Oh you crazy Veendam!

sppunk

Is it the Veendam that is taking over Voyage of the Vikings next year?

Yes, it is. No aft pool puts a real crimp in the traditional Arctic Swim, too. :(

Glad I got my Polar Bear certificate when the gettin' was good. ;)

Yes, it is. No aft pool puts a real crimp in the traditional Arctic Swim, too. :(

Glad I got my Polar Bear certificate when the gettin' was good. ;)

Polar Bear certificate eh? You're made of better stuff than yours truly. :D

Hello from rainy Hamilton. We set sail in 1:45, so popping into the library one final time.

Carpet is still moist, but not standing water. Unprovoked we had a call this morning from the Hotel Manager extending a free Pinnacle lunch our way. Works for us, though we didn't need any sort of compensation.

At dinner last night the next table over was saying they came back to their room yesterday to ceiling tiles on the floor and a leak. Deck 5 midship if I head him correctly.

I'll end this post with this thought: A life goal is to do the South America run, which Veendam tackles for HAL. I'd be hard-pressed unfortunately to pick HAL now vs competitors on this route given the Veendam's misfortunes. Which is sad because I love the size, the wonderful crew, captain, officers, etc. The mechanical and plumbing problems make such an expensive journey lose its value in our opinion. Such a shame. :/

More early next week. Signing off from beautiful Bermuda!

Hello from rainy Hamilton. We set sail in 1:45, so popping into the library one final time.

Carpet is still moist, but not standing water. Unprovoked we had a call this morning from the Hotel Manager extending a free Pinnacle lunch our way. Works for us, though we didn't need any sort of compensation.

At dinner last night the next table over was saying they came back to their room yesterday to ceiling tiles on the floor and a leak. Deck 5 midship if I head him correctly.

I'll end this post with this thought: A life goal is to do the South America run, which Veendam tackles for HAL. I'd be hard-pressed unfortunately to pick HAL now vs competitors on this route given the Veendam's misfortunes. Which is sad because I love the size, the wonderful crew, captain, officers, etc. The mechanical and plumbing problems make such an expensive journey lose its value in our opinion. Such a shame. :/

You have a much better attitude than many would have given your situation!! :D May the rest of your trip be leak free!!!

Safe travels...... :cool:

i think it is time for the veendam to make its journey to alang. if it was good enough for a grand lady like the france cum norway, it is more than good enough for veendam.

I'm not sure they have to be THAT drastic. (Depressing photo!) But I do think they need to schedule a dry dock that's long enough for some serious engineering work, never mind carpets and window treatments.

i had the rio to fort lauderdale (via the amazon) itinerary booked a couple years ago. after all the bad reviews i ended up cancelling it. so glad i did, too. my vacation time is too valuable - i still work - to spend it on a ghetto ship. i don't expect perfection, but i DO expect a/c and plumbing to work.

I'm not sure they have to be THAT drastic. (Depressing photo!) But I do think they need to schedule a dry dock that's long enough for some serious engineering work, never mind carpets and window treatments.

these problems have been reported for several years now. i would think if they could be fixed they would be. put her out of her/our misery.

these problems have been reported for several years now. i would think if they could be fixed they would be. put her out of her/our misery.

I agree. I think for some reason, there simply is nothing they can do to repair the issues so they just keep doing band aid therapy. While some people report no problems at all, there are just too many reports of plumbing and air conditioning problems to ignore.

There is also something up with the paint they are using on this ship. I've been on other ships while they've done exterior painting and never had it pulled into the cabins by the air conditioning. Maybe it's the paint and maybe the A/C or maybe both.

It is a money issue.

The cost of the repairs, the cost of on going preventative maintenance, and the cost of lost revenue when the ship is in drydock for an extended period.

So, if the company can avoid these expenses by giving out the occasional 'shut up and go away' bottle of wine or future cruise discount, they will continue to do so as long as the ship attracts customers.

After all, only a small minority of customers are severely impacted on any one cruise. If that number grows, or HAL customers vote with their feet and abandon the ship in favor of other ships or cruise lines, then HAL will either fix the issues or sell the ship.

I suspect the latter.

With the right attitude, like yours, even the "Cruise From Hell" could be lots of fun and still enjoyable.

It is with anticipation that I look forward to your full review!!

Thanks for keeping us updated on your cruise:)

Joanie

Yes....sounds like the cruise of a lifetime. The OP is definately making the best of a bad situation and good luck to her.

But, at the end of the day she will vote with her feet-as would most others in her place:

Yes....sounds like the cruise of a lifetime. The OP is definately making the best of a bad situation and good luck to her

Zaandam is doing South America Nov 2013 to April 2014. Veendam is doing Circle Hawaii and Panama Canal, etc.

Currently on board, so I need to keep this short, but there was torrential rain in Bermuda on Wednesday night. I don't know how that affected the ship (and hence some cabins, such as the OP's), but it certainly affected residents of Bermuda. Harbor Night was cancelled for the second week in a row, and the Lido Pool Party was also cancelled. -S.

Archived