Pay More...... Get More.

sail7seas

S7S....Speak your mind.

I like the baked sweet potato idea. My Doc says stay away from white potatoes. This would be an easy new menu item...also sweet potato frys (sp) are better for you as well.

S7S....Speak your mind.

I like the baked sweet potato idea. My Doc says stay away from white potatoes. This would be an easy new menu item...also sweet potato frys (sp) are better for you as well.

I have repeatedly requested baked sweet potatoes be offered as well as whole wheat/whole grain pasta as 'always available' items.

What would be the big deal to have whole wheat choice beside the white pasta in Lido at lunch daily at the Pasta Station? Seems such a simple thing but I've had no luck. Once in a while, they offer whole wheat on MDR menu as not much more than plate decoration. :(

They do offer whole wheat/whole grain bread and rolls and that is definitely a plus.

For people who cruise often, not having some of those choices available for many weeks of the year makes trying to stay with our usual way of healthy eating less enjoyable. Sure, there are plenty of fruits and veggies but we all need (and most of us want) carbs. Many of us want more healthful carbs and what could be easier than a baked sweet potato, whole wheat pasta or even brown rice?

For people who cruise often, not having some of those choices available for many weeks of the year makes trying to stay with our usual way of healthy eating less enjoyable. Sure, there are plenty of fruits and veggies but we all need (and most of us want) carbs. Many of us want more healthful carbs and what could be easier than a baked sweet potato, whole wheat pasta or even brown rice?

And some of us need a lo-carb diet - guess they can't please everybody :)

And some of us need a lo-carb diet - guess they can't please everybody :)

Choices..... :)

It's all about choices.

I'm attempting to have the ability to choose 'healthy carbs'.

Someone who does not want to eat carbs can easily avoid them.... just don't order it.

Choices..... :)

It's all about choices.

I'm attempting to have the ability to choose 'healthy carbs'.

Someone who does not want to eat carbs can easily avoid them.... just don't order it.

I get it, Sail. If you're eating carbs, you should make them "count" for more than the refined carbs. If it makes you feel better, you've inspired me to have whole-wheat pasta for dinner tonight. With veggies--I'm feeling VERY virtuous! :D

NO NO NO Stop this now.. We pay good money to go on cruise. If some people are willing to pay a two tier dinner in the MDR the cruise ship will just start charging more for meals in dinning room.

I hate being nickled and dimed. what next will they charge for Show's to get off ship first. for pillow animals' date=' turn down?? come on people soon we will be paying for everything on the ship that use to be free. Look back at what was included 5,10 20 years ago and if you want to do it now you pay extra

Mary[/quote']

One of the advantages of cruising is having most of the trip paid for before sailing. I agree - I don't like being nickled and dimed - think airlines. You get a good price on your airline ticket - and then it doubles when you add luggage and who know what else! What would your final bill look like if you add extra for every meal you eat.

I have repeatedly requested baked sweet potatoes be offered as well as whole wheat/whole grain pasta as 'always available' items.

What would be the big deal to have whole wheat choice beside the white pasta in Lido at lunch daily at the Pasta Station? Seems such a simple thing but I've had no luck. Once in a while, they offer whole wheat on MDR menu as not much more than plate decoration. :(

They do offer whole wheat/whole grain bread and rolls and that is definitely a plus.

I agree, Sail, with what you are saying. I would love a choice of whole grain pasta and other good carbs.

But you really need to look at logistics. How many pax are requesting this? Not many, I guess, or HAL would see the need. Special menus are accomodated, ones like low-salt, diabetic, vegetarian, etc, as these have been mainstream for a long time and obviously have pax asking for them.

Good carb is a recent thing and although the grocery stores carry such items, not a huge percentage of shelf space is devoted to, say, whole grain pasta. Take a look the next time you go shopping in a mainstream grocery store (not a specialty store), estimate how much shelf space in feet is devoted to regular pasta and how much to whole grain.

Then take a look at the price. In my store the whole grain varieties are at least double the price. HAL has not seemed too interested in purchasing the expensive items in the past; now with cutbacks, they won't be too enthusiastic. If you wish to pay more for your choices, then you are very likely on the wrong line, but this has been hashed out by others.

As to HAL's so-called whole wheat breads: I doubt that HAL is bothering to buy sacks of expensive shole grain bread mixes. Plain white, jazzed up is likely what we are getting. You can tell a lot from texture and I have rarely seen anything on HAL that I did not think was white mix with added molasses to give the apprearance of whole wheat. Some of the seeed rolls are really good, but based on white bread.

Brown rice is a pain to cook, because it takes so long. May also have a limited audience so I can see why HAL avoids it.

I try to make some solid choices on HAL, but it is not easy. I eat a lot of fruit and no bread, pasta or rice. I survive and have a great time.

I do have certain dietary needs and the cruiselines pretty much have things covered, but it is after all, a vacation... long, short or otherwise. There is only so much specialty foods they can handle and I know I for one have to make do or just not go on a vacation. We pay good money for these cruises and I know I'd rather not pay any more than I have to.

