Next Port Protection

Birubi

With 18 days to go HAL has changed our flight arrangements so that we are due to arrive, after 20hrs travelling time, (2 flights and a stop over) just 2 hours before the ship sails.

HAL has told us that they have the next port protection in place for us and that they will cover the cost of flying us on to the next port and the 3 nights accommodation before we board the ship there, if the plane is delayed.

Has anyone had experience with the next port protection? Is the time it might take to leave the airport and arrive at the port taken into consideration within the next port protedction? If so does HAL take the word of the passenger conserning the airport and transport delays or do you have to have some sort of proof?

I would not be a happy camper with those arrangements. HAL is known (also other cruise lines) for selecting the worst possible flight arrangements as they are the cheapest.

Did you pay for HAL's deviation air where you give them the flights you wanted?

If I were you, I would call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 and get those flights changed if at all possible.

Be prepared to supply them with suggested flights.

With 18 days to go HAL has changed our flight arrangements so that we are due to arrive, after 20hrs travelling time, (2 flights and a stop over) just 2 hours before the ship sails.

HAL has told us that they have the next port protection in place for us and that they will cover the cost of flying us on to the next port and the 3 nights accommodation before we board the ship there, if the plane is delayed.

Has anyone had experience with the next port protection? Is the time it might take to leave the airport and arrive at the port taken into consideration within the next port protedction? If so does HAL take the word of the passenger conserning the airport and transport delays or do you have to have some sort of proof?

No way would I accept this.

Not a chance.

Thanks everyone,

All of the above have been tried and here is a copy of the reply from HAL that our TA received (recurring spelling mistake and all)

"Thank you for contacting Holland America regarding the guests dissatisfaction regarding the flights that have been booked in accordance with there cruise from Vancouver to Sydney.

We understand the guests are not happy with the current arrangements of the flights booked for them when guests do book flights with our office they are booked on the basis that we decide the carrier, route and departure time.

We don't anticipate that the guest will be delayed, however should this occur we have the next port protection in place for the guests, should they wish to look at flying in prior to the day, we can confirm with our air department the possibilities of this and to re confirm the pricing as the airfares quoted are based on the day of sailing.

Guests who choose to deviate their flights and arrive prior to the cruise will need to purchase there own hotel accommodation at there own expense, regarding Holland America holding the vessel we are not able to hold the ship should flights be delayed, this is where our port protection would come into effect for those with flights booked through Holland America."

So we are preparing to use the next port protection that HAL have put in place.

Your TA should be insisting on different travel schedule.

That is unrealistic and way too stressful.

Unacceptable IMO

It is up to your TA to be more vigorous on your behalf.

HAL knows that is a bad schedule. They book by price. they must have gotten a good price. Next port protection is ridiculous. They should be booking a flight that gets you to the ship on time given reasonable circumstances. What they booked is not reasonable.

New to me, but we seldom travel on HAL and where flying to the embarkation port, we fly in a day early and have never had a problem with late flights.

~Doris~

Most lines require passengers to checkin 2 hours before sailing. Does HAL have this rule? If so, it is impossible for you to comply.

I believe the rule is check in 90 minutes prior for HAL.

It is not likely OP could comply.

This is a very unfortunate situation, but nothing new for those that totally rely on the cruise lines to plan their air. Many cruisers (including moi) have learned (the hard way) to never let the cruise lines have carte blanche in selecting air. We generally do our own air and normally fly-in at least one day early. But when using Celebrity's Choice Air it is a simple matter to pay a few extra dollars to use their Choice Air Plus program where the the client can work with the Choice Air folks to choose the air arrangements that best suit the customer. As to the next port guarantee, if you miss the ship the Choice Air folks will work to get you to the next port at Celebrity's expense. Of course this does not make-up for the lost day (or days) and stress.

Hank

I believe the rule is check in 90 minutes prior for HAL.

It might be different for Australia departures. The 90 minute rule might be only for USA departures. Still, you have no cushion for any delays. How far is it from the airport to the cruise terminal? Do you have to clear customs in the airport in Sydney? This could cause more delays.

Now for the good news. I can't imagine that HAL wants to spend money to room-and-board you and fly you to the first port-of-call. We have to assume (yeah, I know what it means to Ass-U-Me) that HAL knows what they are doing. I'm not sure what other choice you have that would not cost you money.

