GDR and Terrace Cafe menus

Tansy Mews

We never got advance menus in our room - a B4 balcony on Marina. we just checked outside the dining room every day. We too preferred the Terrace to eat outside weather permitting and the multiple grilled lobster tails.

We are not very experienced cruisers but we have been on the Marina twice. We have never had dinner in the Terrace Cafe. My only time on Celebrity in January, I checked out the more casual restaurant and they had very little on offer. I have since read comments that on Oceania, some of the same selections are on the menu in both the GDR and Terrace Cafe. Is that correct? Any of you opt for the Terrace Cafe in the evening? I am eagerly looking forward to a long cruise with many sea days. I have to eat smart and stay active enough!

The terrace has most of the same items as the GDR PLUS a lot extra- WOK stn, pasta stn, carvery etc. We prefer the Terrace. You need to try it.

rotflmao

Hi - The last time I used the expression I received this "funny" response from a friend quoting Urban Dictionary.com. Enjoy the laugh!

" ROTFLMAO

A chatroom abbreviation used mainly by imbeciles, usually in response to something mildly, often very mildly, amusing. People who use this type of shorthand should be avoided like the Spanish flu.

I would've married her, but I found out that she goes into chatrooms and uses shorthand like LOL and ROTFLMAO. Therefore, I broke off our engagement and changed the locks to my apartment."

I presume that all cabins get the menu as it is just a 8x11 sheet of paper, printed on both sides.

I was on Riviera for 47 days this summer. The only time we received a GDR menu in our stateroom was when we were in an Oceania Suite. We were also in a concierge (category A) room and a verandah (category B) room but did not receive GDR menus in either of those.

It was no big deal for us -- the ship is so small that at some point during the day we were always in close proximity to wherever the menus were posted. Reviewing those menus was always a highlight of the day.:)

I was on Riviera for 47 days this summer. The only time we received a GDR menu in our stateroom was when we were in an Oceania Suite. We were also in a concierge (category A) room and a verandah (category B) room but did not receive GDR menus in either of those.

It was no big deal for us -- the ship is so small that at some point during the day we were always in close proximity to wherever the menus were posted. Reviewing those menus was always a highlight of the day.:)

That's the thing, I don't recall getting GDR menus even IN the Oceania Suite.

There were not any in the pile of "souvenirs" that we took home with us either...

Odd.

I wonder if it is only on the R ships? Perhaps as an experiment. We did find on Marina there was no menu posted outside the Terrace such as you find on the R ships. Don't remember if there was one outside the Grand Dining Room. Don't think we got menus on the Marina but that was before our Regatta sailing.

Mura and I were both on Regatta so perhaps it is only on that ship as a test.

It seems like such a simple thing to do and I am sure the menus are in place the night before.

I just wish they would have the dessert menu posted in advance so I know how much room to leave.

I do tend to think this is a new thing. I've never received those daily "draft menus" in the past (last cruise before the August 18th one was last October on Marina) but we certainly did on this cruise. Every night. On Regatta.

Was it a deal breaker for us? Certainly not, just an added "ease of cruise" factor. In the past we always checked the menus when passing by ... not a problem.

Certainly as has been suggested this could be a "try-out" on the "R" ships. I don't see why they should need to try it out, though. If anyone objects to that extra piece of paper, they can just toss it.

I do know some people who would toss it because they refuse to eat in the Grand Dining Room, so for them it's unnecessary.

I think it's a good idea.

Mura

Certainly as has been suggested this could be a "try-out" on the "R" ships. I don't see why they should need to try it out, though. If anyone objects to that extra piece of paper, they can just toss it.

Aside from the laziness factor which is none of my business (and I am working on that), this sounds like a tragic waste of paper.

While we are on the subject, just how sedentary should we plan to be? Unless one is ill or infirm, the Dining Room Foyer (particularly on the R ships) is pretty hard to avoid.

Full Disclosure: If I see any of you reading said menus on a treadmill in the gym

I shall run amuck!

We were in an Oceania Suite this past May on the Riviera and had the menu from the GDR in our suite along with the menus from all the specialty restaurants. Our butler changed the GDR menu daily.

On previous cruises in concierge class we never had the GDR menu in our room...sounds like this is something new to receive it in the evening along with Passages left on your bed at turndown

We were in an Oceania Suite this past May on the Riviera and had the menu from the GDR in our suite along with the menus from all the specialty restaurants. Our butler changed the GDR menu daily.

