carnival to start head counts at muster drills!

H82seaUgo

It's only an issue when people don't show up. I have had a head count on a few cruises (not CCL) and the muster took no longer than usual.

I've been "checked in" on each of my NCL & DCL sailings, and we always left on time without missing sail-away. Never ever once on CCL (32 sailings) was I checked for presence at muster.

And there were a few times I was far more attentive than the muster station crew in charge. This one never once made eye contact with, or spoke to, any passengers, and did not demonstrate a single things being announced. The general comment from those around me was, "Wow, does she hate her job or what?"

Bored-Crew-M.jpg

.This oneThi s

I have a mixed view of the muster drill. First, I like knowing that the 20 percent of the population that I consider profound knuckleheads are getting at least a minimal immersion in ship emergency preparedness. Maybe a couple of them will come out okay in a disaster.

Or not. Because, second, I don't have any faith in the captain and crew to guide passengers during a disaster. Not given the track record of Carnival an other cruiselines, as well as ferry services, and even water taxis. I expect the captain to behave like a cowardly halfwit. I'm hoping that if anything serious happens, I'm proven wrong. No offense to the crew, either, but without leadership, they're stranded (as we saw on Concordia).

And third, a disaster is the kind of situation where passengers invariably prove themselves to be heroic, or worthless dead weight. Unfortunately, cases were lots of people behave in the right way, do the right thing, and take care of each other are much less common than crazy pandemonium. Again, I'd like to be proven wrong on this point.

In all, I see the muster drill as probably a waste of time, but there's always a chance that it clicks with enough people, and one or two leaders step forward when the moment comes.

And finally, I'd recommend that, instead of a head count, they attach an explosive collar the neck of the captain. Any cowardly behavior would set it off. Now that is a real safety improvement!

I don't think this is anything new. I recall that in the past (yep, WAY in the past) they used to have the list of passengers, and they'd check you off when you arrived at the muster station. Makes perfect sense to me. ;)

"SKY"

Not in my last 2 Carnival cruises. No one counted.

Heck my last one on Imagination last month was just about an hour long in the sun on Lido. It was friggin just stupid. We couldn't even hear them as everyone was to busy flapping their gums and drinking.

In all, I see the muster drill as probably a waste of time, but there's always a chance that it clicks with enough people, and one or two leaders step forward when the moment comes.

And finally, I'd recommend that, instead of a head count, they attach an explosive collar the neck of the captain. Any cowardly behavior would set it off. Now that is a real safety improvement!

Finally a reasoned sane suggestion!

As I stated before, the entire muster drill is provided to give the illusion of safety.

That is not to say that these huge ships are not safe. The are but in no way do these drills make us safer.

you should back that prognostication up with donning a blindfold, and showing us how you can make it from your cabin to your lifeboat, possibly while crawling to avoid the smoke.

i wonder if it surprises you that people die trying to escape their own homes, yet they surely know how to get out, right?

blah blah blah....

I still think they need to actually check off the names so they know who is actually there and who to look for.

I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I'm about to take my 2nd CCL cruise, and that was so long ago, I didn't remember how muster was done.

on NCL they check you off by cabin # at the muster station.

They are inside, which is where you are supposed to report with MANY crew members assigned to each station. We were told they would lead us to the lifeboats. This would reduce panic I'm sure. The Concordia and the Titanic for that matter took a long time to sink and list. In the case of the Concordia, it seem that command totally broke down. I do remeber seeing video of one of the stations where I think the Dr,with the emergency clipboard in hand, was in charge. No panicked pax, yes upset & confused but they listened to the Dr. who was supposed to know what to do.

For those who don't think they need to go to the muster drill, please go read The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood befor your next cruise

On at least two of our previous cruises (can't remember if it was RCCL or CCL), as passengers arrived at their designated muster station, a crew member with a clipboard would ask each person for their cabin number and ask if all members of their family were present. As long as everyone was present and accounted for, the muster drill went pretty smoothly. There would only be a delay if someone tried to skip the drill, making it unnecessarily long until everyone was accounted for.

