Volendam to the rescue! saves 76 people

MightyQuinn

According to the Huffington Post quoting Reuters:

Holland America's Vollendam cruise ship rescued 70 tourists Sunday from their ailing sightseeing boat in Alaska's Glacier Bay, Reuters reports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/holland-america-cruise-sh_n_1812153.html

I'm a retired journalist. They could have at least double-checked the spelling of the Volendam. Sheesh.

Great story, though!

Robin

:o I saw that AFTER I posted. That's what I get for being gone all day. I will ask a mod to remove this thread. Oooops!

Robin

don't worry about it - I made the same mistake too:o:o

Thanks, John, for bringing the photos here.

Gives me the chills to know Volendam, her Captain and crew rescued those folks from possible injury or worse.

WELL DONE!!!

I do wonder though...... how is security maintained when the ship has no knowledge of who these people are, whether they are 'innocents' and a few other questions I won't even ask? My overactive mind kicked into gear but I am very sure bigger minds than mine 'went there first'.

Thanks for posting photos, John. Not at all as I imagined it would be. In my mind's eye they were in the middle of Glacier Bay and no where near shore like the photo shows. Now I won't be so nervous to try this tour company next year while on Zuiderdam.:)

I do wonder though...... how is security maintained when the ship has no knowledge of who these people are, whether they are 'innocents' and a few other questions I won't even ask? My overactive mind kicked into gear but I am very sure bigger minds than mine 'went there first'.

Aah.. the plot for a new film/book.

"Terrorists deliberately ground small boat, to be rescued by a large cruise ship."

Not in this case offcourse, but it is something to think about.

In my mind's eye they were in the middle of Glacier Bay and no where near shore like the photo shows. :)

Unless the flooding is very very quick, any captain will sail to shore or shallow waters as soon as possible. So their position near the shore isn't a coincidence.

I wonder if any of the passengers rescued were HAL passengers to begin with. Allen Marine Tours is the Main Tour operator that Holland America contracts with for many of the excursions. Almost every single boat tour/excursion thru HAL is contracted with Allen Marine.

It was great that the Volendam was close by to assist in the rescue.

Hats off to the Captain and Crew. :)

I wonder if any of the passengers rescued were HAL passengers to begin with. Allen Marine Tours is the Main Tour operator that Holland America contracts with for many of the excursions. Almost every single boat tour/excursion thru HAL is contracted with Allen Marine.

It was great that the Volendam was close by to assist in the rescue.

Hats off to the Captain and Crew. :)

The small vessel is based in Bartlett Cove on the south east shore just outside Glacier Bay National Park. There are no HAL excursions to Glacier Bay as they are doing it with the ship itself, and therefore no reason to do it with Allen Marine. You can do a Tracy arms with Allen Marine with the HAL ship stopping for just a service call and then continuing to Juneau.

Also another newsreport says:

it explains that when the people were brought on board, they went through security first thing. Then they were given something to eat.

Where they were given some HAL brochures, and an emergency appointment with the Future Cruise Consultant. :D

Archived