Help me overcome my fear of flying

celebrity

I have a bad back and can't sit for long periods. I usually get an aisle seat on longer flights so I can get up easily. The downside of that is that I also have anxiety (not fear of flying, but GAD), and if I don't look out the window often, I get dizzy and anxious. I have been able to fly as long as 6 hours in the aisle without issues or meds, but DURING THE DAY. The one time I flew to Europe, I had the window in both directions, and I thought I was going to flip out on the way there (overnight, dark outside, no visual reference). On the way back, although the flight was longer, it was daylight, and whenever I got "that feeling", I just looked out the window and it passed.

That said, the OP should remember that air travel is extremely safe. Airplanes are designed to take many times the stresses they actually experience during a normal flight (turbulence). A little bumpy weather is just that.....differences in wind direction / speed, and density changes that the plane flies through. The plane will easily withstand all of this. Pilots usually look for smooth air to minimize these effects on the passengers. Far more stressful than the flight is all the crap one needs to go thru before boarding the actual plane.

If you truly have anxiety, you should see a doctor. If you just want to "pass out" and sleep thru the flight (or most of it), you may want to look into OTC sleep aids like Benadryl-based stuff which will make you drowsy, but not necessarily relax you. My personal recommendation is = see a doctor, get the prescription, and have it with you, but do not take it until the flight is underway. If you make it thru the flight without the meds, great. If you feel the need to take it, they usually act within 30-60 minutes, so you should be fine either way. Whatever you do, if you take any meds, don't drink alcohol as that will magnify the effect and could actually make things worse.

Enjoy the flight, watch a movie, read a book. Drink fluids. Get up and go to the bathroom a couple of times to stretch your legs, etc. Most of all, enjoy the cruise !.

I don't mean to double your anxiety, but I know someone who is claustrophobic being on a cruise ship. Not just the small cabin, but she feels, with sea all around her, that there is no place to go. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm wondering if you've ever taken a cruise before?

Listen to music, read, watch a movie and sleep. The time will fly by.

Yes Karynanne.. Time will "FLY BY" for sure...

I flew airplanes for well over 40+ years...and, I can tell you, my career was there and, it flew by so fast, I can hardly remember it anymore....

How are you folks anyway??? ;)

OP I share your fear. We usually drive to our ports but next year we are doing the Med in early September coming home for 4 days and going to Hawaii. I am so excited about these trips but terrified of all the flying. I had already planned on asking my Dr for something to help me sleep but some of the suggestions on here sound great too. I don't want to let my fear of flying stop me from crossing things off my bucket list but I will feel better when my feet are firmly on the ground again. :)

Please help! I am over the moon that I am booked for Sept 2013 on the Equinox to Italy and the Greek Isles. This has been my dream trip and I'm finally taking the plunge. The one downer for me is flying. The idea of being stuck on a plane for so many hours is making me very anxious. The longest flight I've taken is 6 hours and that was rough. I don't have a fear of flying per se, I'm claustrophobic.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep calm on a flight from NY to Barcelona?

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/air-travel/fear-of-flying

Remember that once the airplane is moving forward, nothing bad will happen. So once you've taken off, you're good to go! (This helped me to realize). You are a zillion times safer in a plane than in a car, too.

Take LOTS of Ambien before take-off. You will be numb and sleep most of the flight.

Ummm, I would be careful with Ambien. As a nurse, I have seen my share of bizarre behaviour with patients who have taken this med. Even my girlfriend, who suffers from insomnia, can report less than pleasant side effects. Fear of flying is a toughy. Add claustrophobia is a double whammy. A low dose sedative like Valium or Xanax may be a better choice to calm the nerves. Of course, flying first class, as expensive as it is, may be another option.

oh I can really understand the fear of flying issues....

but not sure if the OP is claustrophobic or actually is afraid of the flight experience...

I had travelled widely until we had a very bad flight coming home....really I

didnt think we were going to make it...

the next time I had to get on a plane...I couldnt ...shook uncontrollably...got on and thought I was going to die , the fear was so severe...

I called my airline to see if there were some lectures...I found an on line support system.....and they had all kinds of good ideas...

I talked to my gp...he said he has not flown for a holiday for over 10 years and the couple of flights that he did do, he drank like a fish till he passed out...woe....that kind of advice from a doctor....no way....

I bought self help books....there is a good one on yoga on a plane...

I found a hypnotherapist....for 6 months I went every week....yes it relaxed me ...but that was it....it did nothing else for me...but everyone is different...

then I decided to try and take a sedative...I was so afraid it would not work....I took it a half an hour before boarding...hoping it would ease the act of actually getting on the plane...

it worked...I got on, and tried to sleep right away to pass the take off, very frightening for me...also any turbulence....and landing...

the next time, I focussed on the fact that if it worked last time, it will work again...and it did....

of course you need to see your doctor for it....ativan, xanax....they all do the job....but never liquor....

there is a poster who got some relaxation tapes...whatever works for you...and by the way will leave my email here if he can let me know how I can get those...

if anything I have said here is a help to anyone and you have questions, you can email me as well....

ahoymatey1athotmaildotcom

Yes Karynanne.. Time will "FLY BY" for sure...

