Royal does away with bag tags...except for Suite and Pinnacle guests

Whilst the cruise tag holders shown below (sold in the UK and Canada) are not for RCI, they do give an idea of the differing widths. The printed e-tags for P&O, Princess, Cunard etc. (when folded) are wider and are a snug fit inside the vinyl wallets. As you can see Celebrity (and I assume RCI) require more folds and are, as a result, narrower.

Given the RCI tags seem on a par with those issued by Celebrity I'd probably wait until arriving at the pier before putting them onto my luggage e.g. just before handing my bags over to the porters. It seems 'unlikely' the folded paper would slip out, but I wouldn't like to test it through an airline baggage handling system. Another suggestion might be to place a staple in the top opening/flap to prevent the tag falling out once inside.

Fgallery26-4.jpg

since one will be printing and folding them without supervision, one might be able fold the paper outside the lines to generate a wider tag with white edges if one wants a snug fit in the holder.

This is the first I have heard of the holders and may consider buying them at some point. For now, I will use packing tape and a hole punch at home, then secure use twist ties through holes to secure tags to bags on day of cruise.

Instead of looking at this about being about luggage tags, think about it as being about your luggage showing up, or not, in your cabin.

In reality, it IS about the luggage tags. It is also about a perceived loss. We live in a digital/computer world; tags can be and ARE printed by thousands of cruiseline passengers every day. If the printing of tags resulted in passengers not receiving their bags on the ship, you would know about it--BIG TIME...Oh, and this IS a hilarious reason to panic. :) (now if your Captain has been labeled a 'rouge'...):eek: Panic!

Luggage tags, smuggage tags. It is a very minor inconvenience. Holland America doesn't give luggage tags and I thought it would be a bigger deal than what it turned out to be. It turned out that after the paper was folded, it was stronger than the tags provided by RCI.

Starry Eyes

Since one will be printing and folding them without supervision, one might be able fold the paper outside the lines to generate a wider tag with white edges if one wants a snug fit in the holder.
Yes you could simply ignore the fold lines and make wider yourself.

tag_folded2.jpg.af806c42fc0bc2880e566659e5db1cdc.jpg

since one will be printing and folding them without supervision, one might be able fold the paper outside the lines to generate a wider tag with white edges if one wants a snug fit in the holder.

This is the first I have heard of the holders and may consider buying them at some point. For now, I will use packing tape and a hole punch at home, then secure use twist ties through holes to secure tags to bags on day of cruise.

My goodness, you are the crafty one. ;) Who'd have thought this up!?! :)

Gina

WOW, ten pages on luggage tags.......

For the record I like the tags and get excited when they come in the mail. However, like many, if they are gonna cut costs this is one acceptable area. I normally book suites so at this point not really affected but that could change.

WOW, ten pages on luggage tags.......

For the record I like the tags and get excited when they come in the mail. However, like many, if they are gonna cut costs this is one acceptable area. I normally book suites so at this point not really affected but that could change.

I think we've all gotten used to the many cutbacks, ongoing over the years. But, I find this one particularly puzzling. The tags are not as expensive as when they were included in the glossy ticket books, back in the days of paper docs. Furthermore, they only send them to those pax who request them. So, if RC has no money to print and mail luggage tags, how do they justify the barrage of junk-mail that they send to us, whether we want it or not? :confused:

I think we've all gotten used to the many cutbacks, ongoing over the years. But, I find this one particularly puzzling. The tags are not as expensive as when they were included in the glossy ticket books, back in the days of paper docs. Furthermore, they only send them to those pax who request them. So, if RC has no money to print and mail luggage tags, how do they justify the barrage of junk-mail that they send to us, whether we want it or not? :confused:

You can unsubscribe from any/all emails from RCI.

So, if RC has no money to print and mail luggage tags, how do they justify the barrage of junk-mail that they send to us, whether we want it or not? :confused:

That's a good point. My question is, if it's so easy to print them out yourself or fill them out at the pier, why continue to give them to suite guests and Pinnacle? Why not just say, "no more luggage tags"?

