Dad sick.... now what?

NKsDogWalker

My family is due to go on a 5 days cruise for Christmas this year. Mom has not let any of us know what line or where... just told us the dates (I kinda used the process of elimination to pick the ship for my siggy). My dad got very ill and had brain surgery the last week in July. Needless to say we are all very worried about him. The cruise had come up a few times because we are talking to dad and telling him he HAS to get better so we can go (trying anything to motivate him to get better). The fact is... he can barely open his eyes at this point and even if recovery does come it will be very slow. Mom has not purchased trip insurance (she said, "I have not yet." like she thinks she can if something happens... I don't really know how that works).

I am a pretty proactive person and try to get things done before panic time comes. Any suggestions? Dad is only 66... so this came as a shock to all of us.

Wow, I hope your dad feels better soon.

Since it's a December cruise, there has likely to-date been a refundable deposit made; no final payments are due yet. I'd reassess this at that time (Sept/Oct).

Hope you all get to go. Cruises are therapeutic and healing to me!

Sorry about your Dad

If going at Christmas you still have time to cancel but she will have to make a decision soon before final payment date

Check if there is a fee charged by the TA (if she used one) or if the deposit was nonrefundable

Pretty hard to give advice without knowing the cruise line policy

I doubt if she would be able to buy insurance now that would cover your Dad's condition

It might be better to cancel & wait to see closer to the sailing or choose another cruise when things settle down

Good luck

My family is due to go on a 5 days cruise for Christmas this year. Mom has not let any of us know what line or where... just told us the dates (I kinda used the process of elimination to pick the ship for my siggy). My dad got very ill and had brain surgery the last week in July. Needless to say we are all very worried about him. The cruise had come up a few times because we are talking to dad and telling him he HAS to get better so we can go (trying anything to motivate him to get better). The fact is... he can barely open his eyes at this point and even if recovery does come it will be very slow. Mom has not purchased trip insurance (she said, "I have not yet." like she thinks she can if something happens... I don't really know how that works).

I am a pretty proactive person and try to get things done before panic time comes. Any suggestions? Dad is only 66... so this came as a shock to all of us.

Sorry about your Dad. You need to talk to your Mom and find out the cruiseline and ship. Royal Caribbean has 2 ships leaving on 5 day cruise on the date in your signature so it could be them. If it is Royal Caribbean, final payent date for a holiday cruise is due 90 days prior to your sailing. If you cancel prior to final payment, you can get your deposit back, after final, you will start losing some of your money based on when you cancel. If it is a different cruise line, you will need to find out their cancellation policy.

Talk to your Mom and find out how this cruise is booked and then contact either the cruise line directly or whatever travel agent she might have used. Just don't wait too long so you don't lose your deposits.

Since it's a December cruise, there has likely to-date been a refundable deposit made; no final payments are due yet. I'd reassess this at that time (Sept/Oct).
.... and mark the final payment date very prominently on your calendars so that you remain very aware of it, in case you need to cancel.

Best wishes to your Dad for a speedy recovery.

Another reminder to us all to take these trips while we still can since none of us know what tomorrow may bring.

I'm sorry to hear this. No one can now purchase insurance to cover this; it's a known and pre-exisiting condition. It would be like buying house insurance after your house caught on fire. You just can't do it.

As already suggested, you are going to have to make some decisions about this cruise. You either need to be willing to lose your money if something happens and you can't go, or cancel your cruise before you enter the penalty phase. Are you 100% sure she even actually booked this cruise? It seems quite odd she hasn't told you the dates or the cruise line. Is this typical behavior for her?

Sounds as if your mom is not perhaps in the best shape to be making these decisions. Can she afford to lose this money? If not, you really need to get her to cancel.

You can always rebook, but your dad needs the attention right now.

Sorry to hear about your Dad and hope he makes a wonderful recovery.

I agree with the posters who suggest you give it a little time, speak with his doctors and pay close attention to date final payment is due. If at that time, it does not seem Dad will be able to travel, you hopefully will get refund of deposits.

You didn't mention air travel. Has anyone purchased plane tickets yet?

If your Mom used a TA, it would be good to keep him or her in the loop.

Sorry. You cannot purchase insurance now. Too late. This is a known event so cannot be covered 'after the fact'.

Archived