On the Miracle in May...they counted.

They had staff in the halls....we of course tried to ditch it...hey when you have seen a few and been on the ship more than twice...

No such luck...they entered cabins and made everyone go...

They have stepped it up for making people go...last year we were on the balcony and our room steward asked us "at least get off the balcony and wait in the room until it is over"....

H82...thank you for considering the well being of others...

I see some are not as nice.....lol

Drills are for the cruise line, not for us.

And don't tell me that by others going it will be safer for me. If the unthinkable happens, nobody will remember squat about what they did or did not learn in any drill. You best be prepared to help yourself. Always.

I totally agree!

On the Miracle this past May they did a head count. Looked like they were on walkie-talkies calling the count in. We all had to wait for stragglers, then another count.....it took awhile but they eventually got it done.

I personally like the idea of using a hand held scanner or even the 'bing' thingy they use when we leave the ship. Carnival can then track down the offenders who don't show.

I have been at muster drills where we would be standing there 30 minutes waiting for the offenders to eventually show up.

I have not read everyones response, but I remember when Carnival used to do the "head" count. Personally, I think it is a good idea. I know there are people who do not want to do it, and more than likely they stay in their rooms, so no one will come looking for them. I don't think it is fair to the people who are there for the drill, as "everyone" should be there! If they made things more "mandatory", then "everyone" would feel like they have been treated fairly.

I have not read everyones response, but I remember when Carnival used to do the "head" count. Personally, I think it is a good idea. I know there are people who do not want to do it, and more than likely they stay in their rooms, so no one will come looking for them. I don't think it is fair to the people who are there for the drill, as "everyone" should be there! If they made things more "mandatory", then "everyone" would feel like they have been treated fairly.

CCL has issues enforcing many of it`s policys...seems some ships do...some do`nt

Personally I don`t think even with counting they could get everyone there

unless they swipe the cards

I truly love this statement-

from wiskt- post #30

Maybe if they added a mandatory LIFEBOAT DRILL FEE that gets removed when you get your card scanned, everyone would be lined up for the muster drill instead of at Guest services to remove their tips. haha

or maybe they shouldn't serve any booze til the lifeboat drill is over and done with. i think that many light weights get too many drinks and try them all before 3:45 p.m.

Just off the Miracle. Yes I Saw someone with a clicker and they announce they were doing a count. No way was it accurate and please don't critize me but I think it's more for show. We were at least 8 plus people deep on deck and the rows were not anywhere in a straight line. People were still coming in when we were done. I never heard any other announcements for do overs at the life boat drill. This is my 20 th cruise and yes I comment to myself why should I be here but I still think its a necessity and should be attended by all. I would rather have some sort of cabin check in to verify 100 % compliance. Hearing many on the questions from passengers, the lack of following the rules etc.... I couldn't imagine what would happen in a true emergency. On the 4th or 5th day they had one of the pools closed. The safety officer was out with about 20 employees practicing the use of one of the inflatable lifeboats that are on the lifeboat deck. This is third time that I've seen them practicing while on Carnival cruises and I must say that they were taking it serious so congratulation to them. I only wish my fellow passengers would take it as serious as it should be. Many do but there's still plenty out there that don't. ( my opinion)

Last January on Legend, they called 4 cabin numbers, and asked them to report to their muster station (which happened to be ours). We waited & waited, but they eventually showed up.

I asked one of the crew about this and was told that someone (officer or steward) opens every cabin door, & if it doesn't open because they are bolted from the inside, they know those people are trying to skip the drill.

I don't think this is anything new. I recall that in the past (yep, WAY in the past) they used to have the list of passengers, and they'd check you off when you arrived at the muster station. Makes perfect sense to me. ;)

"SKY"

Just off Magic and no head count. Just make the no shows have to come to a secondary and very unpleasant drill. If they don't show for the second one, then off the ship they go. :mad:

Archived