Best luggage for cruising

remydiva

I took too big and heavy a suitcase on my last 13 cruise Grand Med. With tight restrictions on weight, I want to buy a new hopefully smaller suitcase (I took a big 28" one) that is light, strong, 360 wheels but spacious enough with flaps, pockets, etc to accomodate a couple of formal nites, shoes and clothes for 2-3 wks.

any suggestions?

i hope this thread doesn't get moved because who else but the tens of thousands of avid cruisers to ask for a recommendation.:confused:

Since my wife and I were on the same cruise with you, I can tell you what we used.

Each of us had a standard sized "carry on" roller case. We also had a single rolling "Garment Bag" which was able to hold everything we had on hangers along with the items we could not take through security, like larger liquids,etc. We even had enough extra space for a few souvenirs to bring home.

The rolling garment bag weighed in at almost exactly 50 lbs. loaded. The two carry-on bags were about 35 lbs each.

We did do a couple of loads of laundry during the cruise.(one whites and one colors)

I have Eagle Creek "Tarmac" luggage in a variety of sizes. It's 100% guaranteed and if anything is broken (such as the telescope handle on mine), they will repair it for free. My 28" bag is just over 9-lb, my 25" is about 7-lb. Mine is a bright orange which makes it easy to spot anywhere.

A few years ago I bought a new suitcase for myself, an International Traveler-0 model (IT-0). The 28" suitcase weighs around 6 lbs empty. This is in comparison to the previous 28" one I used before that weighed 13.5 lbs.

They now have this model with spinner wheels.

What I really like about this suitcase is the pull handle goes all the way across the entire width of the suitcase, so it's really great to move it. You don't have that narrow little pull-out handle; you have a big wide one that gives the suitcase more stability. Also, it has two big and well-padded outer pockets.

Love this suitcase. Google search for IT-0 suitcase. They have it in various sizes.

I have Eagle Creek "Tarmac" luggage in a variety of sizes. It's 100% guaranteed and if anything is broken (such as the telescope handle on mine), they will repair it for free. My 28" bag is just over 9-lb, my 25" is about 7-lb. Mine is a bright orange which makes it easy to spot anywhere.

We have the same stuff in black.....and they really do repair or replace it free. I had one bag that took a beating from the airline. It was fixed once and replaced the second time.....no more problems. Also, I have the Eagle Creek hanging toiletry bag (called a Wallaby). It is awesome! I'm on my second one in 20 years!

I accidentally forgot and left the strap (the one used to hook on a second piece of luggage) on one bag when I checked it. It got caught in the belts on the baggage claim carousel at the airport and was completely shredded.....looked like a frizzy ponytail hanging on my bag. :eek: Eagle Creek even covers stupidity on the part of the traveler....they sent me two new ones! Great luggage! :)

If weight was not a concern, this would not be my favorite luggage but we have 3 "heys" large suitcases that I bought at TJ Maxx. They also have them at Sam's and Costco and what seems like everywhere else. It is incredibly light weight and easy to move (one seems similar to spinners).

http://shop.heys.ca/

These suitcases are incredibly light and have survived far more trips then I would ever expect. They don't seem that sturdy (as they are really lightweight and thin) but they seem to be doing great as I have seen this thrown around with no marks or dents.

I have had several pieces of LL Bean sportsman luggage over the years and it has been great for me. They replace it if anything goes wrong at all, no questions asked. You can get it monogramed too which makes it easy to find and makes it less unlikely someone will mistakenly take it. After packing in the Sportsman bag, I have not even come close to it weighing over 50 lbs and that includes bringing wine in it. I also use samsonite for my carry-on with spinner wheels.

I use a Eagle Creek Load Warrior, light and stable when I am rolling the bag. Love the sturdy grips, bag handlers love the multiple grips on the side and the bottom. Combined with packing cubes and folders you have IMO the best luggage combination.

We prefer rolling duffles, specifically the ones with a separate compartment for shoes etc. Spinners are nice until you encounter rough pavement or uneven craks in the sidewalk. However, we have 30" duffles. Anyone who can pack for two weeks with formal gear etc. in a suitcase smaller than 28" has my undying admiration:D.

We have the same stuff in black.....and they really do repair or replace it free. I had one bag that took a beating from the airline. It was fixed once and replaced the second time.....no more problems. Also, I have the Eagle Creek hanging toiletry bag (called a Wallaby). It is awesome! I'm on my second one in 20 years!

