How long to wait for specials to Alaska?

roblox84

I'm planning a cruise to Alaska on Star Princess and was just wondering when does Princess usually send out promotions? Ive read somewhere that more promotions start coming around 2 months before the cruise since that is when all passengers have to pay the fare?

[quote name='BettyCruiser']This year mid to late May they had really good prices for Alaska.[/quote]

Yes I am planning a trip in late May. Do you think I should wait longer in case of price drop/promotions or should I book in a month or two when I have everything arranged?

[quote name='ttnc4me']Yep. We booked ours two months before - half price from early bookings. No way to know what will happen though.[/quote]

Ok that's good to know. I'm thinking that May isn't popular for cruising Alaska so hopefully it shouldn't sell out, but as long as the price doesn't go up i'll be fine. But if it does, there will be 3 more months to try for, lol.

[quote name='roblox84']Yes I am planning a trip in late May. Do you think I should wait longer in case of price drop/promotions or should I book in a month or two when I have everything arranged?[/QUOTE]

YES - wait if you're not picky about the cabin. They usually release discount prices around Feb. & March for May AK cruises. Even if you don't get a mailer, your TA can pull up [I]every[/I] promotion that you're eligible for, simply by giving her your Captain's Circle number. If the agent doesn't know how to do this, find one that does and book with them!

No need to wait. Book now, pick the cabin of your dreams, and when the price goes down, call your agent to get the lower price or simply rebook with the new promotion. As long as your agent doesn't charge a cancellation or change fee, you'll save money. Also be aware that some promotions are booked with non-refundable deposits.

[quote name='sunluva7']No need to wait. Book now, pick the cabin of your dreams, and when the price goes down, call your agent to get the lower price or simply rebook with the new promotion. As long as your agent doesn't charge a cancellation or change fee, you'll save money. Also be aware that some promotions are booked with non-refundable deposits.[/quote]

The OP is looking for specials that may exist about two months before sailing.

That would be after final payment and usually for new bookings only, so to take advantage of these flash sales if a booking existed would require paying a penalty to Princess to cancel the original booking.

The best prices could be after final payment and for neww bookings only. However, it is also possible that the prices will go up after final payment if sales are going well. So you are gambling by waiting. Also, keep an eye on airfares. It won't do you much good to safe $200 on the cruise and pay an extra $300 to get there.

I have been sailing Alaska for almost 20 years. Consistantly EVERY year, Princess has some of the best rate drops of the Alaska cruises. This year, they did come out earlier than usual, which has been after final payments.

To take advantage of these, you MUST be flexable and have a few cruises you can take. I suggest you block out time that would allow at least 3 cruises, if you truely want to get the lowest priced deals.

But- wrong thiniking that "May isn't popular" it certainly is. The prime time is mid May and later. I don't consider prior to that myself, unpredictable weather potential is greater.

Usually I get exceptional rates in May in Alaska.

This year I was tied to a specific ship due to a coastal I was on (trying to do 3 sailings in a row) and my May sailings on the Sapphire were very pricey. One of the sailings was sold out 5-6 months in advance and eventually opened up some cabins but was not cheap at all. I was expecting a price reduction and never got it. I have never paid so much for a cabin (mini suite) as I did this year. I guess it balances out as I have gotten very cheap prices in the past.

On a flip side, we had fabulous weather for all 3 weeks! A tad cooler than normal but very little rain.

I think it also depends on cabin type. I noticed that a lot of the best special pricing has been in inside cabins or cabins with an obstructed view. I have gotten good deals about 1 month prior to final payment, but I was very flexible in terms of route and date of sailing.

As a general observation, I have noticed that this year and last year, the best specials were on one way cruises either northbound or southbound cruises with the round trip from Seattle prices more consistently higher.

[quote name='caribill']That would be after final payment and usually for new bookings only, so to take advantage of these flash sales if a booking existed would require paying a penalty to Princess to cancel the original booking.[/quote]

Thanks for that, I just signed on to ask that question.

[quote name='Budget Queen']I have been sailing Alaska for almost 20 years. Consistantly EVERY year, Princess has some of the best rate drops of the Alaska cruises. This year, they did come out earlier than usual, which has been after final payments.

To take advantage of these, you MUST be flexable and have a few cruises you can take. I suggest you block out time that would allow at least 3 cruises, if you truely want to get the lowest priced deals.

But- wrong thiniking that "May isn't popular" it certainly is. The prime time is mid May and later. I don't consider prior to that myself, unpredictable weather potential is greater.[/quote]

I am pretty much keeping an open schedule so that I would be able to go whenever the best deals come around. If that means going in May or even September, so be it! Usually i'm the type that likes the security and alway's books months in advance but i'm willing to take a gamble on this trip :)

I need to ask though, are the promotions worth waiting for? Would they just be something like a free room upgrade or can they be something like 40-50 percent off fares?

[quote name='roblox84']Thanks for that, I just signed on to ask that question.

I am pretty much keeping an open schedule so that I would be able to go whenever the best deals come around. If that means going in May or even September, so be it! Usually i'm the type that likes the security and alway's books months in advance but i'm willing to take a gamble on this trip :)

I need to ask though, are the promotions worth waiting for? Would they just be something like a free room upgrade or can they be something like 40-50 percent off fares?[/QUOTE]

Yes the promotions were significant this year. Easy to pick up $799 on a B2B 14 dayer in August. $499 was the "regular" price. These were all insides, which many people turn their noses up at. BUT I will always say- I'm there and if you "have" to have a balcony/suite etc. and won't go without one, then your staying home. :) I went on three cruises this year and go every year to Alaska. My priority- depends on what "yours" it. But the deals are consistantly there with Princess, IF you are flexable.

Best fare cut I ever received to Alaska was on New Years Eve. We saved well over $1000 on that cruise and upgraded the room from a balcony to a mini. It was the shortest little window of time, but we went from over $2000 to under $1000 for the both of us in a mini. Even the guy from Princess CS who refared our cruise remarked that he had never seen anything quite like that. We were very pleased! This is why I check the website every single day. Takes two minutes and I can save lots of money! :)

Archived