Next time, you might book the air yourself, and fly in a day or two early. That way you could have time to see some sites in the departure port (Sydney in this case), as well has more time to get over jet lag (looks like Sydney is 17 hours ahead of Vancouver).

I'm curious. If you live in Australian Capital Territory, why are you flying from Vancouver?

While I agree that you are cutting it way too close, let's assume that flight is what you are stuck with. To be best prepared, make sure do the following:

-If you have not yet filed for an ESTA to fly into the US, do so now. This must be done in advance, lasts for 4 years, and will make any last-minute flight to Los Angeles (the next port) less of a complication.

-Print out your full travel insurance description of coverage (DOC), not just the blurb one page description. Highlight the contact phone numbers for claims. Since you are from Australia, your rules and coverages are likely to be a lot different from those here in the States.

-Keep a close eye on the clock. Taxi travel time from the airport to the dock is 30 minutes without traffic. If you are not on your way to the pier by 4 pm, you have likely missed the ship. What you do between the plane landing and you getting out to the curb may make the difference between catching the ship and flying to LA.

-Make sure you have the Travel Delay notification phone numbers handy. This will not hold the ship, but it will be your proof that you kept in contact with HAL from the moment your plane landed, through however long it takes to get your baggage and through customs.

AIRLINE DELAYS

From time to time guests encounter transportation delays in getting to their cruise ship. If it is your day of sailing and this happens to you, please follow these guidelines:

Advise your airline at the earliest opportunity that you • are a cruise guest destined for a sailing that day. Working directly with the carrier is important, as the airlines are usually able to arrange alternative flights.

If you believe a delay will cause you to arrive in the port of • embarkation less than two hours before the ship’s scheduled departure or if you are concerned for any reason that the ship may leave before you arrive, our representatives may be able to advise you of arrangements to minimize disruptions in your vacation plans.

Ask the airline to immediately advise our Air/Sea Department, or call us yourself at 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294. Air/Sea representatives are available 24hours a day, 7days a week and 365days a year. These numbers are provided for emergency use only; please do not call unless it is your day of departure and you are experiencing a delay.

from http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf I note that their own document lists a 2 hour minimum airport arrival lead time, and that does not include having to go through customs.:(

-If you are scheduled to take HAL's transfers, consider keeping the transfer (although they will not be the fastest mode to the dock, having your name on their list will keep you visible to them) but be prepared to pay for a taxi, which will be much faster to the ship. It is a fair chance that you will be put in a taxi anyway, as when you finally reach the baggage area, all the bus transfers will have already departed for the ship.

-Keep all receipts, and be certain to ask for receipts where not often used.

-Pack three to five days of mix and match clothing in your carry-on; you may have to make a snap decision at the airport to forget your checked luggage and rush to the ship with just what you have with you.

-Even if you decide not to leave your checked bags, you may want to consider having one of you zip through the immigration/customs process with just your two carryons while everyone else is waiting for the luggage to come off the plane. The inside and outside person need to be able to communicate, but the outside person can make contact with the HAL representative while the inside person is still grabbing luggage and trying to get through customs and immigration. Being physically in their presence makes you a lot harder to ignore and they cannot claim that you never showed up.

-Put a complete and detailed itinerary including shoreside contact numbers for the cruiseline in the outside pocket of each piece of checked luggage as well as on top of your clothing inside your luggage, so it is the first thing anyone sees if they open your bags. Put a second, bright red or yellow luggage 'tag' on the handle of each bag with the word ITINERARY in bold black letters. You can make this on your computer, cover it in packing tape, staple it around your bag handle and it will last. On the reverse of your homemade tag, write a note to look in the 'outside middle zipper pocket' or wherever you put the actual itinerary. ALSO, put the Cruise Line luggage tags on each bag, perhaps two if you have two handles. All of this will make your bags easier to spot and get forwarded to the ship if you have to leave them behind at the airport.

-If you have plain old black luggage, find a way to make them stand out. Use colored duct tape on the sides, use stickers, colorful luggage straps, anything that allows them to be noticed from across the room.

-Take a couple of close up photos of your marked luggage exactly as they will look when packed and labeled, measure them, and go online to whichever airline you are booked on and download a lost luggage claim form. Fill out the form as best you can before you get on the plane, attach the photos and while on your flight to Vancouver add the information from your claim checks. If you cannot find the form online, go to the baggage area at the airport and grab one before you leave. IF you have to abandon your luggage at YVR, you can give the form to the airline rep or cruise rep to assist in getting your bags to the ship in Los Angeles. Keep a copy of the photos on your cell phone.

