Lawn Club Grill Reviews

Iamthesea

I'd like to hear some reviews on the Lawn Club Grill. :cool: Especially interested in hearing from those that ordered or helped prepare their own steaks. :)

We will be a party of 4 sailing out of Venice next year. After being out all day in Venice, and coming in late in the day (check-in is actually the day before and we overnight in port, ;)) I am considering making reservations for early evening so we will be up on deck during sailaway. We leave port at 5:00, but understand it takes a while to get out to sea. Obviously, we would have early reservations and not worry about dressing up to much.

Does anyone know what happens if you make reservations and it rains?

We enjoyed the Lawn Club Grill on Silho..cannot answer about rain & cancellation policy--but it is covered on top & has side flaps...

We enjoyed it in the Carib. It it was a very windy night--best to enjoy when ship is in port or on a very calm evening--maybe during sailaway would be fairly calm as they are going slow....

We had alot of fun with two other couples..the guys made pizza with lots of fanfare & help from staff. bring a camera. The meals served were excellent...and dressing up is not needed at this eatery!...It's grilling & outside fun...

worth one trip on your cruise...they also gave us discount lunch coupons for the panini place on the same deck..

Love the Lawn Club Grill!! The atmosphere is relaxed and fun and the food was outstanding. We were with a group of eight. Several of us (myself included) did participate in making the flat breads and two of the guys (not including me) helped with grilling the steaks. They said it was a wonderful experience and even the very experienced grill master in our group said he learned some new tips. Do go hungry as they really want you to try as much as you can.

As hcat said, the space is covered and the sides have hard plastic flaps so I would doubt that they would allow for cancellations past the deadline for rain unless it was raining hard enough to get inside the venue.

Great, thanks so much! Good to know it is covered and can be sheltered. I didn't realize that.

I'll ask the group tonight what they want to do. We could pick at food onshore and then have reservations at 5:00. I don't know, maybe we should enjoy the sailaway and not try to eat during it. But then again, it could be windy later on that evening. :rolleyes:

Lawn Club was excellent for meat lovers. We managed to time our reservation for our last August Santorini sailaway such that it was during sunset and the ship departed during dinner. Fantastic experience particularly because when sailing away from Santorini, the Solstice class ships organize a wine and cheese, or in our case jazz under the stars, event to coincide with departure, bringing even more atmosphere to the lawn area than usual. If you bring a magnum bottle of a very good red on board with your free allowance at embarkation, this is the place to enjoy it for the 25 cork fee.

My DH and I will be on the Silhouette in February with another couple and were also considering trying the Lawn Club Grill. This is only our second cruise and we did not eat at any specialty restaurants on our previous cruise. My question is can you order 2 different entrees or are you limited to just one entree per person? I was looking at the menu and am torn between two different entrees and was hoping I could try both.

My DH and I will be on the Silhouette in February with another couple and were also considering trying the Lawn Club Grill. This is only our second cruise and we did not eat at any specialty restaurants on our previous cruise. My question is can you order 2 different entrees or are you limited to just one entree per person? I was looking at the menu and am torn between two different entrees and was hoping I could try both.

As with every restaurant you can get as much as you like!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

This sounds like something my husband would love. It will just be the two of us...can this be enjoyed with just two or better with a group?

We did it twice with just two of us...it was a blast! I don't think it opens until 6 but could be wrong about that. We went both times while we were at sea and had a great time. Enjoy!!

We were also on Silhouette last fall when we had such a good time at Lawn Club Grill, thought it was FAR better than our night at Qsine.....service was great both nights we went, food excellent and rather than walking out so full we couldn't move as we did at Qsine, we had fun helping cook and prepare and interacting with the staff and the Maitre'd Jordan, who did a wonderful job. Best steak we've ever had at sea!!!:)

We did it twice with just two of us...it was a blast! I don't think it opens until 6 but could be wrong about that. We went both times while we were at sea and had a great time. Enjoy!!

Thanks Gracie!

Unless its drastically improved I wouldn't spend the extra money. Did the lawn club on the silhouette last fall and it certainly fell short of expectations.

In some older posts I do remember reading mostly not great reviews...but, recently (like this thread) seems to be some positive reviews...maybe it has improved? We will see....

