Anyone ever use GLOBAL ENTRY at a sea port

CoachT

One thing you neglect is they have a line for wheelchairs and give them a priority 1 so it takes the same amount of time. I know, as my wife has a card, I don't, she is in a wheelchair, I'm not. I go through with her and they check my passport and hers also. They didn't seem to care Feb 14 when we went to the Carribean weather or not she had the card. Coming home we were taken through Customs private office as my wife declared some jewelry, US made but purchased aboard. They just wanted to see the paperwork and they have to do it in a private office. There are 2 types of entry, see below. I refuse to pay $100 non refundable for an application.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/how-apply

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/automated-passport-control-apc

Edited by WupperAV

I wish you and kwokpot could get together and give definitive information re: GE kiosks at Port Everglades. There has been more misinformation posted concerning GE than on almost any other topic.

Has anyone actually used a global entry kiosk at Port Everglades (or at any other cruise terminal)? I do not mean "Saw a big Global Entry sign", or was able to use "special assistance".

I just finished 2 short Caribbean cruises from Port Everglades and can happily confirm Global Entry IS AVAILABLE AND ACTIVE at the port! We utilized it in 2 separate piers so I have no doubt is available at every pier at the port. As others users have mentioned PRESENTLY there are no automated kiosks and presenting the Global Entry card IS NOT NECESSARY (I would STILL bring it for piece of mind) There are signs directing Global Entry users to a separate line. Since we were doing back-to-back cruises but on different ships, we departed the first cruise approximately 10am. To my surprise there were probably 30-50 people on the standard passport control line. It was a breeze having just to waltz through the Global Entry line. The Border Agent remarked that he noticed we showed the Global Entry cards to the line agents as we were queuing and that was a first for him ;he actually had no idea what they looked like!

Today was our second disembarkation and we were among the 1st 40 people off our shop to catch an early flight. Even this time we still are able to bypass about 15 on the main line. Again it s not necessary to show the card. It was all based on the honor system.

I do wonder as it becomes more popular if there will be some way to verify who can us the line. Or, if someone goes on that line and is NOT part of the program, what happens? Will they get sent back to the regular line or will they just be processed through? Good question but at this point I'm only concerned that I can utilize the shorter line!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Port Everglades: New For 2016 Cruise Season - Global Entry

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival back in the United States. Upon debarkation, signage will direct cruise guests who are Global Entry participants to the front of the line in all cruise terminals.

Travelers must currently be enrolled in the Global Entry program and have gone through the approval process. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment. While Global Entry's goal is to speed travelers through the process, participants may still be selected for further examination.

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/

Just sayin': Port Everglades has Global Entry. I came in at terminal 4 this February (2016). I guess other terminals could be slightly different. There were no kiosks so unlike at the airport you need to have filled out the Customs Declaration Form (CBP Fm 6059B). There was a Global Entry sign in front of one queue (with a rope across it). Basically you just show them your Global Entry card and they allow you into that separate queue (which goes ahead of the other queues). Showing the Global Entry card was required. I went to the head of the line and it probably saved me 20 - 30 minutes. There weren't many others that had Global Entry on the cruise that I was on.

Edited by ScriptOhio

• 1 month later...

I just wish they would get it in at other major US ones. Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco and of course that other US one in Vancouver :D.

My last LA one wasn't too bad but the one before that was horrible. Apparently their "computers were down" and it delayed people getting off the ship by several hours. People missed their flight and basically their whole day in LA. We were among the first off. Originally it was to be 8:00 but they didn't start the first group moving until around 9:15. That got them off the ship but that was the dillugion. They were just shuffled to the front of a waiting line. The worst part was there was no place to sit, go to the bathroom and eat. Some people were in that line for over 2 hours. We are talking many little kids, many many older people and handicapped people.

I asked the Immigration guy when we finally made it to the check through about getting GE at the LA port and he said "I don't think they will ever have one for cruise ships". When I informed that they did in FLL he was very surprised. I guess they don't read their own websites.

• 7 months later...

Will this work at on our next two cruises? Embark out of Canaveral and then out of Tampa.

Ports of call George Town, Cozemel, Belize, Costa Maya and Falmouth. I am thinking Global Entry only spped up the checkpoint in and out of the USA, correct?

Thanks

Edited by FireStation46

• 1 month later...
Will this work at on our next two cruises? Embark out of Canaveral and then out of Tampa.

Ports of call George Town, Cozemel, Belize, Costa Maya and Falmouth. I am thinking Global Entry only spped up the checkpoint in and out of the USA, correct?

Thanks

There is no global Entry at Port Canaveral nor is there Mobile Passport. I was there 02.19.17.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I just wish they would get it in at other major US ones. Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco and of course that other US one in Vancouver :D.

My last LA one wasn't too bad but the one before that was horrible. Apparently their "computers were down" and it delayed people getting off the ship by several hours. People missed their flight and basically their whole day in LA. We were among the first off. Originally it was to be 8:00 but they didn't start the first group moving until around 9:15. That got them off the ship but that was the dillugion. They were just shuffled to the front of a waiting line. The worst part was there was no place to sit, go to the bathroom and eat. Some people were in that line for over 2 hours. We are talking many little kids, many many older people and handicapped people.

