HAL and CC Roll Calls .....

sail7seas

I just looked at Roll Calls for three cruises we have booked.

I didn't recognize more than three posters' names among the three I glanced at.

Is it common for people to post only to a Roll Call and hardly or not at all to the main Forum for the cruise line or is this peculiar to HAL Roll Calls?

Anyone else notice they don't recognize many names of folks on Roll Calls for their cruises?

Most of the members of our Roll Call do not post on the HAL board. They do post on the Ports of Call boards. Most people appear to be more interested in the ports they will be visiting and the people they will be meeting than learning about the day to day HAL stuff. For us, with this itinerary, the ports are way more interesting than the ship. We have 3 sea days on our 20 day cruise, lot's of planning for the ports!

I don't participate much in the Roll Calls for our cruises and often, especially of late, don't even bother to sign up. When I think back about it I participated pretty heavily in 2004 for the Oosterdam, in 2005 for the old Celebrity Galaxy, in 2007 for the Veendam, and then in a little in 2011 for the Maasdam. I did notice that for the Maasdam cruise the Roll Call was actually relatively active for a HAL Roll Call and there actually was a nice gathering. Interestingly we joined the Maasdam on the last leg of a Collectors' Cruise, in this case three somewhat distinct itineraries in a roll that added up to some 30+ days, and a number of CC'ers had been on for the whole cruise so they'd gotten to know each other quite well. Indeed they seemed to have known each other from previous cruises yet I can't say that I recognized the "handles" or names of more than three or four as regular forum participants.

Is it common for people to post only to a Roll Call and hardly or not at all to the main Forum for the cruise line or is this peculiar to HAL Roll Calls?

Anyone else notice they don't recognize many names of folks on Roll Calls for their cruises?

Our roll call was like that. I was the only one on there that posted on the HAL board. Our roll call was very quiet though and only got rolling the week or 2 before the cruise, and then it was only 4 of us.

Sails, we have 184 people signed up for our roll call. The vast majority of them only post on the roll call. It is by far the largest roll call I have coordinated,with plenty of help to be sure.

I found quite a few have joined just to be able to get on the private excursions the group has planned. As our roll call has been going for over a year those spots have been long gone.

Our roll call is very active but few post on the HAL boards . Over time, I have had emails from fellow cc'ers - and the message seems the same - they are concerned about caustic comments - I'm sure the patrol knows who I am thinking of - NO one wants to be called a 'know it all' or feel that they are being laughed at. It's an internet board - true - but some people do follow the Golden Rule and can be very hurt when they are attacked and meant no harm. The word is deadly when you can't see eyes or body language and people can be misunderstood easily. These people are nervous to post - so yes, they stay low and read but they don't post. Very sad really.

I wish more would. I have met a lot of wonderful people through roll calls and frankly, I encourage everyone to join in. We would have never met people who we enjoy so much if we hadn't.:)

There is probably a flame here somplace I'm sure - my skin isn't that thick - but I'm just reporting.

Thank goodness that never happens here on HAL board ;)
Well ... what I mean is they're telling each incorrect things that are pretty common knowledge here ... like some say you can't bring wine, or are limited in number of bottles, etc

Yup, totally different animal. Many people don't care what cruise line they sail (heck some can't tell you the ship's name!).

Roll calls can be wonderful ways to split costs on excursions. I'm usually not interested in meet and greets, but participate more for excursion planning.

If it's a run-of-the-mill Caribbean run we don't post much at all anywhere. We're totally done with those now so I will be more active in roll calls.

My upcoming will be the third cruise since discovering the CC boards. On my Med cruise I must have read the roll call posts, as I knew there were upsells being offered and was able to grab a deal.

Last cruise to the British Isles, we sailed the second half of a Collector's cruise and did join the Roll Call and attended the Meet and Greet. Might have put me off doing that for life. The people on the Roll Call were, with the exception of one person, not posters to the HAL board. Also, it was people on the Collector's cruise who put together both M&Gs and they scheduled the second one for the day we boarded the ship. Not the best day, after traveling all day/night and going through check-in, etc etc. There was an odd feeling of being odd-man-out as we were joining a group that was already established. After the M&G I never got together with any of those people again, unless it was to say hi in passing.

Same situation this time, we are the second half of a Collector's cruise. I know the RC for the first group is very busy, though ours is starting to pick up. It seems like a great group of people and I"m looking forward to trying it again. Again, only one or two others who post here on the HAL board.

Funny thing on that British Isles cruise. I had stopped to chat for a bit with one of the people from the Roll Call and my very favorite Lido/Canaletto steward came by. We greeted each other by name and I think I even got a hug. This gentleman was a big part of making that my best cruise ever. Anyway, this woman was horrified that I was on a first-name basis with "the help". She never stopped talking about the fact that the beverage manager was at the first M&G. I was underwhelmed.

I have to stick up for people who roll-call but do not post regularly. There can be lots of reasons for such behavior......including:

1. I might have no questions left that haven't been answered by a good search through previous threads.

2. When someone asks a question, someone else gets there first with what I was going to say. I think "echoing" is pretty useless, most of the time.

3. Some of us just don't "feel" experienced enough to tell others what to do.

4. I don't have a strong opinion about stuff, AND take everything I read with a giant grain of salt. So when someone goes off on how XXXX was the best / worst ship/cruise ever...... it's just not worth getting involved.

But for those of you who DO post often and regularly, THANK YOU. Many of us are lurkers who really DO appreciate your expertise and willingness to help. Just don't think badly of us.....

Barb in so cal. The lurker. (one of many!!)

Archived