How early to book

cruiserll

...just make sure you get price protection, so if the cruise price drops you can get the new price. We did this on our upcoming cruise and saved $220.00.:D

I'm curious - do most TA's just offer price protection or is this an extra charge for such and must be requested? I'm in the process of dealing with a cruise where the price has dropped and it's kind of a hassle. I'd love to get an automatic "lowest price" guarantee!

Book as early as you would like, just make sure you get price protection, so if the cruise price drops you can get the new price. We did this on our upcoming cruise and saved $220.00.:D

Enjoy your cruise and have a cocktail for me!!!:eek: C.G.

Do you book directly with the cruise line and get price protection or with a TA?

Yes I will definately have a cocktail for you!!! :D

I've already booked an April 2014 cruise to Hawaii. If you know where, and when, you want to go, then book as soon as the cruises are made available. This gives you the opportunity to book the cabin you want as well as more time to pay it off.

I'm curious - do most TA's just offer price protection or is this an extra charge for such and must be requested? I'm in the process of dealing with a cruise where the price has dropped and it's kind of a hassle. I'd love to get an automatic "lowest price" guarantee!

For many cruiselines (not all), it is an automatic thing to where if the price of your cruise drops before the final payment due date, you can get the new price. However, you have to keep your eye out of the price reductions and request the new price when you see it.

Some cruiselines (Carnival comes to mind) will have a special rate that you can book and get price reductions even after the final payment due date. Again, you have to keep an eye out for it yourself and request it when you see it. However, that rate does have more restrictions if you need to cancel or make changes, and you can wind up losing money if something comes up.

Many TA's won't keep track of price reductions for you, but if you see one and are eligible, you give them a call for that new price. Depending on the TA, there may or may not be a fee they charge for each new prices reduction form they have to submit to the cruiseline or some of your perks may disappear if you want the new price. This is because their commisions are lowered when they sell a cruise at a lower price. AGain, this will vary by TA though.

As far as geting a low price guarantee, that really won't happen, because prices are constantly flunctuating based on supply and demand. A cruiseline may offer a really good price at the very last minute, to squeeze a few more people on the ship, but they aren't necessarily going to make that same offer to people that are already booked at higher prices.

To the OP: I too book as soon as I am sure I am going to cruise. I am currently looking to book a Sept 2013 cruise in the near future.

I always book on-line, because I've done it many times and know if there is a discount I could get. Some cruise lines offer discounts for AARP members or retired military, members of police and fire departments, if you fall into one of these than call the cruise line and book with them!!!

As for best price, you must watch the on line prices and fill out a form to get the better price on some cruise lines others you can just call and get the price. Always good to talk to the cruise lines at the begining and go from there...

Happy Cruising To All!!!:D C.G.

For many cruiselines (not all), it is an automatic thing to where if the price of your cruise drops before the final payment due date, you can get the new price. However, you have to keep your eye out of the price reductions and request the new price when you see it.

Thank you - I was wondering if I had to keep an eye out for the savings or if it would be automatic. Guess I'll be checking on these upcoming cruises fairly frequently.

We would like to cruise June of 2013. Is it too early to book now? How far in advance is the best time to book?

We have our May cruise on the Allure booked and the price has gone up. We have November 2013 on the Breakaway and the price has gone down. So far, its a win win for us. Booking ealry is a good thing. :)

The lowest price and highest price cabins always go first as do the best cabin locations within every other category.
For Alaska this summer, there were a lot of terrific deals on inside cabins and obstructed views. So apparently not all of the lowest price cabins sold out.

I always recommend booking whenever you know your dates are firm and the price is right for you. Don't count on getting a reduction in price. But if one happens, it's a great bonus. For instance, I booked our Christmas cruise to the Panama Canal a couple of years ago while onboard another cruise. During that cruise, the price went down and I was able to get the onboard cruise consultant to get us the better price. And when I got home, my travel agent was able to tell me his new price. He had already given me a quote based on the previous price.

This is generally true for Americans if the price drop occurs before the final payment date, and if the lower price is not for new bookings only.

However, people from some other countries have posted that they are not allowed to take advantage of price drops.

When we see a price drop for which we are eligible, all we do is pick up the phone and ask for it.

It is always applied immediately with no problem and we wait for the confirmation before hanging up.

It is important to have a price drop processed immediately because prices can change from day to day, or even hour to hour. If you delay, the lower price may no longer be available.

A number of people on these boards have reported missing out on price drops that way.

Also be aware that if you are using a travel agent, you cannot just call the cruise line to get the price drop but must request it from your travel agent.

It is important to be aware of the policy of your travel agency because some of them charge a fee to make any changes, such as price drops, cabin changes or cancellations. Others do not.

If you book early, just be prepared not to be disappointed if the prices drop drastically after final payment when you are not eligible for the lower prices.

That is why some people who book early refuse to look at the prices at all once the final payment date passes.

Thank you - I was wondering if I had to keep an eye out for the savings or if it would be automatic. Guess I'll be checking on these upcoming cruises fairly frequently.

It's definitely worth keeping an eye on - I called HAL this weekend on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise - $660 price drop.

Also, if you qualify check to see if there's an "over 55" rate. We saved big time on our recent AU / NZ cruise.

I have always believed that when one spots a deal, better grab it. For that reason, I booked today a 15-day cruise on the Carnival Miracle from Long Beach to Hawaii and back, departing Dec. 7, 2013. The total for an inside with a French door (4122) and partial view of the sea less than $1,300 pp., including taxes and charges. This is reversible fare, although I don't foresee us changing anything.

Since this cruise will be returning Dec. 22, the ship will be decorated and so will Hawaii. I will buy air as soon as that becomes available.

We have sailed on most mass market lines, with the exception of Disney. Unlike some other posters, we quite like Carnival. You don't have to participate in the hokiness if you don't like it, but it has all kinds of amenities. I'll be 70 by that cruise, and one reason I'm going is the water slide, A good variety of eating options as well.

We have booked several times this early. I saw no benefit in waiting because the price will not be coming down.

Archived