I hope you do not miss your ship departure, but if you are prepared for either eventuality, you will be less disappointed in the final outcome.

I would recommend that your travel agent point out that your flight doesn't land until 2 hours before the ship is set to sail, that you will have to collect your bags and clear customs, and that the airport is still another 30 minutes from the port on a good day, making the likelihood of your meeting their check-in time approaching 0.

Where is your stop-over? Is it somewhere fairly close, where you might have a shot at getting on an earlier flight there? Is there an earlier flight?

Have you looked at other possible flights to see if there are flights available that are the same price but will get you in earlier? If you contact the airlines the day before the flights, will they let you fly standby on an earlier flight for no extra charge?

Is there any way you can travel with carry on luggage only, reducing the time needed once you land?

Are all of your flights one one airline? If so, you or your TA might be able to get an airline employee to get you onto alternate flights to get you there earlier. Here is where your TA earns her/his commission - by being your advocate. Whoever picked this set of flights was a nut job.

Given that the next port is in the US, and the ship is registered in the Netherlands, it may be the case that you aren't allowed to board the ship in the U.S. as you will be disembarking in another country. I can't quite remember the law regarding a non-US flagged ship transporting passengers to and from the US...

But if that is the case, then you would be boarding the ship when it reached non-US territory, approximately two weeks later.

Is your travel agent aware of this? Are HAL aware of this?

VP

We have to assume (yeah, I know what it means to Ass-U-Me) that HAL knows what they are doing. I'm not sure what other choice you have that would not cost you money.

I don't understand this. HAL knows what they are doing? They have no control over flight delays/cancellations, etc. They just purchase the cheapest airfare possible, and provide it as a "convenience" to passengers. They don't accept any responsibility if there are any problems. I like the part in the contract that suggests the passenger work directly with the airline if there are any problems as airlines are usually able to arrange alternative flights . Not if the delay isn't their problem, such as weather. And even if it is their fault, they can't make empty seats appear on flights if there aren't any. If someone needs an explanation on how cruise air works, read this sticky at the top of the cruise air forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

OP - this is an absolutely crazy flight schedule. I assume "two flights and a stop" over means you have one flight, and connect to another flight. That gives you two chances for delays; your original flight and then your connecting flight. You don't state your flight routing or airline, so can't provide any suggestions about that.

But, I would be very, very unhappy about this, and this is why cruise air is never my choice. cherylandtk has given you excellent advice, but problems like this is why one uses a TA.

It might be different for Australia departures. The 90 minute rule might be only for USA departures. Still, you have no cushion for any delays. How far is it from the airport to the cruise terminal? Do you have to clear customs in the airport in Sydney? This could cause more delays. That way you could have time to see some sites in the departure port (Sydney in this case), as well has more time to get over jet lag (looks like Sydney is 17 hours ahead of Vancouver).

I'm curious. If you live in Australian Capital Territory, why are you flying from Vancouver?

To clarify - Birubi is flying from Australia to Vancouver to board the ship. If she doesnt make it to Vancouver on time then LA is the next port.

It might be different for Australia departures. The 90 minute rule might be only for USA departures. Still, you have no cushion for any delays. How far is it from the airport to the cruise terminal? Do you have to clear customs in the airport in Sydney? This could cause more delays.

Now for the good news. I can't imagine that HAL wants to spend money to room-and-board you and fly you to the first port-of-call. We have to assume (yeah, I know what it means to Ass-U-Me) that HAL knows what they are doing. I'm not sure what other choice you have that would not cost you money.

Next time, you might book the air yourself, and fly in a day or two early. That way you could have time to see some sites in the departure port (Sydney in this case), as well has more time to get over jet lag (looks like Sydney is 17 hours ahead of Vancouver).

To clarify - Birubi is flying from Australia to Vancouver to board the ship. If she doesnt make it to Vancouver on time then LA is the next port.

Bluey is correct.

Since the earlier posts in this thread, I learned on another thread OP started they are flying from Australia to Vancouver to board.

The U.S. 90 minute prior to departure regulation, obviously, does not apply. I have no idea what regulation Canada may have as to reporting of manifests prior to the ship leaving.

If OP has to wait and board in LA, she loses three days of her cruise.

