Even more questions about Blu

warmwinds

These I'm sure have been covered before, but this is our first time in Blu so have not kept up to speed.

If we decide the first night we like the table and waiter we're assigned, we can ask then and there to have it held for us every night in Blu at a certain time?

There's no formal nights in Blu??? I just read this in another thread! I had no idea! We are old schoolers, my husband has his own tux, we LOVE the formal nights. We can still wear what we want, right, it's just not required for those who don't? And no Baked Alaska Parade? Arrrgh, I'm hyperventilating, lol.

These I'm sure have been covered before, but this is our first time in Blu so have not kept up to speed.

If we decide the first night we like the table and waiter we're assigned, we can ask then and there to have it held for us every night in Blu at a certain time?

There's no formal nights in Blu??? I just read this in another thread! I had no idea! We are old schoolers, my husband has his own tux, we LOVE the formal nights. We can still wear what we want, right, it's just not required for those who don't? And no Baked Alaska Parade? Arrrgh, I'm hyperventilating, lol.

They will do everything to save your table and give you the same waiter. Dress code is smart casual and above, he is certainly welcome to wear his tux. They do not have a baked Alaska parade.

Sorry to piggyback on the OP, but I didn't realize there is no formal night in Blu either. I guess I missed that. We are booked in AQ also. If we do not bring formal attire, though are dressed nicely (no jeans/shorts, tees), does that mean we still can't go to the entertainment on formal night? Does Blu offer escargot and lobster (on lobster night)?

We were in Blu for B2B cruises last spring. Even though the dress code in Blu is smart casual every night, on all six of the formal nights fellow dinners dressed very nicely. The majority of the men were in tuxes, dinner jackets or dark suits. The women were in glittery, sparkly outfits. And there were no baked Alaska parades, but I tired of them years ago so thought it was no great loss.

When we left the Infinity in May the cruise industry was still experiencing the world wide escargot shortage. But all items on the "always available" or left side of the MDR menu was also available in Blu. Actually a friend ordered off of the right side of the MDR menu several times with no problem. In any event, once the shortage of escargot has been resolved it will available with no problems (maybe it has already been resolved?). And lobster was available in Blu the same formal night it was offered in the MDR, although the preparation was different.

Sorry to piggyback on the OP, but I didn't realize there is no formal night in Blu either. I guess I missed that. We are booked in AQ also. If we do not bring formal attire, though are dressed nicely (no jeans/shorts, tees), does that mean we still can't go to the entertainment on formal night? Does Blu offer escargot and lobster (on lobster night)?

No, Formal night is only observed in the MDR, nowhere else on the ship.

The lobster in Blu is prepared with a citrus (tangerine if I remember correctly) reduction sauce. I ordered it one night and also thought it was better than the lobster offered in the MDR, but I have admit that even though I love lobster I rarely order it on a cruise ship unless we are in the SS United States, Murano and so forth.

We were just AQ for our Alaska cruise. Because of the extra lugggage charges I don't think people are dressing like they used to. On our cruise for formal night most people had on slacks, collared shirt.....and there were also a lot is nice jeans with collared shirt....

The lobster in Blu is prepared with a citrus (tangerine if I remember correctly) reduction sauce. I ordered it one night and also thought it was better than the lobster offered in the MDR, but I have admit that even though I love lobster I rarely order it on a cruise ship unless we are in the SS United States, Murano and so forth.

Sounds tasty! Can I still get drawn butter with it, though? I use it sparingly and not on every bite, but a little bit makes it nice especially since I don't have it often.

When we cruised on the Silhouette (last December) they had already implemented the Blu policy of smart-casual and not formal nights. However, on formal nights the crowd in Blu was actually dressed better (and more formal) then most of the passengers in the MDR. But if you want to dress smart casual it would not keep you from doing anything on the formal night.

Hank

My observation is similar to Hlitner. We spent thirty-one days on the Infinity in Aqua Class and I thought that the passengers dining in Blu on formal nights actually dressed more formally than the passengers dining in the MDR.

bluebreeze: Even though we live in Alaska we have taken two Alaska cruises on Celebrity. I thought that on both of those cruises the dress was more casual than we generally see on Celebrity.

sweetp09: Since a friend ordered off the MDR menu more than once I suspect you may find the more traditional lobster preparation also available if you ask nicely. We also found the waiters and staff in Blu to be very willing to modify the plate (ie, offering a different sauce).

I think it sounds great...as much as we love Celebrity and cruising, this is our first time on an S-class, first time in Blu, so much will be different, it really sounds exhilirating we were sort of in a rut. And yes we'll bring our formal wear, we don't have any of the luggage restraints many have so why not.

Thanks for the responses. DH and I plan to dress up. He will wear a nice black suit, french cuff shirt/cufflinks, tie and dress shoes. I am thinking a black cocktail dress with silver shoes and clutch. Not super formal, but still dressy.

I love the sound of how Blu prepares the lobster, I just wonder if they would put some drawn butter on the side. It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. :)

We were in Aqua on the Eclipse in May and I would say about 95% were dressed formally. But, if you don't want to dress up, then you will be fine in your regular dinner clothes. The staff in Blu will go out of their way to make sure that you are happy - they really were the best!

I am also attaching a picture of the lobster...

2v3g70p.jpg

On our trans-atlantic on the silhouette last fall we fit right in wearing our formal attire. We always take the opportunity to get pictures made as we don't dress up often at home. Many folks were dressed up in Blu, and formal wear was the norm in the theater. You probably won't be turned away without it, but you certainly won't feel out of place.

Dont fixate on lobster for formal night...it is not Maine lobster and it is generally broiled and way over cooked and tasteless in both the mdr and blu. It's better in Murano cooked at your table.

We were on b2b aqua on the equinox this year..I wore smart casual...no jacket with no problem and I didn't feel eyes staring at me. Many/most men wore suits or tuxedos and we all got along just fine. I was certainly not the only one in. Nice shirt and slacks.

To the OP, we selected a table for two, away from the windows in the center of the dining room on our first night and told the Maitre D' that we would like to have that table each night and all but one night, when we arrived later, we got it. Contrary to what many have said there are 3-4 two-tops that are very private in Blu, if that's what you want. We love Blu and have actually sat at this same table for 4 different cruises now. These tables just aren't next to the windows but I think are the best two tops in Blu.....enjoy!!!:)

One other thing if you want you can eat in the MDR when in Blue you just go to the anytime seating line or you can let them know ahead of time too if you want to go there for a formal night.

For me I will be in slacks and a shirt in Blu and enjoy myself every night.

We were in Aqua on the Eclipse in May and I would say about 95% were dressed formally. But, if you don't want to dress up, then you will be fine in your regular dinner clothes. The staff in Blu will go out of their way to make sure that you are happy - they really were the best!

That's a very high number unless this statistic is based on your eye view when dining and not everyone that walks in and out of the restaurant from open to close. If the numbers are true, then I'll be part of the 5%. Still, I'm going as is with polos and khakis/dress slacks and I don't expect any disruption in my dining experience.

Archived