Do you change C&A tiers during a cruise?

I currently have 29 cruise points, which doesn't make sense seeing as I have done 2 14 night cruises, but it doesn't really matter.

On my next cruise I will have 30 points after the first night, so will I become platinum on that cruise, or does it only apply to any future cruises?

I currently have 29 cruise points, which doesn't make sense seeing as I have done 2 14 night cruises, but it doesn't really matter.

On my next cruise I will have 30 points after the first night, so will I become platinum on that cruise, or does it only apply to any future cruises?

Technically, the points you earn on this cruise won't be applied until the cruise is over, so you shouldn't expect to become Platinum until you are home from your cruise. You can speak to the Loyalty Ambassador when you are onboard but don't be disappointed if you are told your new status won't take effect until your next cruise.:)

Your 2 14 day cruises must have been before the change from cruises to cruise points in January 2011. When they did the conversion the multiplied your number of cruises by 7 making it 28 cruise points. For those with 1 to 3 cruises they added one additional point. That makes your total 29:)

The only time you can "change" status mid trip is if you reach another tier after completing the first leg of a consecutive cruise. We did this a few years back and went from gold to platinum after the first leg of our back to back. Our sea pass cards did not have this pre-printed on them since the computer system did not have time to adjust.... but the loyalty ambassador gave us stickers to place on our cards and provided us with all the platinum coupons and invites.

Your 2 14 day cruises must have been before the change from cruises to cruise points in January 2011. When they did the conversion the multiplied your number of cruises by 7 making it 28 cruise points. For those with 1 to 3 cruises they added one additional point. That makes your total 29:)

When the Mertic Change for C & A Took place to

Nights @ Sea from Number of Cruises

We had 4 Cruises 9+7+7+7 =30

So We thought the we would be Paltnium But Royal Rouded us DOWN to 29 Cruise Points. We DID NOT Become Until after our First Leg of a B2B 5 Nights Loyalty Office Gave us Platinum Stickers to Put on Our Sea Pass Cards For the 2nd Led of our B2B

Great incentive to book another cruise :D

I am miles away from achieving any status but I would really like to. We are trying to cruise every second year and do land holidays in between, but I must admit with the children, cruising is a far easier holiday. Only unpacking once etc. Might book another for next year, just have to convince the hubby. ;)

When the Mertic Change for C & A Took place to

Nights @ Sea from Number of Cruises

We had 4 Cruises 9+7+7+7 =30

So We thought the we would be Paltnium But Royal Rouded us DOWN to 29 Cruise Points. We DID NOT Become Until after our First Leg of a B2B 5 Nights Loyalty Office Gave us Platinum Stickers to Put on Our Sea Pass Cards For the 2nd Led of our B2B

Not quite accurate. You had 4 cruise credits, which was one cruise shy of Platinum. After the conversion, you had 29 points, which was also one cruise shy of Platinum. The conversion kept you in exactly the same place.

I suspect a lot has to do with the loyalty ambassador. Last summer on Serenade I met a couple who went Diamond during the cruise and the LA gave them a sticker for their seapass card showing diamond but they didn't get any other benefits like a new coupon book or the higher cabin discount. I go Diamond during my next cruise which is a B2B, so I'll be Diamond on the second cruise. When I was booking it the C&A rep said I could get an OBC for the difference between Emerald and Diamond balcony discounts on the second cruise but it isn't much money and probably more trouble than it is worth.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your new loyalty level.

Ginnie

...theC&A rep said I could get an OBC for the difference between Emerald and Diamond balcony discounts on the second cruise but it isn't much money and probably more trouble than it is worth.

What? But why wouldn't you try for it anyway? Free is free - OBC is OBC. Wonderful!

I suspect a lot has to do with the loyalty ambassador. Last summer on Serenade I met a couple who went Diamond during the cruise and the LA gave them a sticker for their seapass card showing diamond but they didn't get any other benefits like a new coupon book or the higher cabin discount. I go Diamond during my next cruise which is a B2B, so I'll be Diamond on the second cruise. When I was booking it the C&A rep said I could get an OBC for the difference between Emerald and Diamond balcony discounts on the second cruise but it isn't much money and probably more trouble than it is worth.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your new loyalty level.