Thanks everyone, there are some good suggestions here.

We appreciate that is unlikely that we will make the ship and our TA is working hard to get HAL to adjust the situation.

The original flight arrangements gave us a 7hr window between landing and boarding. We are told that the arrangement have been changed because they have found a cheaper flight. We are now booked to fly to Auckland with a 3hr lay over then fly to Vancouver. Our worry is that it adds opportunity for delay.

I am not concerned about the change of arrangements as when we booked we knew it could change. I am worried that the time allowed between landing and boarding means that we will miss the ship and then have to fly on to LA. Also the stress associated with trying to do the impossible is a worry.

If you miss the ship in Vancouver, then have to meet the ship in LA, what will be the ship's next port of call? Are you likely to run up against the US PVSA? If you are on a Vancouver to HI run, you would not be allowed to board in LA because of the PVSA. Does the ship return to Vancouver or is there a cruise that ends in HI or elsewhere in the US? If the ship ends in the US, they won't let you board in LA and you would actually have to fly to HI (I'm making an assumption here) in order to board the ship to continue on to Australia.

That is your ammo against HAL to get them to change your flight, if it is the case.

Greetings all,

As Birubi's TA I wanted to add some information to this thread, so that you all had the full story. They are flying from Australia to Vancouver to do a 58 day cruise from Vancouver and circumnavigation around Australia. Firstly as my clients are in Australia the operation is slightly different than in the US and air deviations are not offered in Australia. I suspect that is becase there are very limited options for flights from Australia. They were originally booked on a codeshare flight with Air NZ that was operated by Air Canada. Apparently when the Australian office went to issue the tickets the fare they had costed the fly/cruise package on had increased significantly so the Australian office looked for other options and the flights they are now booked on are the only other option that has any hope of getting them there on time.

Their scheduled arrival is 2:15 with the ship set to sail at 4:45. Because of the timing of this flight the Sydney office had to get approval from the head office in the US. As the timing is so tight HAL advised us about the next port protection policy that when you book the air with HAL if the flight they have you booked on causes you to miss your cruise they will fly you on to the next port and pay for the accomodation and flight, I am not sure if they pay for other expenses but I will certainly be fighting for compensation for my client if this should eventuate.

I guess it is good to hear that none of you have had experience with next port protection and hopefully that is because it is very rare for this to occur. I certainly have never had a client miss a ship and hopefully these lovely people will not be the first!

While I can't get HAL to give me any details of how many Australians are on the same flight my guess is that it must a significant number as if it was only a few people surely they would have just ticketed the higher fare then have the exense of flying people on to LA and guests miss the start of their cruise. So if my assumption is correct despite saying otherwise I expect HAL would hold the ship rather than upset so many people. I have certainly been on cruises when ships were held for people that were delayed by flights before. But I would never expect a cruise line to admit that they would hold a ship for delayed flights as this could open up a minefield of problems. But I am sure a cruise line will hold a ship if the circumstances allow them to do so. I know at some ports the tides and other factors determine if a a ship can leave later than orignally planned.

I just checked the stats on the flight and it is indicated as arriving on time 87% of the time and any delays only average 9 minutes. So while tight if all goes smoothly they should make it.

To give my clients the best chance of dealing with this I have provided them with the HAL transfer which means at least someone in the airport will be looking out for them and the arrival of their flight. I have also organized wheel chair assistance for her eldery father which will hopefully whisk them thru the airport and customs quickly and have advised them to have the HAL airport rep paged immediately if they are concerned about their progress. I have also advised them to speak to the Air NZ staff on the plane if they know they are going to be delayed so that Air NZ can radio ahead to try and get things sorted before they arrive.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that things go well for them and that they are onboard to set sail from Vancouver.

Thanks everyone, there are some good suggestions here.

We appreciate that is unlikely that we will make the ship and our TA is working hard to get HAL to adjust the situation.

The original flight arrangements gave us a 7hr window between landing and boarding. We are told that the arrangement have been changed because they have found a cheaper flight. We are now booked to fly to Auckland with a 3hr lay over then fly to Vancouver. Our worry is that it adds opportunity for delay.

I am not concerned about the change of arrangements as when we booked we knew it could change. I am worried that the time allowed between landing and boarding means that we will miss the ship and then have to fly on to LA. Also the stress associated with trying to do the impossible is a worry.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you make the ship on time.

Please let us know the outcome of this situation.

Archived