Home from Alaska IP cruise on Volendam

brichar499

Just some quick comments.

On balance, another great HAL cruise. Weather could have been better, but that's Alaska. It was our first northern clime cruise after 18 in tropical weather. A lesson learned is don't spend money on a balcony cabin; it's too damn cold and you'll need the funds for the pricey excursions involving trains and planes.

I was VERY impressed with the overall condition of the Volendam. Thirteen years in operation and most everything seemed to work, the carpets and furnishings were fresh, and there was very little rust on exterior surfaces.

I have mixed emotions about the evolving entertainment situation. I will say from the start that I was entertained. However, there were no real production shows. The three shows with the showroom entertainers were static and did not contain one set change throughout. Two female dancers, five singers, and the band on stage. They even narrowed the stage with strategically placed panels so it wouldn't appear empty. On the plus side the talent and music selection were first rate. There was also a show with an ex-Olympian acrobat and one with a magician/comedian. There is definitely budget cutting in this area.

We enjoyed the MDR food for both lunch and dinner. We found the Canaletto to have slipped in food and service from two previous cruises. No way can they up charge for this restaurant and have it last long.

Otherwise, service throughout the ship was fully up to HAL standards.

Don't hesitate to book a cruise on ms Volendam.

Thanks very much for sharing with us - the volendam was the first ship we did when i returned to HAL and introduced DH to it. A lot of fond memories there:)

Sounds like a good cruise overall. Welcome Home:):)

We have just returned home after cruising to Alaska in the last week of August, the weather in Vancouver & Alaska-Rockies was just great. We had one day of drizzly rain on the first full day cruising,after that it was sunny especially in Glacier Bay, just wall to wall blue sky, everyone started off wrapped up and as we sailed further in and we got towards lunch time had to keep popping back to the stateroom to put on lighter clothes!

Found the MDR was excellent, thou was hoping to have sampled the famed Halibut, but it didn't make an appearance.

Entertainment:We enjoyed the singers and the bits of stage props they had to work with, but found the dancers out of content with rest of the show ( only having two seemed to be kind of tick box style as 'must have dancers on' needed more to make a show) but as we were not there for the entertainment, so we didn't mind overall.

This is the first time with this cruise line and would not hesitate to cruise with them again. :)

Archived