Update on Birth Certificate typo of last name issue

irisheileen

Thanks again to all who offered constructive advice last week!

Birth Certificate people called my friends DH today and obtained information about a daughter of his that proved his name was as he was stating.

They told him that they were sending a corrected BC in the overnight envleope he had provided.

Yahoo!!!!

He will have it in time for their first cruise!!!!

Here is the original issue for those who are scratching their heads: :confused:

Help please! Birth certificate wrong name spelling= difficulty getting Passport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am helping an inexperienced cruiser whose husband's Birth Certificate has HIS last name misspelled but his birth father's name spelled correctly. No passport will be issued right now and they are sailing Sunday 8/5 (10 business days away!) Wife's passport, (with his same last name) was received, and will be used at Customs.

First HAL rep states "no problem at NYC port", when we asked for written documentaion of this we are told not possible. Supervisor requested and she disagrees with first rep! "There is a SLIGHT" chance CUSTOMS OFFICIALS will not accept Birth certificate with one vowel wrong, that doesn't match his correct DL. HAL has NO CONTROL we are told.

Congress-person says they can do nothing to help.

So, her husband has a letter at their home with instructions to follow. We will have access to those instructions later today, but I just wanted to start getting opinions and hearing about real life experiences from you all.

Realistacally, what are the chances that they will be able to resolve the discrepancy on the BC in time to get an expedited Passport IN TIME for 8/5 sailing?

Terrific thanks for keeping us abreast of the situation..

Eileen, this is great news. Now once he returns he will be able to obtain his Pass Port as well :)

That too was going to be my next question too..A new BC should make it easier to secure a new expedited passport..

Cheers..:).Betty

That's great!

I hope you all enjoy your cruise.

Yes, a cruise is needed just to relax from the drama.

We aren't going the same week as the couple with the issue- we booked first and then she decided to take their first cruise after I was extolling all the great reasons to cruise to Hamilton with HAL this last summer.

They had taken their Honeymoon to Bermuda and haven't taken a real vacation away since.

So, they are cruising the week before us, on their Anniversary, August 5th. I told her that on Sailaway next week, they will have to wave for the webcam to all the CC'ers who helped! Then we sail Aug 12th.

Eileen, this is great news. Now once he returns he will be able to obtain his Pass Port as well :)

Actually, simultaneously they were attempting to get the Passport expeditied by using all other sorts of ID's and it'll probably come when they are on the cruise! lol

thanks for the update. frequently, people come here for advice but never report back how it worked out.

I agree.

All so often people come here, tell us there issue, we try to help and we don't always even know if they read all the posts.

It's so nice when we hear 'the rest of the story'.

GREAT News.......

So happy for them.

You were a good friend to give them so much help.

Please send your friend Bon Voyage wishes from CC'ers. :)

I guess being tenacious can have its merits? lol

Look for them waving at Veendam's sailaway August 5th!

My friend just texted me ...THEY GOT THE PASSPORT IN THE MAIL TODAY!!!

Now we just have to edit the online check-in and be done with it.

What good news!!! I also am pleased you came back with the update. As already mentioned, so often posters make a great effort to help, encourage, etc and then we never hear back from them. :( Just so happy everything worked out for your friend.

Archived