SilvertoGold,

I wonder if some parts of U.S. and perhaps same for Canada have more people seeking more healthful food choices. Is it possible there is a geographic connection? I don't know the answer..... I'm asking.

In the markets where I shop, there is no shortage of shelf space alloted to whole grains quinoa, brown rice, health(ier) cold cereals, beans etc.

I do agree they cost somewhat higher.... I'm not sure about double.

At least a baked sweet potato, is that asking too much? Can't be easier. Wash it and stick it in an oven. No excessive labor necessary.

However, I cede to your reasoning and think you are probably right. If it will cost so much as one cent more, we are not going to see it,,,, not in this economy. If they haven't done it yet, the chances are tiny they plan to anytime soon. :shrug:

I agree. The dining stewards in the MDR are already overworked. Why add more complications to their agenda? I think the Pinnacle, Tamarind, etc. are equipped for the variants in the menu. Additional "pay for" venues would be the way to go. JMO, but it sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen if the MDR was subjected to this.

We would just have to tip the stewards more. <ducks>:eek::eek:

I wonder if some parts of U.S. and perhaps same for Canada have more people seeking more healthful food choices. Is it possible there is a geographic connection? I don't know the answer..... I'm asking.

In the markets where I shop, there is no shortage of shelf space alloted to whole grains quinoa, brown rice, health(ier) cold cereals, beans etc.

I do agree they cost somewhat higher.... I'm not sure about double.

At least a baked sweet potato, is that asking too much? Can't be easier. Wash it and stick it in an oven. No excessive labor necessary.

However, I cede to your reasoning and think you are probably right. If it will cost so much as one cent more, we are not going to see it,,,, not in this economy.

I know here on Long Island, there is a huge selection of healthy foods in the supermarkets, so while at home we have no problems but when we vacation, we don't expect the same variety of healthy food items. But I totally hear ya about the sweet potato...and I don't mind packing some wine but I draw the line on bringing my own sweet potatoes :eek::D

As another poster said " I don't cruise for the food" We have found the food in the main DR to be good. If we want a better quality steak, fish we go to the Pinnacle Grill. Some time we just go to the Lido. We love the pasta station. My feeling is leave the DR memu the way it is.

One of the advantages of cruising is having most of the trip paid for before sailing. I agree - I don't like being nickled and dimed - think airlines. You get a good price on your airline ticket - and then it doubles when you add luggage and who know what else! What would your final bill look like if you add extra for every meal you eat.

Funny you should post this, I was just thinking about having to check the final bill with all those little charges on it.

One of the things I disliked about one of our NCL cruises was the deposits charged for things. Our cabin didn't have a hairdryer, so I went to the front desk to ask if one could be put in my room. "We have them here, there's a $20 deposit, and you must return it to the desk to get your account credited." I borrowed a book from the library. Another $20 deposit. And the book only cost $14.95!!!! The deposits and returns on things made the final bill a mess to sort out.

Not at all. Aqua class is a "excercise in the spa and low-calorie dining class", not a "pamper me with luxury" class. It is much less expensive than Celebrity's deluxe suites. This is clearly explained in their literature.

igraf

This is the sort of pretend elite and class systen that mass market lines are introducing to delude their passengers into beleiving they have special class and status akin to "first class or luxury" service ....

Funny you should post this, I was just thinking about having to check the final bill with all those little charges on it.

One of the things I disliked about one of our NCL cruises was the deposits charged for things. Our cabin didn't have a hairdryer, so I went to the front desk to ask if one could be put in my room. "We have them here, there's a $20 deposit, and you must return it to the desk to get your account credited." I borrowed a book from the library. Another $20 deposit. And the book only cost $14.95!!!! The deposits and returns on things made the final bill a mess to sort out.

Which NCL ship and when ?? I have cruised extensively on NCL and never encountered this.

<snip>

<snip>

Sail, in Canada our so called Left Coast is known as a region of heightened health awareness, with more people living a healthy lifestyle. So much so, that if you Google "Canada Left Coast" you'll find an organic food company!

http://www.leftcoastnaturals.com/

However, one Canadian grocery giant, Loblaws (which has stores under a multitude of names) has turned their house brands, "President's Choice" and "Blue Menu" into showcases for unusual products at popular prices. They launch new products with a several times a year flyer, "Insider's Report". Despite living in a small town NOT on the west coast, I suspect I discovered quinoa before 90% of my U.S. counterparts.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program :o

Which NCL ship and when ?? I have cruised extensively on NCL and never encountered this.

Our first cruise on the Norway. It was quite a shock. Our previous NCL cruises had been good. I called it the Twenty Dollar Cruise because every time we turned around, there was another $20 deposit for something.

