Princess/RCCL snob about to try Carnival. Help!

DeloreanGirl

I promised myself years ago that I would never sail on the S.S. Booze n' Gamble, but here we are.... 7 cruises in... and our friends want to "try" cruising so we booked a quick 5-day Eastern Carib. on Carnival since it was within our (last-minute) budget. :eek:

Has anyone who mainly sails with Princess tried Carnival? Was it like going from the Bellagio to Circus Circus? We're going in January, so I'm hoping the level of kids/noise/frat parties/etc. will be at a minimum. :rolleyes:

We just got off the British Isles cruise which was phenomenal. I never thought I'd be back on a ship for quite awhile, but here we are. I hope my standards weren't set too high with the violinist in the piazza, the Sanctuary, or the general age group on Princess. ;)

Thanks in advance! :D

I've been on both and there is definitely a difference in general atmosphere. You should know, too, that with a shorter cruise there is likely to be more of a party atmosphere and younger demographic no matter what time of year. Carnival does have its good points - they generally have good and varied musical entertainment in the evening throughout their larger ship (larger ships anyway) and they have some late night comedy which is good. I have to say, though, I don't recall much in the way of classical music, though. Depending on the ship you're on, they have something similar to the Sanctuary on some of their ships.

Have you considered looking at Celebrity? They have 3, 4 and 5 night short cruises in the Caribbean and Bahamas. If I was introducing someone to cruising (and didn't want to put them off forever, LOL...) I would definitely consider them. The Constellation is a nice ship, too. Just another suggestion...

I've been on both and there is definitely a difference in general atmosphere. You should know, too, that with a shorter cruise there is likely to be more of a party atmosphere and younger demographic no matter what time of year. Carnival does have its good points - they generally have good and varied musical entertainment in the evening throughout their larger ship (larger ships anyway) and they have some late night comedy which is good. I have to say, though, I don't recall much in the way of classical music, though. Depending on the ship you're on, they have something similar to the Sanctuary on some of their ships.

Have you considered looking at Celebrity? They have 3, 4 and 5 night short cruises in the Caribbean and Bahamas. If I was introducing someone to cruising (and didn't want to put them off forever, LOL...) I would definitely consider them. The Constellation is a nice ship, too. Just another suggestion...

Thanks for the info. :) Celebrity was out of our price range unfortunately. I did hear that Carnival's balcony rooms are larger, which should be interesting. It'll be neat to note (and enjoy) the differences for a few days.

True - Carnival does have some great balconies and their cabins are usually a decent size, too. One thing I like about them, they always have a little amenity package in the cabin bathrooms when you board - toothpaste, razors, breath right strips, dental floss, that kind of stuff.

Just go on with an open mind and I'm sure you'll have a great time especially if you're travelling with friends :D The passengers and crew on Carnival ships are usually a very friendly bunch.

I haven't cruised Carnival but my nephew just returned from a 3-day cruise last week. He's Platinum on Princess and has been a concierge for many years so he's familiar with the hotel/service industry. He and his girlfriend are in their 30's so they are target Carnival customers.

He said the cabin was large and well laid out but it was filthy and the steward a phantom. He said it was "disgusting" dirty and he's not picky. He thought the food, presentation and service wasn't even close to Princess. He had a good time but wouldn't cruise Carnival again no matter what.

That pretty much jibes with comments other friends and family members have said in the past: they had a good time but the cruise experience wasn't what they had come to expect.

The discount website I just checked shows that the Celebrity Constellation January 7, 2013 5-day cruise out of Miami is selling for $500 per person in a balcony cabin, which is the same price as the Carnival Destiny 5-day cruise on January 21st in a balcony cabin. I would sail Celebrity over Carnival any day (especially for the same price).

I promised myself years ago that I would never sail on the S.S. Booze n' Gamble, but here we are.... 7 cruises in... and our friends want to "try" cruising so we booked a quick 5-day Eastern Carib. on Carnival since it was within our (last-minute) budget. :eek:

Has anyone who mainly sails with Princess tried Carnival? Was it like going from the Bellagio to Circus Circus? We're going in January, so I'm hoping the level of kids/noise/frat parties/etc. will be at a minimum. :rolleyes:

We just got off the British Isles cruise which was phenomenal. I never thought I'd be back on a ship for quite awhile, but here we are. I hope my standards weren't set too high with the violinist in the piazza, the Sanctuary, or the general age group on Princess. ;)

Yes. And then some. I love the analogy. We just got off the Imagination this morning. Four day cruise; Monday to Friday. Just the two of us on a last minute cruise for an extremely low fare. While we always have a good time on any cruise, Carnival is rude awakening vs. Princess. Every few years we do it just to realize what we have with Princess.

