Princess and Celebrity

dinosaurdem

We sail both Princess and Celebrity and are booked on Celebrity for 15 days in December, and Princess for 32 days in April and May. I read both CC boards. It seems that when comparisons are made Princess fans are quite critical of Celebrity and sometimes seem angry, even if they have never sailed Celebrity. Celebrity fans more often seem to write that they prefer Celebrity, but enjoy sailing Princess. Has anyone else noticed this and, if so, what's it all about?

I think it's like sports teams. Everyone has their favorite & cheers their "team" & "boos" the other. I don't think it's unique to Princess though. While lurking for several months on the various cruise line boards to figure who to go with, I noticed that they ALL do it. And I've seen some pretty bad things said about Princess.

Looks like you came up with this "theory" based on a single thread on the Celebrity board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1680480

...and as one of the so-called "angry" Princess fans who responded let me just say that your theory is a giant flaming pile. Princess is a far more egalitarian cruise line than Celebrity and the boards reflect exactly that. Every time I look at the Celebrity boards there are new threads that exist just for a Elite-member gather-round-the-campfire-singalong of the praises of Celebrity. Many, many reviews of Celebrity ships are nothing but rose-colored-glasses praising of the benefits Elite members get. On the Princess board a first-timer who asks questions gets actual answers, rather than a mash up of rah-rah cheerleading with a dash of "Celebrity's way is the only correct way". Since you have made your opinion as to what is right and wrong on cruisecritic known, you are free to hang out at the boards you like, while I will carry on warning those contemplating their first Celebrity cruise how badly they will be looked down upon onboard because they are not Elite.

I agree with Fishywood on the first time cruiser thing on the Princess boards. I've gotten A LOT of good info from friendly people. It makes me REALLY excited for our first Princess cruise next May.

Looks like you came up with this "theory" based on a single thread on the Celebrity board:

...and as one of the so-called "angry" Princess fans who responded let me just say that your theory is a giant flaming pile. Princess is a far more egalitarian cruise line than Celebrity and the boards reflect exactly that. Every time I look at the Celebrity boards there are new threads that exist just for a Elite-member gather-round-the-campfire-singalong of the praises of Celebrity. Many, many reviews of Celebrity ships are nothing but rose-colored-glasses praising of the benefits Elite members get. On the Princess board a first-timer who asks questions gets actual answers, rather than a mash up of rah-rah cheerleading with a dash of "Celebrity's way is the only correct way". Since you have made your opinion as to what is right and wrong on cruisecritic known, you are free to hang out at the boards you like, while I will carry on warning those contemplating their first Celebrity cruise how badly they will be looked down upon onboard because they are not Elite.

I posted the same message on both boards and this post explemplifies the level of emotion some people exhibit about "their" cruiseline. Interesting. Thank you for permission to "hang out". I don't believe I have ever characterized a cruise line's behavior as right or wrong, only indicated my preference.As I said before, I do cruise both lines and Azamara. I would like to try HAL. By the way, have you ever sailed Celebrity?

I posted the same message on both boards and this post explemplifies the level of emotion some people exhibit about "their" cruiseline. Interesting. Thank you for permission to "hang out". I don't believe I have ever characterized a cruise line's behavior as right or wrong, only indicated my preference.As I said before, I do cruise both lines and Azamara. I would like to try HAL. By the way, have you ever sailed Celebrity?
I think perhaps one reason is that Celebrity touts itself as a premier cruise line, better than HAL and Princess, so it's a bit of a shock and let down to take a Celebrity cruise and find that they not only aren't better, they're worse in some respects that aren't subjective and can negatively impact your cruise. A lot has to do with perception and expectations.

I think perhaps one reason is that Celebrity touts itself as a premier cruise line, better than HAL and Princess, so it's a bit of a shock and let down to take a Celebrity cruise and find that they not only aren't better, they're worse in some respects that aren't subjective and can negatively impact your cruise. A lot has to do with perception and expectations.

Very much agree with you, Pam. Celebrity is a WONDERFUL cruise line ... but people often do over expect because of all the hype.

We very much enjoy cruising on Celebrity ... but we don't find it a notch above Princess or HAL. Princess is the best all round fit for us but we also enjoy cruising on Celebrity. Neither is better ... just a bit different in some ways.

LuLu

We sail both Princess and Celebrity and are booked on Celebrity for 15 days in December, and Princess for 32 days in April and May. I read both CC boards. It seems that when comparisons are made Princess fans are quite critical of Celebrity and sometimes seem angry, even if they have never sailed Celebrity. Celebrity fans more often seem to write that they prefer Celebrity, but enjoy sailing Princess. Has anyone else noticed this and, if so, what's it all about?

Yes I have. But not as in wide terms as you mentioned it.

Personally, I have no problem sailing with either cruise line.

I was following the Celebrity board a lot preparing for a Caribbean cruise last January, and I have been following the Princess board for a while now preparing for Alaska next summer.

My impression (non-scientific but based on many threads on both boards) is that Celebrity fans have split personalities. Ask which cruise line is best, and it's all rah-rah Celebrity. But then they turn around and start many threads about how Celebrity isn't what it used to be. The latter was quite depressing as our first Celebrity cruise approached. Luckily the product turned out to be quite good.

I'm hoping (expecting) that we will enjoy Princess just as much--after all, the ship doesn't have to be that good with Alaska as the backdrop...

