for excursions.

We all know some passengers bring their own bottled water despite the fact that the water onboard is perfectly fine and fresh. *shrug* There is just no telling some people differently. :)

Yes Langley, sad but true. But the OP sounded like they are first time cruisers. Hope springs eternal:D

It was more convenience. I've seen plenty of posts here with people talking about water being hard to get outside of the dining rooms for carrying around the ship, and even more reports of people getting dehydrated on their cruises. I also wanted to have bottles for when we are in the various ports.

I've read plenty of posts here that have said that, despite the official line from RCI, that they have had no troubles checking 24-packs of water.

I could always bring aluminum water bottles to fill on the ship if the alternative is too inconvenient.

It was more convenience. I've seen plenty of posts here with people talking about water being hard to get outside of the dining rooms for carrying around the ship, and even more reports of people getting dehydrated on their cruises. I also wanted to have bottles for when we are in the various ports.

I've read plenty of posts here that have said that, despite the official line from RCI, that they have had no troubles checking 24-packs of water.

I could always bring aluminum water bottles to fill on the ship if the alternative is too inconvenient.

I do agree that drinking water is very important.

On the ship you can feel safe about having the water that is available in the various venues.

Yes, it is very important to drink water in port. Your idea about water bottles is a very good idea. I would fill them up and add some ice to them and take them off the ship with you for your time in port.

Keith

I've never read a post that said water is tough to get outside the dining room. That's absolutely false. You can get water everywhere on the ship. They even sell bottles of water as you leave the ship for excursions.

You cannot ship anything directly to the ship. There are security measures in place to prevent that. Can you imagine the security nightmare if they allowed anyone to ship whatever to a cruise ship?

You can use a service to ship luggage to a ship. I do that all the time, but it's not cheap. For example, two bags from my house in Western Pa to Fort Lauderdale cost me $319 one way, using a shipping service. So, as you can see, the airline fees are cheaper.

Before a trip I buy a couple of bottled drinks (water with vitamins or some other thing) that has a larger mouth than most soda bottles. Drink those at home and wash out plastic bottles. These go into the luggage empty (no weight) so I can fill them with ice the mornings we have shore excursions. I have a soft-sided collapsible cooler (small - like you can take lunch in) that I put in my shore bag, usually wrapping the bottle of ice in a wash cloth to trap any condensation. The ice melts and we have good cool water when in ports even though we seldom need it since bottled water can be bought usually for cheaper than the on-ship prices if we need more. Sometimes add a powdered lemonade but DH prefers just water. The washcloth is also something to cool our sweaty brows. Often we just buy a soda of choice in can or bottle in port, though. And, at least the private excursions we've arranged, the driver always had a cooler of drinks in the trunk. Rinse them out in the evening and toss them into recycle bin at the end of trip.

Before a trip I buy a couple of bottled drinks (water with vitamins or some other thing) that has a larger mouth than most soda bottles. Drink those at home and wash out plastic bottles. These go into the luggage empty (no weight) so I can fill them with ice the mornings we have shore excursions. I have a soft-sided collapsible cooler (small - like you can take lunch in) that I put in my shore bag, usually wrapping the bottle of ice in a wash cloth to trap any condensation. The ice melts and we have good cool water when in ports even though we seldom need it since bottled water can be bought usually for cheaper than the on-ship prices if we need more. Sometimes add a powdered lemonade but DH prefers just water. The washcloth is also something to cool our sweaty brows. Often we just buy a soda of choice in can or bottle in port, though. And, at least the private excursions we've arranged, the driver always had a cooler of drinks in the trunk. Rinse them out in the evening and toss them into recycle bin at the end of trip.

Great idea! DH and I bought 64 oz drinking cups to carry around the ship with us, but thought they might be more difficult to handle on our excursion in Belize. Thanks for the tip!

Archived