I've never been on Carnival, but if the price is right and the sea is calling you, go and have a blast with your friends. Consider this a chill out cruise after the exhausting port intensive cruise in the British Isles. After all, we always need a vacation after a vacation right?:D

When you get back, we will eagerly await another review!

So you picked a cruise based on your budget.... You need to keep that in mind and not expect Princess.

Carnival will have a nice cabin. I've sailed them many times and the cabin is larger and typically as well maintained as any other cruise lines.

The dining room will be two story and a bit louder than Princess. Which if you embrace that can be fun. But if you want it to be just like Princess you won't like it.

The buffet can be crowded if you go at the busy time. Go a bit late and it will be fine. Also you can research your ship on the Carnival board for all the options for lunch.

The main pool will be more of a party area during scheduled events. The rest of the time the noise level may be the same as Princess with MUTS. There are adult areas with hot tubs and on some ships an adult pool.

Just do your research on the Carnival board about things that you want like reading areas, pools, food, etc and get specific for the ship you are on. Our first Carnival cruise, we ended up at a very loud table of ten. We were the loud table most nights. Why? We had church choir members who loved to sing and dance. And football fans who loved to loudly discuss their college teams. It was alot of fun. Of our 4 carnival cruises that was the only time it was that loud. Of course if that would bother you can get a table for just your group and do anytime dining so you can move around as you perfer. Late seating had fewer kids and large family groups.

Good luck with your research.

I have done 5 Carnival cruises 7 and 8 days each , all on the larger Conquest Class ships , Over the years we have seen a decline in Carnival overall , Used to have a different production show every night , Last cruise there was 2 on a 7 day cruise , They have added Meatloaf and Fried Chicken to the menu in MDR , Done away with live band on Lido deck ,Seems more and more of there activity is Passengers entertaing Passengers . They do have adult only Serenity area , Loungers, Hamocks , Seen my share of really drunk 20 somethings , who get loud ,rude . If Carnival was my only option for cruising , I'd quit. My 1st Princess cruise is coming in December . I hope it will be alot better than Carnival

Del,

You need to get out more often. There are much better cruise lines than Princess. I know they are owned by Carnival, but Princess pales in comparison to other cruise lines. Have an open mind - I bet you won't go back to Princess. Have a wonderful time!

We are Princess cruisers, but did a 7 day on the Carnival Legend out of Tampa in April.....one word to describe it was AWFUL...

The food was terrible excpt for the reuben sandwiches which I believe we had every day....lobster on formal night was salty and tough.

The pool is disruptive and totally out of control....they push the alcoholic drinks at every turn...the decor is dark and totally tasteless....

We will NEVER take another carnival cruise again....

We had a suite and they did not even provide lotion and shampoo.....who needs nore relief bands that they provide???

The room steward was nonexistant and we do not demand anything....

What a difference from Princess...

Good luck to you...

eclue:rolleyes:

Thank you all for the honest comments! We've sailed with Royal Caribbean more than Princess, which I've always assumed to be the middle ground between Crazy Carnival and Classy Princess. Disney actually set our expectations incredibly high. However, since this is just a quick getaway that we didn't see coming (and we've already been to one of the ports), I'm not too concerned. I wouldn't save up all year for a specific 7-day Carnival cruise, but since this one is a bit last minute, we figured "what the heck". And yes, it will be fun to write the review. I'll try to stay somewhat fair! :p I've already been Googling and YouTube'ing a bunch... and this boat looks like the inside of the Star Trek Enterprise!

I've never been on Carnival, but if the price is right and the sea is calling you, go and have a blast with your friends. Consider this a chill out cruise after the exhausting port intensive cruise in the British Isles. After all, we always need a vacation after a vacation right?:D

When you get back, we will eagerly await another review!

Aww, thanks! :D

I have cruised mainly Princess for the last several years. I have cruised Carnival twice. Definitely like going from the Bellagio to Circus Circus. Especially, if you are sailing a shorter cruise which typically isn't on the newer cruise line ships. I still had fun on those two Carnival cruises but there was absolutely no comparison in regards to atmosphere,etc. If you are going, just go in with knowing it won't be the same experience and enjoy the time with your friends.

Once in awhile I think about hopping on a 3 day Carnival cruise too get away (I'm only 40 minutes from the port) and then I say why not save that money and wait for a great fare on Princess. Since Princess will be doing shorter cruises starting next year I wouldn't even consider Carnival.

Del,

You need to get out more often. There are much better cruise lines than Princess. I know they are owned by Carnival, but Princess pales in comparison to other cruise lines. Have an open mind - I bet you won't go back to Princess. Have a wonderful time!

Do you think once the OP experiences Carnival they won't go back to Princess? I find that doubtful. I have cruised Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America. I don't think any of these lines pale in comparison to Princess. You must sail ships like Silver, Crystal, etc.

