On TA's do you run out of supplies?

pilotboy1985

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking my first TA this year. Mariner of the Seas from Rome to Houston, Texas. My understanding is this is one of the longer TA's that RCCL does at 16 nights! I remember sailing RCCL last year and on the last night of the cruise they ran out of butter!!!

So, I'm wondering, what normally gets depleted first? My guess would be Fruits, jams, butters and deli meats.

Anyone have any insight?

We ran out of some fresh fruit at the end of the 13 day Voyager TA last October. This might have been because we had to avoid a storm and thus missed our planned stop at the Azores. They may have had plans to replenish some items there.

Most TA cruises include a stop in the Azores somewhere, usually Tenerife. This is a large agrucultural producing island, so it's where the big stock-up shopping occurs for ship's supplies.

We've been on several TA's and they've never run out of anything except some of the melons they have in the Windjammer for breakfast.

OMG!:eek: No butter? No limes for my mojitos? This is very bad...we're doing our first TA on April 6, 2013 - NOLA to Rome. Should I pack some butter and limes just in case? I can probably live without melon, but butter? limes? That might be a deal breaker.....

Judy

Most TA cruises include a stop in the Azores somewhere, usually Tenerife. This is a large agrucultural producing island, so it's where the big stock-up shopping occurs for ship's supplies.

We've been on several TA's and they've never run out of anything except some of the melons they have in the Windjammer for breakfast.

Tenerife is not in the Azores, it is in the Canary Islands. The Azores are off the coast of Portugal and the Canary Islands are off the cost of Morocco, I believe. Quite a distance from each other

I don't ever remember them running out of butter (I'm with the rest of you, have to have butter, don't do margarine or "spread") and we've done nine TA's. What you will see are bananas running out. You can tell they are going "downhill" when you start seeing banana muffins, banana bread, banana pancakes, etc. until they get to Nassau and can reload. On some TA's prunes have run out--not that I care but there are a lot that do. They haven't figured out there will be more "customers" on TA's for prunes than on regular cruises (lol).

Don't drink things that require limes or lemons so I can't comment on that.

Tucker in Texas

On most TAs, nothing of note seems to be missing.

Had one TA on the Brilliance with major losses, like bananas, breakfast ham, lemons, yogurt. I assumed this happens when they do a poor job of logistics for the food supplies.

Funny you should mention Brilliance. We're just off her TA and they ran out of many labels of wine and champagne:eek:. Although La Terre at the Diamond Event was one, so it wasn't all bad.:D Also skimmed milk, raisin bread (they must have run out of raisins, since they could have baked more), Canadian bacon and ingredients for Seaview Cafe items. But they did have plenty of fresh produce after re-provisioning in Reykjavik, so fresh fruit and veggies were in abundant supply as near as I could tell.

On our Voyager TA they ran out of V8 juice at breakfast. Not a major event, but we do enjoy our daily V8. However, to their great credit, the Voyager galley staff made their own V8!

The first time it was offered to us we said, "That's not V8".

The waiter said, "Yes it is our own V8, we are now making our own as we ran out of the original V8".

It was actually very good. You can imagine how much vegetable scraps, leafs and peelings, etc. are leftover in the galley. Why not make it into juice. We congratulate Voyager for that effort.

Rick and Deirdra

I don't ever remember them running out of butter (I'm with the rest of you, have to have butter, don't do margarine or "spread") and we've done nine TA's. What you will see are bananas running out. You can tell they are going "downhill" when you start seeing banana muffins, banana bread, banana pancakes, etc. until they get to Nassau and can reload. On some TA's prunes have run out--not that I care but there are a lot that do. They haven't figured out there will be more "customers" on TA's for prunes than on regular cruises (lol).

Don't drink things that require limes or lemons so I can't comment on that.

Tucker in Texas

On a TA from San Juan to Malaga in April they ran out of Bananas and the cartons of milk, the only milk they then had was the long life stuff, I normally pick up a couple of bananas and keep them in the cabin as I never like them when they are really green, last week we were on Vision sailing from Copenhagen to Southampton and I think they must have had too many, around day 3 a waiter came around the Windjammer at breakfast with a pile of them already peeled offering them to people, was quite funny, you almost expect them to ask for a seapass to cover the peeling charge :D

Wow. They couldn't figure out how to make butter? Any 8-year old can make butter as long as they have cream - heck most of us have made it accidentally when over whipping cream.

I'm assuming you are making a joke, right? I doubt that the ship will have enough cream to make the volume of butter required by all the passengers, and then they'd have a whipping cream shortage!!!

I'm assuming you are making a joke, right? I doubt that the ship will have enough cream to make the volume of butter required by all the passengers, and then they'd have a whipping cream shortage!!!

Actually, we did hear of a time when Allure made butter from cream! Last month we had a galley tour on Allure and the pastry chef, who was leading our tour, talked about a time when they ran out of butter. As I recall, it was butter needed in the galley for baking that they ran out of, not the little individually wrapped butters on the tables. They dealt with the situation by making butter from cream, but then they did indeed run out of cream on the last night!:o

Judy

Not really. Figure having butter available is more important than having whipped topping for desserts which, incidentally, can be made with powdered milk in a pinch. Not quite the same taste but will do.

I was on the Mariner back years ago, and even though it wasn't a TA, it was an itinerary that got lengthened by 3 days due to a hurricane. I can't remember which one.... Anyway, they started to run low on beer, yes beer! :eek: I only know this because as a past crew member, they took from the crew stores of alcohol to get through! LOL you can imagine the grumpy crew members then!:D

On one cruise the windjammer ran out of peanut butter! I asked one waiter and he went to the back & came back saying they had ran out of stock! :( Then my husband asked another "head" waiter and he came out with about 10 little tubs for us! I asked if those were all ours and he said certainly!!! :D

Funny you should mention Brilliance. We're just off her TA and they ran out of many labels of wine and champagne:eek:. Although La Terre at the Diamond Event was one, so it wasn't all bad.:D Also skimmed milk, raisin bread (they must have run out of raisins, since they could have baked more), Canadian bacon and ingredients for Seaview Cafe items. But they did have plenty of fresh produce after re-provisioning in Reykjavik, so fresh fruit and veggies were in abundant supply as near as I could tell.

I've heard it said that Brilliance is the one RC ship that is under management by a British subdivision. If true, this might explain a difference in the quality of food logistics.

I've heard it said that Brilliance is the one RC ship that is under management by a British subdivision. If true, this might explain a difference in the quality of food logistics.

Yes, that would explain a lot. And it is true about the British connection.

Rick and Deirdra

Archived