Price drop -- changing cabins ??

HamburgAvonLady

Am new to Hal --- have a message into my TA --- but know the answer to my ??? are on these boards. We currently have a SY on the Westerdam for this comimg Oct. (about 6 weeks to go) which I reserved back in 2011. Final payment was done end of June. Now, HAL is offering the SZ catagory on a "guarentee basis" at about $ 1400 per person LESS than the SY which I have. As these are the same size cabins (actually the 2 SZ on the Westerdam actually look larger as there is an angle in the room) --- I would not be losing anything cabin wise by moving. Being there are only 2 of these cabins on the entire ship --- what

are the chances of me being able to move and save some considerable money ???

I also don't know how the penalty stuff works IF I can change.

I am sure my TA would not be thrilled IF I can move as there will less commission in her pocket.

Thoughts, please.

If you read around the board, you will see some variant of this question almost every day. In your case, the answer is, technically, HAL isn't required to do anything. However, you may get an OBC that reflects some portion of the price difference, or you might get an upgrade that reflects some portion of the price difference.

Or you may not. It seems to vary in each situation.

However, you may get an OBC that reflects some portion of the price difference, or you might get an upgrade that reflects some portion of the price difference.

Or you may not. It seems to vary in each situation.

That's about it. I recently had my TA call HAL because the price for my HH guarantee had dropped by $600. The cruise is in October and final payment penalty time is in effect. I didn't expect anything but thought it was worth a try.

The result was an upgrade to E guarantee which is quite a good upgrade price wise. And it does guarantee a full ocean view too. So I was happy.

HAL won't refund any money after final payment. So you can't cancel to rebook. You would lose money per their penalty policy. But, they WILL upgrade you to a different ( higher cat.) room if the price is better than you originally paid. We have done that. Your TA has to do the negotiating. Note...if you had some obc attached to your original booking you might have to surrender that. So ask if they don't tell you upfront.

Actually, I won't get anything. TA explained this was a "sale" and the lower price was a "non-refundable" fare. IF I changed --- I would have to cancel my original booking at 100 % penalty. If the price drop had been in the SAME catagory --- that may have been a different outcome. Oh well, can't hurt to try --- that's what ??? are for, right ?

Actually there are only about 80 cabins still available for this cruise. Don't know whether that means the cruise is not selling well --- the Roll Call for our trip has over 130 members already !

If one books directly with HAL, how would this work out? Getting a very good private sale rate which I have until Tuesday to book. I believe final payment went into effect yesterday. The cruise seems underbook with cabins assignable in all but the lowest category cabins so I think the better categories will go lower (superior verandah cabins are discounted but the deluxes no so much currently..

Alot of times Hal will put cabins on sale after final payments. Your pretty much stuck after final payment on the price of your cruise/cabin. If you canceled, you would loss a very large portion of your monies, probably more then the savings. The lower price is only to draw in new busness.

HAL just did the same thing to me. $1,400 drop on the SY suite price a couple of days into the 90 day penalty period. Why would HAL consistantly abuse their passengers this way and advertise on their website, "BOOK EARLY AND SAVE". This is my last HAL cruise. :mad:

HAL just did the same thing to me. $1,400 drop on the SY suite price a couple of days into the 90 day penalty period. Why would HAL consistantly abuse their passengers this way and advertise on their website, "BOOK EARLY AND SAVE". This is my last HAL cruise. :mad:

What you are experiencing is pretty much the same on all cruise lines. This is not unique to HAL. Now you know if you can be flexible with dates, it is better to book within the last 90-days. Airfair then becomes more expensive... on short notice.

What you are experiencing is pretty much the same on all cruise lines. This is not unique to HAL. Now you know if you can be flexible with dates, it is better to book within the last 90-days. Airfair then becomes more expensive... on short notice.[/quote]

Some of us wouldn't even be able to get air on short notice -- not many flights out of our area.