Ginnie

What? But why wouldn't you try for it anyway? Free is free - OBC is OBC. Wonderful!

I agree, get the OBC. For a 7 day cruise, the Diamond balcony discount is $100 more than the Emerald balcony discount.

• 2 months later...
Yup, all depends on the LA. Catch them in a good mood and let them understand that you are a very Loyal Cruiser and you'll probably have luck.

:)

Or not. Others have been quite upset at being treated dismissively by the LA for asking her to bend the rules for them.

We changed status to Platinum half way on last cruise but was not a big deal for us. Coupon book difference was minimal. We did ask cabin attendant for robes if they were available but they were not. Otherwise the change was a non-issue. Now, going forward balcony discount might be nice but bigger deal for us would be to try Celebrity at Captain's Club Select level benefits.

Or not. Others have been quite upset at being treated dismissively by the LA for asking her to bend the rules for them.

"Or not" is right... We became diamond mid cruise on 2nd leg of b2b on Grandeur last week and LA gave a resounding no to our polite inquiry. I had hoped she would take into consideration we have gone from gold to diamond in a year, so very loyal, but, it was to no avail.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off Adventure yesterday (my first B2B) and wanted to share my experience. A few days into the first cruise I had enough points to reach Diamond and I spoke with Yana, the assistant LA. Yana noted on the second cruise I would be Diamond and she made sure on the second cruise I got the Diamond Coupon book, welcome letter (showing the date for the backstage tour and other dates and information), Diamond pin (I hadn't gotten any pins previously, which is o.k. with me) and asked me to come back the first day of the cruise and so she could apply a Diamond sticker to my seapass card. I also got the second night cookies and a cheese plate later in the cruise. More importantly, b/c there is a difference between Emerald balcony discount and Diamond discount, she contacted Miami and had the difference ($100) credited back to my credit card which posted within two days.

I didn't ask to have the sticker applied the day I went Diamond but heard that someone else on the cruise (also a B2Ber) asked and was told they couldn't do it until the beginning of the second cruise.

BTW, these cruises were the best, save my first cruise. I can't stress enough how excellent the service was, even with the MDR being a bit uneven. Just loved the whole cruise from first day to last.

Happy Holidays!

Just off Adventure yesterday (my first B2B) and wanted to share my experience. A few days into the first cruise I had enough points to reach Diamond and I spoke with Yana, the assistant LA. Yana noted on the second cruise I would be Diamond and she made sure on the second cruise I got the Diamond Coupon book, welcome letter (showing the date for the backstage tour and other dates and information), Diamond pin (I hadn't gotten any pins previously, which is o.k. with me) and asked me to come back the first day of the cruise and so she could apply a Diamond sticker to my seapass card. I also got the second night cookies and a cheese plate later in the cruise. More importantly, b/c there is a difference between Emerald balcony discount and Diamond discount, she contacted Miami and had the difference ($100) credited back to my credit card which posted within two days.

I didn't ask to have the sticker applied the day I went Diamond but heard that someone else on the cruise (also a B2Ber) asked and was told they couldn't do it until the beginning of the second cruise.

BTW, these cruises were the best, save my first cruise. I can't stress enough how excellent the service was, even with the MDR being a bit uneven. Just loved the whole cruise from first day to last.

Happy Holidays!

A back-to-back is a different situation entirely. You had already completed the cruise on which you moved up a level so were absolutely entitled to the benefits on the second cruise. It's good that you brought it to the attention of the LA since it takes weeks for the cruiseline's computers to update your status.

Glad you had a great time.

Great incentive to book another cruise :D

I am miles away from achieving any status but I would really like to. We are trying to cruise every second year and do land holidays in between, but I must admit with the children, cruising is a far easier holiday. Only unpacking once etc. Might book another for next year, just have to convince the hubby. ;)

On the contrary. You have earned Gold status by completing one cruise with Royal Caribbean. While the higher you go, the more perks you get, you are already entitled to SOME perks as a Gold member.

Archived