I flew airplanes for well over 40+ years...and, I can tell you, my career was there and, it flew by so fast, I can hardly remember it anymore....

How are you folks anyway??? ;)

LOL, LOL...Gary, after re-reading my post, I noticed my awful pun. Groan....

We're just great! Thanks for asking!

Karyn

Please help! I am over the moon that I am booked for Sept 2013 on the Equinox to Italy and the Greek Isles. This has been my dream trip and I'm finally taking the plunge. The one downer for me is flying. The idea of being stuck on a plane for so many hours is making me very anxious. The longest flight I've taken is 6 hours and that was rough. I don't have a fear of flying per se, I'm claustrophobic.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep calm on a flight from NY to Barcelona?

1. Take a deep breath- your fear is not unusual or weird etc.

2.Now that you are breathing normally think about your cruise. The wonderful lux of having someone else do the cooking,cleaning etc. The pure joy of having a nice glass of wine ( or 2) with a lovely dinner and not worrying about driving home.

3.Think about your ports-plan some time in BCN prior to the cruise-its a wonderful vibrant city. Plan your excursions

4. Now that you have all of this in your head/dreams Plan your flight

5.Does your airline have a day passes to its lounge? Some credit cards give day passes as a perk-check into this. The lounge is a relaxing area to wait in prior to your flight.

6.Look up your flight equipment (ie the plane) on seat guru. Get an idea of where you are sitting in relation to the galley, restrooms etc.Once you have this information in your head You KNOW the limitations. This may make your feelings of claustrophobia lessen.

7.Talk to your MD-ask for Rx for a mild sleeping pill etc. You may just be able to sleep through the major portion of your flight.

8.Chant-not oomm(unless you want to) but I'm cruising. Barcelona, Greek Ils. etc

9. Have a wonderful trip

Carole

For what it is worth, I have survived a horrific airline crash (747 that crashed on take off) and I still fly. I also suffer from claustrophobia - and I still fly.

I have done cognitive behavioral therapy to help with the flying issues - it has helped tremedously. I also have a drink before take off- regardless of how long the flight is. I cannot take any prescription meds - having already survived a crash, I can't bring myself to drug myself in case anything happens again. I want to be aware. I may have a few drinks on board after take off and with the help from doing CBT, I generally do Ok. I do make sure I have an aisle seat. I also spring for at least business class no matter how long the flight. The extra space in the seats makes a huge difference and not having someone pressing right up against me also makes a huge difference in the claustrophobic feeling. I also drink lots of water, wear loose fitting clothes and use that air vent over my seat like it is going out of style! The air blowing directly on me definitely makes a difference.

If it is claustrophobia - then there are behavioral ideas to try - hypnosis, CBT, counseling, etc. There are also medications that can help - for both routes, definitely, definitely seek help form your medical profressional. It is so worth it.

There is a lot of good advice from frequent travelers here - the post above with the info about SeatGuru, self talk/chanting "I'm on a cruise, I'm on a cruise", checking into the lounge options, etc - all excellent and all things that I do also - it does help. And do talk to you medical professional. While medications do work, there are other options that are not pills and may work better helping get through the actual problem rather than ust a temporary solution.

I also simply had to decide that I would not be stopped from seeing and experiencing what the world has to offer and if the price of seeing the wonders of the world was flying - I would learn to deal with it. Yes, I am still extremely anxious for the days leading up to the flight and right up through take off - but I do remind myself over and over and over that flying is overall much safer than the drive to the airport (especially where i live!) and, with having already been through an actual crash - the odds are with me. Does it always work - no. This last flight I was in tears before and during take off- we left in a storm and it made it very tough for me. Did I make it through the flight without freaking out after that - yes, with a few stiff drinks, some self-talk and a good book.

Good luck - you can do it. So many amazing places to experience in this world - don't be limited by a fear of flying or claustrophobia!

Edited by reedprincess

Dear Celebrity,

I used to fly all over the world several times a year and love it. Had my pilots license and flew a small plane. Yet five years was flying to Europe very comfortably, after six hours,within a few seconds was in a major panic. The plane felt like a flying coffin and I had this insane urgency to jump out, as though I'd explode if I didn't jump out a window!! Embarrassing to say, but I had a cast recently and the same happened. On a walk and out of the blue, THE CAST HAD TO COME OFF. Claustrophobia is not so an uncommon happening as we age despite NEVER having experienced it before.

