GDR and Terrace Cafe menus

Tansy Mews

I wonder whether there is any way to see daily menus for the Terrace and GDR without going to the GDR. I wish they had it on TV! Any suggestions?

You could always go to the Terrace then, they usually have the menus there for the GDR to view

You could write to "THE BOSS" maybe he will put them on the T.V. for you:D

We are not very experienced cruisers but we have been on the Marina twice. We have never had dinner in the Terrace Cafe. My only time on Celebrity in January, I checked out the more casual restaurant and they had very little on offer. I have since read comments that on Oceania, some of the same selections are on the menu in both the GDR and Terrace Cafe. Is that correct? Any of you opt for the Terrace Cafe in the evening? I am eagerly looking forward to a long cruise with many sea days. I have to eat smart and stay active enough!

I can't remember how many times I suggested that menus be posted on the TV, as they do on Regent, but to no avail.

What we do, since we are fortunate enough to book a PH suite, is request a menu be delivered to our room on a daily basis by the butler, that way we know what's available in the GDR and quite often, some of it is available in the Terrace Cafe, too.

Of course this doesn't matter if you're going to eat in one of the fabulous specialty restaurants.

We are not very experienced cruisers but we have been on the Marina twice. We have never had dinner in the Terrace Cafe. My only time on Celebrity in January, I checked out the more casual restaurant and they had very little on offer. I have since read comments that on Oceania, some of the same selections are on the menu in both the GDR and Terrace Cafe. Is that correct? Any of you opt for the Terrace Cafe in the evening? I am eagerly looking forward to a long cruise with many sea days. I have to eat smart and stay active enough!

The Terrace will have the same items pretty much that the GDR has plus more

On the newer ships they have the new grill area where they will cook to order meats, shrimp lobster & many other items

Do try the Terrace for dinner at least once

Celebrity is NOT Oceania :D

On many cruises you can see the GDR menu at the lounges/bars for that evening. I'm not sure if Oceania does this though.

They usually have them near the entrance of the TERRACE along with the wine lists

or just ask someone :rolleyes:

We are not very experienced cruisers but we have been on the Marina twice. We have never had dinner in the Terrace Cafe.

I have to eat smart and stay active enough!

We spent 50 days on the Marina last year and I don't think we ate in the MDR more than 3 or 4 times.

When we did not eat in the specialty restaurants, which was often, we were at the Terrace Cafe enjoying jumbo shrimps and lobster tails among the many choices from the grill (like the daily pasta dishes or stir-fries); then there are the salads bar and hot items counter serving food like what is available in the MDR.

YMMV though, as you "have to eat smart" :D

Tansy Mews,

We sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette last Feb. Had an excellent cruise. Had an Aqua cabin and eat in Blue most of the time (thank goodness). Tried the buffet restaurant twice. Once for lunch and once for dinner.....terrible on both times. Crowded, had to fight for a table then defend it when my wife wondered round for food...then it was my turn to food fight and she did the defending. Few staff clearing tables. Average to poor food selection. No comparison at all to the Terrace on 'R' or 'O' ships which are a delight for dining with superb service.

We're just off Regatta, still in Istanbul.

As Ed said, they now deliver the next day's menu for the GDR (both lunch and dinner) the night before. And yes, Terrace has pretty much the same food as the GDR, only more choices are available. (Not everything is duplicated, however.)

This was the first time that we ate more in the Terrace than any other venue (on an "R" ship). We used to eat dinner in the Terrace only if really exhausted, but this time we actually preferred it.

To our tastes, Polo and Toscana had slipped a bit -- both in the food and service. I'm not saying it was terrible, and when I say "a bit", I mean "a bit". However, Terrace was better to our tastes than it has been in the past.

All that being said, we had a wonderful cruise.

Mura

This will be our first cruise with Oceania and I have a question regarding the menus that are left in your room in the evening......Does this apply to all cabins, or just those in suites and above? I'm in a balcony cabin and when I'm on a cruise, I always love to check out the menus ahead of time, so this would be great! Thanks!

What a terrible experience you had on this ship. We did a solstice class ship, Celebrity's Eclipse this past February and had exactly the opposite experience. Thank goodness our friends were able to cancel the Acqua Blue dining experience. They ate there the first night and were so disenchanted they joined us and several others in the main dining room and the buffet for the rest of the cruise. One of the highlights was the mid-week brunch held in the MDR which was absolutely stunning. There was one couple in our group that did not like dressing up so they had ALL their meals in the buffet and loved it. We were a party of 10 and almost never waited more than a couple of minutes for a table oftentimes being assisted by the wait staff in obtaining a table.

Tansy Mews,

We sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette last Feb. Had an excellent cruise. Had an Aqua cabin and eat in Blue most of the time (thank goodness). Tried the buffet restaurant twice. Once for lunch and once for dinner.....terrible on both times. Crowded, had to fight for a table then defend it when my wife wondered round for food...then it was my turn to food fight and she did the defending. Few staff clearing tables. Average to poor food selection. No comparison at all to the Terrace on 'R' or 'O' ships which are a delight for dining with superb service.

This will be our first cruise with Oceania and I have a question regarding the menus that are left in your room in the evening......Does this apply to all cabins, or just those in suites and above? I'm in a balcony cabin and when I'm on a cruise, I always love to check out the menus ahead of time, so this would be great! Thanks!

I can't say for sure but it was my feeling that everyone got the same insert. This was for the next day menus, not for the balance of the cruise!

However, you can go to the entrance area to the GDR and read the lunch and dinner menus on the day in question, in advance. I have never known just when they are posted. But often when we left breakfast, the lunch menu was already up.

Likewise, Terrace posts its menu pretty well in advance. Not two days (!) but in plenty of time for you to make your plans.

We got in the habit of taking our "advance menu" from the GDR with us to see what Terrace was offering in order to decide where we wanted to eat. We did have Polo and Toscana twice, but we aren't big on the specialty dining rooms ... we were just dining with people who ARE so we had booked those early.

Mura

I presume that all cabins get the menu as it is just a 8x11 sheet of paper, printed on both sides. I don't know why they wouldn't give it out.

We were in a concierge balcony cabin but since there are interior cabins on deck 7 and the same people appear to service both it would get a bit confusing if they didn't just give them to every one.

I seem to remember a supply was also at the Reception desk but I am not 100% sure.

I like many, do not have skill in advanced cryptology and our code breaking skills are lax...what the hell is a GDR? and more important why does one need to hide its idenity?:rolleyes:

Ha, well said. Took me more than a few threads when viewing Oceania posts to break GDR code. Might be we are just to damn old to keep pace with this "hurry and wait" world. Had enough of that in the army. :)

Archived