I asked the Immigration guy when we finally made it to the check through about getting GE at the LA port and he said "I don't think they will ever have one for cruise ships". When I informed that they did in FLL he was very surprised. I guess they don't read their own websites.

You can use Global Entry in Vancouver but you must use the card. Just ask and they will direct you to the correct line. It was very quick.

YA! At Canaveral and FL Your Tax and non-refundable Fees at work Bwahaha! Like I said before, my wife has a card but they still make her do passport Control into Dulles. However, she doesn't have to go thru the take off your shoes etc scanner.

• 2 months later...

We used our Global Entry card ( used coming back into the country only) when we disembarked from the Coral Princess at the Fort Lauderdale port. We are wondering if anyone has used it at Port Canaveral.

We used our Global Entry card ( used coming back into the country only) when we disembarked from the Coral Princess at the Fort Lauderdale port. We are wondering if anyone has used it at Port Canaveral.

There is no indication on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

that GE is at Port Canaveral. Only Miami and Port Everglades.

on 4/30/17 my wife and I got off the Vista in Miami.

The Global Entry marked line was closed off.

We then went to the next shortest line (only 2 people).

We had our GE cards sticking out of our passports. The gentleman looked at our GE cards, a quick glance at our passports, didn't even look at the Customs forms, welcomed us home, and quickly passed us through.

Has anyone done Cinq Terre on their own? If so, did you take the ferry one way and the trains back?

Not sure what this has to do with Global Entry, but all the info you will ever need about seeing the Cinque Terre on your own can be found on the Italy board, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Isn't one of the technical requirements for using GOES or similar entry, that you are doing so for BUSINESS purposes (when you compete the customs forms?)?

I thought I remembered reading in the application, but I did it years ago, or it could have been one of the even older susses from hers gone by.

We got our Global Entry cards last summer, nothing said on the applications nor in the interviews about Business. Maybe one time that was the way it was?

As I recall, when we arrived from a TA in Fort Lauderdale last fall, there was a sign on the wall, go around to the left with your GE card, basically avoid the long lines. Might have been the same deal in Miami early this spring but I don't specifically recall. We just don't get that stressed about the whole process, and go with the flow. If there is a shortcut available to us, we'll take it. If not, we'll chill.

Stan

We got our Global Entry cards last summer, nothing said on the applications nor in the interviews about Business. Maybe one time that was the way it was?

As I recall, when we arrived from a TA in Fort Lauderdale last fall, there was a sign on the wall, go around to the left with your GE card, basically avoid the long lines. Might have been the same deal in Miami early this spring but I don't specifically recall. We just don't get that stressed about the whole process, and go with the flow. If there is a shortcut available to us, we'll take it. If not, we'll chill.

Stan

You're replying to a post made more than 3 years ago. Lots of things might have been true years ago but aren't true today.

You're replying to a post made more than 3 years ago. Lots of things might have been true years ago but aren't true today.

Actually, no, I was replying to a current thread. Which happened to include some older messages, one of which I picked to comment on as a lead in. But my main point was and is to share my recent experience - Global Entry does work, it does provide benefits even for cruisers.

Actually, no, I was replying to a current thread. Which happened to include some older messages, one of which I picked to comment on as a lead in. But my main point was and is to share my recent experience - Global Entry does work, it does provide benefits even for cruisers.

Actually, yes. You quoted and replied to a post made in 2014, noting that your recently completed Global Entry application said nothing about business. You directly commented on that old post. If you wanted to make a simple comment that Global entry does work, why start it with questioning and disputing a very old post? Just make your statement. You probably just didn't bother to check the date on the post you quoted and now you're just backtracking to cover that.

...You probably just didn't bother to check the date on the post you quoted and now you're just backtracking to cover that.

Wow! Besides this amazing ability to read minds, do you have other special talents?

I am not sure why you are so upset because I referenced a post from 2014. Is there some sort of time limit? And I am not sure if you even read what I wrote. I did not either question nor dispute the older post, I used it as an "then it was, now it is ..." contrast. I am sorry if that offended you in some way. And by the way yes I did know that it was an older post. It came from cle-guy who has vanished. I first thought, "oh good, he is back!" and then saw the date, paused for a moment to wonder again why he suddenly dropped out of sight, and went on from there.

But back to the real discussion, I say again, my main point was and is to share my recent experience - Global Entry does work, it does provide benefits even for cruisers.

Twice during 2016 we returned to Ft. Lauderdale... both times, a 'bypass lane' was set up to the far right of the zig-zagging queue. An agent was standing there behind the 'closed' tape, next to a posted Global Entry sign. She looked at one of our cards, then waved our group into that lane. We paused only a moment at the other end before being directed to the next open customs agent. Well worth the extra $10 to upgrade the PreCheck to Global Entry.

Unless something has changed very recently, Pre Check is $85, Global Entry is $100.

Still.

If you have an AMEX Platinum card, AMEX will credit back the $100. And, it will do it again when you renew (I just renewed mine earlier this year). Even if you have to pay, GE is so worth the extra $15. You never know when you'll be crossing a border. And, GE gives you another piece of Government-issued ID to use that does not have so much PII on it - more security from prying eyes.