I find Celebrity and Princess more alike than different, but I prefer Princess. I've done a lot of reading on both boards. I actually felt that the X board was more critical of Princess than vice versa. I often read really balanced opinions on the Princess board. I read balanced opinions on the Celebrity board, but it seemed less so to me. I think the person who mentioned that Celebrity touts itself as a step above Princess is true. I don't see it that way at all from my experience. While I enjoyed my Celebrity cruise, I didn't find much about it being better.

I haven't noticed that.

Actually I do not pay attention to aggressive and insulting remarks.

It's a special skill - "how to read reviews".

Pay attention to factual reports. Don't measure the level of aggressiveness. Measure the level of competence. You'll see the difference.

I cruise with all major cruise lines and can compare.

This is my post from Celebrity board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34477949&postcount=6

I have never sailed Princess. First cruise on Princess will be in 2013.

I have sailed Celeberity & have always had a great time. Good food, service

& nice ships.

I am expecting the same when we sail Princess. We tend to focus on the positive on all our vacations & so far always a good time.

WOW, just WOW! I just got off a Celebrity TA and loved it - my 1st Celebrity cruise after several on HAL - and their roll call was excellent as well. I'll try to keep an open mind in 5 weeks when I head off to my 1st Princess cruise. More egalitarian? we'll see.

We have sailed with Celebrity several times and with Princess once. We don't choose our cruise because of the cruiseline, we choose it because of the itinerary. Sometimes we will try out a cruiseline like we did with Disney just to see what it's like, but more often than not we do it because of the itinerary. We tried out Carnival and didnt like it, so we decided not to cruise with Carnival again. Just our personal preference.

Our last cruise was this past June on the Celebrity Eclipse and we booked our next cruise onboard for next yr to the Adriatic, yet when we came home we found a cruise on Princess that had a much nicer itinerary so we booked it and are cancelling the one on Celebrity.

We don't care about the levels any cruiseline gives, we don't cruise to be silver, gold or diamond, we cruise to see the world. The only coupon we have ever used from those books we get is the coupon to have items pressed and the one for the internet. :D

We have met very snobby people on all cruiselines we have sailed, so it's not just one or the other, it's the way some people behave, not necessarily the cruiseline they take.

Just an example.

I spent some time to prepare a precise answer to a question.

See what "thank you" I got.

It seems those who haunt the Celebrity boards are much more prone to "attack" than those on Princess boards.

Some of them go for the throat if you ask a controversial question !!!

In reality, it diverted my attention from looking at a Celebrity cruise. I will choose Princess in the future.

I have sailed Princess 4 times and X once and overall they do a fine job I think. We are taking our 2nd X cruise in the fall so obviously things worked out well the 1st. Both to me deliver a fine product.

I was astounded however to see how my 99% positive review of our X cruise was was flamed on that board for the one problem we did have which X, after some doing, decided to offer us $240.00 OBC. They don't do that for nothing but it does see, as if there are ardent supporters who seem to circle the wagons so to speak. Hey, nothing is perfect and the issue was resolved so just acept it and more on.

Overall I think both deliver a fine experience. JM2C .

I have sailed Princess 4 times and X once and overall they do a fine job I think. We are taking our 2nd X cruise in the fall so obviously things worked out well the 1st. Both to me deliver a fine product.

I was astounded however to see how my 99% positive review of our X cruise was was flamed on that board for the one problem we did have which X, after some doing, decided to offer us $240.00 OBC. They don't do that for nothing but it does see, as if there are ardent supporters who seem to circle the wagons so to speak. Hey, nothing is perfect and the issue was resolved so just acept it and more on.

Overall I think both deliver a fine experience. JM2C .

The biggest mistake anyone can make is to make cruise or vacation decisions based on the opinions of fanboys on the cruise line boards on Cruise Critic. I wouldn't give the person who flamed you a second thought.

We haven't been on a Celebrity cruise yet, but also aren't concerned about the negative posts on Princess of the evils of "Solsticization". The ships look nice, even though some of the more open minded folks on the Celebrity boards see a bad trend with the Silhouette and the private cabanas taking over the lawn (much as they will the lotus pool on the new Royal Princess). We really like the Constellation's Baltic itinerary and will probably do it in a couple of years. To us, original port of embarcation or disembarkation is often as important or more important than the ship itself.

The biggest mistake anyone can make is to make cruise or vacation decisions based on the opinions of fanboys on the cruise line boards on Cruise Critic. I wouldn't give the person who flamed you a second thought.

We haven't been on a Celebrity cruise yet, but also aren't concerned about the negative posts on Princess of the evils of "Solsticization". The ships look nice, even though some of the more open minded folks on the Celebrity boards see a bad trend with the Silhouette and the private cabanas taking over the lawn (much as they will the lotus pool on the new Royal Princess). We really like the Constellation's Baltic itinerary and will probably do it in a couple of years. To us, original port of embarcation or disembarkation is often as important or more important than the ship itself.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I could not believe how inane some of the comments were. Some folks never heard of the win-win I suppose. Finally a poster added some reason and told everyone to cool off so it sort of ended that way. I always say its easy to take shots ofver the www but face to face is different. C'est la vie.

BTW we were on the Connie and really liked it. We had dinner one night at the Tuscan grill which I highly recommend.

Happy sailing, Larry :)

Archived