Calling all PG Lovers

Emdee

Im also happy with 2 days in Moorea- we had terrible weather and missed too much, having a re do is great for us and a major plus in the column for doing this one!

If I understand the " drive by" had some thing to do with the inability to accommodate the ship there? Did I hear that wrong?

I think not going to Tetiaroa was more not disturbing the folks at the new hotel (that the owner of the PG also owns) that will be opened by next year. The Drive By that I was hoping for is just sailing past to get a good look at the island. Yes I also think the island would not be able to deal with all of us.

I knew someone would have an explanation! I had read it somewhere! 300 people inst many, but you do notice it, even while biking in Moorea, mostly the people who went by us were fellow cruisers, in scooters, cars and buses- we were waving constantly;). I simply cannot imagine what these islands must be like when the Carnival ship pulls in:eek:

Which island has the Blue Lagoon?

Fortunately, I don't think Carnival or any other "Mega ship" visits these islands.

Yes they do, not the huge ones but neverless ships with 1200 - 2000 passengers are now hitting the islands. Shameful :(

There was a carnival cruise ship out there in port with us in Tahiti...they were in Bora Bora the day ahead of us and the folks on the island were still reeling. I looked later and saw it was one of those re-positioning things, HI to FP onto AU/ NZ, I don't think they are out there all the time,and there never seemed to be a larger ship in on the same day as PG except for in PPT.

This is Emdee's DD. I got a personal message from Emdee and because of the weather those large ships did not come at the same time as PG.

In Bora Bora, PG was suppose to share one day with Princess. They cancelled due to the weather.

In Moorea, Pg was suppose to share one day with Marina. Again cancelled due to the weather.

When researching how the Marina would affect PG we discovered that while they sometimes could visit the same islands, they could not always anchor where PG does. i.e. Rangiroa- they have tender outside the reef/island (to another spot) while PG can go thru the pass. Weather then becomes important for them operating the tenders due to the long distances.

Also, in September there is limited chances that large ships will be in the area- their crossing are later in the fall or in spring.

We asked for Tetiaroa on Tere Moana with the management but too many people on PG and not enough facilities.

We're booked--just got confirmation from my TA that the charge went thru, waiting for my invoice!

Can't believe we're going back to FP one more time! This will be our 5th time in FP, officially our 6th cruise (there was a b2b involved!)

Yeah! Can't wait to meet you, we are looking pretty firm too! I'm having my TA check out the prices of 2014 Eastern Europe cruises, on Monday before we have to deposit, but just eyeballing they are coming out the same or higher in price, especially with European flights. I guess I have the flu...if I'm going to go to a new place I cannot pronounce ( Pecs or Huahine) I guess I want to to be in FP:p;)

BTW- for all of you going, it's only our 2nd time and first to many of these islands, so you can expect me to be full of questions, as usual!

As I remember the history of the PG, it was built with an intentionally shallow draft of 15' (the part of the ship below water) to be able to navigate the shallow waters of FP. There used to be a website (which I have lost somehow) that gave dimensions and capacities of cruise ships. I recall that some had as much as a 38' draft, meaning they couldn't really go to many of the areas in FP, which the PG can access. So maybe we have some natural protection against the "invasion of the Mega ships".

As an aside, I recall when RSSC was hunting for a buyer for the PG, one potential buyer wanted to buy her for cruises around the South American cape. The waters there are among the roughest in the world, which therefore require a deep draft ship for safety. The thought of the shallow draft PG in those waters made me wonder if the potential buyer were trying to create

"Titanic II"! Of course, that buyer apparently "wised up" and didn't buy.

Twin when I am home I am going to request the Tetiaroa drive by - it shouldnt be a problem the issue is really going on shore as the facilities are not there.

Why do people want this? It's really not that interesting, or not as I remember.

I thought the itinerary was set, since it's been published and people are booking. Am I missing something? Just wondering.

Emdee should have the honor of starting the roll call given her instrumental part in organizing the trip!

I am assuming the sail by won't alter the itinerary any as all the islands are fairly close to each other. I think people would like to pass on our way from island x to island y. Perhaps the interest is the new facilities there?

John

John

I thought the very same thing! We need Emdee back to start an official roll call:D

My DH and I love the afternoon sails past various islands. We stayed on the balcony till dark enjoying the view and sunset. One of the best parts of our trip! Would love to do drive bys. :D

Thanks Emdee I will also emailing away to the powers that be. I originally thought I would not do this cruise as I am going September this year and can usually only go every other year but

F.... It. We only live once. I feel I have already been on a repeaters cruise as last years Brisbane to Papeete run had 75% repeaters on it!

This is the only ship I have been on that I kept in touch with people after the cruise. It really is a special ship that caters to special people. I am putting my deposit down Monday as I got the cabin I wanted and truly hope I can go on this cruise.

Now does anyone care actually care who wins the Super Bowl?!

Hi Twin: Fellow Jerseyite! May put down my deposit on Monday too. Not sure about doing the air with PG or trying to arrange on own. If the PG takes off the air, does that mean we would be able to go to Papeete from LAX so arrive earlier in the day? Seems if do the ATN thru PG most get in late, so unable to use the dayroom. Without this use, wouldnt be less expensive to book air separately? seems like if go straight to ship, lose the day? thanks for clarification,

Right now doing the air WITH PG is cheaper if using ATN. I think with Air France also. I usually do my own air and use miles when i can. I always go a day or 3 early and spend the night before or a few nights before in Papeete or Moorea. If you do your own air and there is a problem and you can't get to the ship on time you are S.O.O.L. Coming from NJ its better not to travel to LAX and then to PPT and then right to ship. your first couple of days on the ship you will spend catching up on sleep and not feeling right. Oceanbabe send me another email - I somehow lost your email address!

Archived