Rotterdam V and VI

Duddy

Last summer I had an adventure on 3-5 ships, I'll let you decide the number you count as ships:

Transatlantic, NY to Rotterdam on MS Rotterdam 6

2 Nights on SS Rotterdam 5

Ferry Stena Britanica to England

Prinsendam London-Arctic-Edinbrugh

QM2 Southampton to NY

Here are a few pictures

SS Rotterdam from Promenade Deck of MS Rotterdam

ss5fromms6.jpg

MS Rotterdam leaving Rotterdam from Promenade Deck of SS Rotterdam

byems6a.jpg

byems6c.jpg

Roy

Great to see her again. My husband and I took our first cruise on her and got hooked on HAL and cruising. I have not yet sailed on her namesake but have enjoyed every class ship that HAL has since then (except the Pristendam which we will correct in 2014) I still enjoy my pictures of us on the "old" Rotterdam in the "smoking room" which of course is now completely obsolete. I remember how stunned I was that the bartender remembered what I liked and had it waiting for me each day. Nice memories.

By the way, it looks like the OP has not sailed an R/S class ship. The "frame" through which the SS Rotterdam was viewed was one of the little oval cuts immediately in front of the lifeboats and pretty much under the bridge.

I sailed the SS Rotterdam on her final Alaska season.

Roy

Since the Rotterdam V is now a hotel in Holland, has the Rotterdam VI ever passed her predecessor in the channel? If so, does anyone have any pictures?

Thanks

~ Bob ~

As a matter of fact, the two Rotterdams passed each other as recent as last Saturday, August 4th while in the port of Rotterdam and with VI on her way to Norway. The captain on Rotterdam VI, Sijbe de Boer, sounded his ship's whistle several times, and this was answered by Rotterdam V. I did not know V still had a working whistle; pretty cool to watch/listen to:)

Last summer I had an adventure on 3-5 ships, I'll let you decide the number you count as ships:

QM2 Southampton to NY

Here are a few pictures

ss5fromms6.jpg

byems6a.jpg

byems6c.jpg

Roy

Great pictures -- thanks for sharing.

Rotterdam V sure looks strange with white hull.

It's grey topped with white, which (I believe) was her original color. It was only later on that HAL went to the dark blue hulls topped with white.

It's grey topped with white, which (I believe) was her original color. It was only later on that HAL went to the dark blue hulls topped with white.

Yes, those were her original colors. HAL didn't go to the "midnight blue" hull until the very early 1970s (the same time the orange funnel with the three "waves" appeared). Only the Nieuw Amsterdam (of 1938) survived in the dove grey livery until her retirement in 1974 (or was it '73?). The dove grey, however, didn't appear until the '50s. The hulls were black and white before that (Nieuw Amsterdam first sailed as a black and white ship).

QM2 Southampton to NY

Here are a few pictures

ss5fromms6.jpg

byems6a.jpg

byems6c.jpg

Roy

Good Pictures! Thank you for sharing them!!!!

Wow! Lots of great posts here! Great pics Roy. Nice :) If anyone finds a pic with both ships in it, please let me know.

I seemed to have misplaced all the old brochures. Does anyone have Rotterdam V deck plans? I've searched all over Google with no leads :rolleyes:

Thanks

~ Bob ~

I think getting the 2 together would be a bit of a challenge, the SS Rotterdam sits on a different channel from the one leading to the port; they pass within half a mile of each other but a vantage point to photograph the 2 together would be difficult, This is what I have for deck plans:

Rotterdam as an active ship:

http://arctictriple.wordpress.com/deckplan/

In her current state:

http://arctictriple.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/hotelrdeckplan.pdf

Roy

I think getting the 2 together would be a bit of a challenge, the SS Rotterdam sits on a different channel from the one leading to the port; they pass within half a mile of each other but a vantage point to photograph the 2 together would be difficult, This is what I have for deck plans:

Rotterdam as an active ship:

http://arctictriple.wordpress.com/deckplan/

In her current state:

http://arctictriple.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/hotelrdeckplan.pdf

Roy

Thanks Roy. Very nice. Is that your website? I was actually hoping to make a trip and actually in of my old staterooms. I just want recall which one until I see it closer

As a matter of fact, the two Rotterdams passed each other as recent as last Saturday, August 4th while in the port of Rotterdam and with VI on her way to Norway. The captain on Rotterdam VI, Sijbe de Boer, sounded his ship's whistle several times, and this was answered by Rotterdam V. I did not know V still had a working whistle; pretty cool to watch/listen to:)

Your post sent me through my video archive. My trip was before the (or at least my) level of webcam sailaway interest started and I didn't know what I was looking for at the time. This video is far longer than I'd like, but I think I understand now and believe the Rotterdam VI horn starts around the 2:00 mark, and the Rotterdam V responds 20 seconds later.

I know my Captain was Rik Krombeen but I believe he disembarked in Rotterdam with me.

Roy

Your post sent me through my video archive. My trip was before the (or at least my) level of webcam sailaway interest started and I didn't know what I was looking for at the time. This video is far longer than I'd like, but I think I understand now and believe the Rotterdam VI horn starts around the 2:00 mark, and the Rotterdam V responds 20 seconds later.

I know my Captain was Rik Krombeen but I believe he disembarked in Rotterdam with me.

Roy

Copy that! I was on Rotterdam Police Boat P5 at the time of Rotterdam VI departure (SAT 04 AUG). Unless changed, Capt. should have been Robert Jan Kan upon arrival in R'dam, replaced that day by Capt. de Boer

179.jpg

185.jpg

200.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures. My wife and I were on the eastbound Transatlantic (that Roy was on) last year.

We also sailed on the Rotterdam V on our honeymoon on November 25, 1964. It was a stormy day and the Israeli cruise ship, Shalom, was coming into the harbor and collided with (I believe) a fuel barge.

Good memories (not the collision) but the rest of the cruise!

Roy

Roy now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Great video! Thank you posting :)

Folks, if you have fond memories of the Rotterdam V, I found some very interesting websites. Helps to try something other than Google sometimes LOL

http://www.shipmotions.nl/DUT/PapersReports/1166-PRADS-98.pdf

http://www.stoomschiprotterdam.nl/EN/News.shtml

http://www.halpostcards.com/unofficial/rotvindx.html

http://pauldoorn.hyves.nl/album/64111012/SSRotterdam/xhiCuzS4/?pageid=8AUPQKZZ7PSSCC408

Enjoy!! :)