What you are experiencing is pretty much the same on all cruise lines. This is not unique to HAL. Now you know if you can be flexible with dates, it is better to book within the last 90-days. Airfair then becomes more expensive... on short notice.[/quote]

Some of us wouldn't even be able to get air on short notice -- not many flights out of our area.

Very true and point well taken!

Actually, I won't get anything. TA explained this was a "sale" and the lower price was a "non-refundable" fare. IF I changed --- I would have to cancel my original booking at 100 % penalty. If the price drop had been in the SAME catagory --- that may have been a different outcome. Oh well, can't hurt to try --- that's what ??? are for, right ?

Actually there are only about 80 cabins still available for this cruise. Don't know whether that means the cruise is not selling well --- the Roll Call for our trip has over 130 members already !

This is a very strange cruise because it is repositioning. We took the SZ you were speaking of but have not yet got an assignment.

I think you are on for the long haul. We are only on from Vancouver to San Diego. My husband just discovered this morning that we could have added another day & got on in Seattle. He wanted me to add that on but I told him I would lose my airfare that I already booked to Vancouver.

So many complications! I do wish I knew about the Seattle boarding earlier, though.

We are only on from Vancouver to San Diego. My husband just discovered this morning that we could have added another day & got on in Seattle. He wanted me to add that on but I told him I would lose my airfare that I already booked to Vancouver.

So many complications! I do wish I knew about the Seattle boarding earlier, though.

I think this violates the PVSA. You have to change ships in Vancouver. Can't sail on the same day on the same ship.

Am new to Hal --- have a message into my TA --- but know the answer to my ??? are on these boards. We currently have a SY on the Westerdam for this comimg Oct. (about 6 weeks to go) which I reserved back in 2011. Final payment was done end of June. Now, HAL is offering the SZ catagory on a "guarentee basis" at about $ 1400 per person LESS than the SY which I have. As these are the same size cabins (actually the 2 SZ on the Westerdam actually look larger as there is an angle in the room) --- I would not be losing anything cabin wise by moving. Being there are only 2 of these cabins on the entire ship --- what

are the chances of me being able to move and save some considerable money ???

I also don't know how the penalty stuff works IF I can change.

I am sure my TA would not be thrilled IF I can move as there will less commission in her pocket.

Thoughts, please.

These are left over cabins which are on Sale..It happens all the time, but I would ask you TA if he/she could try to get you an OBC or perhaps an up-Grade..

You know, you continue to call this abuse, which it is not!..:( Also most posters on your thread felt sorry for you & made suggestions to you..But now you seem to be carrying a grudge, which does not help you..Did you do what people suggested on your thread? Did you call HAL or your TA & ask for OBC or a Cabin Change?

If I were you I would never book another cruise, flight, or hotel room ever again..Because all cruise lines, Airlines, Travel suppliers & Hotels do the same thing..

This is all true of ALL businesses..You sound like you have never been in business before..Sales are always done in order to fill up hotels, flights & all cruise line ships..I know because I was in the Travel Business & saw it constantly..

Too bad you were caught in a price reduction, but your continuous maligning of HAL for doing things to fill their ships is counter-productive! And now people are not going to feel sorry for you any more or give you suggestions..

It seems to be making you happier to sit back & denegrate HAL forever!:rolleyes: Did it ever occur to you that your message about HAL's so called abuse is libelous?

I just asked my "personal representative" at HAL a similar question. We want to book a cruisetour for next summer but don't want to lose out on a price drop. He said we lose if the price drops within 75 days of the cruise but HAL would upgrade us to a cabin that was sale priced at what our paid in full price was.

We sail at the end of October and I noticed a $300 each drop in fares so called HAL. They took 24 hours and came back with a five level upgrade from an HH to an E and we are happy. Same price for a full ocean view near the center of the ship and not under the kitchen. HAL took good care of us so we have only praise to say about how they treat their customers.

Archived