My doctor is a wise gentleman, and has seen this many times over the years. He gave me a medication regime that has worked marvelously. I'm flying to Nepal in a few weeks and with his help I'm going to be fine despite three flights with total flight time of 30+ hours each way. Hope you give it a shot. :)

I also vote for having you and your travel companion sitting in seats that are "aisles across". Having that empty space between you as you turn and face each other to speak seems to be a decisive factor in feeling like you aren't hemmed in. While looking out the window is nice in that it gives you a sense of wide open space, having someone sitting so close next to you, even your beloved, might not be such a good thing. Being able to see all the way up and down the aisle can give you a feeling that you are in the middle of a wide, open vehicle and you can get up easily and walk around if you begin to feel "jumpy"

Yes, discuss this with your doctor and follow his/her directions.

I think it goes without saying that if the OP were to pursue medications such as xanax or ambien, they would HAVE to go through their doctor to get a prescription. I see no harm in suggesting it.

I used to have horrible anxiety about flying, talked to my doc and he prescribed xanax when I needed to fly. After about ten years of having to fly 4-5 times a year on our corporate jet, and then a few commercial flights a year, I no longer have the anxiety issues.

I have an employee that has huge flying issues, his doc prescribed valium for when he has to fly. The more he has flown, the less he has to use it.

i feel the OP's pain, and realize how it can cause you to really miss out on a lot of great life experiences. If it takes a bit of medication to get over the hump, it is well worth it. I can attest to the improved quality of my life as my wife and I take at least 5 "flying trips" a year now!

I totally relate to your flying anxiety history and agree with your opinions regarding suggesting medication...so here's mine: Ativan! It's quick working, gets out of one's system fairly rapidly, if one .5 mg tab doesn't take the edge off another tab may be taken, less groggy after-effects than with Valium or Xanax (personal experience). Just one more medication choice to discuss with physician.

I don't think it's a good idea to recommend prescription medications to any poster here. We don't know the OP's medical history nor any other pertinent information. To talk about Bonine is one thing, but things like Ambien or Xanax, meds that have serious side effects, is really not a good idea.

OP, speak to your personal physician. Don't take for prescription medication by posters on this board who don't know anything about you. We don't know your medical history nor anything else. The best thing to do is to see your physician and talk about your fear of flying. BTW, no one here can help you get rid of your fears.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that the poster go out and by meds on the street. Of course she would need to speak to a physician. Just reporting that it is quite helpful to me when flying and I did get it from my doctor after discussing my fears.

Linda

Find yourself a NLP practitioner/master practitioner/trainer.... simply phobia cure and you'll be sorted!

First of all you need to remind yourself, that you get on the highway and drive or ride as a passenger almost every day, and that is much more dangerous than flying. However, I have many phobias myself including flying so I know that alone does not work.

I am also terrified on the dentist. This past winter I needed fillings and my dentist was PG and so she could not give me gas. She suggested I ask my MD Dr. for xanax. I did and 12 pills was only $2 as it was generic of Xanax. The best $2 I ever spent!

Now it is addictive so be careful with it. I still have 5 of my 12 pills from this prescription from 3 dentist visits and flying back and forth to Europe in June so it does not take much to help you to be calm and not terrified; I think I have done well. I plan to use this from now on for the dentist as it is much better than the gas in my opinion. I will also use this when flying.

Some people says it knocks them out. with me it did not I was still aware of things around me-it was more I just did not care. I did sleep some but it was a normal amount for a trip that long (9 hour flight)

To avoid flying we are taking the QM2 to UK. A few years ago I had to take a 47 day cruise via Cape Horn to Cape Town and in April I came back from New Zealand to US on a container ship. Good luck

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that the poster go out and by meds on the street. Of course she would need to speak to a physician. Just reporting that it is quite helpful to me when flying and I did get it from my doctor after discussing my fears.

Linda

Her doctor should know her history and if if he/she is ethical he/she would not prescribe xanax if the OP should not have it.

Sometimes people read more into posts than what is there so don't let it bother you. It makes me wonder when I see these type posts if they have a friend or family member with an addiction problem. However, I do understand their fears. My sis's ex-husband broke his back in a car wreck 40 plus years ago and got addicted to narcotics while he was healing. He battled with pill addiction for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately many people just do not realize how addictive narcotics are and abuse the amount they take against what their physician has said. I was always the opposite. I would take just enough to dull the pain so that it was bearable and I would try something like Ibuprofen when the pain lessened a bit instead of continuing the prescription pain med whenever I had to take pain meds such as after surgery etc.

To the OP: Valerian root is an over the counter herb that calms you that I have used before when flying-it does help, but of course not as well as the xanax. Melatonin also helps you to relax and sleep-if you are afraid of xanax. Ask your MD about those if you are afraid of xanax.

One thing too-you can't mix Xanax with alcohol, but that will be in the pharmacy literature with your prescription.

Bottom line-don't give up your trip- I too took my dream trip to the Med this past summer. I do not regret it one bit!