The book deposit was stupid. You sign out the book on your room number, so if you don't return it THEN they can bill you. The hair dryer really annoyed me. We were told specifically to take it back to the front desk. If we simply left it in the cabin, we would not get the $20 back. (Hair dryers were supposed to have been provided in the cabin, so this whole thing should not have happened.) It was incredibly ungracious, and we did not feel welcomed at all.

It's amazing that we went on her a second time, but we gave her one more chance. They were running her on the cheap and she was getting shabby. But we were in a suite that time, and were treated better. And so we get back to the title of the thread. Pay more, get more.

Our first cruise on the Norway. It was quite a shock. Our previous NCL cruises had been good. I called it the Twenty Dollar Cruise because every time we turned around, there was another $20 deposit for something.

The book deposit was stupid. You sign out the book on your room number, so if you don't return it THEN they can bill you. The hair dryer really annoyed me. We were told specifically to take it back to the front desk. If we simply left it in the cabin, we would not get the $20 back. (Hair dryers were supposed to have been provided in the cabin, so this whole thing should not have happened.) It was incredibly ungracious, and we did not feel welcomed at all.

It's amazing that we went on her a second time, but we gave her one more chance. They were running her on the cheap and she was getting shabby. But we were in a suite that time, and were treated better. And so we get back to the title of the thread. Pay more, get more.

March 17, 2004: Norwegian Cruise Line’s announced via its website: “(Colin) Veitch announced that regretfully the S/S NORWAY would not return to the North American cruise market. The company continues to evaluate appropriate options for the vessel”. It was decided not to re-engine the ship due to the expense. It is reported that plans for her use as a static hotel ship are being examined but that she will not be docked in the US.

Re above -- Norway has been out of the NCL fleet for over eight yerars, and NCL has made many changes in their operation since.

All cruise lines have changed in the last few years, and what happened in the past is not applicable now.

March 17, 2004: Norwegian Cruise Line’s announced via its website: “(Colin) Veitch announced that regretfully the S/S NORWAY would not return to the North American cruise market. The company continues to evaluate appropriate options for the vessel”. It was decided not to re-engine the ship due to the expense. It is reported that plans for her use as a static hotel ship are being examined but that she will not be docked in the US.

Re above -- Norway has been out of the NCL fleet for over eight yerars, and NCL has made many changes in their operation since.

All cruise lines have changed in the last few years, and what happened in the past is not applicable now.

I know how long the Norway has been gone. My post was an example of an onboard account made complicated by "nickel and diming," in response to someone else's comment about complicated bills. Although, now that you make me think about it, NCL likes to be a leader in trends, so maybe this was an experiment to see how "pay more get more" would work.

Your request are merely routine and easily done on high end luxury lines.. you can even design your own menue.. exactly as you want. with 400 to 700 pasengers

However, when your on Holland America, your savings in fare translate in compromise in flexability with 14oo to 2100. They simply cant vere off a very narrow track

You get what you pay for,

I wonder.......

How would you feel about HAL offering two dinner menus in MDR?

At the time of booking, how about if they offer Dining Room Plan A or Dining Room Plan B? Pay a little more and get a more deluxe, luxurious menu with some of those offerings we used to have but no longer are an option. I miss Dover Sole, for example, and if given the opportunity to order that by paying a bit more for a different menu was available, I might do that.

What do you think?

I think this would make things worse. The kitchen can only handle so many entrees. Is this what Pinnacle is for? They have some nice menu items.

Your request are merely routine and easily done on high end luxury lines.. you can even design your own menue.. exactly as you want. with 400 to 700 pasengers

However, when your on Holland America, your savings in fare translate in compromise in flexability with 14oo to 2100. They simply cant vere off a very narrow track

the bolding is mine - you seem to have left the Prinsendam out of the equation - she has nowhere near that number of passengers:D

And several of the other ships only have around 1250 passengers - far cry from the 1400:p

We don't wish to sail such small ships. They don't hold the appeal for us they do for some others.

As to savings in fare, the cabins we choose to book are hardly a savings. Yes, I understand your position about paying the highest fares on what you consider a mass market ship is not a sensible thing to do but it is our choice to do and have done so for coming up to 80 HAL cruises. One can safely say we like HAL way too much to bail out over a dish of whole grain pasta. I also know we are not the only ones who choose to book those higher priced cabins on HAL rather than spend a like sum of money on Seabourn, Silversea, Azamarra, Regent and definitely not Crystal. It's great we have all these choices. I don't wish to sail on a 30,000 ton ship with 600 guests. We would sail Prinsendam but otherwise the "S" class are the smallest we now are happy on.

For us, food on a ship is so secondary to the People of HAL.

But I still wish I could have whole wheat pasta in Lido at lunch and a baked sweet potato at dinner in MDR. I still think that easy enough to add and enough people would welcome it for it to seriously be considered.

I think I need to be more pro-active about trying to get it offered. :D

the bolding is mine - you seem to have left the Prinsendam out of the equation - she has nowhere near that number of passengers:D

And several of the other ships only have around 1250 passengers - far cry from the 1400:p

You're correct, Jacqui. :)

Archived