Will husband be overdressed in tux?

Absolutely, Piers Brosnan, Daniel Craig, Sean Connery..... LOVE a man in a tuxedo!!!

only thing more sexy is a man in the dress uniform of his Branch of Service.. especially the Dinner Mess Dress.. complete with cummerbund and bowtie.

oh..and a kilt. even DH gets outshone by a man in a kilt... :cool:

After reading these replys I'm almost convinced. I've always worn a Tux but usually on cruises of 7 nights or more. I'm not so sure on the Monarch for a 4 night cruise. Does anyone wear a Tux on short cruises? I guess I need more convincing. :D

OP- thanks for asking this question. DH is going back and forth but he will need to rent a tux. This thread has convinced me that he should rent the tux. He will look smashing, I know.

No need to rent one....for just a little bit more, he can own one. Go to K&G Men's store, which has 6 or 7 locations in Maryland or the Men's Wearhouse. Why pay 75 for a rental when you can pay 150 and own a tux?

OMG - how wonderful!! He will be very sexy! Wear the Tux and who cares what anyone else is wearing = enjoy!:D

On a side note...some of my friends cruised back in 2008. In lauded in that group were two of my very best friends...male. One evening my best friend came to my cabin to pick up my girlfriend and I for dinner. He knocked...and when I opened that door he appeared in a tuxedo. I was so taken back at how handsome and sexy he looked. Long story short...8 months later I married my best friend :D:D:D. I don know...something about a man in a tuxedo that is very sexy.

Gentlemen...if any doubts in your minds, take it from me...your wife will love you dressing up for her as well as yourself.

Happy cruising!

Hi all

My husband likes to wear a tux ( it is really the same as a suit, or jacket and slacks). He plans to bring his tux on our upcoming Freedom cruise. Will he be overdressed compared to the other men on board.

Thanks. M

I wear a dinner suit, and I dont give a damn. It beats saying "I wear jeans and tee - will I look scruffy" :D

After reading these replys I'm almost convinced. I've always worn a Tux but usually on cruises of 7 nights or more. I'm not so sure on the Monarch for a 4 night cruise. Does anyone wear a Tux on short cruises? I guess I need more convincing. :D

We were on a 5 night to Bermuda in June and I didn't see 1 man in the MDR in a tux. Now I'll add we had MTD so we weren't entering with the masses but still I didn't see anyone. My husband wore slacks, a dress shirt and tie and didn't stand out as being an odd ball at all.

IMO if you want to wear a tux go ahead. If you just want to wear slacks and a dress shirt that's fine as well. I just don't understand why everyone makes this such a big issue.

If we got dressed up and went to a nice restaurant to celebrate something and others were there in khakis I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Why the big deal on a cruise?

People really need to get over themselves:rolleyes:.

No need to rent one....for just a little bit more, he can own one. Go to K&G Men's store, which has 6 or 7 locations in Maryland or the Men's Wearhouse. Why pay 75 for a rental when you can pay 150 and own a tux?

Packing space.

I'm quite happy that I don't have to pack a tux in my next cruise where I'll want one. Especially since it's a two week trip- space is a premium.

(yes, I *could* check luggage, but we don't)

And I agree that it's wierd. For the money, and the coupon we get, I'm ok with the rental.

Awe I'm sorry. You could always do the buffet or maybe have pizza that night. :D

Hey Gregg,

Why don't you "do the buffet or maybe have a pizza" in your tux? Just because the "suggested" attire in the Windjammer doesn't specifically mention a tux doesn't mean you couldn't wear one.

I have just as much right to wear a polo shirt and khakis to the MDR if I choose to. I will NOT allow self-appointed fashion police (or a "suggestion") to determine my actions.

If this post appears strong, I am only reacting to you obviously snide, mean-spirited post. :mad:

We were on a 5 night to Bermuda in June and I didn't see 1 man in the MDR in a tux. Now I'll add we had MTD so we weren't entering with the masses but still I didn't see anyone. My husband wore slacks, a dress shirt and tie and didn't stand out as being an odd ball at all.