On previous cruises in concierge class we never had the GDR menu in our room...sounds like this is something new to receive it in the evening along with Passages left on your bed at turndown

I would like to see all menus displayed on TV so that I can study them while on the treadmill. What a great incentive to do an extra 15 minutes at 3.3 mph! :D

Oceania has CURRENTS

I would vote for them on the T.V. as well
I get the dinner menu because I order special meals but I have to hand them into the GDR in the morning
Sometime in my morning stupor I check things off but by dinnertime I forget what I have ordered so each dinner meal is a surprise :D

I have been reading this thread and really laughing..when I go to a restaurant I never ask ahead for them tosend me a menu first..I always assume if it a good restaurant I will be able to find something I like..why do you have to see the menu 1st..that is kind of like being on an old time cruise ship when they had special dinners..O has special dinners every night!! Doesnt anyone want to walk in and be pleasantly surprised???
Jancruz1

[quote name='JimandStan']Aside from the laziness factor which is none of my business (and I am working on that), this sounds like a tragic waste of paper.

While we are on the subject, just how sedentary should we plan to be? Unless one is ill or infirm, the Dining Room Foyer (particularly on the R ships) is pretty hard to avoid.

Full Disclosure: If I see any of you reading said menus on a treadmill in the gym
I shall run amuck![/quote]
I did not know there was an AMUCK setting on the treadmill!

[quote name='LHT28']I would vote for them on the T.V. as well
I get the dinner menu because I order special meals but I have to hand them into the GDR in the morning
Sometime in my morning stupor I check things off but by dinnertime I forget what I have ordered so each dinner meal is a surprise :D[/quote]

A futher comment about the gym aspect. Just think how scientific you could get. We could request calories to be show against each dish on the TV menu. Then watch the calorie count on the tredmill and work off the exact number of calories you need to to use up to match your next wonderful meal. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BettyFB']This will be our first cruise with Oceania and I have a question regarding the menus that are left in your room in the evening......Does this apply to all cabins, or just those in suites and above? I'm in a balcony cabin and when I'm on a cruise, I always love to check out the menus ahead of time, so this would be great! Thanks![/quote]

I had an Oceanview on the Regatta and the menu's were delivered each and every night.

[quote name='Tansy Mews']We are not very experienced cruisers but we have been on the Marina twice. We have never had dinner in the Terrace Cafe. My only time on Celebrity in January, I checked out the more casual restaurant and they had very little on offer. I have since read comments that on Oceania, some of the same selections are on the menu in both the GDR and Terrace Cafe. Is that correct? Any of you opt for the Terrace Cafe in the evening? I am eagerly looking forward to a long cruise with many sea days. I have to eat smart and stay active enough![/quote]

We were on a 14 day cruise in March amd NEVER made it to the GDR,,,only ate in the specialty restaurants and the Terrace Cafe. The food in the Terrace Cafe was GREAT!!!! ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!! They have a grill in there where you can get steak, prime rib, shrimp, lobster, mahi mahi all grilled to order (well, i think they are "par grilled" and then finished in a sauce pan to order....all perfect. East what you want, when you want. Me - I need to stay away from carbs and lose weight when I focus on eating protein...and am proud to say that I lost weight on that cruise...had lobster for lunch and swordfish for dinner. I can't speak for the other cruise lines,....but Oceania food was GREAT. Sorry for repeating myself

[quote name='JimandStan']y on the R ships)
I shall run amuck![/QUOTE]

Wouldn't this require you to go to the gym?
I didn't know they had "lounge chair amenities" offered in the gym.

Cenia

[quote name='Jancruz']I have been reading this thread and really laughing..when I go to a restaurant I never ask ahead for them tosend me a menu first..I always assume if it a good restaurant I will be able to find something I like..why do you have to see the menu 1st..that is kind of like being on an old time cruise ship when they had special dinners..O has special dinners every night!! Doesnt anyone want to walk in and be pleasantly surprised???
Jancruz1[/quote]

We prefer to read menus ahead of time to see which restaurants are serving a menu to delight us (or, on the other hand, have nothing to interest us), and we have time to compare each restaurant's offerings at our leisure and make an informed decision on where to dine. Yes, you might/might not be pleasantly surprised if you go into a restaurant without knowing its menu, but why take unnecessary chances?

Archived