Veendam review-First timer Lanai cabin

cricri7

Hi guys.....I posted a thread a while back asking you about your experiences in the Lanai. I finally booked it since it was in my reach price wise. I did not regret it!!! I think no one has ever used a Lanai chair like I did. I had breakfast a couple of times there. I read in the afternoon, and often slept, and also read in the evening. I often read from 8 to 10 in my chair while watching the water or the Bermuda shore.

I have to say that it is one of my favorite cruises. I relaxed so much! I also was very happy because everything was quiet on my deck compared to my other Veendam cruise in July. I had a cabin in July on the Main deck and was constantly bothered by doors slamming and people talking loudly in the hallways. There was none of that on that cruise on the Lower promenade deck. I talked with a couple who was staying on Main Deck last week and they were also complaining about the noise. I am very glad I paid a little more and had the lanai.

As for the cabin itself, it is a little bit smaller than an inside or an oceanview but since I was traveling by myself I did not mind it at all. Everything worked nicely...shower...toilet...air conditioning...I do not have one single complaint.

As for the food, I wanted to eat by myself so I went to the Pinnacle grill almost every night. The food and service were excellent!

As for Bermuda....well....I will miss it.....I am a fan. I do not understand why Holland is not going anymore. I know it is because of profits but I love this island so much, it was my 5th cruise there on the Veendam, that I will miss it. I have been all over the Carribean and nothing compares to Bermuda.

I thank all of you who helped me decide for a Lanai because it was well worth the money! If you were on that cruise, I was the one in a bathrobe always reading and sleeping there!!!

Thanks for the review, glad to hear you were so pleased!!

We also agree that we have seen no islands in the Caribbean that compare

to Bermuda. We love the island so much and will continue to go back, but

it is sad to know that there are no more ships scheduled to call on Hamilton.

• 1 month later...

We just booked a lanai cabin last week, Maasdam Holiday cruise. Thank you so much for your update, I was ready to post and see if anyone had an opinion about lanai cabins. This will be our third voyage on the Maasdam all before the "upgrade" of the ship. We always book a verandah but decided to take a chance on the lanai cabin save a little $$ and have a new experience

On our last cruise (verandah) we had some serious smokers on either side of us, it wasn't always pleasant to be out having a nice glass of wine or coffee and smell cigars and cig's.

I know the cabin size is smaller but our itinerary will have us outdoors most of the time..after 40 years together we tend to know when to get out of each others way:)

What is a Lanai cabin? Thanks

Sassy~one, a lanai cabin is one of the old ocean view cabins located on the lower promenade decks (the wrap-around teak decks) on the Veendam, Rotterdam and Maasdam that were converted to have doors that open to the promenade. Many, but not all of wonderful lounges along the deck are reserved to those rooms.

Archived