IMO if you want to wear a tux go ahead. If you just want to wear slacks and a dress shirt that's fine as well. I just don't understand why everyone makes this such a big issue.

If we got dressed up and went to a nice restaurant to celebrate something and others were there in khakis I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Why the big deal on a cruise?

People really need to get over themselves:rolleyes:.

Absolutely, I agree with you. My husband loves to dress. That is just something he does. But I could care less what others wear. Why some make a big deal about formal attire really puzzles me :confused:

Some folks need to stop worrying about what persons wear. There are other things in life that should merit your attention. Just enjoy your vacation and not worry what others wear...imho

Get over yourself...

Hi all

My husband likes to wear a tux ( it is really the same as a suit, or jacket and slacks). He plans to bring his tux on our upcoming Freedom cruise. Will he be overdressed compared to the other men on board.

Thanks. M

Not only will he not be overdressed, I guarantee you that he will be the source of MANY bruised shins, from wives kicking their UNDERdressed husbands under the table!

Not only will he not be overdressed, I guarantee you that he will be the source of MANY bruised shins, from wives kicking their UNDERdressed husbands under the table!

Why would any wife kick her husband because some other guy has a tux on :confused:? Honestly, I'll notice someone much more for having good or bad manners than for what he's wearing.

On a side note...some of my friends cruised back in 2008. In lauded in that group were two of my very best friends...male. One evening my best friend came to my cabin to pick up my girlfriend and I for dinner. He knocked...and when I opened that door he appeared in a tuxedo. I was so taken back at how handsome and sexy he looked. Long story short...8 months later I married my best friend :D:D:D. I don know...something about a man in a tuxedo that is very sexy.

Gentlemen...if any doubts in your minds, take it from me...your wife will love you dressing up for her as well as yourself.

Happy cruising!

Couldn't agree more! What a beautiful story.

Why would any wife kick her husband because some other guy has a tux on :confused:? Honestly, I'll notice someone much more for having good or bad manners than for what he's wearing.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

Don't wear a tux, don't have your SO wear a tux.

But many do, and many wish that their man WOULD.

Im not going to flame you but I have yet to witness worn jeans, baseball caps and undershirts with imprints in the MDR on formal night.......Maybe I just dont pay that close attention to what others wear. :confused:

OP, tell your husband to wear his tux! Dress to the nines! There will be plenty of guys on Freedom in tuxedos and suits!

I am truly surprised that you have NEVER seen anyone in the MDR on formal night in jeans. While you haven't been on more than a few cruises, I see them ON EVERY CRUISE. And no, I am not looking for them. They are just THERE.

And shorts.

And t-shirts.

And baseball caps.

Reading your first two sentences, I was about to post DO IT DO IT DO IT.

But then I read your 3rd sentence. Sure, wear it if you want, but I'm not going to urge you to do it on the Monarch. ;)

To each his own, no issues with everyone's personal choice......but, after 5 cruises and going the gamut from Shirts and Ties to Suits on Formal night, I decided to rent the Tux this time around. It means less to pack and hey I haven't been in a tux since our wedding, so for our 10 yr anniversary cruise, I decided why not go for it!:)

He will look smashing! Some men, a small percentage, do wear tuxes. He will be in the minority for sure but he will not "stand out" or be over-dressed.

I agree. The OP said their husband likes to wear a tux, so more power to him and there will be enough others that he won't be the only. I choose not to, but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate others who do and how they look.

To each his own, no issues with everyone's personal choice......but, after 5 cruises and going the gamut from Shirts and Ties to Suits on Formal night, I decided to rent the Tux this time around. It means less to pack and hey I haven't been in a tux since our wedding, so for our 10 yr anniversary cruise, I decided why not go for it!:)

I did this in our early days of cruising. The only problem was that I wear 8 1/2 EEEE shoes. They never had anything close that fit comfortably. I always brought a pair of plain black shoes just in case. Bon Voyage!!!

Archived