I'm having a hard time with the concept of paying extra to grill your own steaks. I'm sure that the idea has novelty appeal to some folks, who (sadly) don't get to bb-q/grill at home. DH is a great grill-master here at home -- but he has about as much desire to grill his own steaks on a cruise as I have to clean the cabin bathroom! :rolleyes:

I'm having a hard time with the concept of paying extra to grill your own steaks. I'm sure that the idea has novelty appeal to some folks, who (sadly) don't get to bb-q/grill at home. DH is a great grill-master here at home -- but he has about as much desire to grill his own steaks on a cruise as I have to clean the cabin bathroom! :rolleyes:

I thought I was a pretty good grill-master, but I did learn a couple of things from the experience!;)

We loved it on the Silhouette this past March. Very casual, fun evening. We both made a flatbread pizza as we like different things -- his was round and perfection; mine sort of square and loaded with fun things to try. He grilled with grill master and learned a lot -- mainly that it is very HOT up there! Best steaks ever and we did order steaks and seafood kebob. Chocolate chip cookie warmed for dessert the best! Enjoy. Vicki:)

I was afraid of this, but maybe the timing will work out better, especially if it is hot. If it is cool, do have have heaters? We will have to deal with the wind. :rolleyes:

We are sailing on the Silhouette in less than a month so we will have a chance to sample the fare soon. Just want to let you know that the sail-out from Venice is just SPECTACULAR( we did it on the Solstice last year) and you will want to ascertain which side of the ship the Lawn Club faces, and if the view is obscured by the cabanas, because there is no restaurant in the would, including the one atop the Eiffel Tower, that would make up for the magnificent view of Venice and St Peter's Square that you have from the front and one side of the ship. You would not want to be running in and out of the restaurant to the rail to see it.

We did this as a group of eight and it was one of the best nights of our cruise. In my opinion though I would not miss the sailing out of Venice unless you have seen it before. We did the sail into Venice and took full advantage of the balcony to enjoy our breakfast and the vista in front of us was amazing. Not to be missed!

Snow bunny

Loved it, too! And Jordan was terrific both there and in the Porch! Grilling your iwn steak is optional...we didn't, but did make our own flatbreads...I think WE were the evening entertainment. We went as two, but were having such a good time that we "table-hopped" and sat at three different tables.

As much as I enjoyed the Hot Glass show on Solstice, we really liked this addition to the S class.

Andrew

We were a party of 2 and ate there 3 times on the last cruise. You don't have to grill your own steaks, they will do it for you, so the thought of "paying extra" to grill your own steak should not be an issue, you are paying for a specialty restaurant if you chose to dine in one. The lamb was excellent and they also have fish. The pizza as well as well as the main course was too much for 2 of us, and we were so full after it that dessert was a no no. The salad bar was ok but nothing special. Some nights were a little windy so take a wrap or sweater. I can't see that it would close unless there were storms with side winds, yes there are the heavy plastic drapes but i don't thinking woud want to be dining there with heavy wind or rain.

We are sailing on the Silhouette in less than a month so we will have a chance to sample the fare soon. Just want to let you know that the sail-out from Venice is just SPECTACULAR( we did it on the Solstice last year) and you will want to ascertain which side of the ship the Lawn Club faces, and if the view is obscured by the cabanas, because there is no restaurant in the would, including the one atop the Eiffel Tower, that would make up for the magnificent view of Venice and St Peter's Square that you have from the front and one side of the ship. You would not want to be running in and out of the restaurant to the rail to see it.

Every inch of rail on the side facing the Grand Canal will be full of people. If you're sitting in the Lawn Club Grill, I doubt you'll see anything through the crowd, and you have to get to the rail in good time if you want a good view. If your cabin has a balcony on the port side, it might be best to watch from there.

On our sailing in July, we were scheduled to leave at 5:00p.m. but didn't get going until nearer 6:00p.m. so leave your timing flexible. We were booked for early sitting in the MDR at 6:15 and had to go down sooner than we would have liked. As it was, we stayed on deck until around 6:35. The sailaway takes the best part of an hour.

We have a wonderful grill at home and use it a lot. But this was still fun and DH did learn some grilling techniques but more than that it was the interaction with staff that is far more fun than the cooking. You really get to talk to the staff and learn about their backgrounds, and then they also provide great service. We completely enjoyed our visits, SO MUCH different than any other cruise dining experience, THAT'S why it's worth the extra $$!!:D

I was afraid of this, but maybe the timing will work out better, especially if it is hot. If it is cool, do have have heaters? We will have to deal with the wind. :rolleyes:

I don't think the wind is an issue at all, the area is somewhat enclosed and covered with large plexiglas panels, same for the cold. I would think the grills would provide more than enough heat to keep it comfortable.