So true. My only guess. You said your sailing is 23rd. Mine is 24th. So maybe I'll get the link for the tags tomorrow. Doubtful but you never know

Mine is the 14th. No luggage tag button, no edocs.

I don't mind doing our own printing, folding, laminating, etc. It's a sign of the times. I DO mind not getting emails, mail outs, and edocs, and no one able to fix the problem. :(

So, if RC has no money to print and mail luggage tags, how do they justify the barrage of junk-mail that they send to us, whether we want it or not? :confused:

I'm not sure I would call it a barrage. I don't get nearly as much mailing from RCI as I do from cruise lines I haven't even been on....like Princess and Windstar. Besides, I would imagine the cost for advertising is more justifiable than for something like luggage tags on already booked cruises.

Instead of looking at this about being about luggage tags, think about it as being about your luggage showing up, or not, in your cabin.

I always know where to get my luggage...the naughty room! Tags are worthless when the bags go directly there! LOL.

Just for my own personal nosiness :o where did you find this? I have been searching the site and haven't spotted it.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Just went over to the RC website, and the current posted info on luggage tags says nothing about this.

BajaThree (the OP) did you get this info in an e-mail, or did you find it somewhere on RC's website? We've been hearing rumors for over a year now that the luggage tags are going away. Just trying to confirm this written report. :confused:

Boo hoo! This won't ruin my day but it does disappoint me a little. I have never requested luggage tags (didn't know you could) and was anxiously awaiting the opportunity to do so for my cruise on the Allure in October and now...

Oh well, never had them before, so I probably won't miss them. :)

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Just went over to the RC website, and the current posted info on luggage tags says nothing about this.

BajaThree (the OP) did you get this info in an e-mail, or did you find it somewhere on RC's website? We've been hearing rumors for over a year now that the luggage tags are going away. Just trying to confirm this written report. :confused:

I posted a link yesterday on this thread. Several others directed readers to the bottom of RCI's home page, and to click on Cruising Power link and look for the luggage tag alert on their home page (no need to sign in).

Here it is AGAIN!!

https://secure.cruisingpower.com/public/alert.do

Mine is the 14th. No luggage tag button, no edocs.

I don't mind doing our own printing, folding, laminating, etc. It's a sign of the times. I DO mind not getting emails, mail outs, and edocs, and no one able to fix the problem. :(

I already got my next cruise luggage tags. But since the button is still available, I feel like clicking it again and getting more as souvenirs. :D I think they can be requested 3 times before the button goes away.

Gina

I was told that the last hard copy newsletter that told about the December celebration would be the last real paper mailing that would be sent out. RCI told me this (for what it's worth) when I inquired as to why I was no longer receiving real mail from them. I wanted a copy of that newsletter and hadn't gotten one. Of course it showed up in the mail the day after I contacted them. I happen to believe it will be the last real mail from them.

I also got a newsletter in the mail from priority club rewards (holiday inn). On it was a notation that it would be the last hard copy of their newsletter. I could sign up for e-statements and earn 500 points. Or I could not sign up for it and not get the points but that is they way it will be coming anyway - email. I took the free points.

Gina

I posted a link yesterday on this thread. Several others directed readers to the bottom of RCI's home page, and to click on Cruising Power link and look for the luggage tag alert on their home page (no need to sign in).

Thank you! I scanned through this thread, but missed your link. :o

You can unsubscribe from any/all emails from RCI.

I think he's talking about regular mail. I get things from Royal on a regular basis via USPS.

Yes, I was referring to "snail mail", rather than e-mail. In the past, I have enjoyed looking through the various glossy cards and flyers I get from RC. But, from now on, I'm afraid that my reaction will be: "They can mail these out, but....:mad:"

(Oh, and Marci, I'm a "she" -- my DH is the "silent partner" of wwcruisers. :p ;))

Archived