Thank you all for the honest comments! We've sailed with Royal Caribbean more than Princess, which I've always assumed to be the middle ground between Crazy Carnival and Classy Princess. Disney actually set our expectations incredibly high. However, since this is just a quick getaway that we didn't see coming (and we've already been to one of the ports), I'm not too concerned. I wouldn't save up all year for a specific 7-day Carnival cruise, but since this one is a bit last minute, we figured "what the heck". And yes, it will be fun to write the review. I'll try to stay somewhat fair! :p I've already been Googling and YouTube'ing a bunch... and this boat looks like the inside of the Star Trek Enterprise!

Sounds like you have a great attitude going into your cruise. Have a great time vacationing with your friends. I'm sure there are things on Carnival that you will enjoy.

Emily (OP) .... Don't panic on your decision. It's fun to try different cruise lines to see for yourself.

Some like Carnival better than others ... but it's worth your time to give it a try because it's the only way YOU will ever really know if it's a good fit for you.

~~~~~

I've done as many Carnival Cruises as I've done Princess. (so not many compared to most here) It just makes my Princess cruises so much more special. I can't do a Princess cruise every year or sometimes even every other year. But I want to SAIL.. It's different but I've enjoyed every one. Last year's Destiny cruise was great. Maybe more for the company and the ports. But except for the lines at the buffett and when tendering at Half Moon Cay there really wasn't too much to complain about. I truly belive you get what you pay for. And I had a great quick vacation for a very reasonable price.

It doesn't compare to a Princess cruise, but it's still a cruise.

Don't panic.

Try to get the best of it.

You will be cruising on a quite a remarkable ship at a very special moment.

Carnival Destiny is the first ship of this class - a big family of Destiny class ships. The oldest one.

This is the first mega ship built as a cruise ship.

This is the first cruise ship that surpassed the Queen Elizabeth (the liner of 1940) in gross tonnage (but not in displacement, not in length).

This ship represents a major breakthrough in cruising industry of that time (comparable with Oasis class 15 years later).

Your cruise will be one of the last few sailings of this ship under his present name. It's nearing major multi-multi-million reconstruction. It's new name will be Carnival Sunshine.

Find a moment to take good pictures of this ship for your family archive.

Just approach this ship with respect.

There will be two restaurants (MDR). Be the first to came there upon boarding to see Maitre D and ask for a table for two (if you want so). Or ask for a table by the window if you want to dine with other people. Contact Carnival to ask what you want in advance.

Reserve early seating.

The food in MDR should not be bad. Don't hesitate to order the whole menu to try everything.

Pay a visit to a specialty restaurant. Make sure it does not coincide with a "special" evening in the MDR.

Attend shows in the theatre.

Skip so-called "night life" - smoking/drinking/gambling parties, stupid late night comedies. You don't have to be there and then tell us how awful it was.

Can we have a relaxing vacation on a "Fun ship"?

Yes, we can.

It will be difficult in your situation (3 hours time difference) but try to be more active in the morning than in evening.

We get much more of a cruise when we see the sea and the sun rather than faces and bottles.

Explore the ship.

Note that Costa Concordia was a Destiny derivative.

Get understanding of how and where that was on the Concordia while attending the emergency drill near the lifeboats.

Explore these corridors later when they are empty. You may do almost a full circle around the ship there. You will be amazed by the vast empty space on this ship.

The Destiny does not have a full promenade deck. There are just two separate parts of it. Don't forget to walk there and enjoy sea views.

Make sure you find the way to the beautiful front observation deck with "wings" (Deck 9 above the bridge). Dont forget your camera! Other front observation areas are decks 6 and 7. Viewing areas are accessible from passenger dacks hallways.

The aft pool is reserved for adults. There will be both open to sun and shady places around.

If the weather permits, you'll have two beautiful days at Princess Cays and Grand Turk.

Don't look for Ruby Princess or Nieuw Amsterdam on Carnival Destiny.

Take it as is.

Don't follow stereotypes.

Build your own Destiny.

Enjoy your cruise.

Amazing how people who haven't cruised on Carnival offer up opinions.

The Carnival newer ships are nice. But my guess is that a five-day cruise could be on an older ship.

If price is a variable, I'd prefer a balcony on Carnival to an inside on Princess. They also have sofas in them, unlike standard Princess balcony rooms. For a port filled itinerary, not bad.

My issues with Carnival relate to crowded pool areas with small pools, subpar entertainment, and just adequate service. We still find great value in our Carnival cruises. But they are a notch below Princess and RCI on our rotation. Have a great cruise.

Del,

You indicate that you were once hired by Princess. Is that when you formed these opinions?

Archived