I accidentally forgot and left the strap (the one used to hook on a second piece of luggage) on one bag when I checked it. It got caught in the belts on the baggage claim carousel at the airport and was completely shredded.....looked like a frizzy ponytail hanging on my bag. :eek: Eagle Creek even covers stupidity on the part of the traveler....they sent me two new ones! Great luggage! :)

The Eagle Creek luggage appears to be exactly what we would need for cruising..great guarantee. If you need to have it repaired, do you have to pack it up and send it pack to company? Do they pay for shipping it back? Also, how do you pack it to send back?

Thanks.

I'll preface my comments by saying I use my luggage nearly every week, for trips long and short, and durability matters most of all. After trashing many cheap alternatives I've settled on two makers as my go to choices.

#1 but most pricey is Rimowa. Extremely light, bonded carbon shell that is nearly indestructible. Probably the last piece of luggage a casual traveller will ever buy. My main bag has 200k flight miles on it and looks and works like new.

#2 and somewhat less dear price wise is Briggs & Riley. Much heavier ballistic nylon construction. But also very durable. I have one bag that's seen service every month for the past 15 years. It's worn, but still works well. The poor mans TUMI, B&R is what real travelers (not just the style conscious really use) just look around any airport.

The Eagle Creek luggage appears to be exactly what we would need for cruising..great guarantee. If you need to have it repaired, do you have to pack it up and send it pack to company? Do they pay for shipping it back? Also, how do you pack it to send back?

Thanks.

This first time I sent the one bag in, I paid for it (not cheap). They paid to return it to me.

The second time, I called them and told them I had already had the bag fixed once and I was none too happy to be sending it in again. They paid both ways....and I got a new bag back. It is the same design but a slightly different material and is MUCH more sturdy. It looks almost new, and it has traveled by air as checked baggage at least 3 to 4 times a month for the last year! I'm very pleased with it!

This first time I sent the one bag in, I paid for it (not cheap). They paid to return it to me.

The second time, I called them and told them I had already had the bag fixed once and I was none too happy to be sending it in again. They paid both ways....and I got a new bag back. It is the same design but a slightly different material and is MUCH more sturdy. It looks almost new, and it has traveled by air as checked baggage at least 3 to 4 times a month for the last year! I'm very pleased with it!

Just cruious...how did you box it up to send back? Did you have to keep the packaging that it was sent in or something else? I checked the Eagle Creek website and their luggage looks like what we want. However, I was wondering what kind of a hassle it was to get it ready to send back due to the great warranty?!

Just a suggestion - make sure to pay attention to the 'size' by airline standards. A 28 inch will probably be OK but I am careful so I bought a 25 inch just incase the handles and wheels get included as part of the usual 62 inch limit. I am happy with the set of Samsonite spinners we bought from Costco less than $200 for a 20 and 25 in set. Not super fancy with lots of pockets but I use packing cubes so thats not very important for me.

Eagle Creek luggage is very light. I do find it hard to pack even with packing cubes (I bought some from EBags). Because the Eagle Creek is so light ours is very soft sided. DH caught some plastic in an inside zipper and being rather impatient he broke it. We were able to drive to the repair place in California so there was no charges at all.

A few years ago we found the Ful 30" rolling duffel at Costco for $30. It's the absolute best for a cruise. It has two large compartments, and three smaller ones, and lots of other places to sort things. It holds enough for both my cruise stuff and my sons, although at that point it's pushing the weight limit. By itself, it's fairly light for it's size.

When it's unpacked, it rolls nicely under the Princess bed and is out of the way for the cruise. I'd easily pay twice or three times what I did for it. My local Costco just got them in again for $50. Definitely worth the money.

Don't pack for two weeks, pack for one week and repeat.:)

And find the ugliest color available.....It will save you when the village idiot packs his passport with the notebook Embarking at the Port!:D

Opinions vary......going to Costco today even though we have 30" Antlers that i chose because they only weigh 7# and are still perfect after 3 years

Just cruious...how did you box it up to send back? Did you have to keep the packaging that it was sent in or something else? I checked the Eagle Creek website and their luggage looks like what we want. However, I was wondering what kind of a hassle it was to get it ready to send back due to the great warranty?!

We put the bag in a box the first time, but that was because UPS required that at the time. The second time, we just put a mailing label on the bag itself. Of course, we had to secure it so it didn't come off during shipping.

If you are really thinking that's the luggage you want, you might call Eagle Creeek's customer service and ask them about that. They are REALLY great to work with! They really understand "customer service"!

Archived